Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bifner McDoogle posted:

I don't drink anymore (former alcoholic) and while this dude is a petty shithead and a bad friend I can't peg him as an alcoholic because his attitude was that this wedding would be a rare chance to have a night out with the wife and drink for the first time in God knows how long since he's got kids.

I kind of think this guy is worse than an alcoholic to be honest - he just straght up expects his freinds wedding to double as a party and tried to bill the friend because the 'party' didn't meet his standards. Alchoholics have an illness but this shithead is just sick (derogatory).
Yeah, you don't have to be an alcoholic to be a dysfunctional drinker. If you don't drink often but can't even imagine not getting completely wasted when you do, it's a problem.

He doesn't say that he drinks rarely, though. Just that it's a rare occasion for him to spend the night out with his wife getting wasted. Which is normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

FMguru posted:

There were updates, much of which were abuse-specific and don't need to be reposted here (stepdad abused OP's husband, MIL looked the other way, he has a lot of anger about that for some reason), but husband decided to stay with OP:

quote:

He said he did consider divorce over this, but pretty bluntly said that he thinks my actions were out of stupidity rather than malice, and he wants to work things out.
OP has no idea just how lucky she is.
This is exactly what I thought it was, and I couldn't agree more.

On the other hand, husband could have just said "it's about abuse, stop asking please" and she might have left well-enough alone. Some people just don't understand that this is the reality for some kids growing up. I hate that I know about some of the horrible poo poo out there.

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.
Meanwhile, I'm sitting here wondering why they need to get a hotel for a wedding only 45 min away.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

atomicdream posted:

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here wondering why they need to get a hotel for a wedding only 45 min away.
They were planning on getting so stumbling falling-down drunk (and possibly horny) that they wanted to crash on site and not have to deal with a cab/uber in that condition.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, you don't have to be an alcoholic to be a dysfunctional drinker. If you don't drink often but can't even imagine not getting completely wasted when you do, it's a problem.

He doesn't say that he drinks rarely, though. Just that it's a rare occasion for him to spend the night out with his wife getting wasted. Which is normal.

This is very accurate, if he's 'pre-gaming' for a goddamn wedding he has a bad relationship with alchohol, period. Really, 'I was pre-gaming for a wedding' is the kind of phrase that should inspire self-relection even if you spend most of your time stone sober.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

wheatpuppy posted:

AITA for telling my coworker that her clothes were inappropriate for the office?

I can't imagine someone writing that out and not coming away thinking they were being an rear end in a top hat. The rear end in a top hat tone is just dripping from their writing style.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bifner McDoogle posted:

This is very accurate, if he's 'pre-gaming' for a goddamn wedding he has a bad relationship with alchohol, period. Really, 'I was pre-gaming for a wedding' is the kind of phrase that should inspire self-relection even if you spend most of your time stone sober.
Yea, self reflection like "where can I get a drink, and who is coming with me??"

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Whorelord posted:

AITAH for eliminating a rattle snake after it threatened my niece and nephew?

Posted by Reddit user "Snakemaster2002"

quote:

I felt like kind of a hero.

Yeah this guy can go and get hosed.

Ex and sister at least called him out on it but what a piece of poo poo to go hunt out an animal that's harming no one and kill it in order to feel like a big man.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

This is exactly what I thought it was, and I couldn't agree more.

On the other hand, husband could have just said "it's about abuse, stop asking please" and she might have left well-enough alone. Some people just don't understand that this is the reality for some kids growing up. I hate that I know about some of the horrible poo poo out there.

Bullshit, you don't have to explain yourself to anyone when it comes to going no contact with a family member.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The only thing more insufferable than dry weddings are the weird, puritan, neo-prohibitionist types who are convinced that anyone who enjoys drinking at parties is an alcoholic.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, and this same exact argument happens every time a dry wedding is mentioned.

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Not to mention, isn't the point of the wedding the *people*? Shouldn't he care more about spending time celebrating with a friend on their big day? Someone he's supposed to love and cherish enough to go to said wedding? Instead of wanting an excuse to party and get drunk with his wife? Having kids is no excuse, plenty of adults with kids find a way to have a date night without making it their friends' problems, let alone on said friends' weddings.

OP is the only rear end in a top hat here. Insisting that you be told if there's alcohol or not at any party and only getting pissy when it's said to be dry is the real silly thing to do. If you're used to making all your family events dry, you probably just forget to mention it on the public invites, if only because mentioning it can be triggering to recovering alcoholics.

They're not assholes for wanting to drink, they're assholes for assuming that someone would provide the exact party scenario they wanted, and getting pissy/entitled when they didn't. The wedding couple didn't expect the OP to pay for all those things to attend their wedding.

Would it be nice to state that a family event is dry? Yes. Is it rear end in a top hat behavior to not make it explicit on documentation? Not automatically, especially when it wasn't even like they were expecting the guests to pick between the wedding and say New Years or some other holiday associated with alcohol. It wasn't even a long wedding.

The fact that OP stated that they probably would not have shown up at all if they knew it was dry is telling. Do you love your friend? Or just the excuse to get drunk?

Goddamned weddings, man.

Edit: Wanting a drink is fine, its the entitlement that is the problem. If it's such a dealbreaker for you if the wedding is dry, ask. If it's such a dealbreaker if the wedding is wet, ask. Don't assume, some cultures/religions forbid alcohol at all!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Stoner Sloth posted:

Ex and sister at least called him out on it but what a piece of poo poo to go hunt out an animal that's harming no one and kill it in order to feel like a big man.

Yeah, that's a terrible one, but based on the comments I think they're just trying to rile people up. I'll usually leave it be if I think a story's fake, but at least for this one, that means that I don't think a snake was actually bludgeoned to death.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Stoner Sloth posted:

50 feet off the drat trail. Don’t go off the loving trails!!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

On the other hand, husband could have just said "it's about abuse, stop asking please" and she might have left well-enough alone.
Look I'm sorry but this kind of criticism drives me absolutely crazy. Why is it OP's husband's responsibility to make absolutely sure that there's no conceivable way his feelings could be misinterpreted by an utterly clueless loving idiot?

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

The water to wine story in the Bible was actually assholes trying to pull a fast one and have a dry wedding. Fortunately Jesus performed a miracle and saved the day!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA for sending a venmo request for babysitter, hotel and uber reimbursement after a dry wedding?

He's an rear end in a top hat for not using his brain.

I had the same wedding experience and a lot of the guests were muttering, "WTF". The couple were most definitely drinkers.
But instead of being a bitch about it a few of our cousins got together, pooled some cash, and sent two of us out to the nearest liquor store. Left the beer and wine coolers in the car, slammed a couple, then spread the word that if you wanted a drink to go out to our car. Pairs of people were discreetly stepping out for a few minutes for the rest of the night.

The music and dancing was very good though. Fun.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

Look I'm sorry but this kind of criticism drives me absolutely crazy. Why is it OP's husband's responsibility to make absolutely sure that there's no conceivable way his feelings could be misinterpreted by an utterly clueless loving idiot?
Also, there's every reason to believe that OP wouldn't take "it was abuse, stop asking" as the end of the matter. It would just fire up her curiosity even higher and she'd go full Nancy Drew on him. Maybe she'd reach out to his stepdad, see what his side of the story sounds like!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Internetjack posted:

He's an rear end in a top hat for not using his brain.

I had the same wedding experience and a lot of the guests were muttering, "WTF". The couple were most definitely drinkers.
But instead of being a bitch about it a few of our cousins got together, pooled some cash, and sent two of us out to the nearest liquor store. Left the beer and wine coolers in the car, slammed a couple, then spread the word that if you wanted a drink to go out to our car. Pairs of people were discreetly stepping out for a few minutes for the rest of the night.

The music and dancing was very good though. Fun.
how did the people getting married feel about this

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, that's a terrible one, but based on the comments I think they're just trying to rile people up. I'll usually leave it be if I think a story's fake, but at least for this one, that means that I don't think a snake was actually bludgeoned to death.

Yeah I hope so. That poo poo makes me genuinely angry, I used to work with venomous snakes (getting their venom to make anti-venom) and unfortunately people do this sort of poo poo a lot. Partly it infuriates me cause someone else is taking genuine risks of getting bit in order to save some stupid rear end in a top hat doing this poo poo, but mostly cause snakes are cool and good and no one should treat animals this way.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Sweet, delicious payback.

