Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There is one thing about this article I find odd.

Which, unless they're talking about different press guides, isn't true. I actually went back and checked my press guide for LiS:TC and it includes this:

which is the opposite of "Never mention bisexual."

The rest is horrible poo poo that is too common, I just found that one bit odd.

i mean the whole thing reeks of poo poo like that

how can bad people have worked on this? we won GAMES FOR IMPACT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im sure the squeenix guy said some weird poo poo but im also sure theyre exaggerating so they can feel like theyre the oppressed noble guys

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

games for genshin impact

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly the way these devs talk about this poo poo kinda makes me sick lol

quote:

“I worry that True Colors and Before the Storm are important to the queer community, and I just worry people will think they can’t play these anymore,”

life is strange before the storm is not important to the queer community

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its cool also how that article is like 'square enix london said some weird poo poo and also one of the lead devs was a sex monster' and every response ive seen is 'can you believe how bad square enix is'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Well i mean, what ARE the games that are important to the queer community?

Tetris obviously. Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 have to be up there, the latter especially, for their innovation at the very least. It's really amazing to me, and the queer community i'm sure, how nintendo basically nailed 3D platforming controls on their first try.
i know youre joking but id like to suggest kingdom hearts 2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but yeah idk, obvs i feel bad for the devs if they were getting creeped on but the weird like... self-important a lot of western single a devs have because they made a bad game with a gay in it is kind of infuriating. they really think theyre like, the first people to ever do it when theres been equivalent games for 20+ years.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh yeah? Well name three other games with gay people in them and I bet those devs will probably not even have heard of them
final fantasy 16, ff14, the square enix gacha where every unit you can roll is a lesbian couple. checkmate liberals

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vermain posted:

i think it's a more general tendency to want to overinflate the social value of the art you create, especially in a smaller corporate setting where it feels like you're putting more of yourself into the end product rather than being environmental artist #23 in a team of 500
sure but its also like, idk. when its in this specific context and they're winning games for impact it feels like the entire western industry is reinforcing it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

just about any game people try to convince you is important to the gays, is secretly a hate crime

tell me why unironically felt like one tbh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

“It took a three hour meeting in the writers room and one of the writers sharing an extremely personal story to get Zak to agree to get the content out,” said Littleton. “It wasn’t about us not wanting to have difficult topics in there, but Life Is Strange shines because that type of content is chosen extremely deliberately and it’s given runway, it’s given space to breathe.

okay i forgive square enix london because i would also ask these people to stop being so gay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, a big thing I think to aim for is to just... let people feel normal. Being singled out, even in a positive way, can feel kind of bad too. Just being allowed to exist as a person without having to qualify yourself is absolutely something appealing.
its fine for a character to be singled out if thats what youre going for tbh. its more just like... that happening in the narrative instead of as a weird marketing stunt

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like i really wish an executive had stopped them from trying to market tell me why as the trans game, lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just think of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TRemrRaPjc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the part of tell me why where they show you a guy is gay by having him playfight with dolls

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homophobia has finally been defeated, this is real representation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no the guys like 30

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a cataclysm progression server isnt 'wow, look at this golden era of the game thats completely different from modern wow,' its basically just a way to allow people to experience that content at level the way it was designed to be experienced. like all those bosses and raids and such are already made, some people wanna see what they were like or redo them, but there's no easy way to do that in a way that is similar to how it actually was with wow's systems, unlike ff14.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

were there any good dungeons/bosses/etc from ff14 1.0 that people miss

theres basically only one boss in 1.0 that isnt 'repeated' in 2.0

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

credburn posted:

I always thought the panda expansion was the one that made everyone leave WoW?

the decline pretty clearly starts with the backhalf of cata and kinda goes unabated. beyond legion actually bringing some people back and a spike for later expac releases.

it kicks in fully with mop but it feels not quite right to blame it since its largely just the negative momentum from cata. mop is also generally looked back on as a generally decent expansion, partly because its sandwiched between two terrible ones

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

most expansions have at least one active private server. wrath, tbc, and vanilla had the most but theres cata, mists, etc ones with decent populations. those all manage to exist and have decent playerbases, official ones can too.

however theres barely any work done on emulating warlords. only one server exists and it barely works and is super buggy. genuinely going tobe funny when they get to that one

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

slay the spire ftw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

haddedam posted:

I was hoping sts 2 to have better art but they're still using the same programmer for everything.
It's okay, they're a tiny indie dev living hand to mouth from the 1,5million sales they got. They need every penny just to survive and I guess art courses or practise is too expensive.
the art's cool. not every game needs to be some super high def experience. slay the spire looks unique and the art communicates what it has to, why do they need to radically change it for a sequel?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how dare these devs not spend their millions on making their game look like every other big game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

your perspective is bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doesnt seem like it, the yakuza 3's patches 'uncensoring' is just referring to them removing an instance of the rising sun flag and the patch restoring it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

credburn posted:

Who is Austin Walker and why do people like him?
publisher of nier automata forcefem fanfic, proud enabler of the harassment of trans game devs, and guy who once typed the tweet 'the kind of sexuality i think is dope and playful comes from lesbian women'

he is a weird freak. guy who thought liking the right politics tweets a couple times made him a voice of authority who could do no wrong

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 13, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh sorry this was the actual quote

quote:

"I've said this before but the sort of internet horny I think is dope came from the queer women I follow and is really open and playful?"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they are all literally things that objectively happened

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

did a sentient ai publish the 9s forcefem fic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Why would someone just say this? Like okay you're super greedy and a piece of poo poo but why would you say this out loud? What's the benefit? Is it a humiliation kink thing?
hes just rich and stupid. he liked a game and went 'wow, i liked that game so much, i wish i could give the devs more money!" and blurted it out, because money isnt a real thing to him and he has no idea why tipping exists and what it represents

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tips are fine in certain situations where the person is actually being paid a decent wage and you want to give them extra for going above and beyond. however it should not be an expected thing or anything anyone relies on. and it mostly only works in self-employed type situations where you know the person who did the work for you is actually going to get to enjoy that tip.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

it's an adventure game that has a puzzle where a password is someone's deadname, it's a good puzzle and also works narratively to establish that the guy who's password it is is kind of an rear end in a top hat. the waypoint review of the game comes out, calls the game transphobic, and their tweet about it was just "don't. deadname. ever" and a picture of the games logo. which incites a lot of hate from the supposedly progressive readers of waypoint. the writer it turns out, is trans and that specific puzzle is drawn from their real life experience. waypoint follows up with an article that's a little bit conciliatory but their conclusion is "it's still hateful and they shouldn't have done it", and austin specifically continued to use it as an example for awhile

meanwhile all that stuff also gets it labeled as a Gender Game so not only do the developers get hate from "allies" but also transphobes, waypoint hosed them from both sides

yea lol. its cool to be subtweeted as a bigot because i think causing trans people getting harassed because some cis person got bad tummy feels is bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is like, quite literally the kind of thing trans creatives have nightmares about, and walker gleefully enabled it and then tried to defend it when called out on it. to this day red strings club's wikipedia page is 90% a section labelled 'controversy' about how transphobic it is. this is one of the first google results if you search for it. this is what he and his site did to a trans person's work. he is not a good person.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its honestly an extremely similar situation to the attack helicopter story. a lot of the same 'concerns,' a lot of the same attacks, a lot of cis Queer people going out of their way to drop volleys on trans women for daring to write something that makes them uncomfortable. if it had blown up more it could have ended a similar way.

trans people's participation in modern 'queer,' 'progressive' culture is extremely contingent on them never once daring to write, say, or do anything interesting, under penalty of exile.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can beat him using a simple shoot him in the head -> dodge charge -> stab leg > run away > repeat until leg is broke > break other leg > stab in the head strat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vermain posted:

there's also a strong performative drive on places like twitter where people are socially incentivized to be righteous more than they are to be good

yeah, and being the 'progressive games reporting site' is also kind of a perverse incentive because you kind of have to find things to tilt at

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

seeing every game journo in her replies kissing her rear end while none of them apologized to the devs ftw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a lot of western like, Posting About Art is in a deeply antagonistic relationship with the art and its creators. like its something to be overcome. that bleeds into mystery box type writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

What do non-western posters post about?

goku