Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ex-friend 34F asked me 35M about our relationship over 10 years ago. How to respond?

Update: Ex-friend 34F asked me 35M about our relationship over 10 years ago. How to respond?

lol, it rhymes

mystes posted:

I think Astraea is pretty decent for an unusual name?

Yeah, it's a classical mythology name (among other things) but it sounds pretty and isn't one of the more common bonery ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Call Your Grandma posted:

Yeah I think the best approach is to just let people do their thing and zap em when they act inappropriately.

Anyway here's some content:

I [23f] created a 1:1 scale puppet version of my boyfriend [22m] and showed it to him during foreplay as a joke. Now he hasn’t texted me in 12 hours and I’m starting to get worried. How do I get him to text me back?

you're two days late, we celebrated the resurrection of our lord and savior on Sunday

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I don't think it's that hard to get some people who you start chatting with interested enough to go on a date a date if you are not concerned with showing your real personality, don't mind lying, and study up on stuff that probably works. I'd also like to know what they use for training data, but it doesn't surprise me that an AI who has no real personality, no problem with lying, and a database of fairly flirty stuff that worked on some people can generate a few lines of text that pique someone's interest. I think most women on dating sites who will go on a date in a reasonable timeframe (as opposed to endlessly chatting or looking to collect messages for an ego boost) are really looking for 'sounds not boring and not red-flagged, I'll figure out the rest in person', so what an AI is good at generating should be good for that.

I assume the bot is mostly just a numbers thing, it can message a lot more women without needing to spend extra time.

But also yes, people who are serious about online dating generally are more interested in getting to know someone over coffee or drinks than building an online romance via chat, so the AI doesn't really need any elaborate seduction abilities.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

If it's like the one I linked it seems like it doesn't have direct integration with any dating apps and you have to manually copy in the messages you receive to get it to generate responses so it doesn't seem like it goes off and spams people on its own

lol, that's pretty bad then! I assumed the bot was at least doing the legwork for him since manually feeding messages into a chatbot seems so much worse than just typing up a couple messages worth of small talk, but I guess I was giving him too much credit

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for accidentally doing my friend’s roommate’s laundry?

[Jeff Foxworthy voice] If you steal multiple peoples' clothes for the weekend rather than spend half a second clarifying the situation....you might be a redditor

I accidentally deliberately took someone else's laundry on purpose

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

yta what was the point in putting up the notice, all you're doing is antagonising your neighbours. just saying no in person to anyone who asked would have been fine, could have said "sorry we're full" or whatever. explicitly making it about people in her building was a really dumb move and she's just put herself even further down everyone's poo poo-list

Yeah, I think people with kids are probably acquainted with how hard it is to get into daycare on short notice. Nobody would have noticed anything was up if she just said she was booked up and the waitlist was overflowing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I bet that idiot could win her over on the concept of dogs if he introduced her to some really nice dogs. A dangerous junkyard dog is only going to further entrench someone's incorrect opinions on dogs.

Nah, that lady's opinions on dogs are more correct than most dog owners. If you're not going to give a dog the care and attention it needs (which is a lot of work and not for everybody) then don't get a loving dog. The only dog opinions that need correcting in this scenario are the husband and his family.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

It sounds like the dog has major behavioral issues so taking care of it and retraining it will be a full-time job. It cannot be in the same house as preteens while those issues remain and it already has a history of biting people so it may be a lost cause :/

He also doesn't really seem to acknowledge that there's anything wrong in how grandpa takes care of the dog. Yes, maybe he's motivated by a deep concern for the dog's wellbeing and is just jumping at the chance to save the dog from a lifetime of neglect, but his reaction to an unhousebroken dog with a history of biting and running loose in the street seems to be more along the lines of "yeah cool dog!!"

Trying to foist a living creature onto someone as a surprise present, even if they hadn't explicitly said they don't want it, also doesn't really speak to having a lot of appreciation for its needs beyond being a lifestyle accessory.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Larry Cum Free posted:

The dog is family! It shares our blood! Well, technically it would be more accurate to say it takes our blood...

Given the dog's pooping habits, it sounds like grandpa's carpet may now be family too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My "not a member of the upper class" gilded marble mosaic displayed over my guest pool has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my gilded marble mosaic

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I. M. Gei posted:

A chiropractor is someone you go to if you really really need the pain to stop right now, but can't get in or afford to see an actual doctor for whatever reason (or if the problem isn't severe enough for a doctor to treat). They won't fix your problem and you shouldn't go to one long-term if you can help it, but if all you need is a quick fix to make some pain go away until you can see a real doctor, then a chiropractor isn't totally useless for that.

A massage is going to be even better for that and won't maim you

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

AITAH for not telling people at my new job that my wife is bi?

bi wife so what

I'm definitely on the guy's side about not oversharing at his job but uhhhhh

quote:

I know that if a woman I barely knew told me out of the blue that her husband was bisexual I would think she was trying to set something up

really dude?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He muddies it by switching the genders, but imagine you are a woman (if you aren't already) and a coworker You've known for about three weeks, barely an acquaintance, comes up to you apropos of nothing and says "Oh, by the way, I think you should know, my wife (who you've never met) is bisexual".

Yeah, to be clear I get why he's concerned about bringing it up to female coworkers. It's that he, personally, would assume it's a come-on that makes me :raise:

EDIT: tbf I'm willing to accept that I'm probably being naive

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Please, have some empathy for the guy. He's obviously staying because he fears for his life should he ever try to get out.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
hmm yes everyone in the gastropub was definitely staring at you out of jealousy. look at their jealous laughing faces as you assemble your hobo burger

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

I worked with a racist guy who poo poo his pants on a weekly basis who would order his burgers, loudly and angrily, "WITH NO SALAD!" Claiming lettuce and tomato made him gag and I'm reminded of him every time I hear a story like this.

I can't believe you got to work with President Donald Trump :patriot:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

Going to a bar full of alcoholics and freaking out about the one milk guy is pretty funny

I think you mean going to a bar full of NORMAL PEOPLE and being justifiably upset about the SMUG rear end in a top hat WHO LOOKS DOWN ON THEM

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

"Accidental", eh?

AITAH for not allowing my fiancee to uninvite my mom from our wedding after accidental mud throwing?

I can't believe you are having such a meltdown just because my mother (who does not like you) pelted you with wet, stinking mud!

I went to look at the comments and reddit is mostly voting NTA :psyduck: I guess that, yeah, on the surface of it uninviting a close family member over slinging some mud is an overreaction, but it's pretty clear that there's a lot more going on here between 1) mom "accidentally" hitting her future DIL instead of her husband and going to console her husband for not being hit with mud and 2) the rest of mom's family ganging up on her son for not defending mom enough.

EDIT: also 3) he admits he did not see the mud throwing or impact but repeatedly insists "it looked like an accident"

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 7, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

First let me ask why they have it in the first place, if they don't use it? Is that common practice?

Depression-era regulations mandating that bars keep milk available to serve in order to prop up the dairy market

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Fellas, my wife doesn't want a partner who beats her. Does this mean she's a cheating harlot???

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

This is a long one but I couldn't not post it due to the bolded part at the end of the update

Am I wrong for being uncomfortable with my wife being friends with her friend after something she accused me of?

Update - 6 days later

r/relationships - I thought it was an apology photo for him, so I already jerked him off while he looked at it

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MagusofStars posted:

This would also explain why a guy in his late 30's (or older?) thinks he can beat a state champion swimmer.

I wonder if he's also part of the irrationally confident 8% of Americans who think they can win hand-to-hand combat against elephants and lions and bears.

Well it depends on if they're girl elephants or bears

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Space Skeleton posted:

A similar thing happened to my parents. They were dating for a while but their surviving parents started seeing each other and were about to get married. My parents went and eloped to get in ahead of them because they knew their parents would tell them to break up after they were married. My parents ended up having a traditional marriage a little later.

It was a sore spot between my parents and grandparents until my grandparents both died. It had to be hushed up like a dark family secret because it could be so upsetting to them.

My grandmother, a teacher and worldly woman, even worried I would be born with a disability because of it. She was not convinced I wasn't until I was old enough to start making coherent finger paintings and she decided I came out alright.

I'm glad you came out OK but it was very rude of your dad to not change his DNA to match his new parent

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
People are coughing when I expose them to secondhand smoke, but I'm pretty sure they're just doing it to make me feel bad.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

wait what's this about miscarriages??

Not part of the OP's current relationship drama except as an example of something OP mentioned to his girlfriend in confidence that she put on blast when she went to mine his letters for Content.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shanghaied posted:

Is this from a far away country where birthday cakes are dirt cheap? 'Cause just lmao ruining multiple expensive cakes for your lovely joke year after year lol.

i hear legends of an exotic land called The United States where you can just go to the grocery store and get a sheet cake for like twenty bucks

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I had a teacher in third grade who just hated a kid in the class who was high functioning but obviously neurodivergent for no particular reason and did poo poo like this.

ding ding ding

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

litany of gulps posted:

I am a teacher. There's no shortage of people in every walk of life that want to do nothing but exert control over others - work, relationships, etc. But the foaming at the mouth hatred of teachers is basically tearing down the public school systems all over the country, and all that will be left is something that won't even allow for neurodivergent students to participate, so have fun with that. Charters just kick them out and private schools don't even allow them in.

