Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Children of the Sun demo was real real good.
Would recommend

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1309950/Children_of_the_Sun/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqHQDRqzxlQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

Will I manage to finish a game this month instead of just sporadically playing tiny bursts of like twenty different games? Only time will tell.

Don't doxx me ITT

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

chocolatewares better

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wanna see the Aggro Crab take on the Aggro Crag with a copy of Agro Soar as the prize

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This looks like it has the potential to be dope as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-v7o3TQZ2o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viVi4tfh0Io

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Everyone at this table can, and will, kick your arse at video games

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Powerwash Simulator

Dickhead Dog Simulator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X6xf36Wtc0
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2512840/DORONKO_WANKO/ <<Free!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fifteen of Many posted:

I'm in a discord with some folks I raided with in WoW and the hype for D4 was off the charts pre-launch. Made a dedicated channel for it, sharing resources, etc.

The last post in the channel was about one week after launch.

What's funnier is that they took a lot of the positive lessons they learnt with D3 and implemented them in the Legion expansion for WoW; which is why there are things like Mythic+ runs today.

So when the time came for D4 to be released, me and my mates basically thought they'd take lessons learnt from WoW (Specifically what not to do, as the BfA+SL expansions were bleeding subscribers) annnnnnnnnnd.... yeah, over corrected.

The D4 story is fine, but even my mate who's a hardcore Diablo fan basically piked after a month.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I wish more cancelled games would leak onto the net :allears:

https://twitter.com/Dageekydude/status/1775572473330672034

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My 5 year old nephew playing Pokemon: "Do you want to get rid of that move cause it doesn't do damage?"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

1.) Larper edgelord that'll take things too seriously
2.) Taking the piss, might also have weed?
3.) Hiding something, probably a knife to stab you
4.) Dickhead that'll rules lawyer complain about everything

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sounds to me like the new SE President probably isn't a good person!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/RL0rDdk.mp4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Helldivers + Balatro def going to be super high on my list this year.
At least one Castlevania game is going to make it in for sure.

Actually enjoying PUBG atm as well, as some mates have been getting into it.
God it has some obvious as gently caress hackers in it when you watch replays to do reports.

Considering giving Escape from Tarkov based on a mates recommendation, and a slower paced war game might be interesting.

I've also stopped playing Tears of the Kingdom.. fusion gameplay comes off as a gimmick, and I find it too open ended with the Depths+Sky. It's all definitely Fun, but a more focused experience would have been better.
Thematically it's amazing, but the gameplay loop is just 'fine'; which is disappointing for me.

haveblue posted:

The only thing I’ve played so far that will definitely get a vote is Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown. Year ain’t over yet tho

Lost Crown is really really good. Starts off a bit rough, but it's got some amazing locales. Particularly the lower right area

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Lmao the console version of Outlaws requires internet to install the rest of the game, because we can't just make sure our poo poo works on what's available now

You know that PC port's gonna be rear end

The Ubisoft Seal of AAAA Quality

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What game was it semi-recently that was the most egregious form of that?

It was a war FPS or something that had like 2-3Mb of files on a DVD/blu-ray and you had to download the other 40-50Gb+ off the net.

Absolutely beyond wasteful behaviour.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I think the problem is that once you get high enough on the expansion list, Classic WoW just starts to look like regular WoW minus a few things.

It's basically this. Vanilla, TBC, WotLK basically represent a trilogy of games that culminated in the conclusion to the Lich King story line from W3 and was also the peak number of subscribers for WoW.
They remain popular and when people talk Classic Servers, those are the ones people want to play.

With Cataclysm they basically Ran Out Of Story and started to dig into the weeds with the lore characters. It's def not super well remembered, but they did do a full world revamp to allow for flying and all the new questlines were pretty good.

There's no real 'need' to do a Cata Classic, but they're now effectively running 3 versions of the game
- Live (Dragonflight)
- Classic (Currently WotLK -> soon to be Cata)
- Classic Season of Discovery (Wario Ware remix of Vanilla WoW)

Even with all 3 combined, they're still not seeing OG WoW Trilogy numbers.

