Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

wheatpuppy posted:

AITA for grounding my daughter for ruining our vacation

So there's being the adult who punishes a child for beating an adult at multiple bets. But then there's being the adult who'd taken these bets and apparently approves of this outcome, or at least stands by and watches it happen. Like, how do you have any sense of pride left after that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

atomicdream posted:

It sounds like to me that this might have been a specific Mother's Day event to me, and if so - gently caress that aunt. If it were just a random day, I could understand maybe, but she should accept that the OP's daughters aren't dolls too be played with when she needs a break.

OP didn't have any plans to go to it. So it's not like she's hijacking it or anything. Somebody should probably try just asking the daughter what she wants. She might want to spend time with her aunt.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
AITA for kicking out my wife's friend for saying that I am disgusting for feeding each other food with our hands?

quote:

My wife Sidney & I are extremely close. We do almost everything together; brush, have food, showering. If she asks me not do anything, I won't. If I ask her to not do something I dislike, she's happy to comply.

Her friend Lisa was over yesterday for dinner. Sidney and I often feed each other food.

Lisa looked at us weirdly. She said "What are you doing?" and I said "Having dinner?"

She said "Yeah, but you feed each other like that? That's just weird."

I did not like it, and of course neither did Sidney. She said it's none of her business. But she was shooting weird looks at us as we fed each other food, including when we were holding each other's hands.

When Sid leaned over to kiss my forehead, Lisa said "Stop this poo poo. It's insulting and frankly disgusting."

That led to a huge argument. In the end Sidney asked her to get lost, and I was only happy to. I asked her to get out of the house.

She left, but is still mad at us by saying that we insulted her.

AITA?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I’m in highschool and money was stolen from my bank account. I need help NOW

I think about this one every day

Now obviously this is very, very stupid. But there's a bunch of people in the comments asking him what "souvenir check" means. And I guess that's not a term people use but it's obvious he thought you could give out real checks like those big wacky novelty checks they give people who win the lottery. And I just get the feeling that a lot of people like the little feeling of power they get from making somebody who knows they screwed up go even further in explaining themselves by litigating every single turn of phrase. Or maybe some people are just unable or unwilling to figure things out from context. Either way, it's something I've always found very irritating and this is as a good time as any to get it off my chest.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

edgeman83 posted:

AITA for screaming at my gf because of the college she chose?

If they'd always planned to go to the same school then he probably applied to Yale too and is butthurt he didn't get in.

Supporting evidence: Feeling the need to point out she was rejected by Harvard

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
AITA for “overreacting” to my nephew’s behavior at my wedding?

quote:

I (25F) got married to my husband John (25M) last week and I are both really close to our families and we invited all of our siblings, nieces, nephews etc. I enjoyed my special day, but I had some issues with how my nephew, Blaze (11M) acted. Blaze is one of my sister Jenna’s (31F) kids.

Issues with Blaze’s behavior started to arise pretty quickly, Blaze was not able to sit still during the ceremony and while we were exchanging vows, I saw him tapping his foot, tapping his fingers on the chair and other fidgeting around. Blaze has always fidgeted and I asked Jenna in advance to make sure he wouldn’t, and she said she’d “do the best she could”.

We also had a trivia game we found in the thrift store about babies, it was meant for baby showers but we played it at our wedding, while we aren’t expecting kids yet, we thought it would be a fun game. Blaze knows A LOT of random stuff, and he ended up winning the game. After the wedding, a few guests told me they were upset as they felt Blaze embarrassed them in front of their kids by knowing more about child development than them.

My final straw was when it as time to eat, I went to see my Jenna and I saw Blaze just sitting with some family talking about his basketball team, I told him he could get up and get some food and he came back with chicken tenders, fries, coleslaw and a loaded baked potato. I asked why he didn’t get anything else and he said none of the other food looked appetizing. Blaze is a picky eater and I encouraged him to try some other foods, and he did, but he spit them out and said they were bad.

I’ve been texting Jenna this past week about Blaze’s behavior at the wedding, she said she tried her best to get him to behave but it was his first wedding and to be easy on him, this is despite the fact her younger kids had no issues. I was talking to John about this and he said to let this go and told me I was “overreacting”, he said we knew Blaze was a bit odd and that if I didn’t want him acting so odd, I shouldn’t have invited him. AITA?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
r/relationships: he offered him a glass of water and asked how school was

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

MagusofStars posted:

Pretty sure the money isn’t even legally the friend’s any more. If you’re selling the land with the house, the default is that you own *everything* on your acreage, from the Earth’s core extending all the way up.

There must be some give here since people don't have to go put all their stuff in storage before they agree to a sale.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

I laughed hard because I fell for that poo poo hook line and sinker at my first job. I was so goddamn proud of myself. Jesus Christ.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

Shanghaied posted:

Okay this has to be a joke:

WIBTAH For Throwing out my Boyfriend’s “Poop Spear''?

