Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Serene Dragon posted:

Since you seem to have a loving bee in your bonnet about this, I'll specify that my mum was a teacher at a public school for nearly 40 years, retired 4 years ago. You know what she hated most about her job? Her loving lovely coworkers, a lot of whom were bullies who enjoyed having power over children and, in the case of some heads of departments, power over other teachers too.

Teaching is a profession that attracts bullies as well as those who want to do good.

It's this. Especially once you add in ND, it just sets something off in some teachers, for some reason it's blood in the water for them

Incidentally as a kid I had one of my core primary school teachers (and a swim coach too!) later confess to my mum that I reminded them of their dead child and that's why they were so "intense" with me. I'm sure it also didn't help that I was undiagnosed ND and had a very emotionally-problematic home life, but I still find it odd that it happened twice, and that nothing ever came out of it. IIRC it was like, things escalated until there were some serious discussions, the teacher and coach confessed the reason for their behaviour, and then I guess mum was like "oh that makes sense, I'm sorry for your loss" ?? Classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Shanghaied posted:

Lmao, okay you went to university. As someone who teaches at an university, I can tell you there's no shortage of "goofball idiots" at universities (even among faculty and staff lol), so you can drop your loving attitude lol. A lot of good your little bachelor's degree did you, still couldn't solve a loving high school physics problem.

It's not a uni thing, it's an insecurity thing. They want to find people they can feel superior to, and "he didn't go to uni" is just an arbitrary justification

Probably self conscious about not knowing the answer, too

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Kinda deceptive imo for these package deal dudes to not bring their better halves along on dates. Like how long were you planning to hide your emotionally conjoined mother

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Tarezax posted:

In fact it's good sportsmanship in every competitive board game I know of to resign if you see that you have no hope of winning

It's also very poor sportsmanship to be an incredibly ungraceful winner but given the multiple edits I'm guessing this guy is just generally a poor sport all round, "win" or lose

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

It's not just family stuff, it happens with friend group, gaming groups, coworkers, and so on. Someone gets away with throwing their weight around and everyone in the group is used to it and doesn't want to rock the boat, then when one person pushes back everyone says 'oh yeah, I don't have to keep coddling this jerk' or 'well, now it's not my fault if things start to blow up'.

It's true, but I'd say the more common result is for the "peace-keepers" (i.e. enablers) who've spent many years successfully redirecting the toxic person's abuse towards the designated victim will pool and redouble their efforts to harass the victim into remaining such so that the rest don't become collateral for the bully/narcissist's frustration. A mate is going through this now with her aunt following the death of her grandfather, who played the role of father and kind of kept the aunt in line until now. My mate is fed up and going for a combination of standing up to the bully and grey rocking her, and thankfully the grandfather was savvy enough to organise the will to minimise the aunt's legal potential for bulldozer-level shenanigans, but so far the rest of the family is still in appeasement mode. It's always lovely when the straw that breaks the camel's back has the family come together and finally stand up to the self-appointed tyrant, but as far as I can tell, it seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Most people tend to have to go it alone when they stand up to a bully like that - the idea seems to be, "you've spent years/decades being our sacrificial lamb, why would you selfishly decide now to rock the boat and force us to deal with the monster we've created?" and they calculate that it's easier to just bully the victim back into submission.. which often works, sadly

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

FMguru posted:

They famously turned Elon Musk away at the door, and guess who had a big pissbaby meltdown about that?

He was then let into KitKat with his bodyguards, which is a great look for them. A shining beacon for the LGBTQI+ community (which apparently now stands for Losers, Gentrifiers, Billionaires, Transphobes, Q-Anons, and Incels, I guess)

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

op saw all the cool kids talking about "rimming" and thought that's what they meant

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Joint finances: whose turn is it to buy the weed

I can't imagine pooling all my money with a partner or demanding access to theirs, part of being in a healthy relationship is waking up and deciding every day to be in a relationship with the other person, not because you have to or because it would hurt/cost so much to not be with them, and money and financial stability is a big part of that

Every person needs a gently caress off fund and the capacity and confidence to support themself if everything goes tits up, not because you anticipate or fear it specifically, but because it's a big part of healthy dynamics. Two individuals choosing again and again of their own free will to share their life and love, and so on and so forth. Which in my opinion leads to greater security in a relationship - knowing that the other person COULD live and be happy without you, but they choose you because they, in full functional ownership of their own poo poo, want it

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Halloween Jack posted:

If your rectum looks like that, please go to a hospital immediately. If you can't drive, text your girlfriend and tell her that your butthole hurts.

My rectum is ribbed with teeth, for nobody's pleasure

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Life hack: if you're ever on trial, tell the judge and prosecutor that you're best friends with them. They will then have to stick by you no matter what you do, cos that's what best friends are for. Live a life free of consequences, just as you deserve!

