Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

The screenshots of battles look like my kind of gameplay

but then i see a screenshot like this and i think, "god i don't have the energy for this anymore"

They have to take screenshots of those for marketing because it goes so fast when playing they couldn't catch it on video. Nobody who bought the game is sure what any of the cutscenes say, but when you blink and they're over, you just get new army people to use which is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Last time they trimmed fat it was a bunch of loser properties like *checks notes* Tomb Raider and Hitman and Deus Ex?
those games went absolutely massively over budget and didnt sell well enough to justify it and the devs were actively hostile to square's input. they were right to cut them. why did tomb raider 2013 cost twice as much to make as witcher 3

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
All the money went into lara's hair

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

I hope that trimming just hits the bad AAA trend chasing slop and not the midbudget non FF RPGs they've been releasing that have been really good
in the modern day a 140 million loss on in development games is only 2-3 games, and most of their midbudget non FF RPGs sell really well. the ceo specifically singled out the recent saga stuff as a big seller that theyre proud of and want to push more, and thats the definition of midbudget weirdness.

theyre making the same call sega did when they shitcanned Hyenas, they're pulling out of console live service stuff. foamstars was clearly meant to be a first salvo of that and fell hard on its face. theres no particular reason to think they're bailing on anything interesting or worthwhile.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like octopath 2 sold more copies than ff7r2, and obviously thats because octopath 2 is on switch and pc too but, i dont know why people are like 'ah this means octopath is dead.' the only possibly interesting thing i could see them having cut is a twewy 3 but i dont think one would have even been greenlit with twewy 2's sales and nomura being busy with kh4.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Khanstant posted:

They have to take screenshots of those for marketing because it goes so fast when playing they couldn't catch it on video. Nobody who bought the game is sure what any of the cutscenes say, but when you blink and they're over, you just get new army people to use which is pretty cool.

So vanillaware's 13 sents got a "yeah the gameplay a lil perfunctory but the dialogue rocks", but now vanillaware's unicorn lord gets "yeah the dialogue is a lil perfunctory but the gameplay rocks"?? And i'm supposed to believe it??

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's important to remember that Vanillaware never misses

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1GXB9x4x7g

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly if you mean the 'ere' usage there most of the dialog in unicorn overlord isnt even like that. like most of its pretty straightforward it doesnt really do that faux-medieval talk much at all. it sounds a little fantasy but not like, fft psp.

and if you mean the character designs, the character designs own.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In UO's case specifically, I feel like they had a big idea about being able to tackle the continent in any order, which necessitated the story being kinda disjointed, but then the gameplay idea didn't work out and they were already halfway through writing it and were stuck. The characters also aren't super involved cause there's like 60 of them, but I feel like they did a good job with them given the limitations that imposes. I genuinely like most of the cast

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UO's plot is basically on par with a Fire Emblem game, where the focus is on a bunch of different characters and some mild politics and general heroism. It's not terrible it's just kind of eh and the clear focus was on the gameplay above the plot because they wanted to give you a wide variety of characters.

13 Sentinels is basically a visual novel they stapled a light strategy RPG game to to the point you can go hours without seeing the 'gameplay' once.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Unicorn Overlord has the most visceral Guy Getting Absolutely Steamrolled By A Medieval Knight In Full Charge animations I’ve seen. Something about the timing, sound effects, lead-in voice clip, and just that fraction of a second of animation freezing on the impact is all absolutely polished to perfection.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bad Video Games posted:

Rarity, if this is really your first time playing FF4, then don't stop. This is great.

It's not :ssh:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

Tell us who won in the battle of spy vs family

Family hopefully, I don't want to see a sad Anya

I said come in! posted:

Spy x Family owns so hard, I really want to see the movie.

It was pretty good. Some problems with the subs though, I think it managed to call them Folgers, Holgers, and Forgers all in the same two hour picture.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

those games went absolutely massively over budget and didnt sell well enough to justify it and the devs were actively hostile to square's input. they were right to cut them. why did tomb raider 2013 cost twice as much to make as witcher 3
sorry. im a deranged eidos fan and i say whatever the third tomb raider game was that no one cares about is a modern classic of gaming. now wheres gex

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

honestly if you mean the 'ere' usage there most of the dialog in unicorn overlord isnt even like that. like most of its pretty straightforward it doesnt really do that faux-medieval talk much at all. it sounds a little fantasy but not like, fft psp.

and if you mean the character designs, the character designs own.

