Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

most hype to least:

Mysterious Disappearances
Train to the End of the World
Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night
Girls' Band Cry
Spice & Wolf
The Many Sides of Voice Actor Radio
Bartender: Glass of God
Tonari no Youkai-san

i'll unstick the Winter thread and sticky this one when i'm at my computer later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

alright so the first ep of Train to the End of World is some extremely bizarre poo poo and is way too on-the-nose with le 7G bad but you know what, i love extremely bizarre poo poo so it's got my attention for the rest of the season

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

bizarre to me that the general consensus for S&W remake here so far is "mid" even among people who haven't watched the original, since i came off the first episode with a very positive impression. i'm very intrigued about the world and how the pair are going to navigate it and i thought the animation was really nice, plus it's prime time for non-isekai fantasy after the massive success of Frieren and Dungeon Meshi

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

the original had lighting and holo looked like a gremlin
didn't see anything noticeably wrong with the lighting and holo still seemed pretty gremlin to me. dunno

Southern Cassowary posted:

kind of want to throw on the first ep of the original and see what i think
i'm kinda tempted to as well but at the same time i don't think it'll stop me from continuing to watch the remake. if anything the remake coming out weekly will help me actually end up finishing it compared to the OG lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

changing the thread title to The Haterade Must Flow brb

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

it's both

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i can't believe Spice and Wolf is going to be what gives me an anyreusm

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

nothing you have ever said has hurt me more than implying im an isekai fan

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

my ultimate suggestion would just be that if youre curious about this convo watch the first ep of the og and draw your own conclusions.

i'll do that tonight i think. ultimately I can't refute any of what you're saying beyond your examples without doing that but i also can't disagree after seeing them? like yeah seeing those examples compared the remake does fall more in line with how modern isekai present themselves. that being said, if the OG took creative liberties with the LNs to make itself more dynamic and this one is more muted to more accurately reflect them then really, both have equal merit for different reasons. i mentioned not watching the original before but i also only began watching anime, christ, 6-7 years ago and not heavily until 2020 so i was far removed from an era that took more liberties and tended to have a different style than the modern anime adaptations which likely colors a good chunk of my perception that there's nothing majorly wrong with episode one

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

Has there ever been a good remake of anything?

Paper Mario TTYD Remake GOTY

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

technically if you really think about it Holo isekai'd herself into Lawrence's wagon

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

said before the season started to a friend that Train may be a sleeper hit of Spring and things are looking optimistic for that

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

gently caress it im going full contrarian. gremlin Holo sucks, gently caress your rip-off Wicker Man effigy, and Chloe who?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

your heart isnt in this

much like spice and wolf 2024

i know

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/Tohkamiya/status/1774847434700542127

DING DING DONG LIKE KING KONG. Also questionable drool what the gently caress is this opening.

this the type of poo poo GateofD watches all of and calls "good but flawed"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

that one gets about 2-3 episodes

2-3 more than it deserves

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

why does it linger on the cum title for like 40 seconds

Foreshadowing is a narrative device in which

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lol that that's the second poo poo isekai that i know of that Studio DEEN made this season

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

might make a thread for Train before next episode...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bartender: Kami no Glass starting off stronger than i expected tbh. solid set-up for the plot, a good bit of levity, and the animation and sound design for the actual drink mixing is very crisp. looking forward to more

it shall be done at some point tonight

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

AnoHito posted:

255 makes more sense to me, given their apocalypse was caused by a tech issue

this

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

Bartender - First ep seems good so far. I do like learning about bartending stuff despite not being as much of a drinker so this appeals to me, even if it's a pretty slower paced sort of drama.

This is kinda lmao though

i am completely okay with it occasionally taking itself so seriously it loops back around to being funny

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

haypliss posted:

Sad to see the ReMonster OP take up all the air this week when stuff like this is out there going uncommented on.

https://files.catbox.moe/2hbevt.mp4

poo poo making me feel like I'm on Soarin' at Epcot

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

it shall be done at some point tonight

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057865

added to the OP too

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

read somewhere that Girls Band Cry isn't licensed for streaming anywhere outside of Japan currently, is that right? was looking forward to the first ep today but that may not be in the cards...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

streaming...when...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

someone post a link to the first episode of Girls Band Cry or i will actually kill myself

e: just showed up on my completely legal and free site. see you all later

symbolic fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 6, 2024

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

i will wait for non-MTL subs

these subs don't seem MTL. skill issue

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the one set of english subs i see on my completely legal free site of choice explicitly say they're mtl

if mine are i can't discern any irregularities. skill issue

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

anyways first ep was very solid, CGI felt less natural than it did in MyGO but it was still done rather well, looking forward to more

e: as i was typing this the translation spat out "it's joever"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

also for the record the deal with the girls band cry subs is that some guy posted mostly done subs, someone else stole them and MTL'd a few random lines and inserted some memes, and then splashed them all over various piracy sites

so the guy who actually did the TL isnt gonna fansub it anymore

in light of recent events I can't outright say what should be done to MTL freaks like that but rest assured it would be just deserts

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mordja posted:

Hope he solves someone's life problems with a jagerbomb

i solve many of my life's problems with jagerbombs

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

watched the first ep of Jellyfish, expected great stuff since Doga Kobo is one of my favorite studios in terms of sheer style and was not disappointed. visually gorgeous with some incredible scene direction e.g. a lot of slow panning camera shots during convos, Mahiru's flashbacks intertwining with her in present day, and the sweeping angle shots during Kano's performance. the general plot isn't anything standout especially with Girls Band Cry mirroring it just this season, but it still feels weirdly unique? part of which is probably it being a general artist collective of sorts rather than a band but i think the aforementioned scene direction really makes it stand out too, almost feels cinematic at times. if they can eliminate the cringe fanservice SC mentioned then this is going to give fierce competition to my favorite anime of the season later on

will be checking out Tonaro no Youkai-san tomorrow

e: also watching the end credits of Jellyfish and maybe i'm misreading but did CloverWorks, SHAFT, and ufotable all have guest animators in this? because if so, drat, it shows

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the last time i had jagerbombs they created more problems than they solved

skill issue

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

pork never goes bad posted:

Looks like Mysterious Disappearances is also not licensed for streaming.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tonari no Youkai-san was the one i listed in my first post as the one i felt like i'd be most likely to drop after watching PVs but after the first ep i don't know if i will. nothing that wowed me but i like the concept and it almost weirdly to me had a western slice-of-life/"show about nothing" vibe? i don't think i can really explain it but the viewer getting thrown into a small-town setting with all these different characters just gave me that feeling. granted the end of the episode kinda veered off from the mundane but in a way that may benefit it. overall, good stuff

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

yeah, i also noticed that. really made the world feel lived-in.

yeah that helps with the western slice-of-life vibe i was struggling to explain

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

picking the youkai one, passing on train
love the cat and the cucumber youkai. the softness of everything reminds me of Natsume Book of Friends

going for jellyfish and euphonium and passing on Girls Band

you should watch all of those actually

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

absolutely astounded by the multiple posts that said this season was looking to be weak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Spookydonut posted:

i think its funnier for people to find out about it after they were invested in the story... like i was :negative:

it's even funnier to leave terrible "plot twists" of decade old LNs i will never read like that unspoiled to laugh at