Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student

Captain Hygiene posted:

I have no idea why anyone would painstakingly recreate those games' design and cutscene style, but I'm glad they did :five:

I mean the gameplay of the original game (if you ignore the controls being non-functional) was actually an okay basic idea basically a sidescroller metrovaniaish exploration game with zelda items and themes is salvage albeit not ultra exciting idea. The voice acting, animation and dialogue while not good in a technical sense are very funny in an interesting way that is memberable (as youtube poops are quick to point out). What's funny is that the fast paced exposition heavy nature of the dialogue in the original CDi game is definitely the nature of the fact that wanted all dialogue to be animated cutscenes which combined with a rushed production schedule likely made them a tight squeeze on the disk, they'd likely be awful in a less funny way if they made like stuff like talking to the merchant meeting friendly npc just text instead of an entire scene, and reserved the animated scenes for (much like modern pre-rendered cutscenes) like the beginning the end and major plot events.

Also I love how this game pays tribute to those CDI games in a way where nintendo could absolutely not sue for this product if they wanted to (you can't sue for mechanics really, none of the characters map perfectly enough to CDI characters in ways be legal problem at all, and voice actors and backgruond artists are allowed to work on more then one project and it has the giant level of the parody defense fair use to back up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU