Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

pseudosavior posted:

Honestly he's going through what I have thought for years should be a standard practice in this country: you start a war, your kids (or other family member) get immediately drafted. Not a commissioned position, enlisted.

Make them put some skin in the game, then see how high they wave their banners.

It was wild reading about WWII and how while I’m sure some rich kids evaded service, tons didn’t including the Kennedys and JFK’s older brother died attacking a V2 site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Dare I refute a Twitter posting, but Axios says that Van Orden called Gaetz "tubby," and then went Walter Sobchak.

quote:

Van Orden told Axios he called Gaetz “tubby” after the Florida congressman referred to Van Orden as a “squish,” a term popularized by right-wing Republicans in the 1990s to refer to moderates who sometimes vote with Democrats.

“Anybody who has not been in combat and held his friend's hand as they died [after being] shot by the enemy really doesn't have any business calling someone else a squish,” Van Orden, a former Navy SEAL, explained to Axios.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wait… I want to root for the guy slapping around Gaetz but he’s a prior SEAL? Ooohhh this problematic.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It was wild reading about WWII and how while I’m sure some rich kids evaded service, tons didn’t including the Kennedys and JFK’s older brother died attacking a V2 site.

WW2 was the last "righteous" war

And Joe Kennedy Jr got reduced to component molecules when the B24 drone he was flying decided to blow a little early

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

facialimpediment posted:

Better, he actually hurt his own case. It's apparently common for the prosecution to give the defense the first three witnesses they're going to call. Prosecution said "uh, we're not doing that because *gesticulates wildly at Trump*". Leading to this exchange:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1781074017044111530?t=iRAf_6eibxSTM5u59Kl7pA&s=19
full text of embed:

quote:

Trump attorney Todd Blanche asked who the DA's Office plans to call as their first three witnesses. Joshua Steinglass from office refused on the basis that Trump has been tweeting about them.

Judge Merchan said he doesn't blame the DA's office. Blanche said Trump won't tweet about the witnesses — to which Merchan said Blanche can't promise that.

Merchan refused to order the DA's office to name its first three witnesses.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
welp, Israel is chucking jet fighters and/or missiles at a bunch of Iranian military sites, so that's fun

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/1781123916825567461?t=_Ht46g85je0A7PM1-VNOfA&s=19

US officials are confirming the hit on Iran at a minimum

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

it seems it cannot be overstated just how insanely loving stupid israel is

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://x.com/sentdefender/status/1781140823284801699

interesting to target the tomcats.

rumor has it a couple of israeli pilots were shot down and this is video of their escape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n__rJ1vvPQ

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
All they had to do was exercise a modicum of restraint.

Geeze.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kith posted:

it seems it cannot be overstated just how insanely loving stupid israel is

Looks like we get to test how much POTUS stands by Israel going it alone if they want to throw hands at Iran.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

All they had to do was exercise a modicum of restraint.

Geeze.

A bunch of stuff I saw today: There was a floated deal that the Americans were proposing Israel recognizes a Palestinian state in exchange for cemented Saudi Arabian ties. US vetoed recognition of a Palestinian state at the UN. Jordan sent a message to Israel (through the US) asking that Israel wouldn't use their airspace in any counterattack. Fallout was renewed by Amazon Prime for a second season.

Busy day!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Sure would be nice if the US had swatted down the Israeli strike to minimize risk of escalation the same way it did Iran's, but we can't have nice things.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Israel needs a boot on it's neck, teach these people to stop behaving like savages. They need to be humbled.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

And Joe Kennedy Jr got reduced to component molecules when the B24 drone he was flying decided to blow a little early

Whats funny is even though they didn't hit their target a Nazi got blown up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

Whats funny is even though they didn't hit their target a Nazi got blown up.

It didn't blow up Joe Sr though :confused:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

orange juche posted:

Looks like we get to test how much POTUS stands by Israel going it alone if they want to throw hands at Iran.

Probably going to depend on what Israel hit in Iran proper. Current reports can't decide if it was a nuclear facility or a drone production facility. Also some reports that the place in Iraq they hit was some militia meeting. Probably will find out when I wake up!

Edit: good initial sign that Iran is saying their nuke facilities are fine

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 19, 2024

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone got estimates on what percentage of the Shahed's used in Ukraine are made in Iran vs. Russia?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hyrax Attack! posted:

MA-Horus posted:

Didn't he sign up for that mission because he was trying to one-up JFK for PT-109?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Man how far does Bibi have to push this before we get tired and he gets Diem'd.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pmchem posted:

https://x.com/sentdefender/status/1781140823284801699

interesting to target the tomcats.

rumor has it a couple of israeli pilots were shot down and this is video of their escape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n__rJ1vvPQ

I also like this form of the joke

https://x.com/andrewcfollett/status/1781143165094764633?s=46

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mustang posted:

Israel needs a boot on it's neck, teach these people to stop behaving like savages. They need to be humbled.

:chloe:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

P sure that's from a quote some far-right Israeli politician made about palestinians

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Duzzy Funlop posted:

P sure that's from a quote some far-right Israeli politician made about palestinians

Well, they really should've included that context in the OP.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It is something said by an Israeli leader about Palestinians, though I can't remember the guys name.

All the while Israel turns a city of 2 million people into rubble, kills tens of thousands of people, mostly women and children, and seems highly interested in starting an even larger war in the area. Not to mention they're now intent on starving the people that they haven't already killed.

When is enough, enough?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I wonder if Israel intentionally targeted Iranian drone production facilities that would put a squeeze on the arms trade between Iran and Russia? It seems like the kind of targeting that they could attempt to sell to the US as being mutually beneficial, even if its an escalation.

Biden really needs to shut this poo poo down immediately. Any further escalation results in a policy shift with respect to defending Israel would be great to hear.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CBJSprague24 posted:

Didn't he sign up for that mission because he was trying to one-up JFK for PT-109?

I dunno but I’d believe it with that family, I only recently learned one of RFK’s kids perished at the age of 39 by skiing into a tree during snow football at Aspen after having been warned by the ski patrol to knock it off.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I dunno but I’d believe it with that family, I only recently learned one of RFK’s kids perished at the age of 39 by skiing into a tree during snow football at Aspen after having been warned by the ski patrol to knock it off.

Wrong Kid Died

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does anyone have a better explanation of how RFK Jr. became a hosed up guy than “childhood trauma” and “he was an environmental lawyer and walked away with all the wrong lessons”?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Platystemon posted:

Does anyone have a better explanation of how RFK Jr. became a hosed up guy than “childhood trauma” and “he was an environmental lawyer and walked away with all the wrong lessons”?

I don't have any specifics, but being born into a rich and powerful political family probably didn't do him any favors in developing empathy or basic humanity.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Platystemon posted:

I don't know, but his family just endorsed Biden.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Grip it and rip it posted:

Imagine missing the chance to vote to convict Trump because you didn't want to bother with jury duty

The opposite of jury nullification except you and your family will probably be murdered by a person who can’t see out their his back window because of all the stickers.

Nah I’m good.

Mad respect to anyone stupid/brave enough to sit on this jury but I would peace the gently caress out because I enjoy continuing to live.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

The funny thing is that Van Orden later clarified that he was calling Matt Gaetz tubby.

Matt Gaetz looks like a scarecrow who was animated solely to creep on teenage girls.

Van Orden is either dumb or playing 4d chess with the neuroses buried deep within that alleged child molester’s peanut of a brain.

Good either way.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The opposite of jury nullification except you and your family will probably be murdered by a person who can’t see out their his back window because of all the stickers.

Nah I’m good.

Mad respect to anyone stupid/brave enough to sit on this jury but I would peace the gently caress out because I enjoy continuing to live.

It's kind of an interesting situation, since anyone with a strong motivation to be on the Jury would be rejected, so you have to find 12 people who have no political convictions whatsoever, but is willing to be harassed and put in danger.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bulletsponge13 posted:

Wrong Kid Died

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009
What a source link this is, but -- some noises from both sides that the Isfahan attack was not considered escalatory. Also some interesting internal strife among Israeli leaders on it:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-says-no-retaliation-planned-as-both-sides-seek-distance-from-isfahan-attack/

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Wrennic_26 posted:

What a source link this is, but -- some noises from both sides that the Isfahan attack was not considered escalatory. Also some interesting internal strife among Israeli leaders on it:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-says-no-retaliation-planned-as-both-sides-seek-distance-from-isfahan-attack/

Yeah I ain't got poo poo on my feed this morning. Lots and lots of "what attack? We shot it all down, go away" from Iranian official news agencies. There was more excitement about how the new TSwift album was actually a double album.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

CBJSprague24 posted:

Basically. He was the heir apparent but the status of being his dad's favorite shifted to his brother. Couldn't let that happen so he decided to strap his butt to a make-shift bunkerbuster.

The amusing part is I think the facility they were aiming for had been taken out by the RAF earlier.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Insert Chaos Reigns wolf here.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/19/house-democrats-mike-johnson-foreign-aid

quote:

House Democrats came to the rescue of Mike Johnson, the Republican speaker, in a rare move for a committee that normally votes along party lines, in order to save the Ukraine aid legislation from rightwing rebels.
On Thursday night, the four Democrats on the House rules committee voted with five Republicans to advance the aid package that Johnson has devised, agreeing procedures, which could now go forward to a vote on the House floor on Friday ahead of voting on the legislation itself.

He has now committed the unforgiveable sin of working with the enemy. Blood will be spilled by the MAGA lunatics.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
daddy trumpy got his uppies today

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1781323992483213646?t=36R1RnotZ33ljGgCE-AYnw&s=19

quote:

Donald Trump has closed his eyes a number of times for short periods while seated at the defense table as prospective jurors respond to the judge's questionnaire. At one point, his attorney Todd Blanche passed him a container of something edible and Trump put something in his mouth and began chewing it. The former president now appears awake and alert.

bird food bathtub posted:

Insert Chaos Reigns wolf here.

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1781305989255352564?t=N0qrne4pCj2t8NLyZdFIvg&s=19

sucks that it took so loving long, but Ukraine aid is on a glide path now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Be awesome if the Dems used this leverage to like get Freedom Caucus loons off of committees.