Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

From previous thread:

mystes posted:

People can have 500 beds for all I care, they just can't eat in any of them

I am having oatmeal and tea in my bed right now, brought by my perfect husband, and it's loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nobody Interesting posted:

Honestly really thought after the first few sentences, Jeff was just gonna go impregnate his sister.
No worries, the next generation will be picking up the slack on incest.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Funktastic posted:

AITA for taking “advantage” of my gf?
Comment:

quote:

As an Australian I’m surprised to learn that 8 drinks is a lot, but I still say YTA because I feel he’s taken advantage of the arrangement.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Via Carolyn Hax.

quote:

Dear Carolyn: I consider myself a good feminist, so I normally avoid talking in terms of gender roles, yet here I am. Is it the role of a wife and mother to help bridge a rift between a father and his grown sons?

When I have an argument with one of my sons, leading us to not communicate for a time, she just goes merrily along as if it’s none of her business. Sometimes a son needs to have explained how his actions hurt his dad, and sometimes Dad needs to be told why those actions were important to the son.

Sure, the guys should man up and talk it out, but men have egos, and you know in the real world sometimes people retreat into stubborn silence and resentment.

I’m not talking about Mom/wife taking sides, but about being a conciliator. Frankly, this attitude that she’s not involved in these two people’s sadness or happiness is one reason we’re separated (friendly) and slow-walking to a divorce.

— Functional Single Parent

quote:

Functional Single Parent: I consider myself a good masculist, yet here I am: Your “men have egos” has me rethinking my policy against falling off my chair in fits of snark.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AITA for telling my SIL she was extremely harsh by kicking my mother out of my brother's hospital room while he was critically injured?

quote:

This actually happened back in October but it's just recently flared up. My (M33) little brother Sam (M26) was very badly injured in a car crash and in a coma. It didn't look like he was going to make it the first several days and still uncertain weeks afterwards. During this time, our mother (F61) suggested to us that we should freeze his sperm so his wife Emma (F27) could get pregnant "if the worst happens."

Everyone was disturbed by that comment, I admit it, for obvious reasons. I talked to her at the time and told her not to bring it up because it's very inappropriate to be thinking about creating future children while he was dying but she found it a perfectly legitimate concern but agreed to shut up nonetheless. Again she brought it up and asked if Emma had come to a decision about that. Emma got rightfully upset and told her to leave and not come back. I supported her then but didn't think she would keep her out for weeks (about 11 days).

I told Emma then that she'd learned her lesson and that keeping her away from Sam when he could die at any moment was unthinkable to me despite whatever she'd said. She defended her decision but relented when I promised on behalf of my mom that she wouldn't bring it up again. I then made my mom promise to me that she wouldn't say anything like that again, and even though she was outraged and very hurt at Emma, she apologized to her and we thought that was over. Fast forward to now. Sam has recovered a lot but he still needs a lot of rehabilitation and has quite a few cognitive difficulties still. I thought my mom and Emma had moved past their issue but it turns out my mom is still holding on to resentment because she keeps thinking that Sam could've died without her ever saying goodbye to him because of Emma.

This came out again when Emma recently confronted her about why she's been so off with her and my mom told her everything. My mom was crying that she'll never forgive her and Emma was saying she won't have to because she won't even apologize. Emma then told her that I agreed with her. I corrected her and said I agreed with her initial decision but was always clear that letting it go on for weeks was a horrible thing to do. I was definitely more forceful than I was when I'd first told her because I'd tried to be gentle with her then. Emma is distraught is because nobody is taking her side. Sam himself has come to find out about this through our sister and is upset with me because he thinks I should've tried to diffuse the fight instead of egging my mom on. I'm so conflicted because I definitely don't want to strain our family even more at this time, but if I tried, I think I could get them to see eye-to-eye because I'm generally regarded as a "peacemaker" in my family but if I were to do that, I'd have to be diplomatic and say stuff like "I see both sides" when I unequivocally dislike what Emma did.