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Kazinsal posted:

Every time I catch up on this thread I feel slightly less awful about being single.

/r/relationship_advice: help! im in an abusive relationship with myself. no, i will not break up with me

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Cythereal posted:

A friend (24M) of mine (23M) apparently lied and told someone we slept together. Now everyone is congratulating me for coming out of the closet, and they think I am just lying because I am ashamed when I tell them I am not gay. The guy who lied refuses to tell the truth.

Going theory is that the guy lied about them having sex to cover for the doing cocaine thing.

Seems odd for everyone full stop to not believe him, if it's not fake and they're not actually manifesting homophobic vibes then I don't get how you couldn't just say "I dunno wtf he's thinking or why he said that, we went upstairs to do some coke and that's it" and then just cut out anybody who refuses to believe you or attacks you for denying it

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

OP could have thrifted that poo poo for $3.50 and the SIL would still be an absolute psycho

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Honey there's a foot rub station at the local anime convention, I know how much you love charitable works so I signed you up to volunteer! Don't worry, I'll take our kid fishing

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Like 2/3 of all the names in the western hemisphere are in the bible, what an odd reaction

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like a lot of these Cunning Plans seem to revolve around the assumption that everyone else involved is also an idiot drama elemental looking for an excuse to go off like a roman candle at the first provocation, and stall at any other reaction, like being remotely reasonable.

not necessarily, sometimes they're just super manipulative or even straight up sociopathic!

you just reminded me -- years ago i was out with a couple work colleagues and one of them was venting about how she loves her current boyfriend, but misses sex with her ex boyfriend. then explains in careful detail over like 10 minutes how he's coming here soon on holiday, and so she's going to convince him to move to our city for her so they can gently caress, meanwhile she'll work on convincing her current boyfriend to open up their relationship because she knows he loves her and won't sleep with other people and she knows exactly how to manipulate him etc to make that happen, so she can still hook up with the ex and i guess anybody else she's had her eye on

i just stare at her and go "holy poo poo, [name]. next girlfriend i get i'm going to introduce you to them, and if they like you, i'm breaking up with them immediately". i havent talked to her since, and avoided her when we met at a festival later on, but im hoping she was just engaging in idle horny fantasies, cos the way she was describing the exact methods she'd use to manipulate her loving boyfriend was cooold

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Biplane posted:

HUGE lmao at some HR ghoul calling someone else's job fake

HR woman: my very close friend, who i care for deeply, is a pitiable wretch, a charity case that i am overwhelmingly superior to

the friend: since you bring it up, im actually doing pretty good

HR woman: how dare you victimise me

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

cult_hero posted:

Have we considered that they're just an PC from a 90's point and click adventure?

He tried "use" on the "hose" but that wasn't right.

code:

> use hose
You need to turn it on first.

> turn on hose 
You stroke the hose, but it doesn't seem interested.

> quit
You don't know how to do that, either.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Shanghaied posted:

The post does highlight something that's been at the back of my mind for a while - what's the point of using fake first names on AITA? It doesn't matter to random redditors if the names are real, they are just names. As for the people involved, if they don't read AITA then it doesn't matter if the names are real, they are not gonna know that you posted about them in any case. And if they read AITA then they're going know that you posted, fakes names or not, because the situations are extremely specific.

I think the most egregious is when they use letters and just expect you to memorise that poo poo like it's a test for high school, especially when half of the info dump is absolutely irrelevant

My (19f) boyfriend (19m) L's best friend S (18f) has two sisters K (22f) and M (23f). K is in college and has a boyfriend P (25m). The other day K, M and P were at S's house with L, and he invited me over as well. It's 14km from my house to S's house, if I normally travel at 5km/h but there's a 20km/h headwind and the house is travelling at a 30 degree angle from me at 2km/h, how many apples should I bring for the trip, assuming I eat 1.5 apples every 4 minutes?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Shanghaied posted:

I need to know you drag coefficient Cd.

AITA? Spoiled students keep accusing me of "missing information"

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Wicked Them Beats posted:

It reads to me like he's repeatedly just saying "no, I'm fine, thanks," which ends the current interaction but doesn't tell the person making the recommendation that you want them to never make a recommendation again. He needed to actually say "I don't want input on my eating choices," but instead he politely deflected.

yeah, it's this. there are a whole bunch of steps between what he'd already tried and his outburst, and the other side being insufferable doesn't mean it's reasonable to skip all of them and go straight to a temper tantrum

op doesn't know how to stand up for himself or communicate his boundaries and somehow thinks a reasonable response to unreasonable behaviour is to bottle up your frustration til it boils over, then explode violently at the next arbitrary trigger. good one

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

It is simply impossible to navigate other people's annoying behaviour and social blindness, therefore I have the right to act like an angry toddler. Going from 2km/h to 200km/h is perfectly justifiable, I will not be taking questions because I am utterly unequipped to handle them

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

house of the dad posted:

There's a pretty big difference between something being justifiable and understandable. I don't see anybody saying that his reaction was a good one or that it was the right thing to do, but I think most people understand something minor slowly driving you nuts until you eventually pop.

that's why the answer is ESH though

the wife and family for being insufferably annoying, and the OP for having the emotional self-control and social communication skills of a child

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I remember as a kid when the vending machine outside the local supermarket swapped from coke to LA Ice or something, like a cheap version of Pepsi. It didn't cost much (or any?) less than what was there before though so I can only imagine some soft drink baron eventually managed to put an extra storey on their mega-yacht thanks to kids like me

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Whorelord posted:

The Ferrari museum in Modena is surprisingly good btw and I say that as someone whose interest in cars stretches as far as watching old episodes of Top Gear when I'm hungover.

I didn't know Modena had poo poo in it, about ten years ago my boss at the time moved the company from Rome to Modena cos everything was cheaper there and was trying to convince me to move up as well. I went up once to say hi and the place did not spark joy

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

AceClown posted:

I get that too, what stands out to me from all the similar stories like this one is that at no point does the OP ever mention that they have ever, you know, actually ASKED for anything. You normally see something like "I asked for a car and dad said that money was tight but then a new Porche showed up for my sister and I was called a brat for being upset" type things.

I don't come from a family where the kids were getting gifted cars or whatever so I don't know how normal that is, I would have been ecstatic if someone gave me a car, let alone one that was half my age, even from a smoker. But it's still lovely parenting to treat one kid like a princess and the other one like an afterthought, and "oh but you were always so quiet and never asked for anything, we always figured you preferred taking care of yourself" is a very common excuse for bad parents when they finally get called out on that

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Right but THIS time everyone who's on the wrong side will be convinced and we'll have settled the argument.

I'm a big fan of Ben Shapiro's philosophy: wet wedding, bone dry wedding night

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I feel like teachers should be more clear about the purpose of the exercise - it would have cost nothing to say "write about what you did during the summer break, and if you can't think of anything or had a bad break where nothing happened, imagine what an average kid your age might get up to. I don't want fantasy fiction or an itemised list, the point is to practise [such and such a skill]".

To be honest I don't get what the exact point of it is or why a fantasy creative writing submission would warrant such a poor score, it sounds like a filler task that the teacher is taking way too seriously (out of spite? arbitrarily hating this kid?) so I'm going to say probably they're an arsehole as well

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Midnight Voyager posted:

But that's lovely to do as well. Because if a kid had a break experience of "well, as usual, my mom screamed at me and locked me in a closet", they're still gonna feel loving poo poo about that assignment. It may feel even worse when to just pretend and write what a kid with a nice life might have done.

I'm just saying that if they were determined to go ahead with that assignment, they should be more explicit about what the purpose is (especially if it's graded? And graded so strictly??) and what leeway the student has.

Tbh I think unless you're a competent and motivated counsellor, most teachers should probably just try to stay as much out of their students home lives as possible. There's no easy way of talking about that topic without bringing up a lot of unpleasant triggers and most teachers are not capable of handling it in a healthy and constructive way.. hell, a lot of teachers aren't capable of handling school life in a healthy and constructive way full stop

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

S40CheckingAccount posted:

My god. I hate every part of this. The first thing we did in 11th grade english was just write a sampler for the teacher: an essay on whether we preferred M&Ms or Skittles. I had some trouble stretching "I like chocolate" to an entire page. In subsequent years, I've been wishing I had had the persipacity to just make something up. I wish that someone had told me in fifth grade "It's not truth-telling class, it's English class, and as long as your nonsense is in English it counts". My life would have dramatically improved. Then comes this story, and calls into question all my thoughts that life could have been better.

Acid vat for both adults.

There's a lot people could do differently in high school if they had the knowledge and hormonal neurochemistry of full grown adults, but "magically transform a number of teachers from psychotic bullies into normal people" is absolutely not one of them

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Maybe he has a twin brother, did you ever think of that!?

It happens!

I went for a job interview at a sister company once and a guy opens the door, I'd met him a few times before, he's a mate of my mate, even had work drinks etc with him on the terrace a couple weeks prior. I'm like oh thanks man and I go to walk in but he blocks me and kind of aggressively demands to know what I want

I'm thinking, wow alright, that's pretty rude, weird but whatever. I explain I'm there for a job interview and go past, and only find out later that there are identical twins working at the same small-ish company and I'd only ever met one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

AceClown posted:

no, I'm sorry, people in the history of humanity have never lied or made poo poo up to get laid, you're the first, congratulations

holy poo poo is that true