Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

"Let's be honest, you're not going to call the cops"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

A recent example:

Musk stated that the Francis Scott Key bridge could be rebuilt within months by reusing the steel from the collapsed bridge. That was a "Tell me you know nothing about engineering without telling me you know nothing about engineering" moment. Almost every time he opines about a subject, to include things that he should specifically know about, like financial systems, electric cars, or space rockets, he consistently falls on his face except in the instances when he's been coached to give a prepared speech on the topic and sticks to the script.

That's a reasonable summation.

Sorry I just flipped my loving desk

Thats not how metal fatigue works you loving idiot

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

And also, just piping in here to say underwater inspecting is hilariously dangerous. I was once told that their velocity limits were typically 1 ft/s and the tidal area of the Patapsco is 100% not that.

e: Add in cranes, hooks, and torches? If someone doesn't get killed in this process it'll be a miracle.

e2: You can't build a cofferdam around this.

e3:

facialimpediment posted:

WTYP covered that dumbass Elon tweet at this point in their latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4q7K2rfG3w&t=4586s

General recap: 99% of that steel is now trash for many reasons, the next bridge will probably be a cable stay bridge that doesn't need that poo poo anyways, these big construction projects already get awarded with an early completion incentive bonus, and Elon's a fucknut

Can almost guarantee that the replacement will be cable stay.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 7, 2024

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

not caring here posted:

I've driven a couple of Teslas and lived to tell the tale (no cybertruck), and the impression that I get is that they are designed by people who haven't built cars before, and who don't actually like to drive.

Getting one as a rental in a couple weeks. I look forward to loading it up with sugar and handing it back to its parents like a good uncle.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

GD_American posted:

What if I qualified for both under the same period of service? Joined under MGIB, went to Iraq, chose P911GIB (there is no good acronym there) and exhausted it. (actually chose Chapter 31 halfway through too)

Yeah, this would be pretty dope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I'm confused about the rain event in Dubai. Did they just get 60mph winds from the NE?