Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

If you pull off an ocean’s eleven heist irl you should get to keep the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

"Let's be honest, you're not going to call the cops"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

hobbesmaster posted:

or at least advise on your movie

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Hyrax Attack! posted:

$30 million stolen in LA from a cash storage facility on Easter. Which apparently didn’t have any staff on site that day?

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-04-03/sylmar-burglary-money-storage-facility-30-million

LMAO.

Let it be Brinks, please let it be an old Dunbar Facility Brinks took over.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

GD_American posted:

or at least advise on your movie

Been there done that. You can stack more money if you do it nice and neatly. Also use the canvass bags to cover the windows so people from the outside cant see it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Arrath posted:

I've been meaning to read it for ages.

:imunfunny:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

$30 million stolen in LA from a cash storage facility on Easter. Which apparently didn’t have any staff on site that day?

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-04-03/sylmar-burglary-money-storage-facility-30-million

Heat 2 pre-production looking good.

hobbesmaster posted:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/MollieeWalkerr/status/1775663526138335369

I don't know hockey so this is my headcannon of every game but... why would everyone just throw down at the opening buzzer? Lol

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

hobbesmaster posted:

From the article:

quote:

Sunday’s incident also comes nearly two years after a multimillion-dollar theft of jewelry from a Brink’s big rig at a Grapevine truck stop.

As much as $100 million in jewels and valuables was taken from the truck.

In that case, thieves made off with the goods at 3 a.m. on July 11, 2022, stuffing more than 20 large bags with jewelry, gems and other items that the Brink’s tractor-trailer had been transporting from the International Gem and Jewelry Show in San Mateo to the L.A. area.

The heist occurred during a 27-minute window in which one driver slumbered in the vehicle’s sleeper berth and another ate a meal at the Flying J, a sprawling truck stop just off Interstate 5’s sinuous Grapevine in Lebec, Calif.

That crime remains unsolved.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Arrath posted:

https://twitter.com/MollieeWalkerr/status/1775663526138335369

I don't know hockey so this is my headcannon of every game but... why would everyone just throw down at the opening buzzer? Lol

Rempe had a target on him after cheapshotting Siegenthaler the last time these two teams played, but refusing to drop the gloves.

Dudes were lining up the scrap before the drop. In its own weird way, this poo poo is all highly choreographed.

You don't see 5 on 5s barely at all anymore.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yep, that's a good ol' fashioned grudge match on the ice right there. There was a rivalry between the Avalanche and the Red Wings in the 90s that peaked with an escalating series of brawls over the course of a single game that led to 18 fighting penalties.

The Canucks and Flames have had a few good opening line brawls over the years, but that's less on-ice related and just because us Vancouverites and those Calgarians don't get along.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Red Wings/Avs for those 3-4 years before player movement de-escalated things was the most white-hot rivalry I've ever seen in sports.

If you're not familiar, watch the E60 documentary on it. The entire story is insane.

That's Claude Lemieux, the dirtiest motherfucker in hockey, turtling like a bitch as Brendan Shanahan rains blows of justice on his bitch rear end.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

You steal that much money and manage to not kill anybody,

hobbesmaster posted:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Diversity is important. A couple of Buddhists on staff and this wouldn't have happened.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Kesper North posted:

You joke, but I forget to take my ADHD meds all the time, and it's basically the same loving thing lol lmao

Addictive my rear end, I fuckin' wish I was addicted to Adderall.

So does my wife.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If I was addicted to my Adderall you bet your rear end I wouldn't wait until I was down to one pill to start calling for refills

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GD_American posted:

Rempe had a target on him after cheapshotting Siegenthaler the last time these two teams played, but refusing to drop the gloves.

Dudes were lining up the scrap before the drop. In its own weird way, this poo poo is all highly choreographed.

You don't see 5 on 5s barely at all anymore.

Yeah it almost seemed set up which is why I asked

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

stealie72 posted:

We live in the Assholeocene. There is no bare minimum of civilized behavior to participate in society anymore. It's all just screaming and poo poo flinging.

And how!

quote:

Basye is a former Missouri state representative and failed Columbia School Board candidate who is running for the state Senate as a Republican. He’s also a sad little man who needs therapy — and to touch some grass.

Basye is running against former state Representative (and former Missouri Democratic Party chairman) Stephen Webber, who has posted screenshots of Basye’s most vile social media rants condemning his “lewd, sexual comments.”

“Basye filed at the urging of Senate Majority Leader Cindy O’Laughlin, who didn’t want to hand Democrats a seat held for 16 years by the GOP,” according to the Missouri Independent.

Instead of coming up with actual policy ideas and working to help potential voters and constituents, Basye seems content to spend his time on social media posting uncreative slurs on posts regarding his opponent and hypothesizing about whether the person on the other end of his computer screen might be gay. His Facebook cover photo is a dog’s rear end in a top hat filling in for the O in “Joe Biden.”

“Are you one of those St. Louis f*gs that aren’t happy unless everyone is unhappy?” Basye asked one commenter on Facebook. “You look like a union-controlled dipshit that can’t think for yourself unless someone tells you what to do.” (Note that the asterisks in this and all the quotes that follow are the RFT’s, not Basye’s.)

The commenter responded and asked Basye if he has considered therapy, meditation or perhaps watching the sunset.

“How about grabbing a dildo and loving yourself!” Basye responded.

“You and the f*ggot [name redacted] obviously don’t know anything about me,” Basye responded to one commenter. “But if I ever see either of you pussies in public you’ll find out.”

In a post truly becoming of a public servant, Basye responded to a woman saying:

“You must be lovin on Stephen Webber’s bullshit,” referring to his political opponent. “I first ran for office in 2014, two years after redistricting. I beat a Democrat incumbent. Stephen Webber is mad because the incumbent I beat was his boyfriend. That’s why Webber won’t let you blow him. He likes boys.”

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

From the article:

Is this implying the dude sleeping in the truck didn't even wake up?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is this implying the dude sleeping in the truck didn't even wake up?

That's what I gathered from the article. Heavy sleeper or inside job, taking all bets

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

That's what I gathered from the article. Heavy sleeper or inside job, taking all bets

Guaranteed inside job. The people working at the branch most likely getting payed like $20 a hour to coordinate shipping and would know how lazy the staff driving the trucks would be.
Sometimes I actually miss the work but then I recall how absolutely cutrate the industry has become and glad I got the gently caress out.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

GD_American posted:

If I was addicted to my Adderall you bet your rear end I wouldn't wait until I was down to one pill to start calling for refills

I have to count mine weekly and set reminders to request refills so this doesn't happen. I also have to remind myself "hey man you took your adderall 45 minutes ago, do life stuff" rather than go back to sleep in the morning sometimes.

Taking adderall and going back to sleep for an hour, a clear sign of it's dangers in my ADHD brain

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Crab Dad posted:

Guaranteed inside job. The people working at the branch most likely getting payed like $20 a hour to coordinate shipping and would know how lazy the staff driving the trucks would be.
Sometimes I actually miss the work but then I recall how absolutely cutrate the industry has become and glad I got the gently caress out.

Yeah the whole thing seems sketchy. From another article:

quote:

Brink’s heist mystery: Questions about a timeline that ‘doesn’t make any sense’

quote:

It has been more than two months since the multimillion-dollar heist of jewelry from a Brink’s big rig at a Grapevine truck stop, yet key facts about the high-profile crime remain in dispute.

There’s debate about the value of the pilfered goods, for example, with estimates ranging from less than $10 million to more than $100 million. And questions are swirling around the timeline laid out in a Brink’s legal filing and Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department documents, which suggest an almost impossibly swift journey for the tractor-trailer.

This much is known: A Brink’s big rig loaded with the wares of jewelers participating in the International Gem and Jewelry Show departed the San Mateo County Event Center on July 11 for a storage yard about 370 miles south in downtown L.A.

From there, the players in the case disagree. Brink’s said in a lawsuit that its two drivers made the roughly 298-mile, late-night trek from San Mateo to the Flying J Travel Center in Lebec in about 2 hours, 4 minutes, even fitting in a stop along Interstate 5. To traverse that distance so quickly, the vehicle would have had to drive at speeds upward of 140 mph.

quote:

The jewelry businesses later alleged in a lawsuit filed against Brink’s and other parties that the unnamed tractor-trailer drivers’ conduct was “grossly negligent” — and that “lax security” by the company allowed the theft to occur. The lawsuit for alleged breach of contract and additional claims said the jewelry companies’ merchandise was worth about $100 million. It seeks at least $200 million in restitution and damages.

The sheriff’s incident report, dated July 11, reveals new details about the heist.

Written by a deputy who arrived at the scene, the report said that the driver who dined at the Flying J found upon his return to the vehicle that its lock had been “cut away and the latches, where the lock once was, were bent. The lock was no where [sic] to be found.”

The sleeping driver noted that he “did not see who committed the burglary or hear anything unusual, or notice that they were being followed by anyone,” the report said. But, it said, the thieves left something behind: “metal fragments at the base of the trailer’s locking mechanism.”

The incident report said that the tractor-trailer’s cargo — which included gems, jewelry, watches and other precious items — was contained in “orange marked Brinks bags.” It also said that the blue 2019 Volvo big rig was “marked Brinks.” It did not note the presence of vehicle security features that jewelers and others in the industry have told The Times that they expected Brink’s to have used when shipping valuable merchandise. For example, the report does not mention an alarm on the door of the Brink’s trailer or cameras anywhere on the vehicle.

Arnold Duke, president of the International Gem and Jewelry Show, said he “always thought there was” an alarm on the door, “but certainly never checked it.”

“I was under the impression that everything had satellite tracking, cameras, alarms,” he said.

Callahan did not respond to a question about the vehicle’s security features but has previously said that Brink’s does not disclose information on the topic because it could compromise operations.

