Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

I grew up on Youtube Poop so of course I had a CD-I Zelda phase. This game is basically "What if the CD-I Zelda games had enough time and budget to actually make the games instead of just whipping the devs to get two games out in a year" and it turns out it rules and also jump is on a normal button now

If you're clicking this thread to see if the game turned out good, it turned out very good and you should play it. that's my review

:siren:Episodes!:siren:

Let's Play Arzette: The Jewel Of Faramore Episode 1 - Golly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, this game. I already followed three other LPs of Arzette, but the game is just so charming, it's addictive. I've already wishlisted it, so I won't forget to get it as soon as my titanic backlog becomes more manageable.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I have no idea why anyone would painstakingly recreate those games' design and cutscene style, but I'm glad they did :five:

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student

Captain Hygiene posted:

I have no idea why anyone would painstakingly recreate those games' design and cutscene style, but I'm glad they did :five:

I mean the gameplay of the original game (if you ignore the controls being non-functional) was actually an okay basic idea basically a sidescroller metrovaniaish exploration game with zelda items and themes is salvage albeit not ultra exciting idea. The voice acting, animation and dialogue while not good in a technical sense are very funny in an interesting way that is memberable (as youtube poops are quick to point out). What's funny is that the fast paced exposition heavy nature of the dialogue in the original CDi game is definitely the nature of the fact that wanted all dialogue to be animated cutscenes which combined with a rushed production schedule likely made them a tight squeeze on the disk, they'd likely be awful in a less funny way if they made like stuff like talking to the merchant meeting friendly npc just text instead of an entire scene, and reserved the animated scenes for (much like modern pre-rendered cutscenes) like the beginning the end and major plot events.

Also I love how this game pays tribute to those CDI games in a way where nintendo could absolutely not sue for this product if they wanted to (you can't sue for mechanics really, none of the characters map perfectly enough to CDI characters in ways be legal problem at all, and voice actors and backgruond artists are allowed to work on more then one project and it has the giant level of the parody defense fair use to back up).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Not just the game itself, but Limited Run also put out a loving modernized CD-I controller for the Switch and PC if you want to fully complete the experience of the game being unplayable garbage just like Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon were on original hardware.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

For something that is essentially a shitpost manifest, this game is incredibly charming.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

This is an dedicated work of beautiful animation to make something that looks incredibly terrible. I am impressed, and yet repelled. Amazing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Arzette: The Jewel Of Faramore Episode 2 - Why Can I Kill This?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

disposablewords posted:

This is an dedicated work of beautiful animation to make something that looks incredibly terrible. I am impressed, and yet repelled. Amazing.

Oh boy does this ring true re. the desert fairy.

Also, I think the Princess 'lies' because (before a patch corrected it) if you had the item a person wants before finding out from them what they wanted, the 'resolved' animation played, meaning the players lost out on some of the wonderful animation. And I think we can all be agreed that seeing as much of this animation is the preferred way of experiencing this game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
jesus christ, that thumbnail

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

This is incredible on so many levels and I love it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

This is incredible on so many levels and I love it.

Yeah, you WOULD.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Arzette: The Jewel Of Faramore Episode 3 - The One That Beefed It

I really love how often you can get a new thing and be like "oh poo poo I can use this in X level", but much like in real Zelda games I will forget like 75% of the time

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Arzette: The Jewel Of Faramore Episode 4 - The Bee Hole

Fair warning I uh get a little sloppy for the next episode or two, so don't be surprised if I forget what character wants what item

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Love how theres 0 consistency in animation between all the cutscenes, except for the choppy framerate.
Ones rotoscoped 3d, ones just demented like the original cd-i, and others are just good animation at low framerates.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 4, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Love how theres 0 consistency in animation between all the cutscenes, except for the choppy framerate.
Ones rotoscoped 3d, ones just demented like the original cd-i, and others are just good animation at low framerates.

It's brilliant, isn't it?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

It's so much effort to recreate a jumbled mess of bad animations and it's amazing.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

They really understood what was captivating about the original work and recreated it well. For how shooting for "so bad it's good" intentionally usually goes they did a really drat good job.

StudlyCaps
Oct 4, 2012

Danaru posted:

Fair warning I uh get a little sloppy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:yeshaha:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Whoever voiced that snail was channeling their inner Meatwad for sure.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Arzette: The Jewel Of Faramore Episode 5 - Snow Lesbian, Please

Apparently Skelvis is voiced by the same guy who voiced CD-I Link, and the narrator in the beginning was CD-I Zelda

This game rules

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
"Pam from Stardew Valley" was also Zelda's voice actor, I believe :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I know I'm unfair here, but the way you managed to keep missing very obvious treasure while standing right in front of it gives me physical pain.

The only way I could make it stop was by buying the game and playing along, hovering up everything you missed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Snesbian, surely.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Arzette: The Jewel Of Faramore Episode 6 - Beeves And His Lads

I swear I improve a bunch next episode

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Arzette: The Jewel Of Faramore Episode 7 - He Didn't Use The Ladder

It took so drat long to get my PC back :negative:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Arzette: The Jewel Of Faramore Episode 8 - Sword Electricikcize

Doing some cleaning up before we go kick Daimur's dick off

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Don't worry, I'm still here watching the videos! You haven't lost me yet!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

:same:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

hey that snail is mario

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That fishmonger lady is a terror with the salt :magical:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That fishmonger lady is a terror with the salt :magical:

TBF a lot of people would go nuts over it if they'd never had any salt before, and she's not wrong to salt the ice cream either. She might have a hosed up palate with the way she pours it on stuff, but without her cleaver it's probably safe to recommend she go easier on it if she's serving stuff to other people.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
if she eats any of that stuff she's salted, she's fucken' dead

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That's just a tiny pinch for anyone who's been on the internet since the 00s.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
The game is on sale for $16 right now and is a real good time, by the way :unsmith:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Arzette: The Jewel Of Faramore Episode 9 - Thanks Gloobert

This game fuckin' rules

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Uh uh uh uh uh uh huh huh uh uh uh uh huh huh uh

If you know, you know

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hurray! We saved the Republic of Faramore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Just binged this. What a fascinating game! Thanks for LPing it.