Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Kesper North posted:

But I thought we didn't have an antimemetics division
You need to remember to take your mnestics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

That Works posted:

As an American im not gonna throw stones about court fairness to anyone else.
You really, really can. For all the glaring and thoroughly unjust faults in our judicial system, there's a lot to be said for it compared to others.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ironically goons thinking the US has a monopoly on everything from imperial measurements to bad tourists is itself a form of American exceptionalism
Looking forward to someone coming out of the woods works to pronounce the experience of the average American enlisted in the 21st century as uniquely and unprecedentedly terrible and that it would be wrong to cast stones at some warlord for his army of child soldier slaves.

Truly, the extent to which I see people these days confusing the real flaws of something they're intimately familiar with for representing a drastic negative departure from the mean is wholly novel and spells doom for our society in particular.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

this is totally incomprehensible
Glad to see my posts are having the intended effect :hmmyes:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I really worry that Biden allowing the US to be pulled further into the conflict Israel has sparked could be the thing that loses him the election.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
It seems a real fault of the American legal system that we can't accept that, yes, a jury of the defendant's peers might genuinely, vocally hate their guts and that any exceptions are either lying or supporters who will be even less likely to judge the evidence on its merit.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Sure would be nice if the US had swatted down the Israeli strike to minimize risk of escalation the same way it did Iran's, but we can't have nice things.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

davecrazy posted:

Crypto BBQ dude died?
RIP to a fiery mad lad

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
In the last week, several major institutions in the liberal education space have carried out aggressive crackdowns against student, pro-Palestine protesters, with Columbia standing out for its ham-handedness. Citing public safety concerns and alleged incidents of antisemitism, the president of the University directed the NYPD to raid the peaceful protest encampment, suspended all arrested students, and expelled them from campus housing. Over the weekend, everyone, including faculty, was barred from campus and, today, all classes were shifted to virtual.

Will be interesting to see if things peter out or if the admin has just inflamed things further. Either way, a terrible look for these universities.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Last week, Columbia University cracked down hard on peaceful protest, putting a firm and conclusive end to students demonstrating in support of Palestine.

...or not. Mother Jones has a running list of the proliferation of campus protests across the country this week, as well as some of the ludicrously heavy-handed responses from administrators and politicians. Republicans, in particular, are demanding the National Guard put down the protests, in a transparent strategy to divide a Democratic Party already split on Israel's war crimes in Gaza. Weirdly, some ostensibly liberal Democratic Party representatives are striking the same tone instead of pushing back on what looks like a preview of the kind of anti-academic crackdowns many were expecting of a second Trump administration.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

stealie72 posted:

It's Cool and Good that apparently neither side (any of the sides?) can differentiate between Israel/Zionism and "being Jewish."
I've not seen good evidence that the "both-sides" framing has any validity. The campus protests are multi-faith affairs, with Jewish students defending Palestinian human rights expressing their outrage at being erased in media coverage. At multiple campuses, the protest camps celebrated Passover together. The handful of allegations of anti-Semitism around Columbia have been literally around Columbia—outside actors—and those isolated incidents shouldn't reflect on the student movements. Especially not to justify sending in the National Guard to violently suppress peaceful protest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
The Columbia administration has asked the NYPD to again raid the protest encampment and now occupy the campus through May 17th. The long-suffering student journalists at Columbia's WKCR radio station continue their live coverage, audibly devastated by the violence their school has inflicted and the threats made against them by officers. Admin seems to think this will achieve escalation dominance, remains to be seen how students will respond.

e: f; b