Investigators believe that the heist was carried out by sophisticated criminals, given the lack of violence and the speed of the thieves’ work, among other factors. Sheriff’s Department investigators, who are working with the FBI, have said that they have obtained video footage related to the incident.

I've wondered how that industry works when people are paid small amounts to guard extremely expensive merchandise and have a lot of time to think about security. Guessing museum have that problem too except it is far harder to convert a painting to cash than jewelry or, uh, cash.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-09-16/la-fi-brinks-jewelry-heist-timeline

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah the whole thing seems sketchy. From another article:

I've wondered how that industry works when people are paid small amounts to guard extremely expensive merchandise and have a lot of time to think about security. Guessing museum have that problem too except it is far harder to convert a painting to cash than jewelry or, uh, cash.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-09-16/la-fi-brinks-jewelry-heist-timeline

We thought about it a lot but due to the rising cost of butthole replacement surgery I opted to just day dream about it and not actually ever do it. Mostly we talked about it from like a red/blue team perspective.

The funniest one I recall was van that was delivered money to UCSJ and the driver decided to take a piss while the custodian was delivering money(completely against the rules, I’ve had drivers piss out the gunport in an emergency to not do this).
The custodian came back to no van and the driver was tied up in the bathroom.
None of it made sense since he was an older driver known for his ability to stay in the saddle all day long by pissing in Gatorade bottles. The one time he gets out this happens? lol
He ended up quitting not too long after and moved back to the old country and then disappeared.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maffew buildings posted:

I have to count mine weekly and set reminders to request refills so this doesn't happen. I also have to remind myself "hey man you took your adderall 45 minutes ago, do life stuff" rather than go back to sleep in the morning sometimes.

Taking adderall and going back to sleep for an hour, a clear sign of it's dangers in my ADHD brain

I started concerta recently and the first day I nearly went back to bed within a couple hours. I thought it was supposed to wake me up damnit

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I started concerta recently and the first day I nearly went back to bed within a couple hours. I thought it was supposed to wake me up damnit

That’s basically the firmest confirmation you have ADHD

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
lol Donnie's bond is busted

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1775916240248185320?t=Tt5YRJZ8d-gGv0DC1wyzcg&s=19

- surety company isn't licensed for the state
- surety company is letting Donnie keep the money (WHAT) instead of using it as true collateral
- surety company would be pledging over 10% of their net assets, which is against New York law
- clerk has already returned the bond filing for errors

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Lmao what a loving idiot

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Let's see old Donnie wiggle out of this one

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm pretty sure "keeping the money you put up" is explicitly not how bonds work, but what I do I know, I'm just an average person

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Kazinsal posted:

I'm pretty sure "keeping the money you put up" is explicitly not how bonds work, but what I do I know, I'm just an average person

I think you should probably read that as "holding the money in trust" as opposed to keeping it

Nm I was half asleep, I'm an idiot

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 4, 2024

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nick Soapdish posted:

Let's see old Donnie wiggle out of this one

he will, but this is really funny, just enjoy the funny of it

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1775916240248185320?t=Tt5YRJZ8d-gGv0DC1wyzcg&s=19

- surety company is letting Donnie keep the money (WHAT) instead of using it as true collateral
- surety company would be pledging over 10% of their net assets, which is against New York law

So where's the truth post along the lines of "the CROOKED judge DENIED my PERFECT bond filing. Many people say to me, Donald, we've NEVER seen such perfectly crafted paperwork. They had tears in their eyes when they looked at my forms"

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
lol. Just lol.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

facialimpediment posted:

he will, but this is really funny, just enjoy the funny of it

Trump has had no consequences to this point and there is still a chance he gets the Presidency again. I guess I'm a doomer if I don't think this is funny.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

facialimpediment posted:

He'll get another extension and then re-file. He's got unlimited chances somehow.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
i think he made a fall of the house of usher deal at this point. nothing he does will ever get him into trouble

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Crab Dad posted:

The funniest one I recall was van that was delivered money to UCSJ and the driver decided to take a piss while the custodian was delivering money(completely against the rules, I’ve had drivers piss out the gunport in an emergency to not do this).
The custodian came back to no van and the driver was tied up in the bathroom.
None of it made sense since he was an older driver known for his ability to stay in the saddle all day long by pissing in Gatorade bottles. The one time he gets out this happens? lol
He ended up quitting not too long after and moved back to the old country and then disappeared.

The saddest one has got to be the guy I read about a few years ago. Joined up, fairly new ...

And shot his coworkers, took off with the cash. I don't really remember but I wanna say it was like 60k? He was arrested shortly after.

Like what the gently caress? A guy hired specifically to help keep you safe just flat out executes you for the dumbest and most unexciting payoff, not to mention a crime he would know he's 100% gonna get caught for if he wasn't such a dumbass. Totally senseless waste, those poor folks.

e: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/travis-baumgartner-gets-40-years-without-parole-for-killing-co-workers-1.1706464

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

This seems like something that the attorney general of the state where the company is licensed might be interested in.