Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I was watching Noel Caldwell-gervais’ essay on diablo, and when it got to diablo 2, I couldn’t help but laugh: he’s playing what’s essentially a zealadin but never actually uses Zeal, he’s just spamming regular attacks LOOOL
And he wasted his imbue on a falchion?? Every knows you need to wait until character lvl 80 and use it on a circlet to get the best chance at getting +skills modifiers.

He is actually very bad at videogames, I've watched his unedited streams before and it's pretty frustrating to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's a pretty straightforward game where you run around and have fun fighting monsters. It discourages fast travel somewhat, so some folks are acting like it's a huge bold statement of game design instead the basic stuff that we had in final fantasy 1.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's a great game for just popping into for an hour and then saving out and getting back to whatever. Last several times I loaded in and just wandered around vaguely towards a destination for a quest and fought some stuff as my new class and enjoyed my pawns telling me the roses I stopped to smell are generally used as a material.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm skipping those until I'm married

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

At some point Kalypso stopped releasing a new Tropico every year or so. Never noticed before.

Does that mean they perfected or, is the latest Tropical the best or was it several versions ago and it took them a while to realize?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Everyone at this table can, and will, kick your arse at video games

I wanna see game devs play their games, I wonder how many of them are really really good at it and how many would prefer to watch someone else to test it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Diablo 4 out of 10

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Most adult people who aren't terminally online do not buy Pokemon games and do not need to state any reasons as to why.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I want them to do a Pokemon version of Unicorn Overlord. Field teams of Pokemon that auto battle based on your training and setups.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think I would add it to my steam account if they gave me 20 dollars.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Time to patch the country add some of those missing QOL features

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh man the UI update was great but it was ultimately just a different coat of paint on the game I already loved and could see just fine with imagination. I was never able to get into adventure mode like I did fortress mode in classic, and new graphics seem a bit more important in that close a perspective, so this will be an all new game to me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's cool can u hunt way too much meat?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Colonel posted:

ff7 remake has background npc text that makes lesbian relationships in its world canon, if you don't want to point to the writer deciding to lay on tifa and aerith's relationship extra extra thick on purpose and directly stating his intent to do this in an interview

I haven't finished the remake yet but it makes more sense for Tifa and Aeris to hook up because they have more chemistry and things to relate to. Cloud isn't even himself most of the time, isn't clear on who he himself is, and for the most part doesn't really have chemistry with anyone.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's the ace of diamonds I picked!! He's a great magician

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's only about 20 seconds long and they got it in one try! Great speedrunner

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Me either but I would assume you could put stuff on it from your computer like you can with a normal phone, maybe even do more stuff since it costs so much

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

Optimal Pokemon strategy is a Blastoise with Water Gun, Bubble Beam, Surf, and Hydro Blast and you will never convince me otherwise.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Let’s say you’re putting together a raid party. You have room for one more rando. You advertize, and get simultaneous responses from these four players. Who do you invite?

1) Zephiroth Gainsboro
2) Gokulord Weedlord
3) Asdf Asdf
4) Thisgame Suks

Weedlord bc sober ppl are super weird in games.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

at least 50/50 odds that Gokulord Weedlord has never taken so much as an aspirin

Would people really do that!? lie about bong hits online?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zokari posted:

jeez, as a child i would at least make sure the moves were different types

Some people are born elite 4 and others are born first gym lobby crew.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's a really fun game. It's too easy on the hardest setting, but such a good system you can get over it. I really hope it sparks inspiration in other games. Feels so much more like commanding an army when you're issuing orders and drills to your squads over micromanaging every move each unit makes.

