Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for telling my mom she doesn't get to act like the victim when she named me after her late husband behind my dad's back?

quote:

My mom was married to another guy before she was married to my dad. Her first husband was her childhood best friend, her first and only love until he died, they started dating as teenagers and got married in their 20s and were trying to have kids when he died. They were 28. My mom never loved anyone else again. She met and married my dad. But she never loved him. She married him because she was turned down as a single adoptive parent and because people in her life told her she should find a way to be happy again.

I'm their only kid and she named me after her first husband. My dad didn't realize for years. Her husband's name was James. Like his legal name. It's the one most people used for him. But my mom called him Hunter and guess what my name is? Hunter. She told dad she just really loved the name and my dad liked it too so he agreed. He only knew her first husband as James so never made the connection.

I was 10 when my dad found out. He found some letters that he initially thought were meant for me but realized they were to the first husband. They ended up arguing for like 2 weeks straight and that's how I learned mom's feelings toward dad and why she married him. I would sit up and listen to them when I was meant to be sleeping because it weirded me out to learn I was named after her first husband.

She always had him very present in our lives. We had loads of photos in the house of him, she would talk about him a lot and it was pretty clear she was still super in love with him. I only realized last year but something she also did was switch her wedding ring from my dad out for her original wedding ring when my dad wasn't around. I remember her changing rings a lot when I was a younger kid and when they divorced she just always wore her original wedding ring.

I wanted my name changed and my dad does too but mom refuses to give her consent, which we need, and the judge has insisted both parents have to consent.

My relationship with mom is not good anyway. I'm not the kid she wanted because I'm not James/Hunters kid. But she also refuses to let me go and just let me be dad's kid. She'll sometimes try some performative parenting but mostly it's sort of like we're roommates when I'm at her house instead of dad's (I have to split my time every other week, the judge refused to let me make the decision).

My mom's house has photos of her and James all over the place. It's like a shrine to him/to them and two days ago she was crying to her former ILs that we hate her and how awful my dad is to her. When the call ended I told her she doesn't get to act like the victim when she lied to dad about my name and named me after her dead husband behind dad's back and when she won't let me change my name so I'm not creeped out by the history behind my name. She called me a self-absorbed brat and told me I will never understand her grief. I told her I understood the loss was devastating for her but she used us and never even loved us and that was lovely.

AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for not letting my sister know the name chosen for my baby?

quote:

I'm (38f) pregnant with my first, and probably only, child. My sister (36f) is also pregnant but this is her third child and this baby comes several years after her last child who is 8 years old. I struggled with fertility problems for many years. I could not get pregnant despite trying from the age of 24. We underwent numerous tests but no clear reason for this was ever found. We tried taking breaks between trying, we tried fertility medications in recent years and finally, last year, we went through IVF which was successful for us.

You might wonder what this has to do with the name of my baby. Well, let me explain. My husband and I had a boy and a girl name chosen from pretty much the time we started trying for a baby. These were names we promised to use whenever we had a baby, and we had planned to have at least 2 children. Those names stayed "the names" throughout everything. But when my sister was pregnant with her first child, she and her husband struggled to agree on a name. She mentioned mine and my husband's chosen names once during my pregnancy and said how lucky we were to have agreed. Then when her daughter was born she decided to use the girl name my husband and I had chosen. And she confessed that is how the name was decided on. She said her husband liked our chosen name and she didn't think it was bad so she decided it would be better for them to use it so their baby could have a name. She told me not to look upset (because admittedly I got emotional when she said this) and told me at least the name would be used. Then when her son was born she used the name we had chosen for the same reason; they couldn't agree on another name.

This did strain our relationship and I was and still am hurt that she was so dismissive of my feelings and so blunt about what they did. She implied pretty strongly that she expected I would never have children to use the name for. Then a couple of years after her son was born she made the comment that we agreed so easily we could find another name if it worked, implying that we could not/should not use the names anymore.

We ended up mixing our boy choice and our girl choice for this baby. Both had a unisex name in them and we decided, since we loved all four names mixing them wasn't a huge change. My sister won't like this. But honestly, we don't see each other much anymore. She only reached out more now because we're both pregnant at the same time and she has asked repeatedly about the name we have chosen. I have refused to tell her. But my two brothers know. They thought I should have used the original name as intended and give our sister the middle finger. But they also understand why we chose to mix them.

She sent me a very pissy text a few nights ago saying I'm being so petty and these babies should grow up close together and we should be working on our relationship and instead I am excluding her and making a point of saying I don't want her to know anything.

AITA?
Comments are saying she needs a new name for kid #3

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for not telling my bf that my dad/family is “rich”?

quote:

So, my bf “Callum” and I have been together for 8 months, and over this long weekend I figured it would be a good time for him to meet my dad.

He has met my mom and stepdad a couple of times, but always at restaurants or my place. But for this meeting with my dad we went over to his place for lunch.

Looking back on it, Callum was immediately uptight when he saw where my dad lives, but I thought it was just nerves. He was acting pretty strange all through lunch, and was very cagey about any questions my dad or his wife asked. But again, I chocked it up nerves.

Well, when we were driving back he blew up (not yelling or anything, just clearly frustrated) that I never told him my dad is rich. I was confused and asked why he’d need to know my dad’s income. Callum said he would have prepared himself better if he’d known and that I sent him in there “blind” because you’re meant to warn your partner or potential pitfalls when they meet your parents. I was still confused what about my dad’s tax bracket was a potential pitfall. I could see warning him if my dad was incredibly snobbish about dress sense or manners but he isn’t. Callum then asked if I’d also “hidden” that my mom and stepdad were rich which I admitted I guess I did, although I take issue with him calling it hiding something, it’s just not relevant.

Callum hasn’t let it go and is now digging into irrelevant stuff such as my previous vacations, my living situation, and my job, apparently so he can figure out what exactly my “lifestyle” is. I think he’s totally lost the plot. But up until now he’s been a really sweet, unassuming, chill person so I’m wondering if I really am the problem?

To clarify, my parents are not rich like what you would think of when you think rich. Both my dad and stepdad have been successful and been able to give themselves and their kids nice lives but we aren’t the Waltons. And even if we were, is this a thing you “warn” people about???

quote:

My parents are 1%ers by every scale I’ve seen. Could I not work if I didn’t want to? Yes. Could the next 10 generations of my family not work? No. So, by my scale no they’re not loaded.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

no they can't be rich they fly Southwest Airlines.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

DrNut posted:

Can we talk about the fruit tree situation? I will never jeopardize the fruit tree.

Content:

Son found one just like dear old ma.

quote:

Edit: Just because I dont won't to be misunderstood - I did what I did because I am terrified to give birth alone. My friend would have to ask for a day off in advance so she'd have to know that she is needed before I actually get contractions. My mom died in childbirth and I don't want to be alone during the scariest moment of my life. Even if I am TA, I think this gave me the push I needed to "get my ducks in a row" & my friend already asked for a couple days off to be there when I need it. I'm just so scared.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AceClown posted:

I love how the response is "I've lined up my BFF to be with me during birth" and not "I've sent this piss baby back to his abusive mother with a suitcase (go bag lol) and divorce papers"

I mean, divorcing the assclown still means she's gonna need her BFF to be there with her during birth.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah it sounds like she resents him for going to college and being older than her, despite him making every effort to make and maintain a connection, she's the one who checked out at the age of loving six.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Shanghaied posted:

Did she even really check out? They talk monthly. I don't have siblings, but some of my friends talk to their sibling less often than once a month, and I don't hear them complaining about not being close to their siblings. Adults have poo poo going on in their lives, and it can be hard to stay in touch especially when you live in different places. I have people that I consider good friends (and I hope the feeling is mutual) that I talk to less often - you get together maybe a couple of times a year when you're in the same place, but otherwise only call/text/email each other occasionally.

I don't know, it just sounds weird to me.

She seems to think she did. He's doing all the work in their relationship and she's not doing anything in return. like they talk but I guarantee he's the one who calls every time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for keeping my nephew's birthday gift, a PS5, since he broke my N64.

quote:

I fix broken or old gaming systems nas a hobby and to make a few dollars. I have a pretty decent collection that I love. All of them work but they are delicate. The controllers for my Intellivision for example are very touchy. So I mostly play on emulators for the older games.

My brother has a stepson that he is planning to adopt. I thought I would do something nice and give him a refurbished PS5 for his birthday this year. I took a long time cleaning one up and stress testing it to make sure it worked. I did a great job if I do say so myself. I love that I'm going to be an aunt.

My brother, his wife, and their children were over visiting. We played Mario Kart on my Switch and I kicked butt. My big brother whined that I only beat him because it's a fancy new system and that he could destroy me on N64. Challenge Accepted.

I have a translucent orange N64 console that is one of my pride and joys. I brought it down off the shelf, found the cartridge, blah blah blah, crushed my stinking brother the same way he used to beat me.

My nephew wanted to try so I allowed it. I told him that he needed to be careful because it was an old system and kind of delicate. I didn't even try hard. I didn't even pick Yoshi or use any short cuts. I still whooped the kid.

He was so angry that he picked up.the console and smashed it on the table. It didn't fly apart or anything but it stopped working. And the was a crack in the casing.

I was pissed. I kicked everyone out of my game room and told my brother I was going to charge him whatever it cost me to fix that console. He said it was old and not worth much and he would replace it for $30 from eBay.

I said sure but it had to be the same color. He looked and only found them for about $250.

He said that was ridiculous for an ancient console and he wouldn't replace it. I was upset but I said fine.

I sold the PS5 and used the money to fix up my old console. It's not perfect but it works perfectly.

I gave my nephew a $50 gift certificate for Nintendo for his birthday. I had checked with my brother in advance about his first gift to make sure he and his wife were okay with it so he was expecting the PS5. My brother not my nephew. My nephew thanked me for the $50 and apologized for getting upset and breaking my N64.

Now my brother is pissed because he had purchased a couple of games for the PS5 to give the kid for his birthday. So he will have to go get one since the only one I have now is mine. He said I was an rear end in a top hat to sell a gift. I said he needs to be responsible for the actions of his children. Our parents say we are both being petty.
How dare you not give me a PS5 for my son's birthday like you promised. What do you mean it was a gift for my son?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You'd expect a young kid to throw a controller. Walking up to the console and slamming it so hard it shuts off and the case breaks is a level of impulse the aunt probably wasn't ready for.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I consider myself a good feminist but also all men have intractable egos that require female mediation.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

is that too long for a thread title?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nah she was just a woman in op's presence and Girlfriend is jealous. OP discovered that this is a kink of his and now needs his mom to apologize.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Troublemaker posted:

Does the OP in the comments say why in the hell he's okay with the GF's behavior? I can think of fewer things that'd make me drop my significant other like a hot potato than them screaming and running across a restaurant and physically attacking someone I'm dining with.

Nah, op isn't in the comments and this is on one of the weirdo side-reddits so there's probably not gonna be much interaction from him (Literally no one is taking his side)
It got removed from the main AITA board for breaking the rules on 'posts containing violence'

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

How about a little r/legaladvice content, as a treat:

I had an affair and a child resulted. We have done a non court ordered DNA test and I am the biological father. How can I ensure I am not declared the father legally in court?

Hope you have access to a time machine and an instruction manual about keeping it in your pants, buddy, I think that's your best chance here

That's some powerful passive voice there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for not attending my step daughter’s wedding?

quote:

I (46M) have been married to “Kate” (48F) for over a decade. Kate has two daughters from her previous marriage, “Selena” (29F) and “Amy” (25F). We have a daughter “Lynn” (12F) together.

Two years ago Selena got married and although I was invited to the wedding, I wasn’t a part of the ceremony. Selena is very close with her bio dad and doesn’t see me as a father figure, which I respect because we still have an amazing relationship. Amy considers me a father figure, though.

I also have a very good relationship with Kate’s ex and the girls’ bio dad, “Ron” (54M). We bonded over football and we went on many games together. I don’t have many friends since I moved to another state, but I consider Ron a very good friend of mine.

Amy is planning a wedding and this is when the conflict ensued. She wants me to be the one to walk her down the aisle and the one to dance with her. I felt very honored until I found out the reasoning behind this decision.

Around five years ago, Ron suffered a serious injury that affected his mobility. Fortunately he isn’t paralyzed or anything, but Amy claimed that his limp would get in the way of having nice wedding videos. I was shocked and appalled and disappointed in how cold and brutal she treated him. Ron was very involved in her life and loves her so much, and his condition wasn’t even an issue for Selena when she was getting married.

I politely declined her request and this is when poo poo hit the fan. Ron found out that she wanted me to take his place and he decided to not participate in the wedding at all, also deciding to not contribute financially. His wife, “Belle” (F38), called Amy and said that she is an rear end in a top hat and that she won’t be contributing financially either. Amy and Belle had a pretty good relationship and Amy relied on their financial support when she was planning the wedding. I decided to not participate in this wedding either since Amy decided to exclude her own father and my best friend.

Now Amy says that I’m an rear end in a top hat for refusing to pay for the wedding, to participate in it and ruining her special day. Kate says I’m being too harsh on her since she lost the support of her bio dad and step mom. Her fiancé is on her side too. Selena, Ron and Belle think that she’s an rear end in a top hat and pretty much cut her off, expecting me to cut her off as well. Luckily Lynn doesn’t have a distinctive opinion. The drama is snowballing with every next day and I feel like I need to hear some outside opinions. Sorry if I left out any info, I tried my best to put it in an 3000 character post.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

also, considering that response, I SUSPECT I know how the wife was the one who wanted to put up with a massive poo poo-stirrer the longest of anyone. You don't say that unless you don't like to stir poo poo just a bit!

Yeah, it can be fun to be friends with a poo poo stirrer but it can blind you to when it's happening to people close to you.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITAH for being upset that my family kept my sisters pregnancy a secret from me?

quote:

After years of trying, I found out having children would be impossible for me. I have a remarkable, fulfilling life otherwise and have come to accept this.

I just found out though that my sister had a baby and my family kept it from me thinking it would make me upset since I “cannot have kids”. I live a ways away and only get to see my family once every couple years when I fly in. Phone calls and messages seemed to dwindle the past year but I chalked it up to everyone just being busy with their own lives. My mother slipped up though by mentioning “the baby” on a call and after questioning what she meant, she hung up on me.

My nephew is now 3 months old and I had no idea. I was blocked on social media posts, ignored and lied to.

I was completely left out. I missed getting to experience it with her and rebuilding our relationship, missed out on her baby shower, on supporting her, and most importantly on meeting my nephew. All because my mother claimed she “thought it was best” because I would “probably be upset”.

Not being able to have children does not mean I do not understand the world will keep spinning and people around me will still be able to reproduce even though I cannot. I love babies. I love my sister. One thing that helped me through my own infertility was knowing someday I would get to be an aunt.

I feel so alone. I feel shunned by my own mother because she will not speak to me because she does not want to face the fact that this clearly was not right. She says I’m overreacting. My sister told me she wanted to tell me but my mom said it was best if she didn’t because it would hurt me and she did not want to hurt me. I asked what the plan was when I visited and she had no answer.

I feel stupid and I feel hurt that I was pushed out of an exciting family experience just because of my infertility. Like I’m an outsider due to something beyond my control.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for being upset about this?
Well she's sure as hell upset now Mom!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

titty_baby_ posted:

Cucked by your own dad...Jesus christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xag5RKD0VHk

Hughlander posted:

Wow a day one poster that got probated within 60 seconds of posting. I’m super super interested

It's insane rereg guy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hughlander posted:

Got it. This is the only GBS thread I follow so didn’t know

Insane rereg guy is the "many people do not like my posting" lawsuit guy. and I'm pretty sure this has been going on for longer than 6 months.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

an old AITA got an update
AITA for "keeping score" with my family and ruining dinner?

quote:

I (27m) am the 3rd of 4 siblings and have always felt like an afterthought. Laurie (33f), Chuck (29m), and Jade (25f) have always gotten the first and best from my parents and each other. I get the leftovers if I'm lucky. I haven't gotten a birthday present from any of my siblings in about 10 years, but I still get asked to pitch in for group gifts for each of them every year.

On Friday night we were having a family dinner and it honestly felt like every other sentence was a dig at me or a less than subtle brag by my siblings about something they have been given by my parents that I was denied. They talked about how nice almost all of our weddings were, but made sure to mention it was "ok" that my wife and I had a small low-key wedding. And it was Ok, we loved it. But they brushed over the fact that my parents paid for all of my siblings weddings... but not mine. Because somehow they couldn't afford it... because they were saving up for Jade's wedding.

​They brought up how little student loans they have… because my parents helped them. All of them lived on campus at expensive 4 year schools. I lived at home and went first to a (very prestigious, very hard to get into) watchmaking school. I got paid to attend this school… so I paid rent at home. My parents paid for my tools. And I appreciate the help. I really do. But they paid 120-150k each for my siblings... they gave me 7k for tools. But to them it’s equal. When I went back to school on my own I didn’t ask for money and wasn’t offered it. When my brother went back to school they covered EVERYTHING without him even having to ask.

There were many other small moments (comments about cars and other lifestyle choices) but what made me snap was my brother and his wife mentioning their marriage being so great because they do things like spontaneous dates, like the one they had the prior Friday night. The Friday night where my parents called my wife and I last minute to cancel plans they had to eat dinner at our house because they had to watch Chuck's kids because of an "emergency". Turns out that "emergency" was a dinner for Chuck and my SIL at Texas Roadhouse. I had spent HOURS making my grandpa's ziti and meatballs with homemade marinara because its my mom's favorite.

I wanted more than anything to scream at them but instead I got up and left without saying a word and my wife followed me. when my mom called me later to ask why I left I just explained exactly why. I explained the favoritism, the unfairness, and the fact that it doesn't feel like they care about me. She didn't say much and I wasn't really looking for an explanation or an apology in the moment, I just felt like it was self evident but if she really didn't see it I'd spell it out. Evidently at least parts of what I said have been shared with my siblings because now Chuck and Laurie are furious at me and saying I ruined dinner and my mom is upset that I am hurt. They say I'm immature for "keeping score"

AITA?

UPDATE AITA for "keeping score" with my family and ruining dinner?

quote:

So, update time. About a week after that post my wife and I sat down with my parents and cleared the air. As several people suggested I wrote down my thoughts and compiled (to the best of my knowledge) a listing and full accounting of the disparity in what my siblings were given over the years and what I was given. I did actually sit down and do the math and it turns out that while I was at the Technicum I actually paid my parents more in rent than they ever paid for my tools. But the final reckoning came to between ~$370k on the high end (Jade) to ~$190k on the "low" end (Chuck) for how much my parents directly gave to my siblings that they never gave me. Sitting down and seeing the full amount all spelled out like that is probably the angriest I got during this whole mess.

My parents had been aware there were discrepancies but really pushed back on the actual amounts until we sat down and went through each major gift/incident case by case, by which point my dad admitted my reckoning was likely conservative. That was more or less the end of any productive talk that night, my dad just claimed they didn't think it had gotten that bad but wouldn't give any details about how they could have possibly not noticed.

In the interim Chuck and Laurie continued to escalate their anger, continued to call and text me, my parents, and extended family. I have not spoken to either of them directly since and don't expect to any time soon.

Roughly a week after that first sit down my mom and dad asked to meet again. Lots was said but the gist is this: they felt I was doing well and didn't need their help. Basically they thought I would be fine without them. They admitted they probably live outside their means and gave more to my older siblings than they should have and could never have given me that much. They claim the timing of my wedding lined up with probably the most dire of their overspending/lack of saving and that they literally did not have the funds to live up to their promise, especially as they were paying for Jade's tuition, car, and apartment at that time. They have offered money, they have offered to pay for vacations, a car, all kinds of stuff but I think they don't really get it yet. My wife and I don't want their money, but we aren't really sure yet what an ideal resolution to this looks like. At least they have admitted they were unfair and are open to working things out.

My wife and I spent Easter with Jade and her husband and my grandparents, my mom and dad came over in the evening. This seems to be more or less the new normal for now.

quote:

I don’t really have time to address everything but the birthday thing with Jade was addressed in comments on the first post. The short version is she and her husband had been giving Laurie money (and a really size able amount of it it turns out) every year to buy my wife and I tickets to see the Union play. Then, when we inevitably posted pictures of us at games she assumed that at least one of those games was the gift. She even pointed out one of my instagram posts last year explicitly called it a birth gift, I didn’t specify it was my gift from my wife and to be fair the comment Jade left on it at the time in retrospect very much reads like she was glad I was enjoying her gift to me. So the reality is Laurie was just straight up stealing a couple hundred bucks from Jade every year for at least 5 years.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

First, I think? I'd have to ask.

if you have a standard and a move action you're playing 1st edition pathfinder
If you have 3 interchangeable actions then you're playing 2nd edition.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Found an update to an ancient post with an absolute brain genius of a man.
9 months ago
AITAH for rejecting my boyfriends proposal even though I've been dropping hints that i want to married.

quote:

My(26f) and boyfriend (30m) have been dating for three years we don't live together cause we both want to get married first because our parents wouldn't agree to cohabiting before marriage. I've been fairly obvious about wanting to get married and my boyfriend has picked up on it. Last week we went to my great aunt's funeral although i didn't know her very well I was still upset and it was really hard to see how much it hurt my mother. So after the funeral we went to a hall that we rented to cater to the other mourners and to remember her my boyfriend saw this as a chance to propose. This left me mortified and everyone was staring at us for using this to make it about ourselves. I said no told he got angry and walked off saying that i'm the one who wants to get married so i shouldn't care where he proposes he also said that if i truly loved him I would say yes. He's ignoring me right now and won't give me a chance to explain. In any other scenario I would say yes but I didn't think it was the right place or time.I'm wondering if I'm the rear end in a top hat because I rejected him even though I want to get married when I asked my co worker she agreed that what I did was wrong but want some more opinions from people who don't know me.So,AITAH.
Yesterday
UPDATE: AITAH for rejecting my boyfriends proposals even though I was dropping hints that I wanted to get married?

quote:

Alot has happened since my first post.Firstly, me and my boyfriend have since broken up. This was for a multitude of reasons the biggest one being that he cheated on me. My former boyfriend and i had not been living together but I did spend most my time staying at his place as I had a roommate and he never.However when I went to visit him his friend told me that he had been cheating on me and had gotten another girl pregnant.This crushed me cause we had been dating for nearly 4 years.This lead to us breaking up.

When I questioned him about why he had cheated he told me he wasnt the type to commit to anyone despite initially prusing me with the promise that we would be in a committed relationship.This was hard for me to understand as we had been speaking about marriage and the future.

When we used to talk about marriage he would always say that he would never be happy in a marriage were he got proposed to as it would be an insult to his masculinity.Looking back on this I should've realised that he had many noticeable toxic traits.He proposed to me at my aunts funeral which is something I will never understand.When I asked him why he did that he initially claimed it was to make everyone happy but when I pushed him for more information he told me it was to show his lover that I was a bad person.

This is because he was cheating on me with my aunts friends daughter who was at the funeral .So he proposed to me to show that our relationship is over to that girl in order to justify why he was cheating. Even though he knew that I was grieving.

Since we broke up about 3 weeks after the funeral his friend who exposed the affair to me told me that because she was pregnant he had to find away to make her not leave him and chose the funeral to make a public display for her.I havent seen him since the breakup and his friend moved all of my stuff out of the apartment for me so I dont have to see him.

His family are very strict and because he is having a kid out of wedlock they have refused to help him so he has been contacting me for help. I havent not responded nor do intend to respond because I will not lower my self worth to help someone who never truly cared about me.

Since our breakup my life has improved as i can now do the things that he never wanted me to do and I've now realised how lucky i am that we never married.
Op clarifies in the comments that her BF's plan was he knew she'd reject him, so he could act like he was the wounded party and break up with her and prove to his new fling that he was now available.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Slam your mother's face into every single meal she attempts to eat until she gets the message.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

WIBTA for reporting my child's teacher?

Going to need to know whether this is a public or a private school before I can decide whether OP is a nazi.

I wonder how long this teacher has been just upgrading her phone by stealing them from her students?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for refusing to pay for my girlfriend's plane ticket after she decided to stay longer on her trip without me?

quote:

Throwaway bc she knows my reddit.

So, here's the deal. My (28M) girlfriend (27F) of two years and I planned a two-week vacation to Italy. I paid for the flights, hotels—everything, because I make more than she does, and I wanted it to be a stress-free trip for both of us. Everything was great until the last day when she tells me she wants to stay longer to "find herself" and think about our relationship without me. She didn't discuss this with me beforehand, and it completely blindsided me.

I was hurt and told her that if she feels she needs time alone, then she should also be independent financially during this extension of her trip. I said I wouldn’t be paying for her new return ticket whenever she decides to come back. Now, she's upset, calling me unsupportive and selfish, and some of our friends are saying I'm being an a-hole because I left her stranded in a foreign country without financial help.

So, Reddit, AITA for refusing to pay for her new plane ticket home after she chose to extend her trip without any heads-up?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for telling my dad I judge his actions more harshly now that I'm a widowered parent too?

quote:

I (26m) lost my wife, Annie, over a year ago when our two children were only 18 months and 4 years old. She was only 25. I lost my own mom when I was 5 so I have been where my children are and my heart aches for them as well as for myself and for Annie, who so desperately wanted to be here for our kids. She lost her own dad when she was 6 so the reality of history repeating hit her incredibly hard before the end. I vowed to her, to myself and to our children that I would not make the same mistakes my dad and her mom made in the aftermath.

I'm mostly estranged from my dad but after Annie died he reached out to tell me he hoped I understood him better and cut him some slack for everything. I didn't respond to him at the time because I was in the most immediate sense of grief still. Today it's still raw but I'm in therapy to try and find peace in my life.

He reached out to me a few more times and he apologized for his initial message. We met up a few days ago per his request. Once he realized I still wear my wedding ring and once he realized I was still grieving, he tried telling me I needed to move on and start looking for love again. This led to tension in the meeting and I told him to drop it or else. Which is when he started saying he would hope I would see why he remarried so fast after my mom died and why he was so happy with his second wife and why he felt I needed a mother like he was so sure I felt my kids needed. Saying I hated him for being happier and loving his second wife more but I should understand better now. I should understand that life has to move on and wanting to embrace a new person fully is not a bad thing. I'm a widowered parent and that should have opened my eyes and made me regret hating him for so long. I told him it didn't work that way. That it only made me judge his actions more harshly.

He was stunned to hear this. He asked me how I was ever going to find someone else to love me and the kids if I'm hung up on Annie and I told him Annie was the love of my life. I told him my children are the other two loves of my life but in a different way to Annie. It's my job to give them safety, security, love and the best life I can make happen. I told him I would never look my young children in the eye and tell them their mother is dead and they need to get over it and accept a new mother. I will never yell at my children for crying for their mother because it makes the new spouse unhappy. I told him I'm not looking to give them a new mother. I'm looking to give them the best version of the dad they have and the best out of this lovely life we have been given. I told him I will never rub it in their faces the way he did to me that I love someone else way more than I ever loved their mom. I told him I understand grieving and needing to focus on yourself but not hurting your children by trying to erase the parent they love.

He called me an rear end in a top hat and I left. And I wondered since if I was too harsh.

AITA?
Hi son I heard your wife died do you understand how correct I was now?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

mystes posted:

I feel like in some situations where the ex spouse has lots more money maybe there could be legitimate problems (by which I mean affecting the other kids; it's definitely OP's problem if it somehow makes their ex feel inferior which seems like the real issue here anyway) if they are doing lots of expensive stuff for their kid in a way that is very visible to the kid's half sibling, especially if the kids are closer to the same age, in a way where it might be better for them to not do that or something.

But in a case like this where OP's kid is going to be 7 years older than her half sibling and both parents have 50% custody, so OP's kid is going to be with OP and away from her half sibling a lot of the time anyway, and by the time the half sibling is old enough to care about disney, OP's kid will be a teenager, I don't think that really applies.

With such a big age difference and OP's kid being with OP 50% of the time I'm not sure it will even occur to her half sibling to think it's unfair that OP is taking his kid to disney or whatever?

Clearly she should just break up with the new husband and find someone who can support her lifestyle, it clearly worked out the first time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

mystes posted:

Where are you seeing that he said it was an experiment? If he did maybe OP could report him to the IRB too though, that would be fun

quote:

He laughed it off, saying he wanted to see how I would handle stress and pressure.

Either he did this as some kind of experiment in which case it's an ethics board issue or he's just a sadist and shouldn't be in any position of power over anyone ever.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for being honest and telling my daughter that her wedding is a running joke of what not to do if you marry in our family/friend group.

quote:

My daughter got married about a year ago. She spent about 20k on her wedding, it was a wonderful experience for her but for all the guest it really sucked. All the money went to thinks the couple would enjoy.

The reasons it sucked for the guest was due to multiple factors. The biggest ones being that guest has to buy food, drinks, and no entertainment. So people get to the wedding and the ceremony happens. Then they go put into another room after a long day of driving out, don’t get any food/ drink. Most of them were forced to buy overpriced food since they were starving. They didn’t even get any cake since the cake was a fake. Overall not a good guest experience.

Afterwards it was negatively talked about and people were actually quite mad about it. My other daughter is getting married and asked for my help. Her sister offered to help and my other daughter made it clear she doesn’t want her wedding to be anything like hers.

My daughter asked what she meant by that and I was honest with her. That her wedding wasn’t a good experience for guests and it is a running joke at this point with family/friends. I thought she already knew since a lot of people hated her wedding.

This caused an arguement and she called me a jerk by the end. I pointed out all the issues had with her wedding and she thinks I am being cruel.

Edit: the money basically went to her dress, venue and photos. I know her dress was 6k. The venue was pricy and she didn’t get the food package

I was not part of the wedding planning I was having medical issues

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for "being disrespectful" and telling my parents "good luck with that" when they tried to ground me?

quote:

I live at home while going to university. I'm in my final year and I have a job lined up after I graduate.

My parents have been charging me rent since I was 16. I have a small company that makes me about $60,000 a year. I started it in high school. It is one of the reasons I graduated early from high school and why I got attention from recruiters. My parents said that since I was earning adult money I could take in adult responsibilities.

I thought that was fair. So I paid for all my own stuff starting at age 16. Not university. I got a scholarship. And the rent they charged me was minor. $300 a month.

But I basically considered my room to be completely mine after that. I kept it tidy because I like it that way. But they had no say in when I cleaned it. When I did my laundry, other than to not do it at a time when I would disturb the family for example 3 AM. I bought food for myself and I ate when I wanted.

They tried to say I was separating myself from the family but I saw it more as having my own schedule.

This year for spring break I went down to Mexico with friends. My parents were upset because they were hosting a big Easter family get together.

When I got back they said I was behaving badly by not being around for a family gathering. I said it was my last spring break in university and that I was not responsible for their schedule.

They said I was grounded and I laughed and said good luck with that. I went to my room and locked the door. They tried banging on it for my attention but I'm done.

My grandfather came over to talk to me later. He is the one ho helped me get my company started and he is always there for me. He said that I was rude to my parents when they were trying to be there for me. I asked him how much rent he charged my mom when she lived at home. He said it was ridiculous to think he would charge his kids rent. I told him that I had been paying rent for four years.

He went into the house and I herd a fight. When he came out he said that I need to treat my parents with more respect but that since they are my landlords they do not have a say over how I spend my time.

I'm avoiding my parents for now and I'm renting on Airbnb right now until I graduate. I took everything that was important to me and I left $600 for the last two months I had planned on being there.

They keep calling me but I am currently getting ready to move for my new job. I don't have the energy to deal with them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

A Moose posted:

I remember we saw another story about that kind of family. A guy basically just said that his parents would always choose each other over him. They had a kid because they had to but they didn't like him very much and basically just tried to live like they did before they had a kid. The believed they had more of a duty to each other than they did to their kid. They didn't really dislike him enough to abuse him, just do the bare minimum of parenting, and then were surprised when he didn't like them as an adult.

It was something like how the love for a spouse will always be stronger than the love for a child. They would go on multiple month long vacations every year and just let the child be raised by the grandparents.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

another goodie from the last thread
AITA for not opening a Christmas Present?

quote:

I have a mobility/pain disorder. I have rheumatoid arthritis. My fingers curl inward, I have a hard time gripping things, using zippers and buttons. I’ve had this my entire adult life so people are aware I struggle with mobility and pain.

We have a family friend from childhood (he was an adult, we were kids) who would wrap our presents in boxes filled with shredded garbage and wrapped in wire. Once you started opening the gift it made a mess and it would take hours. My mother hated it, my father thought it was hysterical and we’d usually end up getting punished for not being appreciative of the gift. As we got older he would include stuff in the boxes like dead bugs and dirt and once wrapped the whole thing in sharp wire and loose nails, resulting in one of my siblings getting cut and needing to go to urgent care on Christmas Day. This is all about 15/20 years ago. The other problem is that the gifts were usually very nice: electronics, expensive gift cards, event tickets with great seats. But it was debasing and humiliating getting them open. Any holiday or birthday involving this guy was awful.

This person kind of popped back into the periphery again and is dating one of my older cousins (still a huge age difference though). He went all out gifting this year. He wrapped everything normally except my gift. He put the box between two pieces of plywood and screwed and bolted them together, resulting in needing fine motor skills or a saw to get it apart. He poured concrete in certain spots and if you shake it, you can hear broken glass. I didn’t open the gift, despite some cajoling from some of the people who thought it was funny. Later I quietly put it in his car for him to take home.

My cousin and my aunt were furious and saying I’m being TA and ungrateful and that my hands “are fine” and that I need to let it go. They gave me the box back saying I’ll love the gift. My husband tried to open it with tools at home a few days later but couldn’t. We discussed it and threw it out, unopened. Hubs was actually really pissed.