AITAH for announcing our pregnancy at my sister's engagement party after she ruined my proposal?

quote:

When my girlfriend and I decided to get engaged, we wanted it to be a special moment between us. So, I made it clear to my family, especially my sister, that I didn't want any grand gestures or interruptions during the proposal.

However, during our romantic dinner, just as I was about to pop the question, my sister burst in with a group of friends, cheering and causing a scene. I was furious and felt like my special moment had been ruined.

My sister brushed off my anger, saying she wanted to celebrate with us. But I couldn't shake off the disappointment.

Fast forward to my sister's engagement party, and I couldn't resist the chance to make a statement of my own. During the toast to the happy couple, I announced that my girlfriend and I were expecting our first child.

My sister was livid, accusing me of stealing her thunder on her special day. But I couldn't help but feel vindicated, especially when our family rallied behind us, excitedly discussing our baby news.

While my sister insists I was the rear end in a top hat for overshadowing her engagement, I can't help but think back to how she disregarded my wishes during my proposal.
Turnabout is fair play, sis.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I read that one this morning and I'm YTA on this. Why is this even a problem. Why is your sister interrupting your romantic dinner even a concern. When I proposed to my spouse the only people who could interrupt were swans. Was this romantic dinner at the only restaurant in a town of 100 people where OP's whole family lives?

Baron Zephyrus posted:

Not to mention, isn't the point of the wedding the *people*? Shouldn't he care more about spending time celebrating with a friend on their big day?
He does want to celebrate, he just has to get totally blotto while doing it. And like, I've had a drink before a wedding and been drunk at the reception, but this guy was drunk for the ceremony and hankering to get way more drunk less than an hour later.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 16, 2024

S40CheckingAccount
Jan 14, 2024

FMguru posted:

Sweet, delicious payback.

AITAH for announcing our pregnancy at my sister's engagement party after she ruined my proposal?

Turnabout is fair play, sis.

Wait, this person told their family where and when they were going to propose, somehow had the foresight to say, "don't crash our private dinner" because they knew that was a possibility (?), but didn't consider just not telling the sister where and when it was going to happen?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

You need other person hiding in the bushes to take pictures of your proposal. If one cannot be located, the universe will instead gift you a Japanese tourist who happens to be walking by at the right time.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

KoRMaK posted:

how did the people getting married feel about this

No one got poo poo-faced. They didn't have a clue.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, and this same exact argument happens every time a dry wedding is mentioned.

Right but THIS time everyone who's on the wrong side will be convinced and we'll have settled the argument.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

“California sober” specifically means you don’t drink but you do smoke weed, and maybe other drugs too.

"I'm California sober" <slaps 5 fentanyl patches on, eats a pound of edibles>

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

"I'm California sober" <slaps 5 fentanyl patches on, eats a pound of edibles>

Gosh, people see one picture of a junkie on a bender in the middle of a street in <insert large city in CA because there's dozens to choose from> and they think everyone from CA is like that.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Right but THIS time everyone who's on the wrong side will be convinced and we'll have settled the argument.

I'm a big fan of Ben Shapiro's philosophy: wet wedding, bone dry wedding night

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I 26F missed my bf’s 24M white coat ceremony (PA school) to go on a birthday trip. I regret it but he's ignoring me. How can I apologize?

quote:

I acted very immaturely and my friends talked some sense into me. My bf Mike and I have been with each other 4 years now. Our relationship is great but he feels that I don't prioritize him, and I think he was right. I did something dumb and he hasn't talked to me in a few days.

My friend Destiny had her birthday trip in Cabo (we are there now) and left Friday. It's all girls and it's been fun. When I told him I would be going to the trip instead of his white coat ceremony he was angry and we had a big argument, and I said don't make me choose between him and my friends because I'm picking my friends every time.(My bf just had his white coat ceremony to be a physician assistant). He dropped the argument and said I'm a grown women and do what I want.

So we fly out to Cabo on Wednesday and we will be back Tuesday. My bf completely ignored me since my flight and I was annoyed. Friday he had his white coat ceremony and he post it on Instagram. Destiny (birthday girl) follows him on Instagram and sees it and freaked out and asked why am I not at his white coat ceremony. I said because I can't be at two places at one time and she said I can't believe it, he must be so embarrassed.

Destiny was furious at me and asked me why would I skip his white coat ceremony to go to Cabo, she said she would have told me to go to his white coat ceremony. One of Destiny’s friend couldn't make the trip it because her bf finished ROTC and was going to get pinned as a Lieutenant and she said I should take a page out of Ashley’s book (that particular friend).

All of the girls basically berated me. I tried to explain “sistas before mistas” and they told me to grow up, and said your bf of 4 years Is not a “mista”. Destiny started crying and said he must have been embarrassed, it hit home because that's how she felt when her mom missed her graduation. I got the point everyone was making. I called my bf and he hasn't answered, and still not replying to my text.

I know when I get back I have some serious things to do to make this up to him but Im open to ideas

After op receives a ton of comments deriding her:

quote:

I’ve admitted I was wrong. Why is no one trying to help me make it up to him?

Womp womp

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DemoneeHo posted:

I 26F missed my bf’s 24M white coat ceremony (PA school) to go on a birthday trip. I regret it but he's ignoring me. How can I apologize?
LOL. I liked the part where she was annoyed that her boyfriend has been ignoring her since she left for her trip.

quote:

I know when I get back I have some serious things to do to make this up to him but Im open to ideas
When you get back, OP, the first serious thing your should do is find the storage unit where your (ex-)boyfriend put all of your stuff after he changed the locks on the apartment.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Ominous Jazz posted:

i don't think there's a reason you could give that doesn't look bad

?? The guy said that they're busy parents that don't get out much, and so they thought it would be a fun night out where they could have a good time partying with their friends at a wedding and did the responsible thing and got an uber and a hotel room and a babysitter etc etc. A 45-minute uber both ways + hotel room + sitter would easily run you something like $400 or more depending on your area. I'd be pissed, too, if I spent $400 being responsible and found out that it was all totally unnecessary & a waste because the event was actually dry.

He's a passive aggressive weeny for the dippy invoice poo poo but he's not wrong to be pissed off about it. If anything maybe people want to know that it'll be a dry wedding so they don't pre-game, cause showing up already lit to a sober wedding is a little loving awkward

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Wedding invitations should have:
An agenda
GOALS

Hold wedding ceremony
Greet guests
Eat stuff
Dance
Leave

THREATS/SOLUTIONS

Rain/rent tent
Bugs/bug spray as favors
Great-Uncle Lenny's cha-cha/ask Lenny's wife to distract him
Great-Aunt Agatha on the sauce again/NO SOLUTION POSSIBLE

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

DemoneeHo posted:

Lol, getting yelled at by the folks you're on the trip with is a fun new wrinkle, I was expecting the usual story of them helping convince OP that the trip would be more important to go on.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, getting yelled at by the folks you're on the trip with is a fun new wrinkle, I was expecting the usual story of them helping convince OP that the trip would be more important to go on.

quote:

I tried to explain “sistas before mistas” and they told me to grow up, and said your bf of 4 years Is not a “mista”.

Yeah, you don't usually get people on the fun trip saying "grow up, you idiot, your BF/GF is not just a mista/ho".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does she even like her boyfriend? What's the point of the relationship?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

GOALS

Hold wedding ceremony
Greet guests
Eat stuff
Dance
Leave

THREATS/SOLUTIONS

Rain/rent tent
Bugs/bug spray as favors
Great-Uncle Lenny's cha-cha/ask Lenny's wife to distract him
Great-Aunt Agatha on the sauce again/NO SOLUTION POSSIBLE

SOLUTION: Set Great-Aunt Agatha up with the pre-gaming party couple who have a babysitter for the first time in 6 years and make everyone's dreams come true

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Does she even like her boyfriend? What's the point of the relationship?

I feel like "my friends are more important than you always" maybe points to no, she doesn't

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

SyNack Sassimov posted:

He should have brought a GO bag (Gin Only)

DemoneeHo posted:

One of Destiny’s friend couldn't make the trip it because her bf finished ROTC

That is impressive, those Lord of the Rings movies are long

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Return of the CKing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think the specific fetish of the White Coat is kinda dumb, but that's not relevant, she just sucks.