Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Doublecheck that the life insurance is up to date, this is the kind of problem that solves itself :homebrew:

He is going to die of scurvy due to lack of Vitamin C. A man living in the USA in the 21st century is actually going to die of scurvy, astonishing, just astonishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

"My teeth with regrow! I am sharklike and powerful!" was a thread title for a while.

I wrote "You will come back stronger! You are sharklike and powerful!" on the card I sent to a work friend who was getting a prosthetic leg fitted after being in a wheelchair for some years.

Next time I saw him I asked how he was doing and he said "SHARKLIKE AND POWERFUL" in some triumph. It is clearly a motto that speaks to all of us, on a deep and primal level

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Scathach posted:

Okay doesn't gestational diabetes sometimes last beyond pregnancy or even become permanent diabetes? Because that seems like a factor too, it may not just be like "don't eat this for nine months" but instead, "don't eat this forever." Dude needs more therapy and so does she, or their lives are gonna implode.

Around half of women in the USA who have gestational diabetes will develop Type 2 diabetes later in life, especially if the woman does not attempt to mitigate her other avoidable risk factors, such as being overweight, or having a high-sugar, low fibre diet.

If you have gestational diabetes they will check to make sure it's gone at around the 2 month post-partum point, and then recommend you get checked out for Type 2 every year afterwards.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

idiotsavant posted:

I feel like there’s a pretty likely chance of people dancing at most concerts that aren’t chamber music or something; if dancing in the seats makes someone mad then they should probably just stay away from live music.

Frankly, not even chamber music, things get really riotous at the Last Night of the Proms at the Albert Hall, there were folk there basically pogoing to Verdi when I was there last year.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

greazeball posted:

1. Separate whites, colours and synthetic/delicates
2. Put loads of separated laundry INSIDE the machine until it's full or you're out of clothes
3. TRICKY (requires reading!): Put the appropriate amount of detergent in the load
4. Use a warm cycle for the whites/colours and a cold cycle for the synthetics/delicates
5. Press the START button
6. Take the laundry out and put it in the dryer
7. Turn the loving dryer on and wait, jfc it's not complicated

Had my cousin (34 years old, 34 years old) to stay with us last week. I was making dinner for us all, saw it started raining and asked him to take in the mostly-dry washing from the line outside. He looked me dead in the eye and said "I don't know how to do that, sorry" and went back to watching the snooker.

He was subsequently surprised by the fact his eight year old nephew took him by the hand, led him outside and showed him how to unpin a peg from a sheet, all the while instructing him in the kindly but slightly infantilising manner a care home worker might help an old man with memory loss who had forgotten how forks work.

The rest of the weekend was spent saying things like "This is hand soap, Uncle John, you use it to make bubbles, make sure you dont drink it!" and "This knife might be too sharp for you, Uncle John, I'll just cut your steak up for you". He seemed to get the message while he was with us, but it won't last once he goes back to his mums house.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

AceClown posted:

do you have this in the US?

My granddad used to eat this with corned beef, onions and Smash instant mashed potato.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the British palate did not really recover from the severe rationing of World War II until about 2004.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mx. posted:

people from the UK need to form opinions on important things instead, like the acceptability of knock-off colin caterpillars

The Co-Op one is very good, Aldi and Tesco both pretty good, the ASDA one is dry and nasty. But quite frankly, if you're going to buy a birthday cake in the shape of a caterpillar (the only acceptable shape for a birthday cake, to be honest), just buy the original Colin and avoid disappointment and ridicule.

Next question is: why can no other supermarket accurately replicate the deliciousness and texture of M&S Percy Pigs? We have come to blows in our family when Granddad ate a full packet of the M&S versions and tried to fob the 8 year old off with a packet of Sainsburys' gummy foam sweets, and could not understand why this was entirely unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Figures I'm finding for the UK say he's below the median for household income. He beats the median individual income.

But context matters. I'd assume his income doesn't let you live anywhere that isn't rat-infested in the heart of London, but is probably a comfortable amount if he's somewhere more rural.

£25K anywhere in the UK these days isn't much to shout about, given the cost of rent/petrol/food. Unless he is very lucky and has a landlord that hasn't increased his rent since pre-Covid, he'll be paying about 40% of his salary for a room in a house share if he's in a city.

Rent up here in Glasgow and its' outlying towns (many of which had been traditionally very cheap places to rent or buy) have almost doubled since 2010, while wages have stagnated, and that pattern has repeated all over the UK. They are building like crazy, but it is either cramped studio-flat complexes exclusively marketed to students in the city centres, or giant 5-bed new builds on the rural outskirts that start at £400,000.

Either way, if you're on £25K as a full time worker, you ain't getting either of them. Housing in the UK is hosed.