What's your point, exactly? Should we salute and thank teachers for their service when they actively bully neurodivergent kids because this is the best we can hope for?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

litany of gulps posted:

You do you, but joining the alt right in their crusade against the schools isn’t going to end the way you think it is.

lol

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
"Some teachers mistreat kids and we should do something about it."

"Ah, so you're a Nazi. Got it." :coal:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
maybe the people pushing to protect society's most vulnerable... were the real monsters all along

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

dervival posted:

my ND brother went to a public high school with a well-established IEP in place, and there were two separate teachers that took every opportunity to ignore it and generally liked to be cruel to him in various ways. I ended up having one of them for honors english a few years later, and his dicking around with rubrics was bad enough that I went gently caress it and dropped down to the standard english class for half my junior year. i'm glad you've presumably been able to avoid those kinds of toxic coworkers while teaching, but they do exist

whatever you say herr goebbels

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I always get a kick out of these self-fulfilling prophecy stories. This just put WAY more points in the 'end this relationship' column for her since he's shown himself to be controlling with money as soon as something isn't exactly what he wants. These 'my partner must always do things with me and I will freak out if they want to do something alone' stories are so weird to me; if someone wants to cheat on you, they can do it locally or semi-locally, they really don't need to be on another continent.

"babe give me several thousand dollars for a solo European vacation starting right this second"
"no"
"wow so controlling :("

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

In what's posted (I didn't track the story down so there may be something different in comments on the original) there's no mention of her wanting 'several thousand dollars for a solo European vacation' or for him to pay anything more than he's already paid. She's just moving the date on a plane ticket back, which AFAIK doesn't is usually just a token fee for rescheduling, not a new ticket cost (if this is actually a 'thousands of dollars' change then never mind my original take). Also my read of "left her stranded in a foreign country without financial help" is that he canceled the existing ticket when she talked about changing the plan, not just that he refused to pay for a new ticket.

Buying a ticket for a week or so out is going to be much more expensive than buying a ticket months in advance, and in my experience airlines will expect you to pay the difference when you try to reschedule. That difference still may not amount to thousands of dollars, but it's also unclear how OP's ex planned on paying her own way in Italy without OP footing the bill for her.

It's his responsibility because he got her over there in the first place with a promise that he'd pay for the return trip. If he just said 'take it or leave it' on the original ticket then I'd have no problem, but what he wrote implies to me that he said 'oh, you thought of a different plan? fine I'm canceling your way home entirely' which is him backing out of a promise.

I'd agree if that was the case but it seems like a stretch to read it into the OP. At a minimum there's nothing to suggest that he canceled the ticket before he told her he wasn't going to pay for a different return trip, or that she tried to begrudgingly agree to the original return flight only for him to cancel it anyhow.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
AITA for refusing to do all household chores on days when my wife works and I don’t?

quote:

My wife [33/F] and I [32/M] have been together for 7 years and married for a year and a half now. My wife has been working 9-5 ever since we met. My work has me traveling for 60-70% of the year. I usually take my 2-3 days off in the midst of my travels to go back home and be with my wife.

The natural rhythm that we fell into, or at least I thought was natural, was that when I'm not home she basically does all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, taking care of pets, and any other chores that come up. She uses her own money to buy things she needs when I'm not there and I use my own money when traveling. We split the cost of the house we bought. When I'm home I do half the chores while she does half.

Before we got married, she started working from home full-time. Last week she brought up how she feels that her doing chores on days she work while I lay around for hours instead of doing all the chores is unfair and that it needs to change. Basically, she wants me to do all the chores while she works and that we split chores that only come up later during the day between us (like making dinner, washing dinner plates, feeding and cleaning up after the pets, etc..).

I think that is unfair because I technically work more than her, my work is just not traditional, so i't not like I'm a stay-at-home spouse who can only contribute to the household by doing all the chores. Plus, when traveling, I'm usually working 14 hours a day and I don't have "weekends" like she does. When I have a few days off, I come back home and share all the chores with her. And on the month or two I have off I come back home and share the chores evenly.

When I started breaking it all apart like I did here she went on about how being tit for tat in marriage is a bad thing and I should be flexible. She says it is inconsiderate of me to do half the chores when I have enough time to do all of them way before she gets off work and that I expect her to do the rest with the time she has left of the day. I then reminded her that half the chores only exist because of her choices.

When buying a house she insisted on a 4 bedroom with a huge backyard. I pay for half even though I'm living there less than 6 months every year. I was never fond of pets, but she insisted on getting them because she gets lonely so we went ahead and adopted the first and now have 2 dogs and a cat. I'm a minimalist, mostly became that way because of my job, and she buys so much stuff to decorate with house. Every inch of the floors and walls is covered with something. I brought up all this to show her that her decisions are why we have so many chores to do during one day. She got upset and told me to just forget her request. She's been very cold to me since then.

I would gladly offer to pay for a cleaning person to come over 5 days a week on days when I'm home, but I know she would refuse to hire one because of reasons related to her past.

AITA for refusing to comply with her request?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

What was the though process on that one

Hmm, I've successfully cheated on my wife with dozens of men and she suspects nothing. I should probably make sure that I come home smelling like womens' perfume so that she doesn't think I'm out banging dudes as I have been for many years without her knowing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

I find this conceptually off putting because as a general rule if I go somewhere where you order single plates then I want the thing I order, not half of it and half of something someone else wanted. What you're doing is tapas only worse.

Bad tapas > no tapas :colbert:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

WIBTA if I tell my wife she has to be honest with me?

20 years of gaslighting and abuse OP you should divorce her!

he's actually married to Inspector Clouseau, who was trying to tell him about the time a sinister guy delivered a message

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

StrangersInTheNight posted:

this is how I read it too and it's why so many folks don't reveal abuse. because so often the not wanting to discuss it right out the gate becomes accusations of lying, or someone actually ends up getting butthurt that you 'kept something' from them and makes it about them and how your not telling them about your assault is a reflection on the trust level in your relationship (which they've just successfully torpedoed)

this guy is a grade-A jackass misusing therapy language and I wish him a very 'I hope your car gets viciously keyed' day

This one is especially egregious because his logic is that she was lying about not being interested in a massage... because she already had had one and therefore had to be interested in massages, which could only mean she was up to something shady by pretending she didn't want a massage!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

AITA for telling my dad that I'm not his replacememt wife?

Sitcom dad accidentally finds a portal into the wrong genre

More info in the comments: Dad is unemployed, does zero chores, won’t allow his kids to go to therapy because they need to “grieve naturally.”

well, he wasn't wrong when he said "we're doomed"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
AITA for naming my son after my father instead of my FIL

quote:

I (26F) recently had twins with my husband Harry (30M). I love my babies so much but the labour was a nightmare m. It was extremely traumatic for my husband and I, and we’ve agreed that we are definitely not having anymore kids.

I was labouring for two days and throughout the process we kept our families updated. When they were finally able to visit, my parents and my in laws came to see us. Everyone was fussing over the babies and my poor husband who only had about 4 hours sleep for the whole two days was napping. My dad, however, sat by me first and just held my hand for a bit. When I told him to go get some cuddles in with the twins, he said ‘I’m here to see my baby’ meaning me. It was honestly so sweet and I started tearing up. I didn’t even realise how invisible I felt when my husband was sleeping and my dad was there to make sure I was also being taken care of. He took me down to the hospital cafe and we had breakfast together while the babies were with everyone else.

I kept thinking about what my dad did for the next few days and I decided that I would give my newborn son my father’s name as his middle name. My husband was totally onboard with this. However, this is where the problem began. We knew my FIL would be pretty pissed at this.

He always wanted a grandson named after him but it’s pretty clear now he won’t get one. He has two sons, my husband and his younger brother and my BIL is gay and currently says he doesn’t want to adopt kids in the future. My FIL is also one of those people who cares about ‘bloodlines’ so I don’t think he’d want an adopted grandson named after him (hosed up, I know).

My husband has a complicated relationship with his father so he wasn’t comfortable naming our son after him, but we agreed to give them the same initials so they’d both be AHD. He accepted this, but when he found out we were switching the middle name for my father, he lost his mind.

He said that this was something he always wanted and we were throwing it in his face by giving the baby my father’s name as his middle name. I tried to explain why but he cut me off and said that it was absurd to expect someone to check on me when there were babies that had just been born and my father shouldn’t be rewarded for ‘ignoring his grandchildren’. I tried to explain that it was more than just the moment because my dad has been my best friend for my whole life but he didn’t want to hear it.

MIL is saying we are AHs for doing this because my dad doesn’t care about any grandchildren being named after him but FIL has always wanted it. According to her, we are taking something away from him just because my dad chose to do something ‘unusual’ which to them was ignoring the babies until he was satisfied with me being okay (he did not ignore the kids, he got plenty of cuddles in when we got back from breakfast). My dad is honoured by our choice, but thinks we shouldn’t have done it because of what it means to FIL. AITA?

Edit: Just a tiny update. We have stuck with my father’s name for my son’s middle name and went back to our original plan of hyphenating our surnames for the twins. FIL is pissed but who cares? Not me

What kind of weirdo voluntarily wastes time fiddling with the incubator???