Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What do you think the little squares are for?

They're for holding wonderful bites of peanut butter/nutella, the peak topping(s) (either together or separately, depending on the type of waffle) for waffles. Or I'm just a heathen in denial because I don't really like using honey as a topping generally (love cooking with it though, maybe that redeems me).

Also I had a hell of a time catching back up; gave up on catching up on the old thread, but I've mostly enjoyed the new one so far! Glad to know that the trend of weddings bringing out the weirdest poo poo in people is still going strong.

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

This is a good example of why I think you should live with someone before getting married.

Agreed, my partner and I have an agreement that we're not even allowed to formally propose until we've cohabitated for a year. That and we need time to save up money for even the proposal(s), let alone a wedding. It's absolutely best to get these growing pains out of the way now when marriage is a "future goal" because it also is probably better on one's psyche. "We're working on building the foundation for a long-term relationship like a marriage" sort of thing, instead of going "oh poo poo, what did I get myself into?" every time a lifestyle difference comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018
Yeah, degenerate has been used for a very long time, and in fact was used far more in the 1800s than the 1900s and 2000s (up to 2019, that's where the data google provides stops for word usage).

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=degenerate&year_start=1500&year_end=2019&corpus=en-2019&smoothing=3

Grain of salt and all that. I do remember seeing it a lot when I would read about Ancient Rome, as there were historians/writers/etc who tried to blame the entire collapse on "degenerates" even before Nazi's and their successors did.

Saying "degen" is a red flag for me, but not an automatic issue by itself. It's been used so much by bad actors that it is legitimately starting to leak into the mainstream again. It was by no means invented by internet neo-Nazis. Searching for it in the same Ngram source as above shows that it spiked far higher in the 1950s than it did in even 2019. Not saying that it isn't used as a dogwhistle, of course, just the opposite. It becoming more mainstream means that it is an easier dogwhistle to use in combination with other whistles.

Still a lovely thing to call your kids' friends, regardless. If you must pass judgement on them, just call them a bad influence and move on.

Also thanks for the reminder that I need to properly watch Letterkenny.

edit: I type slow, sorry to beat the dead horse.

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That one's easy: "Every state other than mine is poo poo". Unless you're from Ohio or Alabama, in which case it's "Get me the hell out of here"

As a queer AFAB person that has spent the vast majority of her life in Ohio, I can confirm that one. There's endless jokes about how lovely and/or boring Ohio is, and you can tell that they're made by actual Ohioans instead of outsiders like other states' jokes. Dunno about Alabama, I'd believe either way.

Mx. posted:

My boyfriend said he’d sleep with another girl for his pledging process

...Isn't this sort of hazing illegal? Not that it stops frats from trying it, or whatever, but that's full-on sexual coercion, right?

Regardless, she should dump him.

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

DreamingofRoses posted:

I think part of why she’s so mad about it because her parents made her move her wedding date because it fell on her aunt’s birthday years before.

It was in the comments, I went and found it.

quote:

When I was planning my wedding, my fiancé and I at the time really wanted to get married on June 9. My parents told us that we couldn’t have our wedding that day because it was my aunt’s birthday. Yet my birthday was perfectly acceptable for a funeral…

Yeah. The basic gist of "The funeral is on my birthday" by itself is dumb and childish to at least some degree, I agree. But this isn't really about the funeral or the birthday. It's about the OP always being an afterthought at best and her family expecting her to bend over backwards to do everything to support them while not even acknowledging the pain it can cause her to be said afterthought.

OP is insufferable about it in the post at least, and I understand feeling like its a super dumb hill to die on. But it's not the birthday funeral that is the problem here. It's the pattern of behavior from the family. Her mother won't even acknowledge that she's hurt and that it's okay to feel hurt by it. Adults can be hurt by things, accept that pain, and then do what needs done anyway, but OP was never taught that, apparently. OP needs to sever and get therapy, because she is not coping well at all. But, she's not the real problem here, and neither is the funeral date.

Whorelord posted:

AITAH for eliminating a rattle snake after it threatened my niece and nephew?

Ominous Jazz posted:

instinct to look very cool*

Animal abuse isn't cool. I thought we weren't sharing animal murder stories? Or am I genuinely being over-sensitive?

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Ominous Jazz posted:

oh lemme be clear this dude sucks and killed an animal because he wanted to, not because it posed danger. he got to do violence and he's mad he's not being celebrated for it

Ah, I misread, apologies.

