Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Khanstant posted:

Workers should just lay off the executives. who needs em

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lmao Take Two's line went up by a mere one percent for that

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Khanstant posted:

Workers should just lay off the executives. who needs em

But then who will strategize the synergies of shifting paradigms for optimal asset and resource harmoniousness? Ever think of that, smart guy?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

man nurse posted:

I feel like my life is improved on some level by the knowledge that Keanu Reeves is playing Shadow the Hedgehog

Someone put this as an undertale save point

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The power of CGI animals with attitude fills you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Everyone is expecting him to do John Wick voice but being frozen for like 40-50 years would mean Shadow would be from the 70s/80s which means obviously Keanu must bust out one Ted "Theodore" Logan

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yeah this was worth watching all 3 hr 45min of

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

everything about invisible walls "THEY" don't want you to know about

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Everyone is expecting him to do John Wick voice but being frozen for like 40-50 years would mean Shadow would be from the 70s/80s which means obviously Keanu must bust out one Ted "Theodore" Logan

holy poo poo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

This is the canonical explanation for the timeloop locked chaos emerald in Sonic 06

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

holy poo poo

You're not even righteous enough to be my fake!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

i haven't watched any of the sonic movies, does he kiss a human girl in one of them like sonic 06

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

he's child coded in the movies, they're basically alvin and the chipmunks movies but with just one big blue chipmunk

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Eej posted:

Less than 12 hours in and the StarCon2-2 kickstarter is at 160% of funded goal so my fears of old game irrelevance are unfounded.

I am a little bit worried about their kickstarter amount being unrealistically low in terms of making a dent in the cost of development, so hopefully they pass their funding goal many times over and are being realistic about rewards.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Peaches and Cream Monster is horrible, don't try it!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Peaches and Cream Monster is horrible, don't try it!

simply drink an excessive amount of pure black instant coffee like this gamer instead

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Paying2Lurk posted:

But then who will strategize the synergies of shifting paradigms for optimal asset and resource harmoniousness? Ever think of that, smart guy?

I did: just replace them with AI chat bots. They're both just appearing human while actually saying and contributing nothing new, reaping the benefits of the labor of multitudes while causing mass suffering casually as if it can't be helped since it is what they were programmed to do.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GlyphGryph posted:

I am a little bit worried about their kickstarter amount being unrealistically low in terms of making a dent in the cost of development, so hopefully they pass their funding goal many times over and are being realistic about rewards.

quote:

Why Crowdfunding
Pre-production for Children of Infinity began in 2021, building the foundation for the game's technology, design, and story. We currently have enough funds to finish the essentials of the game – starship combat, planet exploration, and alien dialog. With your support, we hope to make this game the best it can be.

Basically they have already budgeted for the game itself so it's probably fine. Everything past "Interior Gameplay" is basically just extra features.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah they gotta balance the books on their gearbox acquisition, i'm sure this will go well for them

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Khanstant posted:

I did: just replace them with AI chat bots. They're both just appearing human while actually saying and contributing nothing new, reaping the benefits of the labor of multitudes while causing mass suffering casually as if it can't be helped since it is what they were programmed to do.

drat, CEO material right here. Please take your Six Sigma Black Belt and golden parachute, a driver will pick you up shortly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After two seasons of cheaters in, according to what Bungie has proudly told me they've banned, cheaters in every game and now six straight games with the same twitch streamer in Halo MCC shooting everyone through walls the second they spawn, I'll admit it - I'm perfectly fine with anti-cheats going to town if they actually get to do their jobs

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thats the thing, they really dont

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

thats the thing, they really dont

Well what resources do they need to do it because goddamn

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Thor from PirateSoftware had something of an insiders take on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY2hG-_asKU

I'm in a somewhat similar boat atm playing PUBG with the mates. Every 4th-5th match has someone some players that are just suss as hell. Being able to replay matches, and then report them, seems to help - and they're regularly banning thousands of players a week.

