Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shalhavet posted:

New doctors, regardless of income, are unlikely to be in a "policy-making position" so they should be okay.

People sue over poo poo that doesn’t impact their bottom line or impacts it positively all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

OddObserver posted:

Someone needs to make SNES cartridges with RTGs for battery backup. I wonder how small one can make one?

There's a company in florida that makes tritium betavoltaics in DIP-28 and LCC-44 packages but they only make rated current for ~20 years, the 2032 coin batteries are already a better solution before getting into the $5800 price tag

also the rated current is like, a few hundred nanoamps

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Does this actually happen? I've signed employment agreements that include non-competes for practically every job including some in seriously anti-labor states, and it has never been a factor with changing jobs.

It seems like a good policy change on paper, but is it like the federal marijuana possession clemency where it helped like 11 people in practice? If it's just a press release while a meaningful rule change is passed off to someone else for years (like actual marijuana rescheduling) that's less impressive.

The clemency for the 11 people was for distribution or conspiracy to distribute crack, coke and meth . I happened at the same time as the further expansion of the previous marijuana pardons which made the Biden Bad narrative easier to manufacture. As most marijuana possession cases are state cases which a President cannot pardon, there wasn't going to be as much effect anyway.

Since federal labor law reaches considerably farther into employment everywhere in the US, there's going to be more effect than federal marijuana laws.

So no, it's not like federal marijuana possession clemency where it helped like 11 people, because the premise is false. But it's even better because federal labor policy affects far, far more people than federal marijuana laws.

But management will still try to screw labor, and since it's not FALGSC, Biden still bad.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/KenCox/status/1782900522757877993?t=-Oci2N-fNucykNNspJy8CA&s=19

What's he going to do when he thinks he is falling on the sword by going to jail when he consistently bitches about the courtroom temperature as is and won't get twice daily media scrums?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/KenCox/status/1782900522757877993?t=-Oci2N-fNucykNNspJy8CA&s=19

What's he going to do when he thinks he is falling on the sword by going to jail when he consistently bitches about the courtroom temperature as is and won't get twice daily media scrums?
As much as I wish this was "Secret Service reads the writing on the wall and prepares to have an agent outside Trump's cell in the protective custody unit" I think this is just "Secret Service is doing its job and makes sure it has a plan for any likely scenario, one of which is trump going to jail because he's currently in court."

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Trump having to do even a single day in jail would be like birthday, 4th of July and New Years combined. And a delicious minefield for his lawyers.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

psydude posted:

I know people who have turned down offers of employment over fear of violating a non-compete. It has the effect of deterring people from moving companies, which translates to suppressed wages as well as limiting the spread and cross-pollination of ideas throughout an industry

Yeah an excessively ethical friend who was at a terrible place paying as little as they could get away with applied for and got a drastically better job & was worried last second that their garbage former employer might try to enact a non-compete clause as both businesses “sold things.” They of course didn’t but could understand people being worried.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Didn't this stuff first start making it into public conscience because some sandwich shop sued an ex employee and then there were articles about someone else being lovely like that to like a construction worker?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

joat mon posted:

Trump having to do even a single day in jail would be like birthday, 4th of July and New Years combined. And a delicious minefield for his lawyers.

I'd probably get day drunk hooting and hollering about it but it's not gonna happen. The US will do everything possible to not inconvenience the wealthy.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

And now for something completely different.

From the "still learning the fundamentals" desk, a team from MIT has discovered the "photomolecular effect" - whereby water molecules are knocked free by the physical interaction with photons, resulting in evaporation even in the absence of heat energy.

How light can vaporize water without the need for heat

quote:

In a series of painstakingly precise experiments, a team of researchers at MIT has demonstrated that heat isn’t alone in causing water to evaporate. Light, striking the water’s surface where air and water meet, can break water molecules away and float them into the air, causing evaporation in the absence of any source of heat.

The authors say their study suggests that the effect should happen widely in nature— everywhere from clouds to fogs to the surfaces of oceans, soils, and plants — and that it could also lead to new practical applications, including in energy and clean water production. “I think this has a lot of applications,” Chen says. “We’re exploring all these different directions. And of course, it also affects the basic science, like the effects of clouds on climate, because clouds are the most uncertain aspect of climate models.”

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Wait, somebody still does basic science?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Coasterphreak posted:

Wait, somebody still does basic science?

they do, but it happens like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_63IJryJhFs

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

stealie72 posted:

As much as I wish this was "Secret Service reads the writing on the wall and prepares to have an agent outside Trump's cell in the protective custody unit" I think this is just "Secret Service is doing its job and makes sure it has a plan for any likely scenario, one of which is trump going to jail because he's currently in court."

Yea. Although its probably way easier from an executive protection standpoint to toss trump in isolation with a secret service dude sitting outside the door than whatever he does now. I doubt theyd let someone with executive protection needs in genpop. Which would be a great epilogue in my opinion to dudes story.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Last week, Columbia University cracked down hard on peaceful protest, putting a firm and conclusive end to students demonstrating in support of Palestine.

...or not. Mother Jones has a running list of the proliferation of campus protests across the country this week, as well as some of the ludicrously heavy-handed responses from administrators and politicians. Republicans, in particular, are demanding the National Guard put down the protests, in a transparent strategy to divide a Democratic Party already split on Israel's war crimes in Gaza. Weirdly, some ostensibly liberal Democratic Party representatives are striking the same tone instead of pushing back on what looks like a preview of the kind of anti-academic crackdowns many were expecting of a second Trump administration.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I saw some of that news elsewhere, including pictures of Yale people being loaded up on Yale-branded busses to be sent off to jail, which is some wild optics.

Are we going to get another picture of donut cop casually pepper spraying people point blank?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Cugel the Clever posted:

Weirdly, some ostensibly liberal Democratic Party representatives are striking the same tone instead of pushing back on what looks like a preview of the kind of anti-academic crackdowns many were expecting of a second Trump administration.

It's more that there are two groups - students in tent cities and clear anti-semite outsider rando groups that are showing up.

Administrators are overreacting to #1 by pretending they're all #2. Social media idiots are joining them for clout. Hyperprogs are underreacting to #2 by pretending the protests are nothing but #1. Social media idiots are joining them for clout.

Police don't give a poo poo either way, because they get to use their toys and be all fashy on people that don't shoot back:

https://twitter.com/J_Dot_J/status/1783214687863152670?t=NiPCWeZnASOcZ2CYaHml5Q&s=19

Zamujasa posted:

Are we going to get another picture of donut cop casually pepper spraying people point blank?

Sure looking that way! Nothing quite yet, other than those idiot cops bringing four mags and ARs to a peaceful protest.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zamujasa posted:

I saw some of that news elsewhere, including pictures of Yale people being loaded up on Yale-branded busses to be sent off to jail, which is some wild optics.

All the campus cops will be itching to do that to get a worker’s comp payout like Officer Pike did.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
If the cops didn't come to start a riot, why are they all dressed up for one?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pseudosavior posted:

If the cops didn't come to start a riot, why are they all dressed up for one?

The police are not there to create disorder; the police are there to preserve disorder.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Stultus Maximus posted:

The police are not there to create disorder; the police are there to preserve disorder.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

Sure looking that way! Nothing quite yet, other than those idiot cops bringing four mags and ARs to a peaceful protest.

And bingo, they arrested a media photographer on bullshit:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1783252918847537374?t=FacNJfbilTuL1YR4mNJ3kg&s=19

It's some real, real bullshit:

https://www.fox7austin.com/video/1446129

Edit2: Yeah cameradude has a valid use of force lawsuit against these cops - look at 0:07, he gets yanked from behind

https://twitter.com/Chris_Kuhlman00/status/1783246503907311936

Edit3: There's another angle from a slanted source that shows the camera lightly tapping an officer that got way out in front, likely when the cameraman stumbled, so contempt of cop

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 25, 2024

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Last week, Columbia University cracked down hard on peaceful protest, putting a firm and conclusive end to students demonstrating in support of Palestine.

...or not. Mother Jones has a running list of the proliferation of campus protests across the country this week, as well as some of the ludicrously heavy-handed responses from administrators and politicians. Republicans, in particular, are demanding the National Guard put down the protests, in a transparent strategy to divide a Democratic Party already split on Israel's war crimes in Gaza. Weirdly, some ostensibly liberal Democratic Party representatives are striking the same tone instead of pushing back on what looks like a preview of the kind of anti-academic crackdowns many were expecting of a second Trump administration.

Well if that ain't a Tin Omen.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
lol Kelli Ward caught a charge

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1783271927726940421

No idea about the redacted names - they haven't been served yet.

Edit: Donnie's an unindicted co-conspirator

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 25, 2024

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Cugel the Clever posted:

12 Red states already are banning DEI programs for all schools. UT Austin and colleges across those states are firing dozens of teachers for fear of drawing the wrath of chuds who would pull millions of dollars in funding for the schools.

gently caress those pieces of dog poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

facialimpediment posted:

Edit: Donnie's an unindicted co-conspirator

am i to understand this means donnie flipped on them?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

am i to understand this means donnie flipped on them?

Nope, the investigators just determined there wasn't enough to charge him, but he was still involved. It's been the same deal in the other states, like Michigan, where basically because his name isn't a signed on the fraudulent thing, it's not enough to catch the charge.

Edit: And looks like state law quirks will catch Rudy on this one Edit2: hot drat they went for everyone

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1783276170999656762

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 25, 2024

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

Probably. Ivy League campus buses hauling their own students to the clink is some infinitely excellent visuals though. :discourse:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
liberals have spent months clutching the pearls over imagined rampant antisemitism in response to even the mildest criticism of Israeli so whatever the cops start dishing out on students is going to be bipartisanly applauded

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Proud Christian Mom posted:

liberals have spent months clutching the pearls over imagined rampant antisemitism in response to even the mildest criticism of Israeli so whatever the cops start dishing out on students is going to be bipartisanly applauded

Do you have any examples of this? I haven't seen anything like that, but I guess I also hadn't really been looking for it either.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

a goon in another thread said that yale students have a chance to do something real funny and spraypaint a line through yale and write prison bus underneath and i agree with them

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You're really going to suggest that there hasn't been any uptick in antisemitic rhetoric, to speak nothing of attacks, in the preceding 6 months? I guess if you narrow the definition of antisemitism to only mean "literal nazi things" that could work...

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Grip it and rip it posted:

Do you have any examples of this? I haven't seen anything like that, but I guess I also hadn't really been looking for it either.

Well, the head of the Anti-Defamation League has gone off the deep end calling Jewish Voices for Peace an anti-Semitic organization and anti-zionist Jews not real Jews while also calling Elon the modern day Henry Ford, but somehow thinking that was a compliment.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
It's Cool and Good that apparently neither side (any of the sides?) can differentiate between Israel/Zionism and "being Jewish."

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

stealie72 posted:

It's Cool and Good that apparently neither side (any of the sides?) can differentiate between Israel/Zionism and "being Jewish."
I've not seen good evidence that the "both-sides" framing has any validity. The campus protests are multi-faith affairs, with Jewish students defending Palestinian human rights expressing their outrage at being erased in media coverage. At multiple campuses, the protest camps celebrated Passover together. The handful of allegations of anti-Semitism around Columbia have been literally around Columbia—outside actors—and those isolated incidents shouldn't reflect on the student movements. Especially not to justify sending in the National Guard to violently suppress peaceful protest.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've not seen good evidence that the "both-sides" framing has any validity. The campus protests are multi-faith affairs, with Jewish students defending Palestinian human rights expressing their outrage at being erased in media coverage. At multiple campuses, the protest camps celebrated Passover together. The handful of allegations of anti-Semitism around Columbia have been literally around Columbia—outside actors—and those isolated incidents shouldn't reflect on the student movements. Especially not to justify sending in the National Guard to violently suppress peaceful protest.
Not sure it has any real-world validity, but The Discourse, such as it is, sure seems to be all about it.

Real people in my life who are culturally but not very religiously Jewish, who have never really cared that much about Israel are surprising me with WE STAND WITH ISRAEL bullshit. The local Right-Wing/GOP Jewish community is ALL about it, and I'm surprised how much it's leaked beyond that.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

There's also a good amount of "this is obviously a Chinese / Russia OP" floating around as though Yuri's shooting mind control beams through the 5G towers.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Terrifying Effigies posted:

There's also a good amount of "this is obviously a Chinese / Russia OP" floating around as though Yuri's shooting mind control beams through the 5G towers.

i almost wish this were true because that would bring us one step closer to a world where Kane runs the show

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My Spirit Otter posted:

a goon in another thread said that yale students have a chance to do something real funny and spraypaint a line through yale and write prison bus underneath and i agree with them

Yale/Jail would be pithier.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

even easier, just spraypaint a j over the y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

12 Red states already are banning DEI programs for all schools. UT Austin and colleges across those states are firing dozens of teachers for fear of drawing the wrath of chuds who would pull millions of dollars in funding for the schools.

gently caress those pieces of dog poo poo.

live by the chud, die by the chud. gently caress them schools