Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Wrappers
500g flour
200ml water (+~10ml for Aquafaba and 1 teaspoon salt)

Filling
1x leek
8x bok choy
5x shiitaki mushrooms
1 clove of garlic
Ginger
4x vegan sausage
Sesame oil

Sauce
Soy Sauce
Rice Vinegar
Chili Oil

In the past I’ve typically just made wrappers with flour/water but read that an egg helped elasticity and the resilience of the wrappers when being boiled so I decided to give the aquafaba egg substitute a try (spoiler, I was pleased with my wrappers).

I placed all the dry ingredients together and very slowly mixed in 210ml of hot water making sure the flour absorbed the small quantities of water before mixing in more. When that was done, I kneaded the the dough for about 7-8 minutes before letting it rest for about 2 hours. I believe an hour is enough but I had a bunch of things to do so, why not.

The filling! Pretty simple, just chopped it all up into tiny pieces, the vegan sausages I picked up are pre cooked so boiling them along with the veggies when the dumplings are folded is enough, although I am curious as to how it would taste if I fried everything first.

Not pictured, the shiitake mushrooms and the final chopped form. The leek pieces at this stage are simply too big to be easily managed when filling the wrappers, I got ahead of myself when I took this photo. You'll be able to see what you want your filling to look like in later photos in this post. I also like placing the finished filler in a giant tupperware since it's easier to store, I rarely make enough dumplings in one shot to use it all, I'd probably have to make another 1000g worth of dough to be able to use all of the filling.

With the dough ready,I punch a hole and then shape into a ring and then cut to form a cylinder. I placed the dough snake underneath a humid tea towel to keep it from drying out. Cut ~1 inch pieces, although this will depend on the diameter, off the dough snake and then roll them around in your palm until you have a ball. Having recently moved I couldn’t find my hand sized rolling pin so I used a tortilla press to speed up the process and then a can of tomato paste to flatten out out the balls. However, I didn’t realize at first that the top and bottom lip of the can was preventing the wrappers from getting flattened appropriately so I had to go back and roll them some more, this time with the metal cup you see in the top right, which also conveniently allowed me to cut out a perfectly sized dumpling wrapper.

The folding. Place the filling in the middle, pinch the opposite sides together and fold 4-5 creases on the side closest to you until you’ve done half, flip the dumpling so it’s facing away from you and folder the other side in the same fashion. When done use both hands, I had to hold the camera with one to take the picture, to slowly push any air out of the wrapper which will be important when boiling them, otherwise they probably won’t sink and will be more prone to falling apart.

To help the wrapper stick together when folding, after placing the filling on the wrapper and before folding, dip your finger in water and draw a circle around the edge wetting it, a very thin layer of flour will help glue it shut. Also, a thin layer of flour will help prevent your wrappers from sticking together when stacked on top of each other.

When you’re getting down to your last 10 or so dumplings to be folded, put some water on in a deep pot for boiling so it’s ready when you are. Dump the dumplings in, and they’ll start floating to the top when ready. If you're planning on frying, and maybe even if you're not, placing them a towel (paper or otherwise) or a slanted surface will help them dry, otherwise the bottom of the dumpling might get soggy and that's no fun. Another indicator of readiness will be the wrappers becoming translucent, allowing you to see what you’ve placed inside.

I’ll also confess to pretty much never eating dumplings simply boiled, fried is the way to go. Place enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan, place the dumplings on top and start frying. They’ll probably stick, which is nothing to worry about because as when they’re ready, they’ll naturally unstick themselves. You’ll be able to tell by looking at the edge of the dumpling which will naturally start turning brown, you can see the difference in picture #3 and #4 in the last sequence.

Sauce! I use about 2 parts soy sauce, 1 part rice vinegar, and chili oil, to taste. Whatever tastes good to you is the way to go. I do appreciate using chili oil since it helps the sauce properly cover the dumplings when dipped.

And the last but most important step, Enjoy!

digitalist fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i eat a lot of gyoza and i would absolutely devour these. looks great!!!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I am super jealous of the gorgeous folding

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

These are extremely beautiful, makes me wanna make gyoza now :3:

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Thank you for the kind words!

I was once told I made dumplings like an old Chinese woman, by an old Chinese woman. But she had a hand in teaching me how, so there might have it might have been somewhat self serving :)

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme
I didn't know aquafaba powder was a thing - brilliant!

Baby bok choy is one of my favorite veggies and I love Gusta brand vegan sausages, I will definitely need to make this recipe.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That aquafaba powder is blowing my mind. Pretty crazy how in a few years it went from not existing to its own thing? Anyways the gyoza look great. Awesome folding. I'm curious to try those sausages some time.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
So neat, and they sound really tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

Bollock Monkey posted:

So neat, and they sound really tasty.

I've been fortunate enough to have these IRL and they absolutely are. They have a serious drawback though in that you can accidentally eat all of them, and then you don't have any more of them :(