Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Cataclysm predates Dark Souls 1 and one could say the latter game is a "Classic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I would do it

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They did eventually tweak the numbers to be a little more sane but Legion was probably the most alive WoW had felt since Wrath. Every single class had a fully voiced bespoke storyline (well, maybe not Priests) that really drove home the idea of "class fantasy" that they had just invented. Monks went back to meditate on the back of a giant turtle, Rogues had an entire Thief's guild that met in the sewers, Death Knights had a floating necropolis and Shamans had a dank cave. Even professions had their own minor story quests. The raids were memorable, each zone was unique and the music was amazing. Plus they had the Mage Tower that was a solo challenge that just gave you a cosmetic weapon and was designed to get easier over time as ilvl went up with more patches but if you wanted to gun it earlier it was harder and you'd have that cosmetic before everyone else.

But mostly it called back to the original trilogy of WoW in a lot of ways. Like when you play as Illidan in his Raid Boss version from TBC where you're ganking "players" left and right, some of whom are AFK during the pull, until Maiev punks you and you get taken away. Or like "hey, what happened to ICC afterwards anyway?" etc. But mostly I think Legion excelled at drawing in the casual player into playing more and more because you could roll a new class and experience a new story that links up with other stories. The DKs invade the Paladin class hall to try and raise one of the best Paladins ever (who was from vanilla/WOTLK) and they raise a bunch of fan favourites to be the new Four Horsemen. You only find out why everything went to poo poo between the Alliance and Horde through the Rogue questline and so forth. Definitely the second peak of WoW after WotlK.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Jay Rust posted:

Doesnt that spread out the playerbase and eventually kill the whole point of an mmo?

Classic is a very different experience from any other version of WoW. Even WotlK had most of the EQ/DikuMUD edges scraped off by then.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Jay Rust posted:

No I mean, if we have say a WotlK server and a Burning Crusade server going at the same time, doesn’t that effectively cut the vanilla playerbase in half right there

No, because they are very different games to a WoW player.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't think anyone is assuming anything. No one's clamouring for Warlords of Draenor classic.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Personally I love it when games are told to focus on gameplay over graphics and then people start complaining about the graphics

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Macaluso posted:

Why would someone just say this?

Because as usual a news article will try to just pluck the most inflammatory words possible to maximize pageviews.

https://twitter.com/Qwik/status/1778269707575119977

He's more or less saying he wishes he can dump more money on singleplayer games that he really resonates with because there are no other ways to give them money (aside from like, buying copies for your friends) unlike a multiplayer game with constant DLC releases etc. Being American of course his first thought is "what if I could tip" while also being fully aware that people won't agree with his take. I broadly agree in that if there was a way I could put more money in the pockets of Larian devs directly I'd do it considering they made an incredibly huge game and everyone wanted to quit (allegedly) after it was done.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
People have a very skin deep understanding and tolerance of lgbt issues (not saying that I'm some kind of genius about them either) so it's no surprise that when confronted with something outside of making sure you use the right gender and pronouns their brains short circuit. See also the Attack Helicopter short story.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The funniest thing about Westworld was that their original pitch to HBO was Season 3.

mystes posted:

That's insanely dumb. Why torpedo your own story just because some people on reddit figured it out when that probably won't affect how much 99% of viewers enjoy it?

Creatives huffing their own farts

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

fridge corn posted:

There was a fourth season?

It had the Dark Souls episode

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity?ref=ksr_email_mktg_auto_user_watched_project_launched

It's happeninggggggg, Star Control 2-2 is kickstarting

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Less than 12 hours in and the StarCon2-2 kickstarter is at 160% of funded goal so my fears of old game irrelevance are unfounded.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GlyphGryph posted:

I am a little bit worried about their kickstarter amount being unrealistically low in terms of making a dent in the cost of development, so hopefully they pass their funding goal many times over and are being realistic about rewards.

quote:

Why Crowdfunding
Pre-production for Children of Infinity began in 2021, building the foundation for the game's technology, design, and story. We currently have enough funds to finish the essentials of the game – starship combat, planet exploration, and alien dialog. With your support, we hope to make this game the best it can be.

Basically they have already budgeted for the game itself so it's probably fine. Everything past "Interior Gameplay" is basically just extra features.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only thing you can do is make cheating so expensive that only the people who can afford the $4k cheats can do it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They're not playing the same game as you. They're playing because they want to dunk on some NPCs who can't fight back.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The other angle is the subtle cheater, the people who are good but use cheats to give them that extra edge. In that case it's because they think they deserve to win.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They're lying to everyone to make money which is at best scumny

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't know anyone who's actually sat through Pyre

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I said come in! posted:

I really like Smite 1 (its the only MOBA ive ever enjoyed), but this feels like a terrible idea to me.

Smite 1 is still using Adobe Flash for UI elements.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

https://twitter.com/urokuta_ja/status/1780399532771344477

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SirSamVimes posted:

video game "journalists" get really weird about specific people sometimes, like the whole bit where articles kept coming out about how ff16 was going to have only white characters and naoki yoshida was against the concept of accessibility

They know that outrage sells and they might even be outraged themselves so they just spam the lovely takes button to get the clicks and get paid.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Heat reduces a liquid's ability to hold gases so it would flatten your soft drink

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rinkles posted:

Is Eneba safe to buy keys from? Is it a YMMV situation?

Sometimes you get used cd keys from them and you're out of luck.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Like the caveat emptor of all grey market CD Key sites is that they're possibly just someone reselling a CD Key they never used but most likely it's people converting credit card fraud into real money by buying digital CD Keys before the card is canceled .

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wanna grow up to be, be a debracer (debracer!)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rarity posted:

The opening to FF4 is loving wild. Cecil is actively a war criminal who not just participates in state violence but perpetuates its system throughout his troops. And when he gets removed from command for not murdering hard enough his response, rather than to denounce the unethical commands of his king, is to go do a genocide bomb in hope of getting his post back. And then - after being personally responsible for the deaths of hundreds - when he finally decides to break ranks he does so by kidnapping a child who's mum he just killed.

TECHNICALLY Cecil isn't a war criminal because War Crimes were only formally codified as something you can be persecuted for after the formation of nation states and their written agreements with one another on the conduct of war. Before then that's just Part Of Doing War. That being said even after the development of the various codes of military conduct they often don't apply to non state level actors (see: colonialism, War on Terror, etc.). Everything else is pretty normal for someone in his position because in feudalism your loyalty is to your lord and in this case he answers directly to the king, who is of course a piece of poo poo but it's not like the system offers him any alternate paths for this because the concept of "for the people" does not exist in feudalism.

That being said

quote:

How the gently caress did this guy end up the protagonist

FF4 was released in 1991, that's within living memory of WWII but more accurately Occupation. Cecil is at his core a meek, nice guy who was corrupted by the system and its leaders into performing heinous acts and only through the aid of a wise old man, a pair of magic children, some deep introspection and literally confronting himself does he acknowledge and deal with the hatred in his heart. This is basically the zeitgeist of post-war Japan, although I don't think MacArthur had magic children under his tutelage.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
People were understandably confused when the Tales of Middle-Earth set for Magic came out.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Let's immerse an entire thread in the unchecked negativity and brainrot from the internet how could this possibly go wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

StoryTime posted:

How about we make an entire website and attached forums about it, it's gonna be loving wild!

Well it sure worked out for Lowtax