Yesterday my cousin calls me and wanted to know how my husband and I liked the gift, I said we threw it out because we couldn’t get it open. Turns out it was a pretty pricey spa get away package for the both of us this past weekend. She lost her poo poo and demanded I pay them back. The whole thing brought back a lot of really upsetting memories from my childhood and my husband had asked that we go NC with anyone he’s involved with.

I don’t know if I’m TA here, history tells me I am. I just feel gross.

quote:

The Chris my sister went to Urgent care needing 15 stitches was the last time my parents had him over for a holiday. I went with them to the UC and the doc who saw my sister was livid with my mother when she explained it was a “prank that went too far”.

That was one of the matches that lit the powder keg on my parent’s divorce.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for asking my biological mother why I'd help her and her kids?

quote:

My biological mother didn't raise me. She let my dad raise me for the first two years on his own and then he passed away and my maternal grandparents took custody of me like my dad wanted and my grandparents became my parents but raised me to know about the loving dad I had. My grandparents were amazing and I feel lucky that they also loved my dad and respected him enough, despite him not being their son, to make sure I did grow up knowing he had wanted me even though their daughter/my biological mother didn't.

I lost both my grandparents in the last four years. Grandpa died four years ago when I (21M) was 17 and grandma died eight months ago. I inherited the most from my grandparents. My aunts and uncles all inherited a small portion of their estate, my biological mother got smallest amount they could get away with giving her (which was like $5 lol). But I got the family home because I still lived here with grandma and I got a sizable amount of money.

After my grandparents died my aunts and uncles got closer to my biological mother again and they became a family again and met her husband and kids. I wasn't a part of that. I have zero desire to know this woman or her family. She was never my mom. Nothing will change that.

A coupe of months ago she reached out and told me she and her family were struggling and asked for money. I ignored her and asked my aunts and uncles how she found me and they admitted they passed my info along. I told them I didn't like that. They said she's family whether I like it or not and at least I should be interested in helping her kids because they're my siblings.

She asked for money again after that but I still didn't reply. Then last week she contacted me again and said they needed a place to stay and she and her kids really needed my help. I asked her why I would help her and her kids when they're nothing but strangers to me. I told her to stop expecting me to take care of her.

She called me names. Then she told my aunts and uncles and they went crazy on me. They said she's "still my mom" and I said she was a biological mother, a birth mother, but not a mom when it concerned me. They told me she was still my mom and her kids were my siblings and I should be there for them if not for her. They told me I shouldn't be a monster to them when I could help them. I told them if they wanted a relationship they could help her. They told me my question was meant to be nasty and nothing else.

I was also told she was young when she had me and I should understand better... she was 25. She wasn't a teenager.

AITA?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for gatekeeping my recipes from my one upper DIL

quote:

So my DIL has a habit of one upping people, at the beginning I don’t really notice it but it is obvious now. Everyone in the family has something they are good at and it’s like their thing. For example my daughter was really into making pies. One day DIL ( I’ll call her Kelly) asked for the recipes. My daughter gave them and started to bring pies to every family event, kinda kicking my daughter out of her thing. Then pushed for the family to compare them. My daughter wasn’t happy.

The big one which made me really notice what she was doing was when she one upped my youngest. She was 14 at the time and when they all the kids hit high school, they were responsible for getting gifts for events. My youngest wasn’t hiding the fact that she was giving me a knitted scarf for secret Santa. She was 14 and was very obvious about it. The whole family knew.

So on Christmas DIL got me a very nice scarf bonus gift, and gave it to me right after my youngest gave me hers. So that wasn’t okay. I had a conversation with her and she denied doing it, my son also told me he can’t see it.

Every since then more people have been noticing it and even my husband sees it. It has happened to almost every women/girl in the family at this point.

This brings me to the point of this post, I have really good Italian recipes form my mom. I bring them to events. My DIL asked for the recipes and I told her no. This started about why. She accused me on not giving her family recipes since I don’t see her as families and I told her it is due to her behavior. She called me a dick.

My son is also on my rear end about it saying I am gatekeeping recipient since I don’t like her.
"Hey husband look, isn't my storebought scarf way better than that lovely one your sister made?"
"Yeah that rules."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

The correct move here is to just give in and hand over the recipes.

Not the real recipes of course, the absolute worst ones you can find online. Why yes, my pasta sauce is indeed made with tomato soup instead of tomatoes and maple syrup as the secret ingredient. Don’t tell anybody. Oh, you brought it to Thanksgiving this year and people are complaining about the taste? No idea, maybe you over-cooked it :shrug:.

Her only replies in the comments are to someone suggesting she do just that with "oh god no that'd just make everything worse."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for telling my fiancé what his stepmother tried to do after she asked me not to?

quote:

My fiancé Jamie (28m) has a stepmother "Ellen". Jamie isn't close to Ellen or to his dad and this is why she approached me instead of Jamie. Three-ish weeks ago Ellen showed up at our house and asked me if I could help her surprise Jamie with a dance for the two of them at our wedding. She told me she had hoped he would ask or that he would honor her as mother of the groom in some way but as more time passed and she heard nothing from him about the wedding, she had realized he wasn't planning to dance with her or make her feel special. She told me she loved him since he was 3 years old (when she first met him) and becoming his mom officially had meant so much to her but he had never acknowledged her as the sole mother figure since he was 5, and she felt like it was only right and fair that on his wedding day that happen.

For context: Jamie's parents divorced when he was 1, his dad met Ellen when Jamie was 3 and married when he was 5. Jamie's mom died just three months after the wedding and Jamie moved in with his dad and Ellen full time.