Paragraphs added.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

I think people conceptualize their children as being in some way a part of them or at least a product of their lives that will outlive them, and see having a lineage as a small sort of immortality in a world where the real thing isn't possible.
This. I'm very likely not to have grandchildren, and it makes me sad. Not because of the Lupin lineage, but because I liked the idea of a little bit of me going on after I'm gone. Like, one of my kids is a social worker and the work they do will help people, so that's also a heritage. But I wanted there to be people who didn't know I ever existed, whose lives still have some infinitesimal sliver of mine.

Needless to say, I don't say poo poo about this to my children.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AITA For prioritizing a friend over my pregnant wife

quote:

My wife (28F) and I (29M) got married last summer. She is currently 7-months pregnant with our first child. She had an appointment with her OB/GYN 2 weeks ago to address some complications with the pregnancy. The doctor wasn't overly concerned and confirmed that both my wife and the baby are healthy. But they did recommend her starting her maternity leave early and taking as much bed rest as possible.

A few days after that appointment, my best friend's (Bryan) fiance passed away in a car accident. Bryan and I have been friends since we were 3. We lived on the same street growing up. He was a groomsman in my wedding and he asked me to be one for him as well. Their wedding was supposed to be this summer.

Bryan and I live about an hour away from each other now so we don't see each other as often, usually only a few times a year on special occasions. But as soon as I got the news about his fiance I immediately drove to be with him.

I've been juggling helping Bryan with everything I can while also taking care of my wife and everything she needs. On top of all that I'm still working full time. I've driven to Bryan's house a few nights after work just to hang out with him and spent one night there last weekend to help him with some things. His fiance's funeral is scheduled for next week so I've been helping him with that as much as I can as well.

A couple nights ago I told my wife that I planned on driving down to Bryan's one night this week just to hang out and keep him company. This started an argument between us because my wife feels like I am prioritizing Bryan too much and neglecting her. She said that she needs me at home to help her because she doesn't want to go against doctor's orders and try to do too much. She told me that her and the baby need to be my #1 priority right now, not Bryan.

I told her that I am trying to juggle everything and I understand she needs my help but Bryan is at the lowest point in his life and I need to be there for him. She told me I don't "need" to be there for him, I am making a choice to be there for him instead of being at home taking care of her needs.

I told her I am just trying to get Bryan through the funeral and then I will make sure that I am more attentive to things at home. She told me that Bryan has other friends and family that can be there for him and that I'm spending too much time with him.

She said that the health of her and the baby should be more important to me than anything else right now, including Bryan, and that she needs me at home as much as possible. I told her she was being unreasonable and that I'm not going to abandon my best friend in his darkest days.

She's now giving me the silent treatment unless she needs something from me. If I try to talk with her she will make a comment about me talking to Bryan instead since he's more important to me. I understand she's stressed and hormonal, but she's never been this outright mean about anything. Am I wrong here?
:murder:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Jabor posted:

No, no I do not "know".

I have a laundry hamper, it's for "clothes that need a wash but there aren't enough of them to justify running the machine yet".
What do you do with "I wore this shirt one day and I didn't sweat in it so I can wear it one more time before washing"? They don't belong in the clean clothes, they don't belong in the dirty clothes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

redshirt posted:

...So like 2 wears and its verboten??

Depends on whether it's a fabric that crumples. Not an issue in knits.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AITA for running up a $150 tab after my dad said “order whatever you want”?

quote:

My dad (45M) is an employee at a high end italian restaurant. He will occasionally play guitar during the busier hours on weekends and the owner compensates him for this via under the table cash. On this specific night it was just him and some other girl preforming - he was playing guitar and she was singing. They made $600 total from what I was told, so $300 each.

My dad invited me (24M) to play lead guitar on this same night with them. He didn’t mention anything about paying me, but said he would treat me to a free meal and let me get a few drinks. I assumed this was because he gets some kind of employee discount or something. Plus, I was technically providing a service to the whole restaurant by playing along with them.

I ended up running up a bill of $150 over the course of 4 hours, and my dad texted me the next morning PISSED (I left a bit earlier than them). He said the bartender handed him the bill with a worried look on his face and said “this was mainly your son”. My dad says I’m an AH for taking advantage of him, although this was not my intention. I did order more drinks then I usually would have, but this is because I assumed he had employee benefits. My girlfriend works at a different restaurant and whoever she comes in with gets 50% off every time, no questions asked. I would later find out that this wasn’t the case for my dads restaurant and he had to foot the entire bill.

My dad thinks I’m a selfish POS, and he even texted me girl explaining the situation to her. They both think I’m an AH, but the way I look at it is I was performing a service by playing guitar with them and I was the only one who wasn’t paid. My dad explicitly stated that he would cover dinner and drinks for me coming out. I ordered a dinner, desert, and the rest was drinks. This was over the course of 4 hours. My dad says I’ll never play with them again now. I think he’s playing the victim hard here. I mean technically speaking an even split would have been $200 for each performer and I didn’t ask about compensation once.

He drank a whisky drink
He drank a vodka drink
He drank eight drinks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

mystes posted:

Everyone on reddit is saying YTA but I honestly feel like this is poor communication on both sides. It's not totally crazy for the OP to assume his father got some sort of discount, although he didn't actually try to confirm that, and it also would have been really easy for the father to tell him to keep it to a certain amount, especially at a restaurant like that where it's probably extremely easy to run up that much money from drinks.
I think having eight drinks on somebody else's dime is tacky under almost all circumstances.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

mystes posted:

Where is 8 drinks coming from? Is that just an estimate based on guessing how much each drink should have been? I don't think the OP actually said that. In one comment it seems like he said 5 (he may have gotten five beers?), and it seems like he was waiting for a long period before he started which is why he ended up getting so many.
He says 8 drinks in comments.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AITA For backing out on an agreement my husband and I made years ago regarding potential kid names

quote:

My husband (38M) and I (37F) have been married for 11-years and have 2 daughters (8 & 4). I am currently 12-weeks pregnant with our third child. I just had an ultrasound and we were able to determine the sex of the baby, a little boy. We have found out the sex of all of our children this way.

My husband is a "third." As in, John Smith III. Before we got married and were having discussions about kids, he did make it very clear that passing down his name was very important to him if we had a son. At the time I thought it was really cute and adorable how much pride he took in it since most guys don't really care about that sort of sentimental stuff. But as the years have gone by I've definitely cooled on the idea quite a bit and I don't think I want to have our son be named after my husband that way.

Obviously, with our first 2 kids we didn't even have to think about it. But when we were choosing names for our daughters, my husband was very much in the "you can take the lead on naming our daughter because I already have the name picked out if we have a son" camp. It's not like he wasn't involved in naming our daughters, but he definitely deferred to my opinion.

So, when we found out we were having a boy, my husband was very excited. On the car ride home after the ultrasound it was all he could talk about. He was giddy like a teenager talking about how proud he would be of sharing his name with his son.

I don't know if it was the best time to bring this up, but I kind of had one of those "yeah, about that" moments. I told him how I know we had talked about this many times before with our other kids and that I technically agreed to it years ago, but I don't think I want to name our son the same as my husband.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone's mood change so quickly and visibly as my husband's did in that moment. It was like all the joy went out of his body all at once. I told him that I just don't want our son to be a "forth." It seems tacky and has weird aristocratic vibes that just don't seem right to me. I told him that I am not totally against the idea, but I don't want to just agree to it right now because I want time to think about other names too.

He took that as me basically saying that I am going back on our years-long agreement and that there is no way we are naming our son after him. He said this is pretty much me telling him "maybe" when I really mean "no."

This has taken all of his excitement about the baby away. He's been withdrawn and quiet with me ever since. When I try to talk to him about it, he tells me he has nothing to say because he's been very clear about where he stands on this and he feels betrayed by my change of heart.

I asked him if he would want to think of some other names together and he told me to give him a list and he'll look at it when he can. I know I technically agreed to this years ago, but it just doesn't feel right to me anymore.

AITAH for telling my girlfriend to stop her sisters from touching her?

quote:

I (m25) have been dating (f21) for a year now and moved in 2 weeks ago. We fell in love pretty quick because she's amazing and honestly i think she's the one. So we decided to meet eachother's families. I grew up with my older brother and parents who she has already met when she came to dinner last week at my parents' house. It went really well. Yesterday it was my turn to go to her parents' house for dinner. She had always told me that her sisters treat her like their daughter as she is the youngest in her family. Her sisters are (f27) and (f32) which are both significantly huge age gaps. She also had told me that her parents always loved them in a cute cuddly manner which i thought was cute. When i went to her house yesterday her sisters greeted her by pecking her cheeks and hugging. They kept pulling her cheeks and kissed her forhead again when we were about to leave and idky why but the entire pecking thing made me really uncomfortable. Everything else was great, they're all great people but her mum, dad and sisters all actually pecked her on forehead before saying bye which was super uncomfortable for me. I told my girlfriend about this when we reached home and she got really upset and embarassed and said i was making it sound like incest which seems a bit too much. She went to sleep after that with teary eyes and hasn't talked to me all day. Am i the rear end in a top hat for feeling this way and telling her about it?

Edit: Gee i get it i get it!! I see now that i overreacted. Yeah many of you are right, i never got this kind of affection in my family so i didn't know what to expect. I love her and have already apologized to her. It's a little harsh for wanting us to break up but I won't let that happen. She's taking her time but I'll try my best to fix my mistake. Please be a little kinder.
Learned, grew, apologized. Can't beat that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Exactly. I am not crazy about aristocratic-style names, but OP not only made the promise before they married, but repeated it for each of their previous two pregnancies which turned out to be daughters. She'd had eleven years to change her mind and discuss it, but she waited it until the instant the ultrasound dropped.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

From the comments on no-food wedding:

quote:

But what did she and her husband eat and drink, if they had anything at all?

OP: Yes, they had drinks at the head table and some food

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

From Ask A Manager, a saga:

quote:

……I went to a conference in another country. My colleague from work was there too. He had been at a different conference before so we didn’t fly there from the same city but we were flying home from the same city. The flight home was a different airline than my flight there. The airline home made me take 2 seats because of my weight. He got bumped from his seat. I’m senior to him and I went home first.

It was a stupid decision I should have let him go first and I stayed. He got left a foreign country for almost 2 days until the next flight. I had the petty cash with me. He had a corporate credit card but since he wasn’t the senior person on the trip it was only approved for small expenses. He couldn’t get a hotel with it. He has to live in the airport for almost 2 days with nothing rto eat and no luggage. His sister had to take a payday loan to wire him money for a new ticket because it was a Sunday and no one from the company was at work.

I was so embarrassed I never told our boss or anyone that I took his seat so I could fly. I got written up for not telling him which I know I deserve. I have so much so shame. He is telling everyone what happened and our boss, his boss and HR say he can’t get in trouble for telling people about an actual situation that happened to him. I know there is gossip about me and my weight. I’m ashamed I made such a dumb decision and that my weight has gotten so bad. I also shouldn’t have bought a cheaper airline ticket so I could have more petty cash for the trip. If I stayed with the original company approved airline none of this would have happened. I took a sick day today because I couldn’t face anyone st work but there is a meeting Monday I need to be there for and can’t miss. I’m so embarrassed. Even writing this here was hard and I couldn’t use my name.
(line breaks added)

(Ask A Manager is sympathetic, as are commenters)

quote:

I was the one in charge of our tickets being that I was the senior person, not him. So the company is lying it at my feet for not using a company approved airline. He has no say.

He had to give up his ticket for me. Which is why the airline isn’t reimbursing the company or gave him another flight.

He doesn’t have a credit card. He had a debit card with not enough funds. When I mentioned that if he had a personal credit card he could have used it I was sent home for the rest of the day (this happened yesterday) after being written up because my boss said it was my fault for not using a company approved airline, making him give up his ticket, taking the petty cash with me and not telling anyone at the company. I was blamed and I know this was my fault.

My coworker did not accept my apology and per HR I’m no longer allowed to talk to him or “meddle” in the situation. He said he will come after me for the ticket because the company won’t pay him since I knowingly broke the company policy. I am ashamed at how I acted.

(Ask A Manager and commenters are outraged at the company)

quote:

I had his work phone that we had been loaned for the trip. Our travel plans have to be approved by HR but I changed it afterwords. I’m at the level I can book my own travel and travel for those junior to me. You are correct that we get an allotment of money for the trip and I book a cheaper unapproved airline against policy. He didn’t have money to make any calls and the company doesn’t accept collect calls. Bottom line is I should have told the company and our boss when I got back, but I didn’t and I’m ashamed if it. Thank you for the support.

An AAM commenter posted:

You left your junior coworker in a foreign airport. You took his ticket, the petty cash, and his phone with you. You knew he had no money or credit card with him and no way to book a new ticket. You didn’t tell your employer that he was stranded, but abandoned him completely. And the reason this whole debacle kicked off was because you took approved travel reservations, and switched them to unapproved reservations without your employer’s permission and against policy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

house of the dad posted:

Yeah, having a hard time figuring out what would lead the manager to do this in the first place, because I can't see the benefit in it unless they were pocketing the money they saved by using an unapproved airline.
They flat-out say that they were planning on keeping the petty cash ... which they then took with them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Scathach posted:

Honestly she's bringing it on herself. I don't know why she even works when she'd make more money staying home
Because it's nice to have an up-to-date work history when things go terribly wrong and you have to support yourself. Because putting money regularly in a 401(K) is good. Because it's barely possible that she has some money in the local teachers' pension fund.

There is more to working than the salary.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

A lot of Redditors have pointed out, IMHO correctly, that he needs to be evaluated for OCD.

Hughlander posted:

A phone can have a map with a blue dot showing where you are on the map. That alone makes it superior to a paper map where the relative sizes and distances are often calvin ball.
A paper map works in bright sunlight.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dear Miss Manners: My 29-year-old, fully independent daughter recently told me that she does not wish to hear negative comments from me: “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.”

quote:

I am the retired senior director of a large multimillion-dollar firm with two postgraduate degrees. I successfully managed hundreds of employees over the years and undertook extensive, complaint-free personnel management, staff development and mentoring. I have a forthright personality and am used to speaking my mind directly with family, due to years of having to be politically correct in the office. I raised my daughter to be a strong, successful career woman. I am at a loss now that I must be politically correct all the time.

I know you will probably tell me I am in the wrong, but as I am now in my late 60s, I am tired of having to self-censor. I have done it for so many years and in so many professional and social settings. My daughter was one of my only “filter-free” outlets. Do I just suck it up, smile, shut my mouth and stop being me? Or do I need to pay a therapist to listen to my invective?

quote:

Not wanting to be a punching bag for bottled-up negativity, Miss Manners notes, hardly qualifies as censorship. Perhaps your daughter is so successful because she learned from you how to maintain cordial business relationships. Now she is doing you one better by recognizing that family deserves the same respect, if not — brace yourself — even more.

Dear Miss Manners, I have been forced to be polite and accepting all my life, when really I longed to be racist. My daughter doesn't want to listen to my being racist. Tell me I'm being wronged.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Fatty posted:

Thanks, remembering that helped me find the rendition.

https://whyp.it/tracks/137259/j-the-b?token=tUPee

Edit: Sorry, credit to Rat Patrol.

Is this in the r/relationships "greatest of all time" list? Because it should be.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

AITA for not inviting my mentally unstable cousin to my wedding
Comment from r/BestofRedditUpdates:

quote:

Post, their cousin isn’t mentally ill, they’re trans. She didn’t just discreetly not invite him; she made a huge show of going round the table at Christmas (or thanksgiving?) dinner, and giving a huge invitation card to every single person EXCEPT him as a deliberate FU.
AITA for agreeing to split the bill on a double date which ended in my best friend being dumped?

quote:

Hi! I (22f) am really unsure here. My best friend and roommate (22f) Amiee had been seeing a guy for two months. She really likes him, it seemed to be going super well.

Last night, she asked if I’d go along with a blind double date (ie. her and the guy she’s dating, me and one of his friends who is single and looking). I wasn’t keen at first but she insisted, so I agreed.

We got to the restaurant, just a nice place in our area, and things seemed to be going fine. The friend she was “setting me up with” was cool, but I really am not looking right now and didn’t feel any kind of spark.

We get to the end of dinner and the bill comes. Aimee chimes in and says “don’t worry, our men have got this” to which I say back, “ah, no I don’t mind”. We’d had two cocktails each (all four of us) and it wasn’t a crazy expensive place but not cheap.

A bit of back and forth happened, Aimee kept insisting it is always the gentlemen who pay, so I said something like, “you do you, I’m happy to split”.

The guys were saying they would cover but both seemed uncomfortable. They paid, then we all left. Aimee and her boyfriend went back to his, I said good night to his friend and went home alone. Later, Aimee texted saying her man is now contemplating the relationship because he doesn’t want someone who always insists the men pay. She told me I ruined it by offering to split and should’ve sided with her, and not made things worse. She’s now saying he needs time and might not want to continue the relationship with her. AITA for this?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Crocobile posted:

Yeah wasn’t this why women were supposed to ride side saddle? I think it’s a common trope in old-timey literature for there to be a thing with women and horses and virginity.
Sidesaddles were because women wore long skirts and the skirt bunches up weirdly when you sit astride, and risks your showing your lower legs. Once this was thoroughly established, riding astride was obviously manly and therefore women shouldn't do it.

Women died fairly regularly because they fell off their horses, the long skirt got caught on the saddle or the stirrup irons, and they were dragged.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

compshateme85 posted:

That said, I just don't get having a total breakdown over a food craving.
The problem is, this isn't "a food craving". It sounds like she probably has gestational diabetes, which requires the same sort of carb-controlled diet as for Type 1, only stricter because you can't take insulin. If I went through six months without potatoes, butter, any processed sweet food, and beef, I'd be cranky too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

(deleted because I completely misread the conversation)

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 26, 2024

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think you need to reread the post and the response.

You're right, I completely misread. Deleting.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Kinda. If you call them for a non emergency, they'll bill you, and if the patient refuses to get driven. So pranks and non compliance. It's like 600€ here.

Usually if you get a drive they might send you a "Hey, we exist and helped, mind donating?" Letter
I love the animation in your av. What's it from?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

It also might be a low-pass filter for spinelessness in the way of heavily misspelled Nigerian Prince scam emails are for gullibility. She might only be looking for someone she can really push around and this guy didn't pass muster
It's some goddamn Tiktok trend, I'm sure.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

A lot of "airport hotels" have a policy where if you stay one night, you can leave your car there for a week. It's usually cheaper than airport parking and they have a shuttle to and from the airport anyway. It's a whole business model.
Yup. Furthermore, it's a three-hour drive to the closesst major airport, and I don't like risking a traffic jam's making us miss a flight. Drive night before, sleep in airport hotel, get up at a less-uncivilized time, fly. Can't beat it if you can afford it.

The post isn't all that interesting, but I love this comment.

quote:

A: I would really recommend you take the quiz "is my relationship healthy" at loveisrespect dot org

OP: i tried putting my relationship into the thing and it says i might have network connectivity problems :(

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Florentines are amazing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I associate Silas with a verse from Gimme That Old-Time Religion.

It was good for Paul and Silas (x3)
And it's good enough for me

We used to sing it in the car on long trips, along with A Long Way to Tipperary and other random songs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Flashing back to despised Nanny lady, it is really unnecessary to "teach" an infant to roll over, unless it's disabled. That is a normal developmental stage, and infants do it when they feel the need. In fact, the age they learn it is something a pediatrician keeps track of!

There's such a thing as overdoing the loving support. Teach them to eat from a spoon, sure. Sitting up and rolling over are things they innately want to do and figure out themselves.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't think kids starve to death by having a late dinner.

How are 10 and 11 year olds incapable of putting a TV dinner in the microwave, or making a cheese sandwich, or whatever.
This is the correct answer. Freezer full of TV dinners (yeah, I'm old, too), bread, peanut butter and jelly, cereal, milk. They are fully capable of feeding themselves. You could even parent up and teach them to use the oven to make frozen pizza!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

OP apparently operates under the rules of mythical creatures, where she will answer a question honestly, but only the exact question asked.
"If I were to ask you if you had cheated, would you say yes?"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If you enjoy wearing pretty formal dresses and you're a teenager, prom is your only chance. Bridesmaid dresses do not count.

I'm overall with the mom, though. You knew the rules, you took the chance, now take the consequences without asking Mom or Dad to fix it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Funeral-proposal guy failed to realize that there were two people who knew about the deal, and one of them was lying there full of formaldehyde. Furthermore, nobody else in the family wanted the fun party that Grandpa had wanted.

I get the good intentions, but I also get why they threw him out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Aimie is just French. It's not that weird, it's not a basic name spelled weird. You're projecting.
The French name is Aimee, with accent in original language, without in English.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AITA for wanting to eat a dessert in a restaurant?

quote:

So my boyfriend (29m) and me (28f) are currently travelling through Italy. Yesterday we would take a train from Florence to our next hotel in the countryside of Tuscany. We were going to have a last dinner there yesterday night, I chose a place that has the best tiramisu in Florence according to insta and we didn't manage to go there earlier. Our meal took a bit longer than expected and my boyfriend reminded me that the last train we could take was at 21.40, the next train would only come early in the morning. He said that it would be too tight to eat dessert and that we should just pay and leave to make it to the train. According to my estimation we had 20 minutes left, so it would either be 20 minutes waiting in the station or 20 minutes in the restaurant, no big deal.

When the waiter came and asked if we wanted anything else I quickly ordered the tiramisu. Without having to read the menu first i figured it would be fast enough to make our train still. My boyfriend got kind of red and asked me why i did that. I just told him that they will bring it out soon and that we have plenty time to make the train.

So it took a little longer than expected and by the time it came I only had time to snap a few quick pictures and eat it fast. I offered my boyfriend some of it but he said he didn't want any. We paid and left, it was tight now but still possible so we grabbed our luggage and made a run for it. In the end we made it, I admit that there was barely any time left but we got in the train a couple minutes before we left. I sat down and just felt such relief that everything worked out. My boyfriend just threw the bags down and sat somewhere else for a moment untill the train left. I called out to him and told him to come sit with me. I started talking about how we did it but he cut me off and asked me in an angry tone "why i had to have that dessert". He complained about running halfway through the city and almost missing the train.

I felt very hurt and was a bit scared to be honest, I have never seen him angry like this. We argued the whole train ride and on the way to our hotel. There he eventually just said that he was exhausted, turned around and went to sleep. I cried myself to sleep at night and woke up feeling very horrible. He is still asleep and I come here to ask you if I am the rear end in a top hat here.

:commissar:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Chewbecca posted:

It's absolutely this

Also what grown adult gets to a ripe old age not knowing what you can and can't flush

Far, far too many of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

quote:

My husband and two teenager sons are going away on a trip this weekend.

Since they wouldn’t be home on Mother’s Day, they gave me their gift early.

None of them are good at remembering events or getting good presents. Half the time they forget to get me a gift.

For their birthdays and for Father’s Day I try my best to make it special. So it’s annoying not to get the same effort back.

Their gift this time is not the worst one I’ve gotten but up there.

They got me a Mother’s Day card - with no message - and a cheap plastic rose - the kind you get at a gas station.

I thanked them for the early gift.

I don’t really need the clutter so I just tossed it out afterwards. I was planning on emptying the trash out later that day and but my husband saw that the gift was in the trash under some other things.

He got angry and said I was a bad mom for not keeping their gift. AITA?

In comments:

quote:

Your family bought you a crack pipe. This is actual grounds for divorce in my book. If my loving husband did that to me I'd be out the door so fast. NTA

(Unless I'm picturing the wrong item but I really doubt I am. It's a plastic rose in a little glass bulb right?

ThrowRA-Border-6787

I didn’t even know until I made this post. Another kind person pointed it out.

I’ve only ever seen them as gas stations so I thought they were just being thoughtless…but the disrespect is on another level

I am shaking with fury right now.

The_Franz posted:

Grandma's secret dessert recipe taken from the side of the Cool Whip™ package specifically requires Real Cool Whip™. Accept no substitutes.

I have a recipe for the maple nut chiffon cake my grandmother would make, and it specifically calls for Wesson brand oil, because the recipe came from the side of a Wesson oil bottle decades ago (it's a fantastic cake though).

(Bambi eyes) Do you feel like sharing?