Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

mystes posted:

That's a surprising level of not having any interest in her parents without any specific reason aside from "They did things together that I wasn't interested in. And my parents never had any time for me"

I remember we saw another story about that kind of family. A guy basically just said that his parents would always choose each other over him. They had a kid because they had to but they didn't like him very much and basically just tried to live like they did before they had a kid. The believed they had more of a duty to each other than they did to their kid. They didn't really dislike him enough to abuse him, just do the bare minimum of parenting, and then were surprised when he didn't like them as an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Crocobile posted:

If we’re reposting classics, I’m missing the title but this one is saved to my phone. It’s the sex role-play “OFFICER DOWN” one.

Another fav is the “gotta hit the drippini” one. I love the low stakes ones where one partner is excessively silly.

This is good but if he was really into it he'd know you dont have to read Miranda rights until the suspect is in custody AND being interrogated, 8/10

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

A Moose posted:

I remember we saw another story about that kind of family. A guy basically just said that his parents would always choose each other over him. They had a kid because they had to but they didn't like him very much and basically just tried to live like they did before they had a kid. The believed they had more of a duty to each other than they did to their kid. They didn't really dislike him enough to abuse him, just do the bare minimum of parenting, and then were surprised when he didn't like them as an adult.

It was something like how the love for a spouse will always be stronger than the love for a child. They would go on multiple month long vacations every year and just let the child be raised by the grandparents.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

A Moose posted:

I posted two stories like that in the previous thread.

FMguru posted:

It sucks when your kids don't get it.

FMguru posted:

Did we mess up with our son? He blew up at us during dinner + UPDATE

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

From the comments on no-food wedding:

quote:

But what did she and her husband eat and drink, if they had anything at all?

OP: Yes, they had drinks at the head table and some food

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
another goodie from the last thread
AITA for not opening a Christmas Present?

quote:

I have a mobility/pain disorder. I have rheumatoid arthritis. My fingers curl inward, I have a hard time gripping things, using zippers and buttons. I’ve had this my entire adult life so people are aware I struggle with mobility and pain.

We have a family friend from childhood (he was an adult, we were kids) who would wrap our presents in boxes filled with shredded garbage and wrapped in wire. Once you started opening the gift it made a mess and it would take hours. My mother hated it, my father thought it was hysterical and we’d usually end up getting punished for not being appreciative of the gift. As we got older he would include stuff in the boxes like dead bugs and dirt and once wrapped the whole thing in sharp wire and loose nails, resulting in one of my siblings getting cut and needing to go to urgent care on Christmas Day. This is all about 15/20 years ago. The other problem is that the gifts were usually very nice: electronics, expensive gift cards, event tickets with great seats. But it was debasing and humiliating getting them open. Any holiday or birthday involving this guy was awful.

This person kind of popped back into the periphery again and is dating one of my older cousins (still a huge age difference though). He went all out gifting this year. He wrapped everything normally except my gift. He put the box between two pieces of plywood and screwed and bolted them together, resulting in needing fine motor skills or a saw to get it apart. He poured concrete in certain spots and if you shake it, you can hear broken glass. I didn’t open the gift, despite some cajoling from some of the people who thought it was funny. Later I quietly put it in his car for him to take home.

My cousin and my aunt were furious and saying I’m being TA and ungrateful and that my hands “are fine” and that I need to let it go. They gave me the box back saying I’ll love the gift. My husband tried to open it with tools at home a few days later but couldn’t. We discussed it and threw it out, unopened. Hubs was actually really pissed.

Yesterday my cousin calls me and wanted to know how my husband and I liked the gift, I said we threw it out because we couldn’t get it open. Turns out it was a pretty pricey spa get away package for the both of us this past weekend. She lost her poo poo and demanded I pay them back. The whole thing brought back a lot of really upsetting memories from my childhood and my husband had asked that we go NC with anyone he’s involved with.

I don’t know if I’m TA here, history tells me I am. I just feel gross.

quote:

The Chris my sister went to Urgent care needing 15 stitches was the last time my parents had him over for a holiday. I went with them to the UC and the doc who saw my sister was livid with my mother when she explained it was a “prank that went too far”.

That was one of the matches that lit the powder keg on my parent’s divorce.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Pretty sure there's an old SA meme of "My parents got me Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing for Christmas. I have no hands. They know this"

mystes
May 31, 2006

A Moose posted:

Yeah I mean in this case maybe OP's family just entirely ignored her for her whole life, but usually people will post a multi-paragraph rant about how angry they are at their family when explaining that some sort of situation.

