Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Ok I have to admit, the bastard being forced to listen to this is genuinely funny. You were right facialimpediment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The judge should allow the ones saying that Trump specifically belongs in prison to be stricken with cause, but the ones about Trump being a shithead or Republicans in general being corrupt should require burning peremptory strikes.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Ok I have to admit, the bastard being forced to listen to this is genuinely funny. You were right facialimpediment

nyt posted:

As the lawyers discuss yet another prospective juror, who posted a meme about Trump captioned, “I don’t think this is what they meant by ‘Orange Is the New Black,’" Trump himself appears to be studying the meme on a printed-out sheet of paper. He does not look amused at all.

kilgore trout on bluesky posted:

everyone who ever typed “you know trump is never gonna see this right” taking a huge L today

They've seated 6/12 so far and they need 6 additional alternates. STAY TUNED

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Platystemon posted:

The judge should allow the ones saying that Trump specifically belongs in prison to be stricken with cause, but the ones about Trump being a shithead or Republicans in general being corrupt should require burning peremptory strikes.

I'm not necessarily saying he should go to prison, just that I have a bottle of scotch set aside for the day he does. Or if he dies rage-tweeting on the shitter.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Everything about american jury selection is wack, they should just randomize two team captains from the pool and then let them pick five more each because they'll have to do a variety of game show challenges during recesses and sidebars

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Dubai is getting flooded, something like 5-6 inches of rain in the past day. Photos and poo poo are wild.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

Dubai is getting flooded, something like 5-6 inches of rain in the past day. Photos and poo poo are wild.

Well rain is simply proof there isn't global warming, so

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The Eyes Have It posted:

I think there's a book about this. It had something about money and consequences? It was very judgemental too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Eyes Have It posted:

Oh no. Anyway,

I'm just kidding, rip probably a bunch of underpaid (unpaid?) SEAsians. Now them I DO feel bad for

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Looks like the cloud seeding is working.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

The Eyes Have It posted:

Does Dubai even have a functioning drainage system? Last I knew, they were still trucking liquid waste out of the Burj Khalifa as the city lacked the infrastructure to manage all the poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cult_hero posted:

Does Dubai even have a functioning drainage system? Last I knew, they were still trucking liquid waste out of the Burj Khalifa as the city lacked the infrastructure to manage all the poo poo.

The sewage is mostly piped and not trucked now, but they’re not done building the tunnels yet.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
please show mercy on us, my wife is very sick

https://twitter.com/BLaw/status/1778628131772883233?t=kpLGQ8e5S4OkgbdHbKbvCg&s=19

BECAUSE SHE GOT CAUGHT BITCH SET ME UP

https://twitter.com/BenWeiserNYT/status/1780341105126510754?t=PR1gEHQCW5GgSVbLIdNQEg&s=19

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Crossposting this because it's big news:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/23pdf/22-888_1b8e.pdf

Supreme Court just ruled that if you have two periods of service that would each independently qualify you for both MGIB and Post 9/11, you're able to use both up to a combined 48 months of benefits. Previously, you were capped at 36 months.

This would make me happy if I can have an additional 12 months with the MGIB once my remaining 7 from the post-9/11 are exhausted in the future. Gotta get that doctorate one way or another (my husband has a PhD and is in academia, so yes I realize in a perfect world you should never ever pay for a doctorate)

Edit: I am going to guess that the VA, in an attempt to gently caress over veterans, is going to say that if you exhausted your post-9/11 GI Bill and thus got back your $1200 bucks from the MGIB, you're hosed

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 16, 2024

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
two late-breaking goats

https://twitter.com/HowardMortman/status/1780324986579808269

https://twitter.com/thepopcornreel/status/1780363955636175328

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/498211667818586112

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Thinking about those buttery emails...

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

man some of these are loving good

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1780316934052987175?t=2q0I4H8tIg55dJVbbk4AJg&s=19

incidentally, this is proving that Donnie doesn't have entirely-halfassed council, they've got the usual good social media crawlers to weed out jurors

Even if these jurors are being dismissed, wouldn’t these posts be enough to identify them? Especially as it could be combined with how they must live in a certain area & are likely between the ages of 18 and 80?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Even if these jurors are being dismissed, wouldn’t these posts be enough to identify them? Especially as it could be combined with how they must live in a certain area & are likely between the ages of 18 and 80?

Maybe if there's something a little more unique than those, but I suspect that New Yorkers sharing jokes about how Trump is a stupid rear end in a top hat is a fairly large pool.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
At a minimum there's going to be ketchup on the walls from this. A full-bore narcissist does not gracefully handle other people saying things like those tweets and Facebook posts, AND he's got someone in a position of authority over him saying "You will do what I say here." He's going to be inching over the line every possible time he thinks he can get away with it with every petty, spiteful act of bitterness and hatred he can come up with. Guaranteed, that's going to be just the cosmic background radiation of the trial. I will also be surprised if he doesn't throw a full on temper tantrum at some point. He's going to be a pressure cooker bomb building heat every single day and the only question in my mind is where, when and on who he explodes to vent his narcissistic rage.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

i hope the prosecutor draws out jury selection to dozens and dozens and dozens of rejected jurors so new yorkers get the chance to endlessly dunk on that orange fraud, speaking their social media burns straight to his face

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Maybe if there's something a little more unique than those, but I suspect that New Yorkers sharing jokes about how Trump is a stupid rear end in a top hat is a fairly large pool.

Yep. The jury members are going to be anonymous, but the public poo poo shared is probably enough, like "worker at Stuff and Things Bookstore in Brooklyn". Like the foreperson is Irish-born and such-and-such. The meme-sharing poo poo isn't enough.

pmchem posted:

i hope the prosecutor draws out jury selection to dozens and dozens and dozens of rejected jurors so new yorkers get the chance to endlessly dunk on that orange fraud, speaking their social media burns straight to his face

Apparently with New York rules, the prosecution and defense each get an amount of no-excuse dismissals they can use up. Of the 500 (I think) jurors pulled in, half were immediately excused for not being able to be impartial by their own admission. I believe the rest got the long-rear end questionnaire, had their names revealed to the prosecution/defense, and that process is what we've been seeing today.

Neither side can really delay things that much - the judge has particularly overridden some Donnie attempts at throwing jurors out during questioning. The general goal is to show the judge "uh this black woman says she can be impartial but here is a meme I found on her facebook that says ORANGE MAN BAD".

I believe the prosecution still has 6 auto-dismissals left and Donnie has 4. The judge thinks they might get done by the end of the week - they got 7/12 of the mains done, plus need another ~6 alternates. No jury picking will happen tomorrow, then Thursday/Friday will be the rest of voir dire.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

The shape of his hair in this reminded me of something: He's a fake blonde Gumby.

"He was once just a little orange slab of clay…

Trumpy!

You should see what Trumpy can do today…

Trumpy!

He can walk into any trial,

With his crappy rear end lawyers, too,

If you lack a heart, then Trumpy's a part of you!"

I know I'm trying too hard. It's late. I'll show myself out.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

Yep. The jury members are going to be anonymous, but the public poo poo shared is probably enough, like "worker at Stuff and Things Bookstore in Brooklyn". Like the foreperson is Irish-born and such-and-such. The meme-sharing poo poo isn't enough.

Apparently with New York rules, the prosecution and defense each get an amount of no-excuse dismissals they can use up. Of the 500 (I think) jurors pulled in, half were immediately excused for not being able to be impartial by their own admission. I believe the rest got the long-rear end questionnaire, had their names revealed to the prosecution/defense, and that process is what we've been seeing today.

Neither side can really delay things that much - the judge has particularly overridden some Donnie attempts at throwing jurors out during questioning. The general goal is to show the judge "uh this black woman says she can be impartial but here is a meme I found on her facebook that says ORANGE MAN BAD".

I believe the prosecution still has 6 auto-dismissals left and Donnie has 4. The judge thinks they might get done by the end of the week - they got 7/12 of the mains done, plus need another ~6 alternates. No jury picking will happen tomorrow, then Thursday/Friday will be the rest of voir dire.

Imagine missing the chance to vote to convict Trump because you didn't want to bother with jury duty

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Crossposting this because it's big news:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/23pdf/22-888_1b8e.pdf

Supreme Court just ruled that if you have two periods of service that would each independently qualify you for both MGIB and Post 9/11, you're able to use both up to a combined 48 months of benefits. Previously, you were capped at 36 months.

What if I qualified for both under the same period of service? Joined under MGIB, went to Iraq, chose P911GIB (there is no good acronym there) and exhausted it. (actually chose Chapter 31 halfway through too)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

GD_American posted:

What if I qualified for both under the same period of service? Joined under MGIB, went to Iraq, chose P911GIB (there is no good acronym there) and exhausted it. (actually chose Chapter 31 halfway through too)

Yeah, this would be pretty dope?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GD_American posted:

:yossame:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
How long until they start pulling up Something Awful posts

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Fragrag posted:

How long until they start pulling up Something Awful posts

Which subforum would be most likely to give him the angriest aneurysm? Is there time to make it us?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Bunch of troops disloyal to the once and future president.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

GD_American posted:

The decision states that the reason he was entitled to both was because of the multiple periods of service. If you enlisted initially, paid the MGIB $1200, served three years, and re-enlisted for another three that were all post 9/11, you’d be eligible for both at 100%.

Based on the opinion alone, a single four year enlistment with nothing else would not qualify you to use both.

I saw all of this with the caveat that the VA will update it’s guidance to clarify who is/isn’t eligible for both.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://x.com/colbybadhwar/status/1780586825469358588?s=46

seems bad. hopefully no injuries and quick restart

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

pmchem posted:

https://x.com/colbybadhwar/status/1780586825469358588?s=46

seems bad. hopefully no injuries and quick restart

So, can't help but think of conspiracy here given the critical nature of these to the Ukraine war.

But, how often do things like this occur? Seems like it could be one of those "why are all of our warehouses burning" stories from last year when people pointed out that those were happening at the same rate they had been in any other years.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

That Works posted:

So, can't help but think of conspiracy here given the critical nature of these to the Ukraine war.

But, how often do things like this occur? Seems like it could be one of those "why are all of our warehouses burning" stories from last year when people pointed out that those were happening at the same rate they had been in any other years.

Couldn't it also be "we spent decades spinning down capability and making an about face is hard without experienced labor"?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bloody ghost titty posted:

Couldn't it also be "we spent decades spinning down capability and making an about face is hard without experienced labor"?

Absolutely.

That and "we ramped up production while using lax safety standards because middle management said to"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

I believe the prosecution still has 6 auto-dismissals left and Donnie has 4.

Donnie Goodbrain is mad about this today:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1780603115240370537?t=YQfOTd3csb7HEtBOeyK80Q&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He has the worst loving attorneys.

They have the worst loving client.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Platystemon posted:

For all four cases are they wise enough to demand payment in advance?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Platystemon posted:

both statements can be true; after all, those attorneys are choosing to represent trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Zamujasa posted:

both statements can be true; after all, those attorneys are choosing to represent trump

As much as I despise him, if I was a low-rent ham-and-egger attorney and got given the chance to gamble on a lifetime rightwing grift sinecure, I'd take the chance more times than not. You go in knowing Trump will stiff you, you're just trying to pivot to getting on the culture war wingnut welfare dole