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Bifner McDoogle posted:

This is very accurate, if he's 'pre-gaming' for a goddamn wedding he has a bad relationship with alchohol, period. Really, 'I was pre-gaming for a wedding' is the kind of phrase that should inspire self-relection even if you spend most of your time stone sober.

Not to mention, isn't the point of the wedding the *people*? Shouldn't he care more about spending time celebrating with a friend on their big day? Someone he's supposed to love and cherish enough to go to said wedding? Instead of wanting an excuse to party and get drunk with his wife? Having kids is no excuse, plenty of adults with kids find a way to have a date night without making it their friends' problems, let alone on said friends' weddings.

OP is the only rear end in a top hat here. Insisting that you be told if there's alcohol or not at any party and only getting pissy when it's said to be dry is the real silly thing to do. If you're used to making all your family events dry, you probably just forget to mention it on the public invites, if only because mentioning it can be triggering to recovering alcoholics.

They're not assholes for wanting to drink, they're assholes for assuming that someone would provide the exact party scenario they wanted, and getting pissy/entitled when they didn't. The wedding couple didn't expect the OP to pay for all those things to attend their wedding.

Would it be nice to state that a family event is dry? Yes. Is it rear end in a top hat behavior to not make it explicit on documentation? Not automatically, especially when it wasn't even like they were expecting the guests to pick between the wedding and say New Years or some other holiday associated with alcohol. It wasn't even a long wedding.

The fact that OP stated that they probably would not have shown up at all if they knew it was dry is telling. Do you love your friend? Or just the excuse to get drunk?

Goddamned weddings, man.

Edit: Wanting a drink is fine, its the entitlement that is the problem. If it's such a dealbreaker for you if the wedding is dry, ask. If it's such a dealbreaker if the wedding is wet, ask. Don't assume, some cultures/religions forbid alcohol at all!

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

InediblePenguin posted:

it's a good way to do classroom bullying against the minors in your care, too, and sometimes THAT'S the intention

I'm slow/late, but this literally triggered a memory from when my grandmother pulled me out of the public elementary school and home-schooled me the rest of the year. I had to write one of those essays of the "something you did over break" sort, so I wrote about the only vaguely interesting thing that happened: I went to a friend's house and we played several games together, including putting on a puppet show for her sister. My grandmother literally screamed at me for an hour about how pathetic my essay was and degraded every little thing I'd described and how stupid it was and how no one wanted to read about that. She then wrote her own version, describing things that I never would have done with a friend at all, let alone at that age, and told me that this was how I was supposed to write it. Not how or why, just that what I wrote was stupid and wrong, that what she did was the only right answer, and it was my fault that I didn't magically know what she considered right on my own.

I don't expect the exact type of scenario to really be possible in public schooling, but we've already seen just from this conversation how teachers can abuse these prompts to bully their students. There are better ways to monitor kids to look for home abuse than to risk subjecting them to abuse from their teachers too. Public schools with teachers that bully their students don't typically have very good counselors looking out for the kids, in my experience, anyway

Yes, I'll have a number 5 with the crinkle fries and a coke, please.

Evilreaver posted:

When I was in high school I had an essay on one of those big regents exams that was supposed to be five paragraphs long: "a foreign exchange student has come to your town how do you give them a tour"

I spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out what to do in my stupid town, before writing "there is nothing to do in [town]" and just resigned myself to getting a zero on that section (I lived in a fairly well off suburb, but if you wanted to do anything it was 30 minutes to the city)

I got full credit

Bless your teacher. The high school I graduated from was for three rural towns combined, and most of the region was corn. If our school got that prompt, the teacher would have died of boredom from reading "go to the home game for football" sixty times. Explains a bit why people get weird about high-school football or hunting in those rural communities; even if you're a childless adult, what else is there to even do without driving an hour out? Even going to Walmart took 30 minutes if you were lucky!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Upside in the comments, at least

Godspeed & anxiously awaiting more updates

Love to see it. gently caress "pranksters" that are really just bullies looking for a justification. Press charges for the theft. The packing peanuts could also cause damage depending on the car and how they stuffed the car with them, they could get stuck up in vents or whatnot.

If the person you're "pranking" isn't laughing with you after you reveal the prank, then it wasn't a prank, you're just a bully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

FMguru posted:

AITA for sending a price sheet to my family after not being invited to my half sister's wedding?

You're too evil and non-Christian to be in our house or to even be invited to our wedding. But, make us a cake for free and we'll eat that because there's no way that would be tainted by your evil un-Christian-ness.

:confused: