Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I feel like "living funeral" is a persistent spontaneous invention of dudes in their 20s with the robust and dynamic social circle that entails.

My grandma had a living funeral type thing, she was declining from Parkinson's and so all her relatives and all the kids she'd fostered over the decades came out to say goodbye and tell her how much of a positive impact she's been in their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Shanghaied posted:

Step 1. Build time machine.

Step 2. Travel back in time and stop your past self from sleeping with your best friend's fiancée.

Edit:

Also

Lmao, you think so, do you?

Doesn't sound like there was any sleeping involved...

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mx. posted:

AITA for sending my parents a picture of the Biblical Rebeccah every time they try to get in touch with me?

idk who rebeccah is but google shows me pictures of a lady who is super done with everyone's poo poo

AITA for tricking my senile husband into disinheriting his favorite son?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

I'm just confused on how brother 2 was going to get married at the reception. Was he going to smuggle in a friend who is an ordained minister and do it on the dance floor? Or did OP mean to say they were getting engaged and mispoke?

Well it's England so who knows but in the USA you can go to a website, click the 'ordain me' button and you're legally allowed to marry people. Since they're in England I'd wonder how they were going to handle the prima noctis thing with the local baron, but presumably he took care of that before they left for the honeymoon.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Space Skeleton posted:

The reasoning was possibly vaguely religion-based. She was a lifelong devout Catholic but I'm pretty sure nothing there says if you are step-siblings you will be cursed with inbreeding issues.

Henry VIII argued with the Pope that his marriage to Catherine of Aragon was invalid because she was his sister in-law

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Now I don't smoke but I do miss looking cool.

Try fancy sunglasses or open-carry maybe.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hughlander posted:

I recently visited NY for the first time in 25 years with my extended family. We all grew up there and so part of it we went to places we used to go growing up. One of which was a diner on Long Island that when I left in the late '90s had two complete HVAC systems with HEPA filters on one of them, and a separate glass walled 'smoking section' from the outside it looked like frosted glass. But the 'smoking/non' really did work there. Now in the 2020s the glass room is there but it's just a separate dining room.

Moving from smoking NY to non-smoking Colorado in the late 90s was a huge change. My boss in CO explained that it was only a few years ago that they stopped letting you smoke in the office building and many conference rooms still had ash trays.

Oh yeah I went to Mississippi for work a few years back and people were smoking in restaurants. Was a real blast from the past.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FMguru posted:

AITA for missing my son's birth to see the eclipse?
'the stupid loving sun'

Wow, rude. Good thing the sun is forgiving.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The Maroon Hawk posted:

lol this OP owns

I had a family friend who let his wife hold his hand during delivery and got a broken hand out of it, I can't even imagine what that amount of strength would do to a pair of balls instead of something with bones :allears:

I was present at 2 out of 3 of my kid's births and it wasn't so bad. Hospital wifi was a little slow and the food service was mediocre but there was a good Indian restaurant across the street.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Husband is a loving moron

Also legally married to Poseidon now, so good luck with that.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

babypolis posted:

no obviously plantations are monstrous places that should be burned to the ground, but it feels sort of hypocritical to think that of plantations and not the parthenon or whatever (this includes me and is not an insult)

Parthenon was already burned to the ground so way ahead of you

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Biplane posted:

Never in my life heard about dyspraxia so I googled it and my whole world just came tumbling down around me, what the gently caress. How have I never heard of this? I was even sent to a special class for idiot children who struggled with walking and crawling before I could start school! Which did wonders for my self esteem I might add :psyduck:

Haha yeah I just looked it up and that sounds exactly like my son, suppose I should bring it up with his pediatrician.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

'i never saw myself raising a boy' basically means she fantasized so hard over having a little girl she broke her own goddamn brain, bc you threw the loving dice on a 50-50 gamble here. i dunno why but i'm imagining the sort of person who refuses to consider the option they dislike happening because they believe even acknowledging it will actually have some effect.

and I mean - she can still try to have more kids, drat. she's not for-sure never gonna be a girl-mom, unless she also only ever planned to have one.

She should savescum from the yearly autosave and try and reroll

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Most Power Alex posted:

Fun fact: It is entirely possible to make your own gom jabbar pain box. For the pain box look up how to perform the thermal grill illusion. For the Gom Jabbar just coat a regular needle in cyanide and presto, your ready to start testing people's humanity.

Yeah my kids made a home-made pain box out of a cardboard box and a kitten.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hughlander posted:

AITAH - My friend keeps on talking about my ex in front of my fiancée

"Oh how selfish I was for..." <checks notes> "Getting a PhD so I could get a great job!"

Update - 23 days later

If you realized it was racism from the moment the fiancee was named, you win a prize! But I just love Lisa being like, "Well now that you're done studying and are rich, I guess we can pick up where things left off since neither of us found anything better!"

What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

kdrudy posted:

Amusing story, but in no world would any reasonable person think you're an rear end in a top hat.

Unless it happens to be a military movie theater or the middle manager has paid £1,095 to the king for a baronetcy.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

Palate cleanser:

My husband turned 40 and suddenly became the man I married again

UPDATE: My husband turned 40 and suddenly became the man I married again

Maybe she should check to see if he's been replaced by the fae or a doppelganger. Does she have any silver in the house?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Maybe he went to donate sperm and they told him then? Is that a thing they do?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I also have a last name that has a sex organ word but was also the last name of someone who signed the constitution so it works out. Although sometimes I can't put my real name in video games because it'll get caught by the prohibited words censor.

Hancock is a pretty cool name, wear it proudly

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I thought that was 21.

neither 21 nor 16 are prime

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA: broke sister won’t pay back rich brother

Yeah, just eat the loss, my dude. But also lol, his sister is bad with money

Eat the loss and issue a 1099-C so that the IRS can get it's fair share of the sister's income.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Verbal agreements with boomer parents aren't worth the paper they're not printed on. They absolutely experience pleasure from leaving their own kids hanging at the last moment.

Yeah I heard a story about a guy who had to work for his future father-in-law for seven years unpaid before he could marry his daughter and when it came time for the wedding and she pulled up her veil it was the wrong daughter! He ended up having to work another seven years unpaid to get the right one.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Shanghaied posted:

He said he instinctively jogged ahead to investigate. Some of us just find it an implausible explanation.

Yeah they both failed the gom jabbar test.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mystes posted:

I really don't know why it's somehow considered okay to tell people that they need to get married when they don't want to.

Sometimes you really need an alliance or a claim on a specific duchy

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

deported to Canada posted:

Band of Brothers is amazing and you should all hang your heads in shame.

I'd say use these 6 hours to get a head start on the series, no excuses.

eta: "We salute the rank and not the man" is such an awesome scene.

The only problem with it is that the guy Schwimmer played was right all along and Winters was just being a dick to a guy that got screwed over.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

deported to Canada posted:

Where do you get this from buddy? As the senior officer, Winters was saluted by the soldier walking along with Sobel, who returns the salute as Sobel turns his head away. That's a 'not cool' thing to do in the military.

AITA for not saluting my senior officer when he saluted me first??

IIRC the real Sobel was passed over for promotion for being Jewish

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

He also got to costar on a sitcom with Tamsin Greig and the voice of Postman Pat. Which is nice.

Ross gpt to clown around with the bloke from Taskmaster/Ted Lasso and direct a Simon Pegg movie. Which is also nice.

Why do I know so much about the ftiends actors post friends careers?

Also Matthew Perry's pre-acting career gets talked about a lot since it sets the stage for the Meiji Restoration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

John should wire the other 50% over to OP and say "wow look you got a massive return on your investment. Now stay away from my big gay horse."

Someone who went halfsies on a big gay horse probably doesn't have the cash for that. Maybe he can get a horse equity loan though.