Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

$30 million stolen in LA from a cash storage facility on Easter. Which apparently didn’t have any staff on site that day?

quote:

The burglars were able to breach the building as well as the safe where the money was stored, Morales said. Law enforcement sources said the break-in was among the largest burglaries in city history when it comes to cash, and the total surpassed any armored-car heist in the city as well.

Mystery surrounds the break-in.

Sources familiar with the investigation said a burglary crew broke through the roof of the facility to gain access to the vault. But it is unclear how they avoided the alarm system.

In addition, viewing the safe from the outside, it showed no signs of a break-in. The operators of the business, whom police did not identify, did not discover the massive theft until they opened the vault on Monday.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-04-03/sylmar-burglary-money-storage-facility-30-million

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

If you pull off an ocean’s eleven heist irl you should get to keep the money.

From the article:

quote:

Sunday’s incident also comes nearly two years after a multimillion-dollar theft of jewelry from a Brink’s big rig at a Grapevine truck stop.

As much as $100 million in jewels and valuables was taken from the truck.

In that case, thieves made off with the goods at 3 a.m. on July 11, 2022, stuffing more than 20 large bags with jewelry, gems and other items that the Brink’s tractor-trailer had been transporting from the International Gem and Jewelry Show in San Mateo to the L.A. area.

The heist occurred during a 27-minute window in which one driver slumbered in the vehicle’s sleeper berth and another ate a meal at the Flying J, a sprawling truck stop just off Interstate 5’s sinuous Grapevine in Lebec, Calif.

That crime remains unsolved.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

Guaranteed inside job. The people working at the branch most likely getting payed like $20 a hour to coordinate shipping and would know how lazy the staff driving the trucks would be.
Sometimes I actually miss the work but then I recall how absolutely cutrate the industry has become and glad I got the gently caress out.

Yeah the whole thing seems sketchy. From another article:

quote:

Brink’s heist mystery: Questions about a timeline that ‘doesn’t make any sense’

quote:

It has been more than two months since the multimillion-dollar heist of jewelry from a Brink’s big rig at a Grapevine truck stop, yet key facts about the high-profile crime remain in dispute.

There’s debate about the value of the pilfered goods, for example, with estimates ranging from less than $10 million to more than $100 million. And questions are swirling around the timeline laid out in a Brink’s legal filing and Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department documents, which suggest an almost impossibly swift journey for the tractor-trailer.

This much is known: A Brink’s big rig loaded with the wares of jewelers participating in the International Gem and Jewelry Show departed the San Mateo County Event Center on July 11 for a storage yard about 370 miles south in downtown L.A.

From there, the players in the case disagree. Brink’s said in a lawsuit that its two drivers made the roughly 298-mile, late-night trek from San Mateo to the Flying J Travel Center in Lebec in about 2 hours, 4 minutes, even fitting in a stop along Interstate 5. To traverse that distance so quickly, the vehicle would have had to drive at speeds upward of 140 mph.

quote:

The jewelry businesses later alleged in a lawsuit filed against Brink’s and other parties that the unnamed tractor-trailer drivers’ conduct was “grossly negligent” — and that “lax security” by the company allowed the theft to occur. The lawsuit for alleged breach of contract and additional claims said the jewelry companies’ merchandise was worth about $100 million. It seeks at least $200 million in restitution and damages.

The sheriff’s incident report, dated July 11, reveals new details about the heist.

Written by a deputy who arrived at the scene, the report said that the driver who dined at the Flying J found upon his return to the vehicle that its lock had been “cut away and the latches, where the lock once was, were bent. The lock was no where [sic] to be found.”

The sleeping driver noted that he “did not see who committed the burglary or hear anything unusual, or notice that they were being followed by anyone,” the report said. But, it said, the thieves left something behind: “metal fragments at the base of the trailer’s locking mechanism.”

The incident report said that the tractor-trailer’s cargo — which included gems, jewelry, watches and other precious items — was contained in “orange marked Brinks bags.” It also said that the blue 2019 Volvo big rig was “marked Brinks.” It did not note the presence of vehicle security features that jewelers and others in the industry have told The Times that they expected Brink’s to have used when shipping valuable merchandise. For example, the report does not mention an alarm on the door of the Brink’s trailer or cameras anywhere on the vehicle.

Arnold Duke, president of the International Gem and Jewelry Show, said he “always thought there was” an alarm on the door, “but certainly never checked it.”

“I was under the impression that everything had satellite tracking, cameras, alarms,” he said.

Callahan did not respond to a question about the vehicle’s security features but has previously said that Brink’s does not disclose information on the topic because it could compromise operations.

Investigators believe that the heist was carried out by sophisticated criminals, given the lack of violence and the speed of the thieves’ work, among other factors. Sheriff’s Department investigators, who are working with the FBI, have said that they have obtained video footage related to the incident.

I've wondered how that industry works when people are paid small amounts to guard extremely expensive merchandise and have a lot of time to think about security. Guessing museum have that problem too except it is far harder to convert a painting to cash than jewelry or, uh, cash.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-09-16/la-fi-brinks-jewelry-heist-timeline

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

The saddest one has got to be the guy I read about a few years ago. Joined up, fairly new ...

And shot his coworkers, took off with the cash. I don't really remember but I wanna say it was like 60k? He was arrested shortly after.

Like what the gently caress? A guy hired specifically to help keep you safe just flat out executes you for the dumbest and most unexciting payoff, not to mention a crime he would know he's 100% gonna get caught for if he wasn't such a dumbass. Totally senseless waste, those poor folks.

e: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/travis-baumgartner-gets-40-years-without-parole-for-killing-co-workers-1.1706464

Dang. When I worked retail a guy came in for an interview & on his way out must have thought he did poorly as but to make the trip worthwhile grabbed an Xbox from the shelf & ran out the door. Minor flaw in his plan, he had given all his real contact info to the store so wasn’t much of a whodunnit. Also it was an empty display box. Don’t think we hired him.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Still hoping he panics when jury is deliberating in NYC & flees to Russia.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

Bush jr. was worse than Trump.

That was my position until the whole “first non-peaceful transition of power” event in the history of a nation that had a civil war.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Arrath posted:

If nothing else I hope that will decrease traffic around the pumps at actual costcos (lol good luck)

I googled and didn’t see anything about that other than one post from a radio station mentioning the source for that info was a known TikTok hoaxer so probably not happening. https://mix957gr.com/is-costco-opening-a-buc-ees-style-gas-station-in-grand-rapids/

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

The ongoing war in Europe is really looking like a case study in failing to press an advantage and letting a belligerent take all the time it needed to regroup and address its failings.

Like the invasion of Crete when after day 1 the paratroopers were disorganized but British failed to realize prioritizing guarding the airfields might be a good idea to keep reinforcements away.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

That Works posted:

Also Rogue One was great and if you didn’t catch the Andor prequel series you’re missing out on a great spy thriller series.

Oh now absolutely, I went to see it not knowing much & was thrilled to get the best space & ground battles of the franchise, with the heroic return of Y-Wings & a ground battle that is well lit with both sides allowed to be competent.

Have watched Andor twice & was glad to learn second season is progressing nicely.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Steezo posted:

Its because they dont want to get fired from their news gig by Don Ohlmeyer.

Agreed he did it, but to be fair the article is news not an editorial and he wasn’t convicted, and they did cover how he lost the civil trial. Pretty sure journalistic standards have a high bar for labeling someone as a murderer in print.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

man some of these are loving good

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1780316934052987175?t=2q0I4H8tIg55dJVbbk4AJg&s=19

incidentally, this is proving that Donnie doesn't have entirely-halfassed council, they've got the usual good social media crawlers to weed out jurors

Even if these jurors are being dismissed, wouldn’t these posts be enough to identify them? Especially as it could be combined with how they must live in a certain area & are likely between the ages of 18 and 80?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

He has the worst loving attorneys.

They have the worst loving client.

For all four cases are they wise enough to demand payment in advance?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

pseudosavior posted:

Honestly he's going through what I have thought for years should be a standard practice in this country: you start a war, your kids (or other family member) get immediately drafted. Not a commissioned position, enlisted.

Make them put some skin in the game, then see how high they wave their banners.

It was wild reading about WWII and how while I’m sure some rich kids evaded service, tons didn’t including the Kennedys and JFK’s older brother died attacking a V2 site.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Didn't he sign up for that mission because he was trying to one-up JFK for PT-109?

I dunno but I’d believe it with that family, I only recently learned one of RFK’s kids perished at the age of 39 by skiing into a tree during snow football at Aspen after having been warned by the ski patrol to knock it off.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Scroll scroll scroll Kitty Dukakis scroll scroll scroll The Simpsons and organized crime scroll scroll scroll okay this guy was nuts.

Probably not best message for our aspiring maniacs to get another reminder if they want their message sent far & wide, do something horrible. Doubt Unabomber or Richard McBeef would have been widely read otherwise.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Coasterphreak posted:

the guy who writes the schedule and works sunday in fall so you can go to "church" at 1pm

Was fun getting time & a half Sundays that kicked up to double time after 8 hours when I didn’t have much else to do.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

not caring here posted:

That sounds like the techno-necromancers from alpha centauri poo poo.

Please don't go. The Drones need you. They look up to you.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Fully fund NASA and the IRS and we'd be 300 years further down the road as a society practically in the blink of an eye.

It was interesting how the IRS spent some of their new funding to deal with the massive boxes of paper in one of the buildings that was causing the floor to be at risk of collapse.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

psydude posted:

I know people who have turned down offers of employment over fear of violating a non-compete. It has the effect of deterring people from moving companies, which translates to suppressed wages as well as limiting the spread and cross-pollination of ideas throughout an industry

Yeah an excessively ethical friend who was at a terrible place paying as little as they could get away with applied for and got a drastically better job & was worried last second that their garbage former employer might try to enact a non-compete clause as both businesses “sold things.” They of course didn’t but could understand people being worried.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Oh nice, especially bringing back the Onion News Network. Porking Across America and Raw Justice were genius. Hope they improve their archives to make it easier to read complete old issues, that used to be a great way to find great content from their golden era.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

oh hell yea, i hope we get more autistic reporter skits

Everyone go watch Lake Dredge Appraisal again: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0C7941B0228E0240&si=4qEM7REoXlGpHCFV

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

MonkeyFit posted:

They have several problems. Like their youtube team that just reads from cue cards in a monotone voice like it's a high school newscast by people that just need the class credit.

Or shifting from a unique comedy voice with a Wisconsin vibe to trying to mimic Daily Show with hot takes of daily events, not helped by compulsively ending every article with “…at press time…,” or when their columnists like Jim Anchower went away. Guessing the geniuses who wrote Our Dumb Century have been gone for a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yeah sure, fine, maybe after all of the medical research projects, vaccine clinics in underserved areas in the US and abroad, and partner programs with universities in the developing world are done. Otherwise gently caress university admins and people who exist only to make sure donors fee-fees aren’t hurt and the endowments are replenished.

I had a low opinion of my university admins as they didn’t seem to do anything. Then friends became professors and I realized how much worse it is when they’re refusing to allow minor punishments for flagrant plagiarism if the student is paying full ticket price, not processing critical benefit paperwork, or sending out multiple emails a day about how the university stands on current events when no one asked.