I'm just surprised at someone would just matter of factly be like, "I didn't have much interaction with my siblings or parents when I was a kid so I just don't bother talking to them now" and not indicate any particular anger at randomly encountering her father cheating on her mother.

If had gone no contact already it would be one thing, or if she decided the thing with her father was the final straw, but it's like she's saying that she just didn't care until her mother got mad at her.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 17, 2024

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Kurieg posted:

Real "This toy is broken, it won't dance when I tell it to" energy.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Irisi posted:

I wrote "You will come back stronger! You are sharklike and powerful!" on the card I sent to a work friend who was getting a prosthetic leg fitted after being in a wheelchair for some years.

Next time I saw him I asked how he was doing and he said "SHARKLIKE AND POWERFUL" in some triumph. It is clearly a motto that speaks to all of us, on a deep and primal level

It’s basically calling him a really smooth operator, since sharks are so smooth

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kurieg posted:

What the absolute gently caress

That person should be in jail and how the gently caress did they gaslight the OP into thinking they're the rear end in a top hat?!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Holy poo poo, I don't know if I ever saw that update. I guess good on their dad for putting his foot down about this bullshit.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

PetraCore posted:

I'd also request the Timothy story.

I remember the lady who went to a family cabin with her boyfriend to meet everyone only to be told there was no seat for her at the dining table and she would have to sit in the corner wearing a dunce cap.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Pretty sure there's an old SA meme of "My parents got me Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing for Christmas. I have no hands. They know this"

I had a high school friend who was pissed his mother bought him toe socks for his birthday. He had webbed feet.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
both my parents were charles manson (long story)

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

the holy poopacy posted:

Holy poo poo, I don't know if I ever saw that update. I guess good on their dad for putting his foot down about this bullshit.

You misread - the dad thought it was so funny he'd punish the kids if they weren't happy about the present

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I think my favorite is the Nicknames/"Boyfriend calls me Tony Pizza" one.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

PetraCore posted:

But yeah, plantation buildings and surroundings can be quite beautiful, because their ancestral owners built up massive wealth on the concentrated suffering of the human beings they owned and forced to labor for them. I don't think the richness or beauty of the manor can be separated from the suffering and evil that funded it, even moreso than basically any other mansion in history.

i dont neccesarily disagree but isnt this true of basically any historic monument? pyramids, ruins, palaces, its all built on suffering

basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhu4T_vwxIU

mystes
May 31, 2006

babypolis posted:

i dont neccesarily disagree but isnt this true of basically any historic monument? pyramids, ruins, palaces, its all built on suffering

basically:

IIRC it's not generally believed by historians that the pyramids were built by slaves at least

selec
Sep 6, 2003

babypolis posted:

basically:

Yeah but you don’t see too many people getting married at Andersonville. People choose to romanticize some things and ignore others. If you’re getting married on a plantation, it’s because you or the plantation owners haven’t done a good job of recognizing it as a place of misery and woe. This was another failing of reconstruction; that the geography of slavery is confined to the places the state could claim, and that they didn’t claim the sites where a lot of the misery was enacted.

A proper country would look down on someone getting married on a plantation the same way somebody getting married at a serial killer’s former home would be treated.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
AITA for wanting to finish a game of monopoly?

quote:

Me and two friends were playing a game of monopoly that took about 3-4 hours to get to the end. We all had hotels and money was going back and forth between us all; it was anyone’s game for most of it. Towards the end it was becoming clear that I was going to win, and finally one of the other players landed on my hotel. He did not have the money to pay, and according to the rules he at that point would have gone bankrupt and would have had to sell and hand over his properties. However this isn’t what happened.

Instead, both other players chose to end the game and forfeit. The reasons they chose to do this were as follows: the game was no longer fun, they were out of money and options, and that it was clear who the winner was going to be. They declared me the winner. The three of us argued for about an hour over this.

I argued that this was unfair, unsportsmanlike, and honestly seemed petty. The nature of the game monopoly is that you run out of money and options by then end. That is the intended way of losing; why would they agree to play monopoly if they weren’t prepared to lose (a 2/3 chance this case)?

Secondly, I believe they weren’t having fun specifically because they were losing, since they told me they were having fun in the beginning and middle of the game. If I were losing, I would finish the game out of mutual respect for the other players and so that the winner would get the benefits of winning (bragging rights and satisfaction of actually winning a game).

By leaving the game early, they rob the winner(me in this case) of that satisfaction. I didn’t actually win monopoly; I won by default because the other players forfeited. Leaving early in literally any other game is considered rude and unsportsmanlike, so why does this get a pass.

I think it was a selfish thing to do, even when 2/3 players were not having fun anymore. After all, most games only have one winner, and all three of us agreed to play the game.

Additionally the effort it would take to play out the last remaining rounds in minimal at most considering the game would move faster after a player is eliminated. I think it’s a common courtesy, but I’m not sure, aita?

Edit: there’s a lot of talk about the time spent playing and arguing but that is missing the point. We were all happy to spend that time playing, we were all aware of how long the game takes. It takes two to argue (3 in this case). Just because we spent a long time arguing doesn’t instantly make me the rear end in a top hat. I felt wronged and I wouldn’t have done what they did if I were in their shoes.

Edit 2: I believe there is a principal difference in winning a game by its intended way, and winning by forfeit. When you win a game by getting a checkmate or defeating all the enemies, and owning all the property, I believe the winner gets the satisfaction of a full game played and won to completion. I don’t believe this is the same as the opponent forfeiting, as they could concede for a variety of reasons.

If a player has a doctors appointment and has to leave, and they forfeit as a result, that win is far less fulfilling than an actual win. If someone forfeits just because they are upset about not winning, then they are a sore loser. If someone forfeits because they believe they will lose, even when the game has a formal process to end itself and determine the winner, then they weren’t actually interested in playing they game, they were interested in only winning - which is what I have a problem with.

Edit 3: I will not engage with replies that choose to insult me over a game of monopoly. It’s just a game guys, right?

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Alchemist posted:

Monopoly isn't supposed to be fun

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

FMguru posted:

One Weird Trick for scoring a free house for yourself. Sons in law hate it!

AITA for telling my wife that it's not ok for her and her family to decide unilaterally that we were moving to the city where they live without telling me until her family was under contract on a house for us?

"Put up 40% of the value of this house, and get no equity or ownership" - gosh what a great favor, OP should be more thankful.

Steal of the century!

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

mystes posted:

Monopoly isn't supposed to be fun

Monopoly exists to teach children a valuable lesson, that just because something has been around a long time and is ingrained in the culture, that doesn't mean it's actually good.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

idiotsavant posted:

You misread - the dad thought it was so funny he'd punish the kids if they weren't happy about the present

:lol:ing at your avatar. best one I've seen in ages.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

most people play it wrong too. Playing by the original rules makes it go much faster but people keep putting money in free parking or not auctioning off properties when they don't or can't buy them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A fun "guess where this one's going based on the title" entry:

AITA for arguing/getting upset at a zookeeper, during a private tour of the zoo?

quote:

I [37m] recently booked a private tour of the zoo for our family, including some behind-the-scenes areas, for my daughter (11f)'s birthday. It was just us and 1 other family during the behind-the-scenes tour.

Things were going well and we got to see lots of cool animals, and our daughter was happy.

Then, when we were about to get to the part where we could check out this behind-the-scenes area of the big cat exhibits (sort of a central indoor location where zookeepers could feed/house/check-up on the lions, tigers, and other big cats, and from there there were little paths for the cats to get to their various outdoor exhibits), the zookeeper guiding us apparently got a text on her phone.

She checked it, and then told us "Okay so I've been told it probably wouldn't be best to take you all in there right now, apparently 3 of the cats have just err... relieved themselves, 2 of them right up close to the interior walkway. And one sprayed a post near the entrance this afternoon. And it might not be until morning that we get a cat keeper in there to clean it up."

(This was in the late afternoon).

Everyone else seemed to sort of nod along and agree with her but I spoke up and said that's ridiculous. We came all this way and paid all this money, there's no way we should be passing up seeing the interior of the big cat care area because a couple of the cats had poo'd. Just let us go in and look around, we'll be fine.

The zookeeper sort of chuckled and said "oof you have no idea how much you don't want me to do that, I don't even think I should open the door right now for us to peek in because even out here it might start to get a bit unbearable" (meaning in the exterior corridor).

My wife was kind of nudging me to drop it and move on but I could tell my daughter was a bit disappointed not to see in there, she was looking at me. I said "come on the whole zoo smells like animals, just let us go in" Someone else on the tour chimed in and sort of interrupted and said to the keeper "If it's as bad as you say I'll trust your judgement, please don't make us smell that" and laughed, and most of the others nodded their approval.

The keeper just kept the tour moving to the next place and told me "If you really really want to, I could stay half an hour late and go back in there towards the end with just your family, maybe it would have started to dry a little by then but I really, really don't recommend it."

But we had a tight deadline to leave anyways so weren't able to take her up on that. We got through the rest of the tour over the next hour but I was sort of grumpy that we didn't get to go see the big cats behind the scenes because of something silly.

My wife was a bit upset afterwards at me and said I behaved embarrassingly to her and our daughter. But I was trying to do what was best for us and her. AITA?

tl;dr challenged and got indignant at a zookeeper who kept us out of the cathouse interior, possibly embarrassed family but I was trying to do the right thing and make daughter happy, AITA?

But I paid good money to see the tiger poo :arghfist::qq:

What also made me laugh was a zookeeper showing up in the comments confirming that, yes, the big cats do in fact create ungodly waste horrors that can make visitors vomit on a good day, even providing proof I'm too scared to click on :sweatdrop:

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

One Weird Trick for scoring a free house for yourself. Sons in law hate it!

AITA for telling my wife that it's not ok for her and her family to decide unilaterally that we were moving to the city where they live without telling me until her family was under contract on a house for us?

"Put up 40% of the value of this house, and get no equity or ownership" - gosh what a great favor, OP should be more thankful.
:sever:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Alchemist posted:

dude has a problem with forfeiting and then cites chess, people forfeit chess games on the reg

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

idiotsavant posted:

Oh, I was just going off the update where the doctor went off on the mom for downplaying it so I assumed she was the problem parent. But I can see how that would be salt on the wound if she had to get chewed out trying to cover for this bullshit.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Captain Hygiene posted:

What also made me laugh was a zookeeper showing up in the comments confirming that, yes, the big cats do in fact create ungodly waste horrors that can make visitors vomit on a good day, even providing proof I'm too scared to click on :sweatdrop:

Hell, even my small cats can do that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Runcible Cat posted:

That's true, it's been so long since I've had a pet cat that I forgot how nasty it can get around the litter box.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

I once had to leave the apartment because a cat did a poo poo so smelly in the toilet.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
AITA for "being disrespectful" and telling my parents "good luck with that" when they tried to ground me?

quote:

I live at home while going to university. I'm in my final year and I have a job lined up after I graduate.

My parents have been charging me rent since I was 16. I have a small company that makes me about $60,000 a year. I started it in high school. It is one of the reasons I graduated early from high school and why I got attention from recruiters. My parents said that since I was earning adult money I could take in adult responsibilities.

I thought that was fair. So I paid for all my own stuff starting at age 16. Not university. I got a scholarship. And the rent they charged me was minor. $300 a month.

But I basically considered my room to be completely mine after that. I kept it tidy because I like it that way. But they had no say in when I cleaned it. When I did my laundry, other than to not do it at a time when I would disturb the family for example 3 AM. I bought food for myself and I ate when I wanted.

They tried to say I was separating myself from the family but I saw it more as having my own schedule.

This year for spring break I went down to Mexico with friends. My parents were upset because they were hosting a big Easter family get together.

When I got back they said I was behaving badly by not being around for a family gathering. I said it was my last spring break in university and that I was not responsible for their schedule.

They said I was grounded and I laughed and said good luck with that. I went to my room and locked the door. They tried banging on it for my attention but I'm done.

My grandfather came over to talk to me later. He is the one ho helped me get my company started and he is always there for me. He said that I was rude to my parents when they were trying to be there for me. I asked him how much rent he charged my mom when she lived at home. He said it was ridiculous to think he would charge his kids rent. I told him that I had been paying rent for four years.

He went into the house and I herd a fight. When he came out he said that I need to treat my parents with more respect but that since they are my landlords they do not have a say over how I spend my time.

I'm avoiding my parents for now and I'm renting on Airbnb right now until I graduate. I took everything that was important to me and I left $600 for the last two months I had planned on being there.