(Sub numbers for modern WoW combine all 3 game modes)

Eej posted:

I would do it

*rerolls character 6 times to get the perfect 2 initial starting legendaries so I'm optimally geared for Mythic*

To be fair Legion has a super good story, and the world building is top notch.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's more that Cataclysm is a 'bad' expansion on the way to a good expansion in Mists of Pandaria

A similar thing will happen if and when they hit Warlords of Dreanor. Gotta do the holdover expansion to get to Legion!

I don't think anyone will want to redo Battle for Azeroth or Shadowlands :v:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Evil Kit posted:

why is anyone even still playing wow?

Dragonflight redesigned all the core game systems of WoW off the back of 2 back-to-back dogshit grind-a-paloozas expansions in Battle for Azeroth & Shadowlands.

It's in a really really good spot now to just jump in, play the game, and be rewarded - instead of doing extra chores on an endless treadmill.
Dragonflight will probably be remembered as one of the best expansions they've put out, and I'd probably rate it next to Wrath in terms of quality.

Season 4 launches April 23rd, and it's basically the victory lap season before the next expansion, War Within, as all the main story lines are now complete.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 10, 2024

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mythic+ has a set of 8 dungeons per season, and you're effectively speedrunning them in groups of 5 players to beat the timers (Tank, Healer and 3 DPS)
- They scale up in difficulty infinitely, so you can do harder and harder version of a dungeon until they basically become impossible to complete.
- The higher you go the more affixes get added to the dungeon, to a maximum of 3. The affixes are fixed week to week, so it's not fully random.
- Affixes are hindrances you need to deal with during the run. More boss or mob health, having to dispel or trap extra mobs that appear, dodging tornadoes and vines, etc.

After that it's basically Do The Highest Runs You Can. Each lvl you clear gains you a higher M+ Rating, and you get seasonal rewards the higher your rating.

Just checked and the highest dungeons for the season are lvl33, but the highest you'd ever need to do is lvl20 for bonus rewards.
lvl18 dungeons are pretty cruisey with the right players.
lvl16+ is what a lot of players aim for.

The gameplay loop is really good for it, as you basically just keep getting rewarded with access to better and better gear, which helps you do higher difficulties.
There are best in slot items that people will run dungeons over and over for, but That's MMOs Baby.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:lol: Contra crew are coming to Vampire Survivors
Operation Guns - May 9

Also dropping on PS5 in Summer

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

It's more that Cataclysm is a 'bad' expansion on the way to a good expansion in Mists of Pandaria

:lol: never mind, they've just announced WoW Remix: Mists of Pandaria for Dragonflight

Looks like a time limited event which is the PVE counterpart to the PVP Plunderstorm limited event.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

as i was going through the end of the leveling story and getting towards unlocking the endgame raids and stuff, at one point when i first logged in one day i was immediately shown a cutscene full of characters i had never met talking about things i had no idea of. it was a cutscene showing story progression from the most current raid, which i hadn't unlocked yet, and just confused the hell out of me. the game didn't care that i wasn't caught up, it showed that cutscene to everyone i assume. having come from several years of FF14 this was kind of a shock. the game was spoiling itself to me. there was another instance of confusing cutscenes involving the evoker/dracthyr starting area, which has some cool animatics as part of the story, but not all of them (they came out on youtube before the expansion launched, so i knew i was missing something) and that was confusing as hell too.

and even for non-story related stuff, there's a whole new crafting system that i tried to interact with but ultimately didn't get anything out of. there's a system to put up crafting orders to and for other players, but every time i tried to do my own, the order board was basically empty. i had joined too late in the expansion, nobody wanted crafted gear anymore. i think i tried queueing up for the first raid but since it was such old content i would have had to wait in the queue forever. the big cavern area that was supposed to serve as the endgame world quest place was also just a big uggh for me. i think i am good on ever doing world quests ever again

Nah these are valid complaints. If there's one thing WoW sucks at is keeping older content relevant, and basically drags the playerbase as a whole along for the ride; regardless of where they're at in the playthrough. The upside of that is that you're always engaging with the latest relevant content, the downside is that returning players will oft times miss story beats as you've mentioned.

FF14 is good with keeping story phases evergreen, and it's something I hope WoW will eventually do (But it's pretty doubtful)

As for crafting? Yeah... you either got in early or you didn't. This was their first iteration of the new crafting system, so I'm hoping they take a bunch of lessons to apply it towards War Within.
You shouldn't feel alone in your frustration wrt crafting, as the community pretty much shares them.

