Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

SNL returns tonight for its sixth block of shows of the season, leading into April. Yes this is copy pasted from the previous thread. Things feels exciting and fresh in SNL World these days as we lurch towards 50.

Ok not really. This time we have a great host to lead off the block! Ramy Youssef, who is NOT the first Egyptian to host (more on that later), has been on the radar lately for his turn in Poor Things. I haven't seen that yet but I did quite enjoy his eponymous Hulu show, which was semi-autobiographical. At this point in this particular season I don't expect much tonight, but at least it'll be nice to see Ramy and hey, maybe the show will break out of its funk! He will be joined by Travis Scott, who returns for his second time on the stage.

Before we get to the new poo poo, here's a couple BtS vids you may have missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=589WD0_zErE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6a5CuckP8I

On with the promos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEf18-FWlwM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb5PbdGX6BA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3E81i5bEkk

We got photos!

And on right now, a repeat of the last live show, Josh Brolin with Ariana Grande.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
"Well... ya both said 'Durango!'"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They've literally written like no roles for women this episode. One was in the fake ad for ten seconds and they had a couple as characters who barely had lines in the game show.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Just stay home and send in a music video for the show to play if you want to do this goofy poo poo.

Edit: Ok robotic crane shot is cool.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

If anyone else was wondering where James Genus was, it looks like he’s on tour with Herbie Hancock. It threw me for a loop during the monologue.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Freaquency posted:

If anyone else was wondering where James Genus was, it looks like he’s on tour with Herbie Hancock. It threw me for a loop during the monologue.

I was, but I am amazed anyone else on this forum was too!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Bold prediction: The chuds of the internet will take offense that Maddie laughed throughout Ramy's (actually funny) monologue but not at Shane Gillis'.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Seemed like they didn’t give the host much to do on this one.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Cut for time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrG0NHLa0zE

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
OK.

I liked how they did a political cold open this time. It was pretty great, honestly.

And the CSI: Alley Behind The Pizzaria bit was hilarious, mainly because that's a bit I and a couple of people I know do, and also because Sarah Sherman was trying really hard not to break in anticipation of the joke.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Can I just say that Andrew Dismukes is really good and Marcello Hernández is really bad?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jubs posted:

Can I just say that Andrew Dismukes is really good and Marcello Hernández is really bad?

No.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Before this I had confused Rami Youssef with Rami Malek so I was very confused when he started doing standup.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I'm finishing this at the theatre so i have to be quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO9PgLcmtTk

Kristen Wiig, 5-timer! The Home show does count. Raye, cool UK singer! First time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VjLA0d9Us8

Read-through!

And Thursday promo shoot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXJ0VvOp_U

In prime time is a repeat of Ramy from last week. Excitement! Now i'm gonna watch Magnolia on a big screen. Nice.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
"I'm sure my fourth time is coming up, right? I haven't hosted since 2010--"

"HOW DARE YOU PUT LORNE ON THE SPOT!! I haven't hosted since 2012..."

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Honestly, Hamm should be hosting every season. Multiple times a season. I just want more Hamm and Buble 🤣

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can’t believe nobody fell over the dialogue in that sketch, tons of tongue twisters.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
That was all it took to get out of Jumanji in the first place?!

"Just remember, if ya lose the game, ya die in real life! Hope that helps! ALL ABOARD!"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I AM THE TABLE

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm liking this episode so far - the Jumanji and Pilates sketches were bangers.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I get the feeling that pratfall didn't exactly work as expected. Like the wall only half gave way. Hamm's reaction was pretty great.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So this is Raye? I like her.

pwn
May 27, 2004

That nyc tchotchke hat is pure joy

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t want to jinx things, but with Aunt Linda on I think we’ve escaped an appearance from Garth and Kat that was looking ominous.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
This has been enjoyable. Even a decent cold open.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Lol everone's wearing a five timer jacket

Finally another decent episode.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Am I imagining things or have they changed the pacing of the segments for quite a while now?

The first musical act and Weekend Update are pushed back a bit, then it's one, maybe two more sketches, musical act #2, one, maybe two more sketches and then it's goodbyes.

Cold open and monologue for this episode was a bit over 13 minutes. Sketches themselves feel like they are meandering and could easily could be cut shorter across the board.

Can someone with an archive check if the number of actual sketches has gone down noticeably?

This episode had a runtime of 67 minutes, from minute 32 (first musical act) until the end there have been only two actual sketches.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

mcbexx posted:

Sketches themselves feel like they are meandering and could easily could be cut shorter across the board.

That part seems normal to me

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mcbexx posted:

Am I imagining things or have they changed the pacing of the segments for quite a while now?

The first musical act and Weekend Update are pushed back a bit, then it's one, maybe two more sketches, musical act #2, one, maybe two more sketches and then it's goodbyes.

Cold open and monologue for this episode was a bit over 13 minutes. Sketches themselves feel like they are meandering and could easily could be cut shorter across the board.

Can someone with an archive check if the number of actual sketches has gone down noticeably?

This episode had a runtime of 67 minutes, from minute 32 (first musical act) until the end there have been only two actual sketches.

It's been a bit all over the place the last ten years or so. Like in 2014- 2016, when Weekend Update was really popular, the musical act would be on at like 11:55 and WU would come on just after midnight and run for 15 minutes.

Then they switched to sponsored sketches and less ad breaks and started front loading the first half hour and eventually pushing back the musical guest.

They probably started getting some analytics about how many people were shutting off after WU and/or how many people started just watching on YouTube where order doesn't mean anything.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Best episode of the season.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Everyone brought their A-game for this episode, but nobody is talking about RAYE. I was already a fan, but I thought she gave two star-making performances.

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!
Raye is amazing, she used to write a lot of stuff for others but after seeing her on Jools Holland (with an amazing dress *cough* *cough*), she delighted here, very Jeff Buckley if that makes sense if you ever heard his jazzy stuff live. I usually tune out, but the music and singing was ace.

Funking Giblet fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 7, 2024

pwn
May 27, 2004

The show said last season that they don't do sponsored sketches. Personally I wonder but to be clear, if there was sponsorship, they would legally be required to disclose it (usually in the credits).

And Raye loving owned. Echoing this sentiment—

https://twitter.com/thatweekinsnl/status/1776841187074191627?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 7, 2024

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Yeah the musical guest was a class act and I was floored by her performance: totally unexpected, even after vibing with her on the radio.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jerry Retirement was one of the best sketches of the season

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://x.com/zackbornstein/status/1779009461174350266?s=46&t=_t3R3O4inwGCyXxW88QslQ

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wonder if a boring political opener was tossed at last minute for this. I approve.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I know the sketch is old hat at this point, but goddamn if I don't enjoy the hell out of it every single time.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
"You should tell a therapist this..."

"(My therapist got dementia because of covid. I keep going to them because I feel bad, but it's like talking to a coconut! Help me, Brad!)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

drat, remember how bad the show was just a few episodes back? Every sketch tonight has hit.