Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My Spirit Otter posted:

wow, shim over here making me hope for a trump presidency

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/s...41b8f7714&ei=13

quote:

In his sentencing memo Thursday, U.S. District Judge Cormac J. Carney made it clear why he was letting Tyler Laube off lightly.

It wasn’t just because of what Laube did or didn’t do – the defendant had already confessed to beating a journalist at a 2017 Southern California rally and pleaded guilty to violating riot laws as part of a white-supremacist gang.

Laube deserved a light sentence, Carney said, because prosecutors should have focused on leftist groups.

In a 22-page memo, Carney repeatedly said prosecutors have “ignored” violence committed by Antifa and instead focused on targeting people like Laube — Trump supporters and members of the far-right.

“Sentencing Mr. Laube to additional incarceration would only increase the disparity between his punishment and the lack of punishment (and prosecution) members of far-left groups who have committed the same violent conduct received,” Carney wrote. The sentence: time served, 35 days, rather than the six months prosecutors had sought.

The same day Laube received his light sentence at the federal courthouse in Santa Ana, the largest-ever prosecution of members of Antifa in American history was going to trial just 89 miles away.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Im just imagining constant hydration

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Trillion dong

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

Plenty to feel.conflicted about :
1)Death penalty versus life imprisonment.
2) Fairness and independence of the Vietnamese courts, BBC quoted one former state department expert as calling this a show trial.

As an American im not gonna throw stones about court fairness to anyone else.

With you on the first one but if one execution could normalize other billionaires doing hard time id sleep a little easier.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

goatsestretchgoals posted:

lol please stop joking

Check out the vid lol its stupid. Gas pedal held on by ???tape???.

Also Rogue One was great and if you didn’t catch the Andor prequel series you’re missing out on a great spy thriller series.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

pmchem posted:

https://x.com/colbybadhwar/status/1780586825469358588?s=46

seems bad. hopefully no injuries and quick restart

So, can't help but think of conspiracy here given the critical nature of these to the Ukraine war.

But, how often do things like this occur? Seems like it could be one of those "why are all of our warehouses burning" stories from last year when people pointed out that those were happening at the same rate they had been in any other years.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

Couldn't it also be "we spent decades spinning down capability and making an about face is hard without experienced labor"?

Absolutely.

That and "we ramped up production while using lax safety standards because middle management said to"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Mike Johnson is going to get things done and get McCarthy'd for it:
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1780934341092057530

I hope he resigns and the narrow-thin majority becomes that much smaller.

Lol he’s done

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Honestly I think the freedom caucus crazies are the ones who are done. Pretty clear the moderate, chamber of commerce and nation defense hawk republicans (what few are left) of the republican party have been fed up with them for a long time, and I think the 'likes trump in public but doesn't actually love trump' middle of the party (and it's crazy that this is now the middle instead of the insane fringe it was 8 years ago) has realized it's not winning them any votes to continue being the do-nothing congress. Maaaaaybe they've finally decided to ignore the screeching lunatics and let them yell in their corner by themselves?

Unlikely, but a man can hope.

I would love for you to be right. That said getting rid of the speaker is far far easier faster, simpler and going to play for getting votes from the base base of all of the freedom caucus folks back home. How much of their campaigns are funded by Russia should be something of interest. Other than that, they don’t care about the country only visibility and power which they get to keep if they stay in office and removing the speaker for supporting Ukraine is the easier path for them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Wrong Kid Died

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Piss

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ASAPI posted:

keep her cool

you just had to didn’t you

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'll be genuinely curious to see if this is one of the True Believers or someone who had other issues. Either way, not good.

Yeah its hard to tell what side this came from, if its even a factor at all

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Taking bets:

MAGA

or

ANTIFA

Sidebets taken as well, no odds given

Gonna go for a 3rd party, maybe pro-abortion protestor or something like that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Crypto yet again contributes to global warming

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

Solid burn, but not as good as the one already given.

Haha

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

This makes that crazy BB Thornton / John Cusak movie make a lil more sense.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

With something as critical as ATC, I think while should be working like 4 hours before a mandatory 2 hour break, but I know gently caress all.

Youd think thousands of tons of trains hauling hazmat through the middle of towns would also get that but uhh

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Shalhavet posted:

Much like Elon talking about "Kruschchev's mistake", I really doubt the phrasing of that amendment came from an American.

Yeah seems weirdly niche for a US Georgian congressperson who probably can't point at the other Georgia on a map to be going to bat for.

Where was the Elon comment from? Haven't heard that one before and wanted to laugh.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thanks

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

OddObserver posted:

Dunno about Columbia (or Yale, I guess), but some US universitys' police departments are on paper actual cops that have undergone whatever appropriate procedures that entails (except they often end up deferring to real cops for things more serious than drunken hujinks anyway).

This is the case at every US state school I have been or worked at, idk about private schools except that MIT cops were trained police.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

That's the best news of all!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Where do we give money to the new Onion?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Arc Light posted:

You might be able to find a link in an article on their website. It's kind of hidden, so I took a screenshot to point the way:

https://www.theonion.com/give-us-1-or-the-onion-disappears-forever-1851436787

Lol thanks

On the tetrahedron site on mobile there were no links :tenbux: for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Was it this thread or a different one that made the “bitcoin is contributing to global warming yet again” joke?

Edgy can be done well, but if your entire political movement has one helicopter joke, well

Yeah i think that was me. :shobon: