Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

2 cool whipTM posts so close together? seems like cool whip hired a young hwip advertiser

FTFY

I'm confused b/c Cool-Whip is usually sold frozen. On the occasions I've bought it at the last minute, I've always ended up realizing that I have a frozen block of artificial food product and have no time to thaw it, and abandoned whatever I was going to do with it in favor of plan B. Then I find some other upcoming occasion to make whatever I was going to use the Cool-Whip for. This periodically results in me emailing friends asking for help eating dessert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
If some had asked me to pick up some Cool Whip before I read this discussion I'm not sure what I would have gotten. Could have been aything from canned whipped cream to Miracle Whip, maybe even some mayonaise since I wasn't sure what Miracle Whip was either.

I certainly wouldn't have thought there was any special enough about the branded tub of imitation whipped cream to warrant hunting it down specifically.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

This exchange has lived rent-free in my mind since the movie released. RIP Robert Stack.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

People really are precious about their brand name food items, aren't they?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

mystes posted:

Oreos are a knockoff of hydrox and I personally think that oreos actually taste worse than most store brand copies

All Cookies Are Bad

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Gonna start a food brand called "gas station" so people blow up relationships over genuine gas station hotdogs

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

People who make a big deal about Name Brand cool whip vs store brand are probably super self conscious about class. Like they know they're not wealthy, but at least they have Standards, unlike the trash that buy store brand stuff! The rungs at the bottom of the ladder are so very close together, so the people there are VERY careful about them. You don't shop here, that's for Poors. You spend a little more and go a little further away because its more expensive and sometimes they have sales.

By bringing store brand cool whip, he might as well have brought a case of lovely light beer and a stripper to the gathering! Some people have no class at all!

Acid Vat. (but a name brand one at least)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

Gonna start a food brand called "gas station" so people blow up relationships over genuine gas station hotdogs
Gas Lighter(TM) Brand Premium Budget Low Fat Hotdogs

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It's simple. If someone asks you to bring an item and they refer to that item by name, you bring that name brand item.

If someone says "Bring Cool Whip." You bring Cool Whip (TM). If they say "Bring whipped cream" then you can go hog wild with whatever. Never assume that store brands are okay. If they say "Bring Cool Whip" and you want to bring a store brand instead - ask!

If someone says "bring cookies" - then any cookies will be fine. If they say "Bring Oreos" and you bring Hydrox, then you're an rear end in a top hat.

If they say "Bring Coke" then you bring Coke. You don't bring Pepsi.

It doesn't matter what you would by yourself if you were hosting or just for yourself personally. They asked you to bring something specific. You bring the specific item.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

It's simple. If someone asks you to bring an item and they refer to that item by name, you bring that name brand item.

If someone says "Bring Cool Whip." You bring Cool Whip (TM). If they say "Bring whipped cream" then you can go hog wild with whatever. Never assume that store brands are okay. If they say "Bring Cool Whip" and you want to bring a store brand instead - ask!

If someone says "bring cookies" - then any cookies will be fine. If they say "Bring Oreos" and you bring Hydrox, then you're an rear end in a top hat.

It doesn't matter what you would by yourself if you were hosting or just for yourself personally. They asked you to bring something specific. You bring the specific item.
Their supermarket was out of Cool Whip. Maybe it would have been better to double check but if someone shows up and is like "sorry my supermarket was out of Cool Whip so I got the generic, is that ok?" and it's not like a situation where the generic has an ingredient that someone's allergic to or something where the brand name version wouldn't have, I think it's a bit unreasonable to get that angry at them.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Lmao. It's cool to have an insane person in the thread though.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

A Moose posted:

People who make a big deal about Name Brand cool whip vs store brand are probably super self conscious about class. Like they know they're not wealthy, but at least they have Standards, unlike the trash that buy store brand stuff! The rungs at the bottom of the ladder are so very close together, so the people there are VERY careful about them. You don't shop here, that's for Poors. You spend a little more and go a little further away because its more expensive and sometimes they have sales.

By bringing store brand cool whip, he might as well have brought a case of lovely light beer and a stripper to the gathering! Some people have no class at all!

Acid Vat. (but a name brand one at least)

This is exactly correct and all the folks saying "he should have gone to another store for the name brand Cool-Whip" are telling on themselves super hard right now.

Trying to imagine someone getting mad at me for bringing them a random brand of tissues when they said hey can you pick up some "Kleenex" :v:

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 10, 2024

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
AITA For suggesting bridesmaid get a part-time job

quote:

I (32F) am getting married this fall about 3000 miles away in our hometown. Most of the people in our wedding still live there but a few bridesmaids live locally. One of them (27F), we'll call her Erica, is unemployed. She finished her MA 3 years ago but hasn't worked for the last two years. She had a job when she said yes to being in the wedding, but lost it a few months later, and told me she would not be able to fly over all three times for the celebrations, (dress fitting, bach party, wedding) and would only be able to fly over for the wedding.

I said that was fine and decided to move the bach weekend to an area a few hours from us and have the rest of my bridesmaids fly in for that since they won't have to travel for the wedding. I mentioned that since they were flying in, she and the other two local bridesmaids would be responsible for more expenses to even it out. Erica told me that she was happy to be able to come to the bach party now but that her situation hasn't changed and she is still on a tight budget. She moved back in with her grandparents and has no expenses.

I don't understand why she can't do something to make money during the day if the wedding expenses are such a burden to her. When I mentioned it to her she looked shocked and got super embarrassed. She told me that she doesn't have time during the day to work because she's working on an art thing for show coming up but that's not until after my wedding. She even got to the point of tearing up and telling me how little is in her bank account, which I thought was pretty weird and manipulative. How would you handle this? Am I being a bridezilla or how would you explain to her that these are the bare minimum duties as a bridesmaid?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
i had no idea so many adults weren't aware of the tantalizing bucket of cool whip that, upon eating, tastes like sugary oil

there was always a middle-aged woman hovering over it who would be like 'haha i'm so bad sometimes i eat the cool whip by itself'

Kenshin posted:

This is exactly correct and all the folks saying "he should have gone to another store for the name brand Cool-Whip" are telling on themselves super hard right now.

wait, is there store-brand cool whip? i thought the issue was that the person got whipped cream, which is entirely another product. So this isn't store brand cola vs Coke, this is if you asked for Coke and someone brought flavored seltzer water.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 10, 2024

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

mystes posted:

Their supermarket was out of Cool Whip. Maybe it would have been better to double check but if someone shows up and is like "sorry my supermarket was out of Cool Whip so I got the generic, is that ok?" and it's not like a situation where the generic has an ingredient that someone's allergic to or something where the brand name version wouldn't have, I think it's a bit unreasonable to get that angry at them.

It's just an annoying ESH situation all around. Guy waited until last minute in a dumb way and made a substitution without checking. It'd be better if MIL wasn't uptight about not getting the name brand thing she wanted, but understandable in a "I just asked for one thing" kind of way when you're putting in the work to have people over. She vented in an overly harsh manner that wasn't intended for OP's ears and it's unfortunate he heard it. I don't think a lecture about classism is going to change her opinion about just wanting to have the thing she's comfortable with.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Tell her you love her and you don't expect her to be a bridesmaid if she can't afford to and you can't afford to cover it for her

It's really shouldn't be that complicated you can't force people to have money they don't have if you don't want to give it to them yourself

downout
Jul 6, 2009

kdrudy posted:

Nah, he was fine, family are the weird ones.

OP should have snuck into the kitchen and switched the contents of the containers and then dropped that bomb while the weird family was eating because there's 100% chance they would have no idea because generics and name brands are often so identical they are made by the same manufacturer. What a bunch of weird ones indeed.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Mordiceius posted:

True. A guy asked me to pass him the kleenex, and I handed him a box of Royale tissues.

He hosed my wife.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Steve Vader posted:

Miracle Whip calls itself "salad dressing" so it's not technically trying to be mayo. It was the only mayo we had growing up though.

My wife, from the South, has decreed that it sucks and Dukes is the only acceptable mayo. It definitely tastes better.
Hellman's has sugar, Duke's does not. I don't care about sugar for health reasons; I don't like the taste of it in mayo. Whip a tiny bit of olive oil into Duke's, and it is nearly as good as homemade. We wind up mail-ordering it now.

https://lowsugarsnax.com/the-best-sugar-free-mayonnaise/

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

house of the dad posted:

It's just an annoying ESH situation all around. Guy waited until last minute in a dumb way and made a substitution without checking. It'd be better if MIL wasn't uptight about not getting the name brand thing she wanted, but understandable in a "I just asked for one thing" kind of way when you're putting in the work to have people over. She vented in an overly harsh manner that wasn't intended for OP's ears and it's unfortunate he heard it. I don't think a lecture about classism is going to change her opinion about just wanting to have the thing she's comfortable with.

jfc I am so glad my friends and family are normal

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

also I read those with fragmaster voice in my head

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Here's the thing. Some store brands are as good as the real thing, some even made in the same factory. Some of them use lesser-quality ingredients. I've had store-brand kleenex that sanded off my nose, and now I have to wear a (brand-name, of course) rubber prosthetic. Store-brand canned tomatoes are definitely worse than either Hunt's or Muir Glen.

It's good to know which things you can taste the difference between and which you can't. It's possible that OP's relative has cooked with both Cool Whip and the store brand and thinks the brand-name is better. It's possible she's just a slave to advertising. But the straightforward thing to do is to call. "Hey, I can't find Cool Whip/Pepsi/buffalo milk mozzarella, is it okay if I substitute?"

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

house of the dad posted:

As I said before, anyone who feels this way about brand name cool whip is not worth having in your life at all.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Cool Whip really is not whipped cream, it's its own thing, and that thing does not have a reasonable generic term in vernacular vocabulary. the store brand "cool whip" would still be and is called "cool whip" by everyone i know, because what else could you possibly call it? "please pick up a tub of frozen whipped-style non-dairy dessert" - something a human being would totally say. if you want brand name cool whip you gotta say "brand name cool whip"

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Oreo couple is dumb. A container of Oreos is less than five bucks, and if the wife is eating them as an occasional treat that package will last a couple weeks. They can afford it, husband is the rear end in a top hat.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Getting that angry and publicly passive aggressive over a guest bringing generic Cool Whip instead of name brand is a far greater social infraction than the guest bringing generic Cool Whip. My final ruling is that the OP, while he did make a mistake and should try a bit harder in the future, is NTA. The MIL is using up all of the rear end in a top hat energy for herself, so there’s not even enough left for the OP to make it an ESH situation.

Some people here have obviously never read Miss Manners. She wasn’t right about everything, but she was spot on about how it’s actually ruder for a host to point out a guest’s faux pas or gauche behavior than it is for the guest to act in that way.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for making my parents replace my "toys" they decided to give away.

quote:

I'm moving to another city for work. Since I'm an adult and not a college kid I hired movers.

My parents insisted on coming down to help me pack up. I live in their basement suite. It was cheap and they let me have my privacy. They brought my brother and my nephew. The four of them were as helpful as a bag of used horse condoms. Especially my nephew.

My parents decided to keep him busy by giving him one of my Lego sets to play with. I collect them. What I usually do is buy two of the same one. I build one, put it up for display and leave the other one in the box to trade or sell.

He took it upstairs to stay out of the way then he took it home. All I noticed is that he was out from under foot.

The next day I saw the box on the garbage. I didn't assume. I knew the answer already but I didn't assume. I went upstairs to talk to them. I asked where the Lego box came from. They said they gave it to Travis to keep him busy. I told them that they needed to replace it. They said I was being childish for caring so much about a toy. I said they could replace it or I would file an insurance claim and that would probably require a police report.

My dad got angry. He pulled out $70 and told me I was an rear end in a top hat for making a fuss over a toy. I asked him if that was a down payment? He said that is what he spent on the last Lego gift he got me for Christmas and that is what those helmets cost.

I showed him the box. I told him to keep his money. He just had to give me a sealed box like the one he stole.

He said he didn't steal anything. He took the box and went to the Lego store nearby.

When he came back he was apologetic. He said he would get it back from my nephew. I said I wanted a sealed box with the Tie Fighter helmet. I even went on eBay to help him find one cheaper than he had found by himself at the collectibles store the guy at the Lego store sent him to. With shipping it would only be $300. He ordered it. He isn't happy about it.

My mom is upset that I'm expecting that much money for a toy. My dad is upset that I didn't explain before he went and made a fool of himself at the store. I'm upset that they stole from me.

AITA?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Here's the thing. Some store brands are as good as the real thing, some even made in the same factory. Some of them use lesser-quality ingredients. I've had store-brand kleenex that sanded off my nose, and now I have to wear a (brand-name, of course) rubber prosthetic. Store-brand canned tomatoes are definitely worse than either Hunt's or Muir Glen.

It's good to know which things you can taste the difference between and which you can't. It's possible that OP's relative has cooked with both Cool Whip and the store brand and thinks the brand-name is better. It's possible she's just a slave to advertising. But the straightforward thing to do is to call. "Hey, I can't find Cool Whip/Pepsi/buffalo milk mozzarella, is it okay if I substitute?"

But have you tried great value? https://thegreatevaluation.tumblr.com/post/3020945456/cool-whip-vs-great-value

in conclusion

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Using lovely fake whipped cream in the first place is the faux pas. Store brand husband is innocent.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kurieg posted:

AITA for making my parents replace my "toys" they decided to give away.
Good strong spine on OP. "As helpful as a bag of used horse condoms" is a solid burn. LOL @ dad making a fool of himself trying to buy an out-of-stock replacement at the Lego Store.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

FMguru posted:

Good strong spine on OP. "As helpful as a bag of used horse condoms" is a solid burn. LOL @ dad making a fool of himself trying to buy an out-of-stock replacement at the Lego Store.

Its a lego set Son, how many bananas could it cost!?

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

house of the dad posted:

It's just an annoying ESH situation all around. Guy waited until last minute in a dumb way

How far in advance is it necessary to plan for “pick up Cool Whip?” He didn’t arrive with a sheet cake instead of the custom birthday cake he was assigned.

If there are truly no substitutes for this brand, it’s on the host to clarify that. Not the person running an errand for her.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

do you have this in the US?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

mystes posted:

Their supermarket was out of Cool Whip.

He also specifically waited until the day of and tried to grab it 20 minutes before heading over there. Yeah, I feel like girlfriend's mom overreacted. But also from her POV, it could be the situation where she had spent a lot of time prepping items for this get together and daughters boyfriend who asked to help was given a single item to bring and he didn't even bring what he was asked.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

AceClown posted:

do you have this in the US?

My granddad used to eat this with corned beef, onions and Smash instant mashed potato.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the British palate did not really recover from the severe rationing of World War II until about 2004.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

wizardofloneliness posted:

Getting that angry and publicly passive aggressive over a guest bringing generic Cool Whip instead of name brand is a far greater social infraction than the guest bringing generic Cool Whip. My final ruling is that the OP, while he did make a mistake and should try a bit harder in the future, is NTA. The MIL is using up all of the rear end in a top hat energy for herself, so there’s not even enough left for the OP to make it an ESH situation.

Some people here have obviously never read Miss Manners. She wasn’t right about everything, but she was spot on about how it’s actually ruder for a host to point out a guest’s faux pas or gauche behavior than it is for the guest to act in that way.
lol and you know the mom in question would claim he's not a guest because he's her daughters boyfriend and therefore she is actually allowed to treat him rudely

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
You should've known. I asked for Cool Whip. And what did you bring me? Generic brand sludge!

*dips bull whip in liquid nitrogen*

Now you will know the true meaning of the Cool Whip!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DeeplyConcerned posted:

You should've known. I asked for Cool Whip. And what did you bring me? Generic brand sludge!

*dips bull whip in liquid nitrogen*

Now you will know the true meaning of the Cool Whip!

Please stop sharing your slashfic.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arsenic Lupin posted:

no, that's impossible. the generic is always exactly the same as the name brand, and any perceived difference is purely a result of advertising's corrosive effect on the mind. your continued insistence to the contrary is counter-revolutionary,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mord are you the gf's mom or something? This is an insane position to take.