Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Kith posted:

counterpoint: gently caress everything

because everything's hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The media machine that delivered us the culture wars, Trump, and the unhinged false reality that many of his supporters inhabit may have roots going back to Reagan, but it was kicked into afterburner during the Bush years. Maybe not by Bush himself, but certainly by the GOP apparatus he was a part of.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think it’s pretty unlikely Elon ever actually read Banks; the Culture novels would give him a panic attack

I know this is from way back, but I'm reading my first Culture novel (The Player of Games) and within two, maybe three chapters I was struck by how much Elon would hate the society he is naming his ships after.

MonkeyFit posted:

Buccee's is great when you're on a road trip. But I do not understand the obsession to the point of needing 700 parking spaces.

Florida people love Texas poo poo. Only Ted Cruz fan I've ever met was a Florida Man.

The beef jerky is great though.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I will say that my appreciation of the whole clean bathrooms thing increased a thousand fold after I started traveling with a toddler. I can stand or hover, but there’s nothing like cleaning someone else's piss off the seat so that you can put the potty seat on because your three year old needs to go RIGHT NOW.

Also, changing tables in the men's room. Still not a thing in a surprising number of places!

Big K of Justice posted:

That being said, the one I'm looking forward to is Costco's planned travel centers, [named under project Oasis or something]. That should shake things up. Large costco gas stations and a costco food court with some goods for sale.

:eyepop:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ironically goons thinking the US has a monopoly on everything from imperial measurements to bad tourists is itself a form of American exceptionalism

This is Britain erasure :britain:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

No, prospective juror, I'd say that sounds about right. Own it!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dude posted a substack article before he did it:

https://theponzipapers.substack.com/p/i-have-set-myself-on-fire-outside

it's crypto/qanon poo poo.

I would have put my money on a Trump/QAnon type with an outside bet on RFK/QAnon. I was not expecting Michael Dukakis to get the martyr treatment in this one.

Good for him though. Dukakis got done dirty by Lee Atwater for the crime of being a decent if uninspiring liberal in the vein of George McGovern.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

CBJSprague24 posted:

I wondered out loud a few months ago if the antics of the hard right Representatives would finally grow old with the more reasonable or centrist ones (if they exist). Maybe this is that finally coming to pass.

I know they're still around, but recently I've heard only a bit about MTG's antics, nothing about Gaetz except the occasional news item about his sex poo poo, and so little about Boebert after the public crank yank that I almost forgot about her. Not sure if they've been told to keep their heads down or the media finally tired of their antics (not likely) but either way it was refreshing to be able to more or less pretend they didn't exist for a while.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

*0.2% of FISA requests have been rejected in about 40 years if you want to be pedantic.

That just means they're doing a really good job selecting targets. The 1 out of 500 proves it's not a rubber stamp, you see?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Promising, but where did the money come from? Without a "Ben Collins is actually the grandson of a 19th century industrialist" is this being backstopped by some PE funding that's going to look for a way to cash out?

I am assuming the money is the "my friends" in "my friends and I." Maybe it's some rich-ish folks who liked the Onion and wanted to keep it going as a pet project. Kinda like Bezos saving The Expanse.

Ben Collins is also the guy that Greg Gianforte assaulted way back a million years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Elviscat posted:

One step closer to free, government-issued Marijuana for veterans.

I think ketamine is getting a look for PTSD treatment too, right?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Look, I've seen people get turbo hosed for lying on their apps thinking they'd never get caught. I'm sure lots of people get away with it, and good for them, but I ain't willing to take that risk.

I try to avoid talking about how I "almost joined" (anywhere, but especially here), but I bailed on my Army OCS ambitions when the recruiters literally formed a circle around me and told me to fill out the SF-86 based on "who I am now" when the time came, hint hint lie about having tried pot that one time which you told us but we are pretending we didn't hear.

Nooooope, I may be dumb enough to try to become an infantry officer in 2006, but I'm not that dumb