Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should win!
TychoCelchuuu's Momos
Grandicap's Knish
Kumba's Dessert Dumplings
Ulillinguist's Crystal 'egg' Dumplings
TheCog's Trio of Tastiness!
digitalist's Gyowza!
View Results

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's April 1st, and that means... It's time to rank some dumplings!

Voting ends in a week.

Here are the entries:
TychoCelchuuu: Behold, my momos.
Grandicap: Judge my Knish!
Kumba: Dumplings for Desert!
Ulillinguist: Crystal 'egg' Dim Sum
TheCog: A Trio of Dumplings
digitalist:Gyowza!

To me they all look extremely great, but how do they look to you? There's only one way to find out...

FIGHT!

modedit: added a final entry to poll and OP

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It's a crime that I'm not allowed to edit it myself. I should have put a 73 somewhere in the title.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme
Cross posting: Digitalist made an ICSA 73 entry in Goons with Spoons, but never linked it to the main ICSA73 thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057468&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Can a mod edit it into the poll for me?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Done!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Thanks!

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Cha Gheill! :)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

digitalist posted:

Cha Gheill! :)

Oil thigh na Banrighinn a'Banrighinn gu brath!

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

angerbot posted:

Oil thigh na Banrighinn a'Banrighinn gu brath!

I’ve changed my username since but in your DMs you’ll find a 10 year old or so attempt at planning a goonmeet, good to see old faces :)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'll end the polling at some point on the 7th.

I've really enjoyed doing this. :3: Seeing what you've all made is great, and it's motivated me to make bao, which I had never managed to make work before.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

They all looked really good, but I had to choose just one. Wish I could have joined in, but my work situation kept me from participating. I don't know if there would have been any way for me to make vegan dumplings when the only thing I had to cook with for a month was a hotel room microwave and coffee pot.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Last day to get your votes in, or we'll have to have a t-t-t-t-tiebreaker!

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

Last day to get your votes in, or we'll have to have a t-t-t-t-tiebreaker!

WHOOAAAA!! :derp:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Ah! I forgot, I meant to do it this morning!

Judging is closed, let's see who won!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Coming in hot, in first place with 8 votes, it's TychoCelchuuu's M-M-M-Momos!

Hot on their heels in second place and 7 votes, it's Kumba's Delicious Dessert Dumplings! My partner really wants to make these (and also the momos)

Screeching into third, it's Ulillinguist's Crystal 'egg' Dumplings! I really liked the idea of these.

Please send me a DM with a way to send you money and we'll get it sorted out. (either paypal or bank transfer or steam gift card!)

Congrats to all the winners, and thanks to everyone who's taken part! I had a lot of fun with this. :3: I'll do an easier one next month, I swear!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 8, 2024

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Congrats to our winners! Truly wonderful and undoubtedly delicious dishes which have inspired me to try some new things :)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’ve got to say, they were all great, but those dessert dumplings were something else, incredible

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It was a great round of ICSA! Very creative and I learned about aquafaba powder!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nettle Soup posted:

Coming in hot, in first place with 8 votes, it's TychoCelchuuu's M-M-M-Momos!

Hot on their heels in second place and 7 votes, it's Kumba's Delicious Dessert Dumplings! My partner really wants to make these (and also the momos)

Screeching into third, it's Ulillinguist's Crystal 'egg' Dumplings! I really liked the idea of these.

Please send me a DM with a way to send you money and we'll get it sorted out. (either paypal or bank transfer or steam gift card!)

Congrats to all the winners, and thanks to everyone who's taken part! I had a lot of fun with this. :3: I'll do an easier one next month, I swear!

Hooray! I can't DM and also I don't want the money (I'm not even sure I can get it, since I'm in India) so please donate my prize to charity or whatever.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

I'm incredibly flattered to have been voted third place amongst such stiff competition, thank you. This was very fun! :yaycat:

Everyone did such an amazing job and I'm excited to try every recipe!

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 9, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Hooray! I can't DM and also I don't want the money (I'm not even sure I can get it, since I'm in India) so please donate my prize to charity or whatever.

I'll give it to World Central Kitchen then!

Sent $10 to Ulillinguist and around $25 to World Central Kitchen, the bit extra to cover their conversion fees and whatever.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 9, 2024

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I actually really liked the relative simplicity of this ICSA, it almost made me tempted to enter. If you're after feedback for future rounds, I think alternating something like this with the type that needs super high effort to make 3 courses and a drink and all that would be nice. It's interesting to see how different people approach a straightforward brief, and it'd be great to hopefully inspire more people to get involved. Especially if we can get the thread travelling again!

Great entries, really well done everyone. And thanks so much Nettle Soup for for facilitating! These competitions have long been one of my favourite SA reads.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I appreciate the kind words from everyone!! I didn't actually think I had a shot :D

This was a fun one to think about, I hope y'all give dessert dumplings a try and let me know how you improve upon them!! I am definitely stealing the pb&j dumpling idea, will report back when I have results

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

kumba posted:

I appreciate the kind words from everyone!! I didn't actually think I had a shot :D

This was a fun one to think about, I hope y'all give dessert dumplings a try and let me know how you improve upon them!! I am definitely stealing the pb&j dumpling idea, will report back when I have results

We ended up with a few bits of leftover baozi dough, filled it with banana, enough peanut butter to get things moving and a single frozen cherry.
Added some ground cinnamon, ginger & galangal. It was pretty drat good. In fact I might have one from the freezer for lunch today!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

kumba posted:

Money sent! That's everyone paid out!

Now to go set the steamer up...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Bollock Monkey posted:

I actually really liked the relative simplicity of this ICSA, it almost made me tempted to enter. If you're after feedback for future rounds, I think alternating something like this with the type that needs super high effort to make 3 courses and a drink and all that would be nice. It's interesting to see how different people approach a straightforward brief, and it'd be great to hopefully inspire more people to get involved. Especially if we can get the thread travelling again!

Great entries, really well done everyone. And thanks so much Nettle Soup for for facilitating! These competitions have long been one of my favourite SA reads.

Yeah, I wanted something easy to start off with. It's been a while since one has been done so we don't have a huge stable of regulars coming in, and starting out with "make me a three course meal for six" seemed a bit much.

I worried a bit that making it vegan might have pushed some people away, because everything is more complicated when you can't add pork, but I was super happy with the results!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah, I wanted something easy to start off with. It's been a while since one has been done so we don't have a huge stable of regulars coming in, and starting out with "make me a three course meal for six" seemed a bit much.

I worried a bit that making it vegan might have pushed some people away, because everything is more complicated when you can't add pork, but I was super happy with the results!

Having it vegan is actually the reason why I clicked and decided to participate, it being a simple dish (but not necessary easy) also helped. I can absolutely see why a 3 course meal would be a fun thing but it's not something I do for myself too often, and being vegan would certainly put a damper on dishes where animal products are hard to get around.

I'm probably not the main demographic so I'm not sure how much effort you should put towards marketing to people in my shoes to help get more people participating in here. However, I did really appreciate learning about other people's version of the dish and how they went about making them, it will certainly help me improve. There are a few dishes that I make well enough that would probably get me to do this again though :) Noodles with peanut sauce being one, and I've been meaning to make Xian hand pulled noodles which I've made in the past with left over dumpling dough. But anything vegan and I'd definitely consider it.

Anyway, thanks for organizing this, I had fun :)