Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish more parents would think about how the name they think is so cool or quirky or deeply meaningful to them in them in the moment will affect their kid in the future. Name based bullying can be intense.

When I was around 12 my uncle was having a kid and actually got some of the older cousins together to run some of their chosen names by us to see how kids would react. Some of the names absolutely invited bullying and lovely nicknames or rhymed with something rude. He took those names off their list.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Just to follow up on this, my family lived through almost a year of a severe roach infestation when I was a kid because my brother was a little rear end in a top hat as a teenager who would not stop hiding dishes with uneaten food on them under his bed instead of taking them back to the kitchen.

I get twitchy about food in bedrooms at all even years later. Eating in bed is an "absolutely not" thing for me. Fortunately my wife doesn't have the habit.

I had a friend like this in my teens. He hated it, but every time i came over to have a movie night or something with him I'd always start by cleaning his room. At least just removing the multi-day old plates and hidden glasses of week old chocolate milk. he'd always get huffy at first, his mom would be super thankful, and then when I was done he'd actually be participating and thanking me for doing it and vowing to start being more proactive about taking dishes upstairs himself. Depression sucks :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grace Park always reminds me of my friend's insane mid 2000's korean co-worker who claimed that "the west" only casts ugly korean actors in roles as part of a smearing and degrading campaign against the korean people. There were a few other american/canadian born actors and celebrities of korean background that he'd also rage about being so vile and ugly. How clearly "they" hand picked the most grotesque examples of korean women to present to the world. And in every case they were perfectly normal or in fact quite good looking people who just were not plastic surgeried up to to the exact and insane local korean beauty standards.

He was also a borderline incel but blamed it all on being asian, specially korean, and how he was a victim of the international smear campaign against korean people.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

so long suckers! i rev up my motorcylce and create a huge cloud of smoke. when the cloud dissipates im lying with severe ADHD on the pavement

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I bet that idiot could win her over on the concept of dogs if he introduced her to some really nice dogs. A dangerous junkyard dog is only going to further entrench someone's incorrect opinions on dogs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pope Corky the IX posted:

She told him when they met that it was a solid boundary and the decided to give it a go anyway. He's spent the last decade trying to force a dog on her to the point they had to see a marriage counselor which he then quit. He even tried to give her the one thing she said she never wants as a gift for her loving birthday.

Yeah, he took the entirely wrong approach. He should have respected that boundary and been actually ok with it never changing, but also maybe letting her interact with and meet some really lovely therapy-dog level dogs. Over time from non-forced exposure to good dogs, she MAY have softened. But trying to force it only cements it, and refusing to even entertain the idea that she may never change her opinion on dogs is just loving their marriage. Just give it up dude.

My wife HATED dogs when she moved here, but she grew up in a place with dangerous stray dogs and a lot of people who owned dogs not caring for them or training them properly because the purpose of a dog is to guard and intimidate. After spending some time with some very chill small dogs over the years she's become the driving force to perhaps get a dog of our own.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

500excf type r posted:

That's your projection tho

I hate how often people just project and make poo poo up from whole cloth from these stories, but in this case they're 100% correct. I can feel it deep in my bones.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Excited for my backyard to become a wasteland of poo poo and ankle breaking holes that I can't let the kids use anymore because the dog is very territorial.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never met a single filthy rich person who ever self identified as rich. They're just well off, upper middle class maybe. They're only worth 60 million, not billions! Musk is rich, Bezos is rich, we're just doing well for ourselves. I went to a very rich high school and I knew so many kids with parents with easy multi-million incomes and they would get so bent out of shape if you called them rich. But they didn't own the most expensive house in the entire city, so you can't say they're rich! Their 5,000 sqft hillside mansion is from the 1970's and needs some updating, it's nothing compared to that new 8,000 sqft house they built up the road last year. Now THAT person is rich!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 4, 2024

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't worry we're going to buy you a car, it will be 100% yours and you'll be totally financially responsible for it, but it will technically be in our name and you'll only be allowed to use it to drive your little brother around.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We've seen before from hundreds of posts here that there's basically two totally incompatible cultural views of respect and reputation that seem to exist in the world.

-One's respect and reputation is based on their actions and the truth. The abuser is bad because they abuse and they deserve a bad reputation. The truthful spread of this information and any harm that comes to their reputation is simply the very just and deserved consequences of their actions.

-One's respect and reputation is based on their position in the local hierarchy, be it family, business, political, you name it. Grandma is regarded as the matriarch of the whole extended family so you're actually the bad person for truthfully telling people about her racist screeds. Your older brother is the golden child, the oldest male and thus most important child, you are a vile person for letting it get out that he has 2 "minor" sexual assault convictions. Actions and truth have nothing to do anything, only maintaining hierarchy and the respect owed to those at the top.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So my friends work in like art therapy and special needs education, and there's a great local system/program that gives special needs kids art therapy and other activities. The problem is that the few boomers at the very top of the program are violently anti-video game and anti-internet. They don't understand either and think it's important that kids "focus on real things". As such, they have a strict rule that any story, picture, or art of any kind that is caught having any sort of video game or overly-internety related references are immediately trashed. They feel they need this sort of tough love to help the kids.

It's insanely stupid and for a lot of these kids they have horrible home lives and online games are their only escape and social support networks. You've got kids who's only real friends are on minecraft or other games and they've formed genuine friendships there, but these awful child-hating boomers running the program will pick up the art they drew that depicts them and their friends inside a minecraft world and throw it in the trash. For the kid's own good of course.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mystes posted:

Has whoever decided to institute that rule ever directly interacted with anyone born this millennium?

Yes, and the reason kids are so weird and socially stunted that come to their program is because of the video games and internet, she blames all current childhood problems on video game and internet. They strongly believe that. So despite it being a government funded program, the 70 year old lady who passionately started it 30 years ago still gets the rule it like an absolute dictator. The fun of the non-profit sector. Everyone's just waiting for her to die or retire so they can immediately get rid of that rule. She's apparently an otherwise very nice lady who's passionate about helping kids with special needs via art therapy, but she will die on the hill of NO VIDEO GAME ART.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You offered to take me on a date, but I'd actually like to go on a date with someone else. Can you simply move the dinner reservation to another date, still pay, and of course not show up? It's just moving the date so it won't cost you any more than you already planned to spend, stop being so controlling.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a guy in my city who lives "off grid" and doesn't use money. Local paper even did this fluff piece on what a cool off grid anti-capitalist he is and he's just so cool and down to earth for living his life purely off barter and never using money, not having a bank account, and not working a regular job.

Turns out the reason he doesn't use money is that he's a deadbeat dad who's one weird trick to avoiding child support wage garnishment is to simply never have money. He's also an outspoken holocaust denier and general alt-right piece of poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just don't understand people so spineless and easily influenced. They rarely change too. If you get them to change it's only because they've switched from instantly going along with what their mommy tells them to instantly going along with what you tell them. But it's like the muscle in their brain that lets them decide things themselves simply never developed, it's entirely atrophied. You can give them a huge pep talk about standing up to their mom/dad/spouse/boss or whatever and they seem to totally get it, but the moment they face that person they instantly fold.

I've known a couple people like that, and it's wild hearing them get all pumped up to stand up for themselves then talking to them a week later and suddenly it's "no I was wrong to stand up to them, they actually totally convinced me I was wrong" and you ask why and they can never explain it. "Well I know I went over to tell my mom she needs to stop smashing the headlights out on my car every week and you all made good points, but after talking to my mom I realize it's way too soon to be making demands like this of her. Also she's my mom and she explained she's doing it because she loves me. Anyways, I need to stop being so influenced by my friends, please don't try to turn me again my mom again"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's hard to set an exact line in the sand where a story is an "abuse story". Most all these stories involve people having the worst days of their lives, realizing their partner is absolute poo poo, suffering some level of abuse or misery at the hands of others. 90% of the times i've seen stories removed and people eating a probe it's been a pretty cut and dry example of an abuse story, but I've also seen some edge cases removed where I can totally understand the poster thinking it's the sort of thing to post here.

I don't think we're going to end up with a reddit mod situation here though, where you can never tell what criteria the moderation is using and everyone is constantly at risk of deletion or punishment.

At least folks have finally stopped posting the extremely obvious and on the nose anti-trans propaganda creative writing stories.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stay cramped bitch.

God I forgot what a good one that was.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's wild to me that plantations aren't seen in the same extremely dark and evil light as like concentration camps or SS headquarter buildings are in europe. I guess because the US never really did any sort of purging of pro-slavery culture.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had a friend from high school who had a really nice boyfriend and they were together for a solid 5 years or so into their early 20's. She was south african but never expressed any lovely ideology and she was also a total tomboy nerd who only dressed in baggy hoodies and absolutely hated anything feminine and would make comments like she'd rather die that wear pink, how she'd never wear a dress or skirt under any circumstances. In hindsight I would have assumed maybe she was NB or something.

One day she just ghosted her boyfriend and her entire friend circle, abandoned all her nerdy hobbies, and moved to a trailer park in the USA to marry a guy 10 years her senior she met online in WoW. Her long time boyfriend wasn't 100% white and one of her stated reasons for abandoning her entire life was the need to protect her family lineage and genetics and this guy she met was 100% dutch-english. She became an ultra-trad "women shouldn't be legally allowed to wear pants" racist who pumped out a bunch of pure white babies.

How the hell does that happen?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I went to a restaurant without menues once and they told me to get up and scan a QR code by the door. I don't have a QR code reader so I just left.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm never on the side of people withholding recipes, but sometimes the person asking is awful and its justified to gently caress with them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also no bar is that special, there's no establishment worth waiting more than 5-10 min to get into. Just go somewhere else if there's a big line. Clubs/bars with huge lines are rarely any good, they exist pretty much to make a certain type of person feel cool and special to be in the *exclusive* bar. Our monkey brain sees a big line and people being rejected and thinks that makes us special if we manage to get in. Inside the drinks are just more expensive, that's it. There's a loving brunch place by my house that always has a 45+ min line with huge crowds gathered out front. It used to be above average, but they earned a reputation and advertised heavily and now they coast on mediocre food and the huge line tricking people into thinking its surely the most fancy and exclusive brunch spot in town. There's way better bunch a block away for less money and no round-the-block lineup.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The_Franz posted:

The same goes for places with huge cover charges, security with metal detectors at the door, "if you aren't drinking you're outta here" policies and such. Maybe you deal with it if there's a band you really want to see or something, but if you just want to relax and have a drink, go somewhere else.

For places like that the product they're selling isn't the drinks or even the experience, its entirely the dopamine hit their brain gets for "getting into the exclusive place with the expensive cover". You could have a dumpster out back, but have a bouncer, a huge cover charge, and a big enough line and suddenly this type of person will gladly spent 45 min on a friday night waiting to get in there so they can post an instagram story about how they totally got into the most exclusive dumpster in town.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kenshin posted:

Did I miss something explicit, because there was nothing in there that gave me the impression the kid was neurodiverse, just sounded like a normal bright 11 year old

Probably the uncontrollable fidgeting, but that alone sure isn't a diagnosis.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The crazy thing is if she just said she'd like her brother to live with them for a while so he could go to a better school, husband probably could have been convinced.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man, the snobby girlfriend who took back a compliment towards a designer bag when she found out it was thrifted. That's just an insane mentality, where designer clothing isn't intrinsically fancy or nice because the item itself is, but instead because of the full retail cost being class signifier.

I know a plumber who is also like the best dressed dude I've ever met. Not only does he have the nicest clothes, he knows HOW to dress. But, he never buys anything new, he's like a level 99 thrifter. He actually had a woman walk out on a date with him when she found out the upscale clothing he was wearing which would retail probably for close to $2k was actually carefully acquired 2nd hand or weird sales for like $200. Said he was misrepresenting himself and used language like she was accusing him of being a predator and trying to gaslight women into thinking he's rich when he isn't. She knew he was a plumber, so it wasn't like she thought he was rich. To her it was like a "stolen valour" thing.

For some people the attraction of clothing or accessories isn't objectively how they look, it's literally just about how much that costs and what that signals.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God we've had so many parents-charing-their-kid-rent stories that so often go like:

Child, you're an adult now and if you're going to keep living with us we're going to charge you market rent! But you won't have any tenant rights and we'll still treat you like a child and make you do unpaid chores. Take it or leave it!!

What?! You're moving out?!?! We can't afford the mortgage without your rent!!!!! How dare you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pleads posted:

The parents taking OP out to The Keg for the apology dinner is such a loving funny little touch.

I laughed out loud at that part. There's just something intrinsically funny about The Keg.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

titty_baby_ posted:

whenever I read these stories i always think of what amount of $ would make OP the rear end in a top hat

Sometimes we get stories like this where one person in a family gets some inheritance or is described as rich, but won't even help their spouse out financially let alone helping the extended family in any way. But I always assume its someone who just had like 5 million land in their lap and is so greedy they refuse to help pay off their wife's student loans or help their little niece with college.

But the reality which comes out in the comments usually is that the "rich" person got like a 100k inheritance and the moment word got out the entire extended family has been hounding them relentlessly for handouts that they don't even really need. And they reason they want to hold onto the money is to simply pay down their own debts and maybe have a tiny bit left over for a rainy day. Or like the "very rich" person who's expected to pay the $1000 bill for the monthly extended-family dinners only makes 70k a year compared to the 40-50k a year average for the rest of the family.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't think I've ever had a "skid mark" in my life. Do people just not know how to wipe? They do a couple swipes, see they're still scraping peanutbutter down and there and just give up? I mean, after reading this thread for years I know the answer, but I don't want it to be true.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mx. posted:

AITBF my coworker is faking a British accent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzj1JgEnaRc

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

blackguard is pronounced not black-guard? What the gently caress. Next you'll tell me cockburn isn't pronounced how it's written.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have a pond and there's an island in the pond and we call it "Bee island" because every year all the neighbourhood bees decide that its the best place to get water. All spring and summer there will be 15-20 bees on this one mossy rock. They'll even let me pet them. It's fun to just hang out with the fish and the bees and pet everyone and splash the mossy rock with water to keep it moist for the bees. A few of my neighbours have bee hives in their yard, sometimes front yard. Very weird to consider this abnormal or some aesthetic crime.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 5, 2024

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why the gently caress did the brother still marry this piece of poo poo? He seems very reasonable in the whole saga, never defending his wife and fully understanding how insane she is. But he still married her?!? Zero pete energy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Desert Bus posted:

It's amazing to me how people will refuse to go NC with awful people cause "family!"

I haven't talked to my father in something like 10 years and that was the best mental health improving decision I've ever made. Just cause we share genetics don't mean I'm OK with being randomly abused.

Your real family is the one you make. Assemble it piece by piece with people who love and respect you.

Yeah in a lot of cultures and families, they're taught that family is everything. You're not even fully an individual, you're just a cell in the family-body organism and without being apart of that greater whole, you have about as much value and place in society as a discarded skin cell. Those types of people just can't imagine not being part of a big extended bloody-family unit, no matter how toxic or abusive that relationship is. So they stay, they never go NC to protect themselves, and they eternally make rationalizations and justify remaining in these miserable relationships.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had a co worker named Mike. It was actually on his gov I'd that his name was Mike. A random boomer manager who should have retired years ago came in and refused to call him anything but Michael because Mike was too informal but calling him Mr. So and so was not appropriate for a subordinate. We of course had to all call her Mrs. Such and such because of respect and hierarchy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The ages on that love triangle are insane, they should all be like 18 tops for that level of high school dating drama.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sadly I've met some really chuddy cop-loving fire fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Family deals like that with the long term promise of some big inheritance or a house coming at the end can turn ugly fast. I had a co-worker years ago who's wealthy boomer parents owned a couple investment condos. The deal was that him and his girlfriend could live in the condo and pay full market rent AND fix the place up over a few years, the condo would then be flipped for a tidy profit with the parents saying he'd get 100% of the profits. So he ran the math and paying market rent for 3 years, splitting costs for renovations, and then flipping the condo meant he'd come out around 50-80k ahead given the market conditions at the time.

Well, 2 years go by and they've put a ton of work into the condo but there's still some left to do. They've been going really slow because they live there and can't just gut the whole thing at once but are nearly there. Dad then starts acting really weird about how slow they're going, acting like he's super angry and stressed out about making the 3 year deadline. This comes out of nowhere and they've been fully on track the whole time. Suddenly it all makes sense when he says that he's going to include my co-workers fail-sister in the mix. Suddenly she'll be moving in to the 2nd bedroom, will pay 1/4 of the rent (not 1/3 for being 1 out of 3 people, or 1/2 for taking 1 of 2 bedrooms, just 1/4 for no reason) because dad says they "need more manpower to get the renovation on track" and "We need to include your sister in this as it's a family operation"

By the time they sell the condo the dad announces he's selling the condo... to the sister. For like half market value. She just loves living there so much and she's had a hard last few years and needs the family help. This of course means there's no profits to distribute. Thank you for the free labour, 68k in rent, and about 20k in renovation costs. Nothing was in writing, it was all just verbal deals between family. Guy got absolutely hosed. But dad kept dangling "don't worry, I'll take this all into account in my will" in front of him.

Oh I forgot the guy's fiance broke up with him shortly after all this.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 9, 2024