They introduced companion AI for solo dungeon running at your own pace pretty recently. Maybe down the road they'll roll it out to raids as well.

Evil Kit posted:

But that doesn't apply to MMOs. I've yet to see compelling and good gameplay from a single one. I'm glad you enjoy it, even if it baffles me. Tried WoW way back at the beginning, wasn't for me, even changed significantly.

Nah yeah, it's good to recognise what genres you enjoy.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 10, 2024

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

New Prince of Persia. Roguelike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZzOxEK7hXo

Looks pretty dope

vvvv longer first impresions video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdRO0foArLY

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

khwarezm posted:

Are there any threads on this site where I can make fun of gamers crying that videogame women aren't sexy enough?

The Stellar Blade thread

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is that CEO longhand for "We broke"?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

OK now lets hear from the employees they just left out to dry, with 0 notice they've been fired, if they share the same sentiments.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

So Modern Warfare 3 is doing a tie-in with Godzilla x Kong and introduced a big King Kong fist you can buy for EIGHTY DOLLARS and shockingly it's apparently not worth it!

https://www.ign.com/articles/call-o...nt-worth-buying

There's a Ducati promo in PUBG atm, I think the only guaranteed way to get it is to spend a stupid amount of money on it.

You can get it as a bonus drop in the crates you buy, but the chance of getting it is low.

It may come up in a new crafters pass for like $10, but they've obfuscated if that's going to happen and it feels super predatory

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

people should play the online game based on that

https://godzilla.fandom.com/wiki/Godzilla:_Online

You aren't hype for the Godzilla X Kong 4X mobile game??!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOVN97RC11I

Vermain posted:

it's still baffling to me that we somehow went from the 2014 gareth edwards flick that somberly treats godzilla as this smoke-shrouded mythological titan to the loving MonsterVerse where godzilla is casting a fire enchant on king kong's level 99 scrap axe to defeat mechagodzilla

They all rule for different reasons.

All the different Godzilla's over the years basically start off serious and end in boxing matches.
The Showa era films in particular start off with the original 1954 film and end with a series of 5 or so back-to-back films that basically turn him into a street fighter.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Add Shin Godzilla to the list of modern Serious Zillas, featuring the most serious monster of all - Bureaucracy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HABPMSQYt-Y

Google 'Shin Godzilla Red Menace' for the best version

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*tips Ubisoft $200 AUD*

*Ubisoft revokes license years later*

mutata posted:

Real doofus behavior.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Larryb posted:

On another note, how’s the live action Fallout series out of curiosity and is it based on any specific game in the franchise?

I'm halfway through and the production levels are incredibly good.

Curious about where it's going to end up, but they're nailing it so far.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sunsetting should become an industry norm for online games.
Effectively planned obsolescence and releasing a final patch that allows players to host their own offline servers, with bots if possible.

Is something like Foamstars going to set the world on fire? Probably not, but maybe that's some kids favourite game and it'd be cool if they could still play the drat thing.

Unfortunately the reality is it oft times come down to licenses expiring and The Shareholders don't see any ROI on developing an offline patch. So why do it!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Turns out Amazon can put together a pretty decent Fallout series.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah Westworld S2 onwards is just mystery after mystery for sake of adding mysteries and never really resolving anything adequately.
Same problem Lost suffered from - AMAZING S1, but then just had to keep itself syndicated.

Fallout ends in a pretty good spot, I'm curious what they'd do with a S2.
Production value was really really good, so I def wouldn't mind seeing a new vault

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Show got me wanting to reinstall Fallout 4 and finish it off tho. Probably enough add-ons now to fix it right up

Might add New Vegas to my list of games to play this year, as I've never played it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/rHBRXrY.mp4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

We're already playing it, they just asked us really nicely not to stream it.

Aussies only unfortunately

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

man nurse posted:

I feel like my life is improved on some level by the knowledge that Keanu Reeves is playing Shadow the Hedgehog

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean that's literally just normal Sun Wukong. You can read the Journey to the West right now.

Why read when you can watch the cult classic?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiqkwPJTJko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*slams button*