I don't mind stylized old-timey dialogue at all, i just get the impression that the game's gonna be dry as hell, which was how triangle strategy and octopath 1 felt to me. Different devs to be fair

But these screenshots... why do they all have to be nerds...:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the dialogue isnt really that dry at all, its not a great story or anything but there's jokes and stuff and a lot of fairly wacky characters. even the mc gets some decent lines. they just picked kinda boring screenshots.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdLNnKYKFEY&t=41s

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I knew Eiyuden Chronicles was an accurate spiritual successor to PS1 JRPGs when after I went through a mine with minecart puzzles, there was a boss where every turn i was forced to watch a crane turn agonizingly slow to drop a rock on my party every turn, if you hit the switch, the crane turns agonizingly slow in the opposite direction.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
It’s rotating in 3 dimensional space, are you not impressed?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I knew Eiyuden Chronicles was an accurate spiritual successor to PS1 JRPGs when after I went through a mine with minecart puzzles, there was a boss where every turn i was forced to watch a crane turn agonizingly slow to drop a rock on my party every turn, if you hit the switch, the crane turns agonizingly slow in the opposite direction.
Since there are so many people making stuff like gameboy color-like games now I assume that in 10 more years people will be intentionally making FFVIII-like games where the summon sequences taking two hours is legitimately supposed to be part of the nostalgic appeal

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mystes posted:

Since there are so many people making stuff like gameboy color-like games now I assume that in 10 more years people will be intentionally making FFVIII-like games where the summon sequences taking two hours is legitimately supposed to be part of the nostalgic appeal

People have been making PSX style games for awhile now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hell yeah can't wait

mystes
May 31, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

People have been making PSX style games for awhile now.
I guess I just haven't noticed because it's hard to distinguish intentionally psx style from just having really bad graphics

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best game of 2022 was a psx-style game

mystes
May 31, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The best game of 2022 was a psx-style game
What game?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

So vanillaware's 13 sents got a "yeah the gameplay a lil perfunctory but the dialogue rocks", but now vanillaware's unicorn lord gets "yeah the dialogue is a lil perfunctory but the gameplay rocks"?? And i'm supposed to believe it??

I can only speak for Unicorn Overlord because it rules. As far as I could tell 13 sentinels was sad kids get into to the robot shinji'd with a twist that's even sadder. Overlord is like "what if all those mediocre fire emblems and knocks offs were really fun and good battle systems and auto skip the boring crap nobody wants but we will dutifully include."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Family hopefully, I don't want to see a sad Anya

It was pretty good. Some problems with the subs though, I think it managed to call them Folgers, Holgers, and Forgers all in the same two hour picture.

I hope there will be an English dub eventually. I really like the English voice actors for the anime.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

As far as I could tell 13 sentinels was sad kids get into to the robot shinji'd with a twist that's even sadder.

it's not this

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I don't mind stylized old-timey dialogue at all, i just get the impression that the game's gonna be dry as hell, which was how triangle strategy and octopath 1 felt to me. Different devs to be fair

But these screenshots... why do they all have to be nerds...:

Lol how do you keep finding these made up screenshots. The game looks like a tactical map with horses and gryphons on it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I hope there will be an English dub eventually. I really like the English voice actors for the anime.

There is one already and it's screening right now. I just prefer Subs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

I guess I just haven't noticed because it's hard to distinguish intentionally psx style from just having really bad graphics

I think PlayStation 1 had a unique effect where polygons or textures all moved at different speeds from each other, causing a wobbly or wavy motion

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mystes posted:

What game?

I'm guessing Signalis

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

My favorite fire emblem knockoff I've played in the past few years is symphony of war, which is basically a combo fire emblem with ogre battle squads and a bunch of different classes you can level up your dudes in and it was a lot of fun

The story was generic as poo poo but it did have a big tittied mommy waifu paladin whose endgame power was to grow five times her size and stomp on people so that was something

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As someone who unlocked weapon and armor limits in EDF5 multiplayer, Helldivers 2 is a bit too grindy for my tastes.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

ive been playing through black mesa. overall the game has been a real treat. the graphic update combined with some streamlining of some rougher edges of the original was very enjoyable. then i got xen and....its too long. its so long. the first level was like an hour straight of jungle platforming and by the end i was so bored. and looking online apparently interloper is like 2-3 hours. xen'd again...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

I think PlayStation 1 had a unique effect where polygons or textures all moved at different speeds from each other, causing a wobbly or wavy motion

It didn't do floating point maths so vertices were constantly snapping to the nearest whole coordinate

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stexils posted:

ive been playing through black mesa. overall the game has been a real treat. the graphic update combined with some streamlining of some rougher edges of the original was very enjoyable. then i got xen and....its too long. its so long. the first level was like an hour straight of jungle platforming and by the end i was so bored. and looking online apparently interloper is like 2-3 hours. xen'd again...

they definitely overxooked on xen, yeah. i think the general impulse was good: you flesh out the alien environment more, do a bit of foreshadowing for HL2, and create something that feels more like the rest of HL1 and not an inane jumping puzzle, but it got way out of hand, and i don't think they were entirely comfortable cutting out slower sections because it was, at its core, a community mod, and it's harder to axe peoples' hard work under those conditions

in its favor, i'll say that all the redesigned areas are loving gorgeous to look at and properly communicate "this is a totally alien world" much better compared to base HL1. even the last HL2 citadel-esque climb is visually gorgeous, even though the whole thing drags like an anchor. it's a huge aesthetic triumph top to bottom

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
The jungle segment really drags after a while but the gonarch rework is a huge improvement over the original in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

cheetah7071 posted:

All the money went into lara's hair

good for her :sparkles: