Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

In "may you live in interesting times" news, we likely have the first footage of an exoatmospheric intercept against a ballistic missile launched in anger:

https://twitter.com/JokermanIntel/status/1779305129470242845?t=p5Hjy5zceks4bydyaW3GeA&s=19

Hooray?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

that's cause teslas are cheap plastic crap on the inside.

I had the misfortune of riding in a (brand new) Model 3 to get to the airport the other day - I've somehow gone this long never having been in any Tesla.

My $18k-brand-new 2015 Ford Focus with the lower-profile tires is all around a nicer car to inhabit. It's a smoother ride over bumps, has more cushioned seats, has less rattles and squeaks, and isn't any louder inside at highway speed. It also has door handles instead of duplicating the button to roll down the windows for the door release, which is absolutely inscrutable in the dark.

Tesla has served it's purpose getting Americans and the world to think EVs can be cool cars. Time for Musk to go and for the new leadership to pivot to Supercharger networks and battery platforms. Recall all the cars and recycle them.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

And now for something completely different.

From the "still learning the fundamentals" desk, a team from MIT has discovered the "photomolecular effect" - whereby water molecules are knocked free by the physical interaction with photons, resulting in evaporation even in the absence of heat energy.

How light can vaporize water without the need for heat

quote:

In a series of painstakingly precise experiments, a team of researchers at MIT has demonstrated that heat isn’t alone in causing water to evaporate. Light, striking the water’s surface where air and water meet, can break water molecules away and float them into the air, causing evaporation in the absence of any source of heat.

The authors say their study suggests that the effect should happen widely in nature— everywhere from clouds to fogs to the surfaces of oceans, soils, and plants — and that it could also lead to new practical applications, including in energy and clean water production. “I think this has a lot of applications,” Chen says. “We’re exploring all these different directions. And of course, it also affects the basic science, like the effects of clouds on climate, because clouds are the most uncertain aspect of climate models.”