I knew Jamie would hate it and would never agree to dance with Ellen. She acknowledged as much and she told me how much it broke her heart that he always rejected and denied her as his mother. So she wanted to do something where he wouldn't say no and they could have a moment and she could have that mother/son moment he had refused to give her his whole life. She told me how much it hurt her that Jamie never returned any love or affection for her and disliked her in a way that stung worse than anything because she always tried to give him the love and affection and mothering he needed and nothing she did was good enough and she always lived in the shadows of his mom. I could see how upset it made her. But I still said no. I knew Jamie wouldn't want to and that was enough for me. She tried to convince me but couldn't and she asked me not to say anything. I didn't agree or disagree. I didn't want a fight with her. But I did tell Jamie.

Jamie wasn't happy but he said nothing at first. Then Ellen asked him directly and after telling her no in the clearest way possible, he also read her the riot act for going behind his back and trying to force this on him via me. And of course she was pissed that I told Jamie. She accused me of making things worse between them. Jamie told her I had done nothing wrong and that supporting him was not making things worse, but her refusal to accept that he will never ever see her as his mom is doing a good enough job of that.

She sent me a text a few hours after the confrontation and she told me I knew it would make things worse and I told him anyway which made me untrustworthy and a troublemaker. I blocked her after showing Jamie the text.

AITA?
Curses, my perfect scheme is ruined!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Here, have a good step mother and a terrible father.
AITA for "abandoning" my step daughter?

quote:

Hello all. I (43 F) have been married to my husband, George, (45M) for about a year now, and it's been wonderful! Except for one thing. His daughter, Rachel, (15F) can't stand me.

Ever since we got married, George has been pushing "family trips" and "quality time" between me and Rachel. I have no problem with it on paper, but Rachel does. George and Rachel have gotten into many an argument over the fact that Rachel doesn't like me or want a relationship with me. Rachel says I'm not her mom, will never be, and that she won't pretend I am.

I've been conflicted on what to do. On one hand, George is Rachel's parent, not me, so I don't really get a say in what rules he puts on her. On the other hand, I hate seeing Rachel so miserable every time we go out on a girls trip or are sent for bonding time by George.

So I made a decision. I sat George down and explained I wasn't comfortable with these family trips anymore. I explained that Rachel would always have a place in our home (this is where her dad lives, after all, she belongs here as much as i do), and that of course I'd be there if she asked to spend time together, needed something, or if there was an emergency and I had to take care of her. But I wouldn't be going on these outings anymore because I was uncomfortable with how upset they were making Rachel.

George was pissed. He accused me of undermining his parenting decisions and abandoning Rachel by refusing to fight for our family. I replied that I wasn't part of Rachel's family! She doesn't like me! She's made it clear I'll never be her mother! So I didn't see the point in forcing her to have "mommy-daughter spa days" and whatever else with me against her will!

George told me I needed to reevaluate my priorities if I wanted to stay together and accused me of wanting to cut his daughter out of our family before storming out. I'm gutted. Of course I don't want to cut Rachel out of our lives or family! She's George's daughter, I know she'll always come first to him, and I'd never want to sabotage their relationship or hurt her! But that's why I don't want to keep forcing a bond between us! Because that's hurting her and putting a wedge between them!

I don't know. Did I overstep? Am I really hurting Rachel or our family by putting my foot down here? I love George, and I care about Rachel, so whatever the judgment is, I'll accept it. I just want to do what's best for everyone!

EDIT: Briefly editing to ask people to please please not be rude to Rachel. Most people here have been supportive of both her and me, which I appreciate, but a few people have called her a brat and similar such things. Rachel is generally well behaved and hasn't done anything drastic or overly disruptive, she's just a kid who's a bit standoffish and sarcastic sometimes because she's hurting over her parents divorce and not seeing George enough.

EDIT/UPDATE:

Okay. A lot of you gave the advice that I should talk to Rachel so we can present a united front to George and show that neither of us wanted this. I sat Rachel down this morning and gently broached the subject with her.

I explained that I knew she wasn't looking for a mom, that she already had one, and that was okay. I told her that I didn't need her to see me as a mother, or even like me. She was a smart and well behaved kid and she deserved to have a say in who she wants a relationship with. I told her that I was with her 100% in what she wanted, and that we could talk to George together, because I was going to follow her lead no matter what.

Rachel got kinda quiet for a minute and then her face just...crumbled. She told me she didn't hate me at all, that I was nice to her and seemed interested in her life. The real problem was, in her words, that she wished her parents were too.

I'll be honest, that broke my heart. I had to try very hard not to tear up in front of her, because this was the first time she'd opened up to me or given any indication she even liked me at all, and I didn't want to ruin that by putting my emotions first. I did my best to comfort her, and promised Rachel that I was here for her in any way she needed.

I'm going to have a talk with George. First by myself (rachel is scared to talk to him), and then potentially with Rachel so she can speak for herself, if George is receptive. I'm also going to push George to get therapy (individual and also couples, potentially with rachel too if she wants to). More than anything, I'll keep trying to be there for Rachel. I know I'm not her mom, and I'm not expecting her to suddenly start acting like we're best friends. But I know now that my efforts are appreciated by her, and that only makes me more determined to advocate for and support her however she's comfortable with.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Scathach posted:

Yeah holy loving poo poo. That's like the lowest bar on the planet. And she was FIVE minutes away, even if she thought it was a prank or something she could have gone back to partying after checking on him. It would be the smallest inconvenience if it was nothing.

Some geniuses on Reddit are bending over backwards to make him the rear end in a top hat because he pulled a "made you look" gag on her once and therefore she can never trust him again and clearly thought he was just joking now. Also she apologized and that means he has to take her back unconditionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I mean ultimately the question is moot. He can never trust her now. Even if he says he does it's going to be living in the back of his mind for the rest of their relationship. He knows how important he is and it's less important than her and her friends.