Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Botany Manor kicks rear end. Perfect puzzle game length

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If the game had been longer, the backtracking would have been irritating, but its just the right length and each puzzle focused enough that you dont do thaaaat much backtracking. I think its very intentional though, to make sure that you remember the spaces and layout of the house and gardens as you crisscross them to recheck your notes now that you know the next piece of info you need.

My "favorite" note is either the "women can't come to university" rejection letter in the box marked kindling or the person giving an earnest suggestion to publish the book under her uncles name so it gets published and then finding out what happens to your book at the end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tipping was once illegal in several states and it should be again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cool Dad posted:

I am trying desperately to pick a new game to play and nothing is keeping me hooked. Video games are over, going to take up stamp collecting.

I recommend a serving of Botany Manor

But also stamp collecting has never been cheaper, or so Im told, cause all the stamp heads are dead

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Esportsbrain is a brutal killer

Healthy developers then boom, esports focus metaverse. Many such cases

Barudak
May 7, 2007

homeless snail posted:

they added team deathmatch to valorant, and get this, it's good

Is it still 5v5 or is it a larger number?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a confusion on what the enjoyment of media is and how vocal diehard fans want to brag to each other how much more clever than each other for figuring it out first/this "puzzle" isn't hard enough.

Its an easy trap to fall into, especially since your other fans wont discuss it much.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What do non-western posters post about?

Santorini and curry

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No current plans is corporate speak for "I have not approved such a plan yet" not "I am not currently so deep in the planning of this oil is gushing from it"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are no current plans to layoff staff but I'm having vivid, recurring dreams about it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Everyone is expecting him to do John Wick voice but being frozen for like 40-50 years would mean Shadow would be from the 70s/80s which means obviously Keanu must bust out one Ted "Theodore" Logan

This is the canonical explanation for the timeloop locked chaos emerald in Sonic 06

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I clicked onto that, saw a build-your-bundle on the front page, and huh... I completely forgot Rage 2 is a game that exists :lol:

I beat Rage 2 and I barely recall that I have.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Majula was neat.

Lets never do it again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Because they already have that. I don't think a theoretical MtG RPG would cannibalise sales from Arena. I think a lot of ppl playing arena would happily pay £60 or whatever for a single player mtg rpg as well

If it canabalizes a months attention from a whale, who is your most likely Shandalar 2 buyer, you're revenue negative with them for a month. Im not saying theres no potential upside here, but internally you'll have to overcome finance asking you why you're willing to risk upsetting the golden goose.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its also kind of hard to undersell just how ding dang good Phantasy Star IV is and I really wish its manga/comic book panel style had been used in more games of the following generation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vermain posted:

PSIV had such a good space fantasy aesthetic that i dearly miss, and the setting being a mad max 1-esque "civilization is slowly and inexorably going to poo poo due to neglect" deal was and is pretty unique as far as RPG worldbuilding goes

i'm glad it's at least alive as a series and not consigned to the grave like breath of fire is, but PSO2 just ain't motavia, man

I wish that Phantasy Star Online's success meant we got some more single player games, but thats not how things work in the world of media.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

What is this "activity" poo poo on the Play Station 5 console. Who are the ad wizards who came up with this one

Its an attempt to kludge in the superior Quick Resume to hardware/software that can't support it. In a world where Quick Resume didn't exist it'd be awesome, so instead its just a nice little feature that doesn't work as well or often as it should.

Or are you talking about how for accounts based in the US (not physically located, I get this garbage in Japan) the boot up screen for PS5 is the wall of ads screen that doesn't exist for any other market?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

i don't think it has anything to do with quick resume, since i'm pretty sure it was shown before the console launched

Xbox introduced the paused game feature on Bone, then playstation added that to PS4, then they both took there stuff to the next level. They're both evolutions, and you're right and I'm wrong, quick resume specifically is Xbox Series, so parallel development based on some basic idea but not able to implement same way because Xbox's architecture is different starting with the Bone.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 21, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Getting really into For Honor in 2024.

Did they ever balance patch it? I vaguely recall it dying out with the competitive people since one of the DLC characters had a 50/50 mixup into lethal damage at all times

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, I would rather just have Final Fantasy 17 at this point. Don't really want it to become a trend to just remake every single game imaginable. We dont need a remake of all retro Final Fantasy games.

Just give me the dogshit bonus content from the gba/mobile phone ports as toggleable content to the pixel remasters and Ill mostly stop complaining.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Larryb posted:

Aren’t there already at least 3 or so different remakes of the OG Final Fantasy?

Arguably more than that, depending on what you count. You have NES, GBA, PSP, Mobile, and Pixel Remaster versions all with different content, mechanics, and graphics.

The fact the "pixel remaster" of ff1 doesnt include all variations/mechanical rulesets in the new graphics is something that bothers me, a massive pedant.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

When am I going to get up and scream McDonalds before I can start the next level. So much promised to us for the future and so little delivered.

Not enough people bought the Sony Eye

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Embracer is debracing into 3 separate companies, lol.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They named one of the new companies Middle Earth and Friends and another one Coffee Stain and Friends.

Lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zokari posted:

so is one of them just gonna get all the debt, is that how this works?

They're being split up to be devoured, so I bet they've each been saddled with a carefully partitioned debt amount.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vermain posted:

just packaging up all the important IPs into thematically appropriate bundles for ease of sale

Unironically, I would play a new Tomb Raider where you explore Durin's Tomb

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Honestly the Rog Ally is a solid choice for portable gaming, and the vrr screen helps out a ton.

The ideal next iteration of these things is something with both oled and a vrr screen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah you're going to have to sacrifice somewhere, so its more what you want to give up. The Legion Go and MSI Claw can be ignored.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fez_machine posted:

nah it's just not very good

leans very heavily on a Moebius aesthetic which had already burned through tumblr a decade before and is now the hallmark of indie games that don't sell very well

Gonna very, very, strongly disagree and state Sable is probably one of my favorite games of the generation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

xoFcitcrA posted:

I'm out of the loop. Who's Adam Sessler, what's he so fussed about, and why does anyone care that he's making fussy tweets?

20 years ago he was a cable show host about videogames

Thats really it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It was a pretty good show.

It was better than the one with Tommy Tallarico, but thats like calling yourself a limbo champ for walking under the arc d'triumph

Barudak
May 7, 2007

xoFcitcrA posted:

Got it. Is there something about those tweets that make them any worse / more embarassing than any others? Without context, those seemed like pretty bog-standard "angry impotent ranting" tweets. (I have no idea what they were in reference to.)

No. And hes meltdown on twitter with bad takes before.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

xoFcitcrA posted:

Interesting. Two folks in the thread who didn't like it and two who liked it a lot. It's odd, Sable didn't strike me as the sort of game that would be divisive at all.

Its doing a very specific thing and was never well optimized even with patches. Either you like its thing or you are out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Make Starcraft 3 a microtransaction in WoW. Got it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely would love to know why Vanillaware is so opposed to their stuff being on PC.

Bill Gates called Fantasy Earth: Ring of Dominion mediocre and they've carried the grudge for two decades

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Eej posted:

Let's immerse an entire thread in the unchecked negativity and brainrot from the internet how could this possibly go wrong

Exactly as well as all the last times it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Felvidek is a really good game outside of "the jew" and that part sitting weird with me is why its not my front runner for game of the year.