Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Stexils posted:

ive been playing through black mesa. overall the game has been a real treat. the graphic update combined with some streamlining of some rougher edges of the original was very enjoyable. then i got xen and....its too long. its so long. the first level was like an hour straight of jungle platforming and by the end i was so bored. and looking online apparently interloper is like 2-3 hours. xen'd again...

xen is so loving bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

people needed to stfu their bad opinions re: half life 1 xen. look where that got us. oh my god when you first teleport there in bm and that cheesefest intro starts playing

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kinda xenophobic

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
speaking of xenos, i love monolith's worlds

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When a game scales up a doodad as a landscape feature I like to try and spot the original size ones throughout the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

speaking of xenos, i love monolith's worlds

Monolith pulls loving magic out of the Wii/U/Switch.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Khanstant posted:

When a game scales up a doodad as a landscape feature I like to try and spot the original size ones throughout the game.

I remember having my mind blown when someone told me there’s only one rock 3D model in Halo, and it’s always rotated or partly submerged in the ground so you don’t notice

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

did you know the clouds in super mario brothers (nes) are just the bushes colored white

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

who's to say the bushes aren't clouds colored green

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Now that I'm getting the hang of it I really enjoy the movement in Spiderman 2 despite how much more technical and touchy it is compared to the newer games. Dislike the combat a lot though

mystes
May 31, 2006

Endorph posted:

did you know the clouds in super mario brothers (nes) are just the bushes colored white
Maybe the "bushes" are just green vape clouds

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

As far as I could tell 13 sentinels was sad kids get into to the robot shinji'd with a twist that's even sadder.

That 100% ain't it. It's a mystery / intrigue story with a bit of a sci-fi twist. Also, according to the internet, I'm the only person on Earth who liked the gameplay.

Runa posted:

As someone who unlocked weapon and armor limits in EDF5 multiplayer, Helldivers 2 is a bit too grindy for my tastes.

drat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've said this in the past but 13 Sentinels is legitimately great science fiction. It also happens to be a complex and layered mystery.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I don't like rts games in general. 13 Sentinels was a slog during the combat, but the story was fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I get why they went for the aesthetic they did but 13 Sentinels would have been a lot better if the strong Vanillaware aesthetic carried over to the fights. I think the graphics they chose were probably the only thing they could do on a budget but I think it detracts from the game as a whole.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I still need to try yakisoba pan some day

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My kid loves yakisoba pan and shares it with his best friend every time I make it. He only tried it because of the game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wish 13 sentinels was on pc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I wish 13 sentinels was on pc

I genuinely would love to know why Vanillaware is so opposed to their stuff being on PC.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely would love to know why Vanillaware is so opposed to their stuff being on PC.

Bill Gates called Fantasy Earth: Ring of Dominion mediocre and they've carried the grudge for two decades

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

Bill Gates called Fantasy Earth: Ring of Dominion mediocre and they've carried the grudge for two decades

that's fair to be honest

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the Gaypril thread open, and just rename it to Maypril

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Infinitum posted:

Keep the Gaypril thread open, and just rename it to Gay

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Is there a thread for stupid "gamer" culture like that whole goonergate/stellar blade thing? Or are such threads too difficult to moderate and therefore banned?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

busalover posted:

Is there a thread for stupid "gamer" culture like that whole goonergate/stellar blade thing? Or are such threads too difficult to moderate and therefore banned?

they've cropped up before here and there, but they tend to get sidetracked into weird arguments about other topics because there's not much to discuss beyond rubbernecking at bad opinions

i do find poo poo like that amusing but it's the kind of amusement that's best viewed behind the glass enclosure of twitter and not something you stick your arm into

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jay Rust posted:

I don't mind stylized old-timey dialogue at all, i just get the impression that the game's gonna be dry as hell, which was how triangle strategy and octopath 1 felt to me. Different devs to be fair

But these screenshots... why do they all have to be nerds...:

tired: boring old polite, stilted ye olde englishe dialog

wired: guy making GBS threads in an outhouse

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

tired: boring old polite, stilted ye olde englishe dialog

wired: guy making GBS threads in an outhouse

felvidek ftw

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

busalover posted:

WoW subforum has wowplayers.txt, which is just straight up dunking on dumb posts/angry posting/bigots

videogames.txt would probably be a cool thread, but you'd need similar rules.
- no dunking on Goons.
- Source your quotes
- Take discussion to other threads when possible

Not sure if something like that would have enough legs in it before it crawled up it's own arse with drama, but there's always tons of video game nothingburgers to dunk on

Rarity posted:

Infinitum posted:

Keep the Gaypril thread open, and just rename it to Gay

:hmmyes:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Gamer culture is liveposting your gaming in the gen chat thread :hai:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We've had multiple threads like that before and they always turn to poo poo and get gassed lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

We've had multiple threads like that before and they always turn to poo poo and get gassed lol

Yeah any mockthread inevitably gets weird, in a bad way, when people start feeling like they need to dig for content for the thread to laugh at and then start really scraping well past the point anybody reasonable would've stuck around.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

people do post twitter weirdo tidbits here from time to time, but i think the majority of thread regulars are in the right headspace about it to just make some brief remarks and then move on to greener pastures

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also we post cool pets ITT occasionally

Glitch is now entering Winter Mode, aka being asleep under my desk half the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

Also we post cool pets ITT occasionally

Glitch is now entering Winter Mode, aka being asleep under my desk half the day.

hell yeah