There's probably more that needs to be done to stop cheaters simply creating fresh accounts to come back on, but it def feels good getting an update that someone you reported has been permanently banned.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

effectively infinite; there's ways to circumvent even kernel level anticheat, so it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game where game devs try to figure out ways to detect more complex cheats as cheat developers continue to innovate. the next frontier is likely machine learning assisted anticheat, but that's just going to be another arms race between them and the cheat-developed models that try to throw off detection while preserving the promised advantage

as it stands, the goal of most anticheat is to try and make it costly enough to implement to price it out of the range of most people while simultaneously ramping up detection to force cheats to behave more humanlike to evade notice. you're never going to be able to completely stamp it out, so the outcome you're hoping for is to make it so that a top-of-the-line cheat merely turns someone into a very good player rather than giving them an insurmountable advantage

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

short of hiring mods to spectate every single game i don't think you really can stop hackers entirely

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only thing you can do is make cheating so expensive that only the people who can afford the $4k cheats can do it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I mean I know all that and I'm just buttmad but like, we just lost a game to a guy who fired a dmr like an assault rifle firing tank rounds and won the game at hte last second by spawning inside a tank on top of us to get a triple kill, and before that lost to a guy who got 30 sniper shots banking them in every possible direction and also fired them the moment someone spawned

Like, it can't be THAT hard to figure out that's not right, or in Destiny if maybe the guy has an automatic rocket launcher with infinite ammo in a game where you get one shot of that, maybe ban that dude to start with

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

even console games arent perfectly hack free and thats like, the perfect control system. what hope does the machine people build themselves have

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This one someone managed to be their own tailgunner in a Banshee

The Banshee, notably, doesn't have that, the pilot's rear end being exposed to the wind

Like, even in Gundam Evo, a game with like 200 people who gave a poo poo, people were complaining about the guy flying around the map before anyone spawned. What are these people even getting out of it at that point

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 17, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They're not playing the same game as you. They're playing because they want to dunk on some NPCs who can't fight back.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my understanding is that EAC's mostly only good at detecting and stopping low tier commercial cheats and not anything more high end, so bungie can say that they're banning tons of cheaters and be technically correct while leaving out that it's still trivial to do so if you're willing to splash some cash

kernel level anticheat's gaining popularity mainly because cheating has become so sophisticated that it's starting to overwhelm traditional methods of cheat detection. league is transitioning to vanguard in its next patch because scripting reached such an egregious level that more than 10% of masters+ games had a scripter, and even grandmaster (which gets manually audited regularly by actual humans) had a significant number of cheaters getting sniffed out every season. machine learning anticheat's obviously still preferable, but i think the culture's shifted enough in the last decade that the idea of kernel level access in exchange for more surety in competitive multiplayer is a tradeoff people are willing to make

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eej posted:

They're not playing the same game as you. They're playing because they want to dunk on some NPCs who can't fight back.

That's just so pathetic though

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The other angle is the subtle cheater, the people who are good but use cheats to give them that extra edge. In that case it's because they think they deserve to win.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

You're not even righteous enough to be my fake!

maria... dude... for all the people on this planet, i promise you a most excellent revenge

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Eej posted:

The other angle is the subtle cheater, the people who are good but use cheats to give them that extra edge. In that case it's because they think they deserve to win.

That's the other thing as well. A lot of players can have amazing rounds via well earned skill, but consistently amazing players are rare as hens teeth.

Seeing someone constantly getting 20:1 KDs should raise some red flags as well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's just frustrating to try to play anything online anymore, casually or competitively and it seems like it's increasingly worse. Even in Helldivers 2 someone's just going to town with it.

I miss private servers.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Eej posted:

The only thing you can do is make cheating so expensive that only the people who can afford the $4k cheats can do it.

Where are the open source cheat makers making the really good stuff for free? That's what I want to know.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

theres basically no overlap between people that like to do open source work and people that want to work that hard cheating at video games. if you have those skills youre hacking iphones or game consoles or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Infinitum posted:

There's probably more that needs to be done to stop cheaters simply creating fresh accounts to come back on, but it def feels good getting an update that someone you reported has been permanently banned.

simply charge :10bux: for an account

Quackles posted:

Where are the open source cheat makers making the really good stuff for free? That's what I want to know.

if you publicize the source you make it that much easier for the game devs to detect or counteract your tricks
though if you're really annoyed with a cheat/exploit in a game making a big public post showing the whole playerbase exactly how to do it is a great way to get it fixed fast

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 17, 2024