Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kesper North posted:

But I thought we didn't have an antimemetics division

Good, the amnestics are working :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea, got a coworker from NJ that got a phone call about it from family up there.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nystral posted:

Does Peacetime mean that the up or out policy is more strictly adhered to? Like did waivers get passed around for spicy poo poo because they needed bodies for the sandboxes?

I had literal felony waivers in my basic training class (2008), and a dude literally take a drunken poo poo on the floor of the cadre bathroom at OCS (then refuse to clean it up) and still graduate.

I doubt either of these things would fly now. Hell, I have doubts that I could even get in at this point.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Elviscat posted:

I think everything underwater has to be divers, probably with umbilicals for air and heat, and yeah, imagine cutting pieces of bridge apart that could fall on you, or spring, or get tangled in your umbilicals.....

That's a rough job right there.

The guys that do the true deep-sea stuff end up with weird issues surrounding their hip bones, iirc. Mechanism was poorly understood last i looked, but thought to be something related to the weird things that happen from breathing gas under that level of pressure. It’s not what we’re breathing at the surface now, the actual-deep water mix has to be something with a lower percentage of O2 and a touch of helium added. “Trimix” is the name, my old shop could make the stuff but you had to pay like $80 per normal scuba cylinder and sign a mountain of waivers.

I got to see a little bit of the commercial gear when I was a divemaster, it was pretty wild! You’d likely have a helmet from these guys if you’re doing any of that.

https://www.kirbymorgan.com/products/helmets

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I don't have any deep insights to add but, pressure changes all chemistry and equlibrium points. Add to that how Oxygen is a bit, uh, insane, compared to other elements in most situations. And so high pressures will push unnatural amounts of it into your blood cells, turning it from performance enhancing doping into toxin. And the combined one weird trick to fight both that and the bends is to displace it with both less massive inert gasses and reduce the total amount of it in the blended air.
Naturally trimix stuff would (might?) suffocate you at sea level.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

My org had a diver a while back who had a rebreather failure at around 100ft. It started giving him pure O2 at that depth, when the normal max depth for breathing pure O2 is like 15ft. So he (accidentally) did his absolute best to sail off into the O2 exposure sunset, and there was nothing to stop him from doing exactly that.

2 things went hilariously right for him:
He clamped down on his reg instead of spitting it out
The pure O2 had absolutely crashed any nitrogen out of his system, so when his buddy lost control of him while trying to ascend him (ascending someone having a seizure sounds like about the worst thing possible), dude didn’t have any nitrogen left in him to give him any flavor of decompression illness.

Our dive safety officer said the guy was expected to make a full recovery. Root cause was determined to be a gear anomaly, not diver error. That model of Hollis rebreather has 3 O2 sensors in the loop; if one fails, the thing gives you a warning and you’re supposed to abort dive/head home. The 2 remaining sensors override the 3rd bad one, and you get to come home without trying to take your one free breath of water that everyone is entitled to.

Poor bastard had a double failure of those sensors, and the 2 bad ones overrode the still-functioning one. This was scientific diving, which gets to be its own weird subset in the diving world (broadly broken up into recreational, scientific, and commercial). The same constraints apply across all 3 types (the ocean doesn’t give a sloppy wet gently caress about what you’re doing, it’s just as mad all the same).

I’m guessing there will be every sort of survey done in the former bridge area, but a channel like that with unknown/invisible hazards sounds uniquely terrible. Dive surveys are probably dead last on the list after every kind of sonar and magnetometric survey, but I’d bet it’s still on the list.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Cave diving seems a great way to turn money into a very unique coffin

Pfft, look at Mr MoneyBags here with his fancy recovered body that didn’t become a landmark and a warning all at once :rolleyes:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Our college scuba club loaded up so many innuendos for the club shirts that the school forbade us from putting their logo on anything we made.

Highlights:

“The deeper you go, the better it feels!” Written on a dive flag

Certified to penetrate
-wreck silhouette with a card that has “WRECK DIVER” barely legible on it

Get wet and go deep!
-background: angler fish

Honorable mentions:

Pic: a diver with 2 tanks on their bank
Caption: going down on twins

Pic: a tank
Caption: turn me on and suck me dry

Pic: a smiling bubble
Caption: keep blowing me

Pic: a mask
Caption: just spit on it

Pic: a dive table with a tec diver breaking it
Caption: putting the D in NDL!

Caption only: divers do it in the water

I mean, I get it. I guess :laffo:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

E: lol

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

For a second I thought you wherr gonna suggest using nukes.

That’s the only way to be sure.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

orange juche posted:

Rogue One (a badass movie tbh)

Movie could’ve ended here and still been good, but then someone said “prepare a boarding party” and we got to see a genuine force of nature get unleashed upon some poor bastards :stwoon:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Though it’s now kinda funny how much he calmed down in the 15 minutes between rogue one and ANH.

He was mad enough to personally choke someone to death and then throw their corpse into a bulkhead, no force shenanigans involved. That one was personal :stonklol:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

this is what happens when you piss off Swifties

Yea she set her sights on them after they hosed up ticket sales to one of her concerts, and the Swifties were mad :stonklol:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That Works posted:

Crypto yet again contributes to global warming

Solid burn, but not as good as the one already given.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Same with both NC universities I attended (both part of the UNC system).

How else do you think the UNC system would hide all the actual dumb/criminal poo poo that happens on their campuses?

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Christ, letting The Onion’s writers loose is going to yield some phenomenal articles with accompanying rough chuckles.

I’m not ready :cry: