Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Mustang posted:

This should be a huge scandal but it's not even going to budge the needle at all.

For perspective, in 1972 it was a huge scandal that McGivern's VP pick had electroshock therapy to treat his depression.

facialimpediment posted:

Pretty much, Donnie's psychopathic in his shamelessness and it's his political superpower. Enough of a critical mass decided "eh, no big deal" in 2016 and retreated into a knowledge hole that doesn't care about or believe the scandals. It's not that it doesn't get covered, it's that those masses don't care anymore.
We live in the Assholeocene. There is no bare minimum of civilized behavior to participate in society anymore. It's all just screaming and poo poo flinging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

psydude posted:

Are you gonna start sneaking McGovern facts into every post now like my dad after every time he reads a book on some semi-obscure historical figure?
Are you my brother?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

About that - the company and that billionaire is already on a whole bunch of radars:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1775842084252959136?t=Cz9gHLXTdhVjSaMsA7DZMQ&s=19
Color me shocked that once again the only people who will associate with trump are lovely scammers.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Kesper North posted:

i wish i had the confidence of a mediocre white man
As a mediocre white man, I have no confidence in any of that coming to pass.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Clarser is going to have some scores to settle with the rest of these assholes. They've been picking on her since Pre-K.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Weird, you spend decades cultivating hatred, openly courting reactionaries and encouraging loving lunatics then you end up unable to govern. Who could possibly have foreseen this happening?
When your entire message is "the government is the problem" and you're trying to take it down from the inside you don't really bother governing that much, so you're not great at it the few times you need it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/KenCox/status/1782900522757877993?t=-Oci2N-fNucykNNspJy8CA&s=19

What's he going to do when he thinks he is falling on the sword by going to jail when he consistently bitches about the courtroom temperature as is and won't get twice daily media scrums?
As much as I wish this was "Secret Service reads the writing on the wall and prepares to have an agent outside Trump's cell in the protective custody unit" I think this is just "Secret Service is doing its job and makes sure it has a plan for any likely scenario, one of which is trump going to jail because he's currently in court."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
It's Cool and Good that apparently neither side (any of the sides?) can differentiate between Israel/Zionism and "being Jewish."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've not seen good evidence that the "both-sides" framing has any validity. The campus protests are multi-faith affairs, with Jewish students defending Palestinian human rights expressing their outrage at being erased in media coverage. At multiple campuses, the protest camps celebrated Passover together. The handful of allegations of anti-Semitism around Columbia have been literally around Columbia—outside actors—and those isolated incidents shouldn't reflect on the student movements. Especially not to justify sending in the National Guard to violently suppress peaceful protest.
Not sure it has any real-world validity, but The Discourse, such as it is, sure seems to be all about it.

Real people in my life who are culturally but not very religiously Jewish, who have never really cared that much about Israel are surprising me with WE STAND WITH ISRAEL bullshit. The local Right-Wing/GOP Jewish community is ALL about it, and I'm surprised how much it's leaked beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

The Republic ended when the attempt was made unanswered. Existential threats to societal order have to be met with decisive for e, not litigation. Everything after that, to include institutional methods to attempt to suppress the insurrection movement, are just institutional death throes. Still, things might stumble along for a generation or two if things don't fall apart right away.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one whose brain was so Clancy/Bay poisoned that I was in utter shock the insurrection wasn't machine gunned down the second they breached the capital doors.

Was watching it live and texting with my brother and we both were like "those dudes gon die the second they kick down a door." And nope.