They keep calling me but I am currently getting ready to move for my new job. I don't have the energy to deal with them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

hawowanlawow posted:

dude has a problem with forfeiting and then cites chess, people forfeit chess games on the reg

In fact it's good sportsmanship in every competitive board game I know of to resign if you see that you have no hope of winning

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pretty sure that's the outcome of this story.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Tarezax posted:

In fact it's good sportsmanship in every competitive board game I know of to resign if you see that you have no hope of winning

It's also very poor sportsmanship to be an incredibly ungraceful winner but given the multiple edits I'm guessing this guy is just generally a poor sport all round, "win" or lose

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

PetraCore posted:

Now I'm imagining a company holding a costume party at a concentration camp, then getting mad when someone dresses as a prisoner.

What I remember most about the company plantation party is a woman coming down the stairs in "period" dress, her face falling as she saw the OP, and then the most Karen-y picture ever of her pointing at him and clearly complaining to someone. Mostly because that dress was the ugliest dress you have every imagined. It looks awful and she's so happy about it.

In looking it up I also found some questions that the OP answered.

quote:

Commenter- Anything you planned for the party that you missed out on? I would have paid to see you surprise a Confederate officer. Funniest/most clever thing I've seen on Reddit yet. Well done.

OOP- That would be it. There was a super old couple, New England transplants from the south, who came with Confederate Officer uniforms, and were really proud of them. They kept talking it up, and were probably the most excited, out of everyone in attendance, about the ball. After my reveal with the chick in the dress, they avoided me like the plague (the black one) and their uniforms were never seen.

quote:

Commenter- On a scale of Canada to lost-every-shred-of-dignity, how apologetic were they?

OOP- Is "SUPER CANADA" an option?

Crocobile posted:

If we’re reposting classics, I’m missing the title but this one is saved to my phone. It’s the sex role-play “OFFICER DOWN” one.

quote:

So we've been with eachother for 6 years. Our sex life is just as good as when it started, I just wanted to try out some kinkier stuff so I suggested roleplaying. Kevin (husband) was somewhat open to the idea, but also thought it was a bit ridiculous. This is something I've always wanted to try, sort of like a fetish. So we got a few costumes, a Cop outfit and a Spy trenchcoat for him, and a nurse and cheerleader outfit for me. All of our roleplaying revolves around one person being in character, and the other interacting with them.

But he takes his roles as a joke! He goes intentionally extreme with the roles. I know he thinks it's a bit ridiculous, and I know he has more fun when he does this, but I want a real roleplay!

For example, when he dressed up as the Cop, he was supposed to do a stop and frisk, arrest me, etc, but in a sexy way. But instead, he kicks open the door, screams "HANDS UP THIS IS A RAID" and basically tackles me to the bed (this is OKAY it's NOT ABUSE we have rough dom/sub sex all the time), handcuffs me, literally reads me my Miranda Rights, leaves me there and rummages through the drawers throwing stuff everywhere, pulls out a little baggy of weed and goes apeshit like a cop might. I play a long, try to get him to 'let me go' if I can do sexual favours for him. Then we have some rough sex with handcuffs and everything. The actual sex was good but he kept speaking into his fake radio calling for backup, when I was on top he would shout OFFICER DOWN OFFICER DOWN.

With the Spy outfit he would come in and check me for wires and do the whole Pink Panther thing where he says "It is lovely weather we are having" while sneaking to the drapes and then beating the drapes up. I was envisioning a more James Bond-eqsue seduction.

Like, I like the sex, it's good, but I wanted a more porn-like experience. And it was kinda funny but not what I thought. And I KNOW that he thinks roleplay is ridiculous, and that he is trying to have fun with it but I feel like he doesn't know what I want. And I don't hate him for it, he's a big fuckin goofball in or out of our roles, but I want to have MY experience. How can I tell him this?
Oh my gosh yes! Quoting because I love re-reading it. OFFICER DOWN!

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 17, 2024

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

babypolis posted:

basically:

firstly the pyramids were specifically not built by slaves and secondly this is a cop-out response people use to get out of caring. "oh come on, EVERYTHING sucks" is lovely and carries an implied "so get over it, stop bringing it up" even when preceded by "i don't necessarily disagree"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Even if the pyramids were built by slave labor I think there would also still be a difference from visiting the pyramids, which are from a fairly distant point in history, as a historical monument and holding a corporate event at a slave plantation and telling people to dress in period appropriate costume, especially when most of the employees are white and there's only one black employee

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 17, 2024