Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Stacked season IMO. Continuing Dungeon Meshi, will check out seasons 3 of Euphonium, YuruCamp, and probably KonoSuba, and then there's like a dozen shows that I'm at least somewhat interested in. Shuumatsu Train, Jellyfish, and Whisper Me a Love Song all look good. Dark horse pick uhhh Mysterious Disappearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Spice and Wolf was... okay? I know next to nothing about the original series, but the first episode of the new series was kind of bland. Boring visuals, no amazing plot hook, OP that felt like it was thrown together in five minutes... I guess I'll give it one or two more episodes now that the setup is out of the way, but not a great start.

Shuumatsu Train on the other hand, I really enjoyed. Breakneck pacing that matched the absurd setting, a couple of really good jokes, looking forward to more.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Henjin no Salad Bowl: Pretty good first episode. Fantasy princess gets reverse isekai'd to present-day Japan, and ends up working with a small-time private detective. Nothing amazing comedy-wise, but good energy and solid animation. Catchy OP, too.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Watching anime, three good first episodes in a row.

Wind Breaker: Wasn't planning on checking this out, but I'm glad I did. "Punks with hearts of gold protecting the neighborhood" is a great premise, and based on the OP and ED it looks like it'll have a fun cast of characters. The big fight scene looked really good too, hopefully they can keep up this level of quality.

Girls Band Cry: I thought this looked really good. The 3D animation looks amazingly smooth in motion, and the first episode was peppered with little sakuga moments. Not exactly the most original premise, but it's got a lot of energy, and I'm a sucker for band animes in general. Two middle fingers up.

Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night: Looks great, very colorful and lively animation. Very similar actually to Girls Band Cry in its narrative setup. Definitely planning on sticking with it.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Big Leg posted:

train episode 2 continues to be extremely good

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Dropping some shows.

Seiyuu Radio: Not terrible, just kind of flat and lifeless. Reminded me of Yuri Is My Job with its focus on public vs private personas, and I didn't gel with that show either.

Mysterious Disappearances: Bad. Horny in a gross way (I wanted to drop it five seconds into the OP), boring dime-a-dozen premise, unimpressive visuals. The only highlight was the ska ED.

Spice and Wolf: Still not feeling this after episode 2; the writing is stilted, I don't like either of the main VAs, and this new version looks worse than the original in every way.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Shiny Colors: They've been cranking out new Idolmaster series lately, and while they're all very similar, this one really didn't have anything going for it. Boring main trio, lifeless cliche-ridden setup, bland CGI visuals. Dropped before the end of the first episode.

Kaijuu 8: Quite enjoyed this, between the likeable lead and the flashy action. Not sure where it'll go from here, but I'm on board for now.

Whisper Me a Love Song: Good.

I think I've now checked out everything from my "maybe" list, aside from Euphonium S3 which I might wanna rewatch from the start first.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Tales of Woe posted:

the op looks like a graphics card ad

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be partially AI generated.

Whisper Me A Love Song continues to be good, I'm glad they didn't leave the misunderstanding hanging for longer than they needed to.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Girls Band Cry has been growing on me. Nina is such a mess, and watching Momoka use every tactic in the book to try and shape that mess into something resembling a singer is a lot of fun. It's a lot more conflict-based than Jellyfish (which I think right now might be the better show, but not by a huge margin), and the conflict is a lot more immediate and in-your-face than in MyGo, so I think it does manage to carve out its own space. The animation quality is holding up well too, I love the depression particle effect they use whenever Nina takes psychic damage.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Edward IV posted:

I'll have you know Nishiya Chiaki is a Volkswagen Golf Mk1. :colbert:

Imagine what an insufferable rear end in a top hat the BMW tsukumogami must be.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

same

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah it's all falling a bit flat for me. On paper it should be a series which kicks rear end (I was hyping it in the Cinema Discusso kaiju thread for months, lol) but it's just not coming together for me for some reason.

It hasn't done itself any favors by launching straight into a kind of tournament arc. It's a convenient way to throw in some exposition and introduce secondary characters, sure, but it also killed a lot of the momentum of the first two episodes, and this whole two-episode arc has been predictable start to finish (we already know Kafka is going to make it onto the force, it's right there in the ED). I'm holding out until they get past all this setup, but it definitely has slipped in my personal ranking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

i think im gbc > jellyfish > whisper right now, but all three are good, band anime supremacy