Even other tactical games in the Advance Wars / FFT vein could use some of UO approach, like fast forwarding battles or skipping anima instead of just unilaterally turning them off. There's also a potential reason to see the combat besides the results, to see if you need to tweak your squads tactics.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Playing them at release when not everything has been figured out is great. You just have to be prepared for a rough launch, if weird performance and bugs or unpolished designs but you then you gotta walk the patience path instead.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

yeah but I guarantee you theres someone out there thats going to be excited for wow legion classic, so they can do artifact progression again

Afaik Legion is the best and one good expansion.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Y'all seen they got games on Netflix browser now? Like playing babys first Newgrounds games but in worse resolution.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just finished my new card game a couple hours ago. I think slay the spire is the better game but my cards are pretty.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

All of these fuckin kind of games blend together for me so it's very funny that they had a whole trailer event filled with nothing but them

Ohhh I was wondering why I got a sudden rush of new games Poppin up all at once. Thought it was just springtime for rogueadjacents lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Animated movies need to go back to voice actors, so tired of hearing celebrities stuck inside random cartoon characters. Very few of them voice act enough to be a distinct character and they usually are chosen to have so and so there.

Bring back Casey kasem and daws butler.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. There are a lot of extremely good voice actors who are also regular actors. The ones who are good at their roles usually slip into them enough you don't notice. Obviously Mark Hamill is the neon glowing example there.

If they're also voice actors they're voice actors, no problems there, but not every actor is and too often they contract celebs to do their normal voice or they don't otherwise deliver anything specialized to the role. Mario movie is first thing that comes to mind, plenty of characters using the celebs voice in the same way they'd use it in a commercial.

Edit: and Mark Hamill is so good I watched a TV show with him as a main character and didn't realize it was him until the last couple episodes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can't wait till games can render that level of 3d in real time

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Even an LP is hard to watch. Fixed angles are rough and virtual walking tour is part of the appeal of the games to me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Huh I always thought that was a meant to be a kind of weird grin on the bomb king, not a ‘stache. Thank you render96…

Haha I always saw it as a mustache but I like his big grin more now that you pointed it out. What a rascal!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Guy must be a vampire because he cant see his reflection when pointing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Player centric AAA games because people are so sick of the AAA games that just have attract mode and no way to press start

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mystes posted:

Someone should make a new godzilla movie where godzilla is a metaphor for the unaffordability of housing in the US, called godzillow

Lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Another tip for gamers, dont play Blizzard games.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I worked at a place where I also paid the bartenders and bussers and sometimes a silverware roller a percentage of my tips. The bartender tip out was tied to your alcohol sales, so it was possible to end up giving most of your tip away at a heavy drinking table. And drinkers are total wild cards when it comes to tipping, plus some folks just seem to have a mental cao in mind. Doesn't matter if they spent 350 bucks on the meal, twenty bucks is the max for them.

Being dependent on tips for a living is incredibly stressful, just a constant rubbing of your face directly into income inequality and you have to put on the cheeriest and most subservient facade you can muster the whole time. Absolutely miserable times.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/1779235918433391086?t=aZdeb0HDpSJhd4agWXvVPA&s=19

I actually thought Lawbreakers had a very fun concept and died way too quickly, might be neat to have it back online again

If only there were some kind of GameSpy where people could independently host servers for whatever abandoned online games that aren't popular or profitable enough for their original owners. Wouldn't be surprised if there were a bunch of dead games that are actually really fun if every player just gets all the stuff to mess with without any of the progression gambling.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Sunsetting should become an industry norm for online games.
Effectively planned obsolescence and releasing a final patch that allows players to host their own offline servers, with bots if possible.

Is something like Foamstars going to set the world on fire? Probably not, but maybe that's some kids favourite game and it'd be cool if they could still play the drat thing.

Unfortunately the reality is it oft times come down to licenses expiring and The Shareholders don't see any ROI on developing an offline patch. So why do it!

Plus sometimes old stuff finds a new spark with a new generation or just a renewal of interest in the future. Wasn't that long ago tons of folks were watching and talking about Columbo out of the blue.

Realistically if companies did make a habit of sunsetting games with an eye for the future, even a purely profit minded one -- if a game ever became notably popular on private servers years later, if enough people are talking about playing this old game on private servers like it's a rediscovered gem, then the company could still always spin up their own official servers and monetize however they please. Don't even need to kill the private servers, the majority of consumers are never gonna go through the effort of figuring out private servers no matter how easy. Even if the game launcher just auto connected to a browser of flagged servers, more folks would still want to hop into an official server group if it were available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I thought we talked about changing it to Gamesmo