What does he think everybody else is doing? Does he think we all just live with constantly clogged toilets in the absence of his amazing life hack?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

leaptosleep posted:

But most washing machines and dryers are pretty simple and intuitive. Nowadays laundry isn't really much of a task.

You don't really know that until you try and even if you do it helps to have somebody there to say "Yes, it really is that simple. No, you aren't missing something." And even more helpful if that person doesn't get on your case for doing anything wrong at all, and doesn't just snatch the task away the moment they get a little bit frustrated.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
If some had asked me to pick up some Cool Whip before I read this discussion I'm not sure what I would have gotten. Could have been aything from canned whipped cream to Miracle Whip, maybe even some mayonaise since I wasn't sure what Miracle Whip was either.

I certainly wouldn't have thought there was any special enough about the branded tub of imitation whipped cream to warrant hunting it down specifically.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
AITA For suggesting bridesmaid get a part-time job

quote:

I (32F) am getting married this fall about 3000 miles away in our hometown. Most of the people in our wedding still live there but a few bridesmaids live locally. One of them (27F), we'll call her Erica, is unemployed. She finished her MA 3 years ago but hasn't worked for the last two years. She had a job when she said yes to being in the wedding, but lost it a few months later, and told me she would not be able to fly over all three times for the celebrations, (dress fitting, bach party, wedding) and would only be able to fly over for the wedding.

I said that was fine and decided to move the bach weekend to an area a few hours from us and have the rest of my bridesmaids fly in for that since they won't have to travel for the wedding. I mentioned that since they were flying in, she and the other two local bridesmaids would be responsible for more expenses to even it out. Erica told me that she was happy to be able to come to the bach party now but that her situation hasn't changed and she is still on a tight budget. She moved back in with her grandparents and has no expenses.

I don't understand why she can't do something to make money during the day if the wedding expenses are such a burden to her. When I mentioned it to her she looked shocked and got super embarrassed. She told me that she doesn't have time during the day to work because she's working on an art thing for show coming up but that's not until after my wedding. She even got to the point of tearing up and telling me how little is in her bank account, which I thought was pretty weird and manipulative. How would you handle this? Am I being a bridezilla or how would you explain to her that these are the bare minimum duties as a bridesmaid?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
Am I in the wrong for deliberately dressing like Death Cult leader Reverend Jim Jones to attend my wife's cousins' church BBQ

quote:

So my wife's cousins belong to this fundamentalist church that really reminds me of the Peoples Temple from Jonestown, except they aren't radical communists, just Christian Fundies.

They often have these big barbecues with tons of attendees from their church and relatives, etc.

I decided it would be fun to go to one dressed as [Reverend Jim Jones](https://media.tenor.com/TxYapWz21B4AAAAe/jim-jones-reverend.png). I wore similar sunglasses and I got a red short sleeve shirt and tan pants just like he wore on the final day at Jonestown.

Nobody seemed to notice, but on the way home, I was laughing and I had to explain to my wife what I had done. SHe got really mad at me and now I am in the proverbial dog house.

TL/DR: I dressed up as the death-cult leader, Reverend Jim Jones, for my wife's cousin's church BBQ and my wife got very angry with me. Am I in the wrong?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There's no way he didn't ask if she was going to tell her church who he was supposed to be.

It's not even her church, it's her cousin's. Seems like something he could have easily gotten out of instead of acting like a 14-year-old with no choice in the matter.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

Elblanco posted:

Yea it was just the kids, so they had the poo poo rear end ending from the beginning. Also ted and robin are put in lovely age makeup for their scene. Barney, marshal and lilly all get almost nothing to wrap their stuff up either.

Edit: loving lovely snipe, have a weird and kinda gross one I found.

AITA my husband doesn't want to make his own coffee in the morning

I don't like coffee myself, but microwaving day old coffee sounds gross as hell.

I haven't even thought about this in ages but I used to do this all the time. I'd load it up with milk and sugar so I wasn't really tasting anything else. I feel like it was a pretty common practice before we all started caring about coffee. Maybe it still is.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

TACD posted:

I feel like whatever way you slice it “The possibility exists that a direct relative of the alleged father could not be excluded” is redundant phrasing

It reads like somebody screwed up when they were trying to edit their boilerplate text into a final document

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
AITA for sending a venmo request for babysitter, hotel and uber reimbursement after a dry wedding?

quote:

A friend from college got married this past weekend. The wedding was 45 minutes from my house so my wife and I got a hotel room. We checked in, had a few pregame cocktails, and we ubered from the hotel to the venue.

We sit down, wedding happens, its beautiful. We get to "social hour' as its called and there is no booze. Turns out this was a dry wedding. There was no indication that this was a dry wedding before showing up. I checked the digital version of the invite and website. Nothing indicating this.

I'm pissed for a few reasons.

1. I might not have RSVP'd yes if I knew this.

2. I'm pissed i blew a few hundred bucks on a hotel for the night, babysitters, and ubers.

I'm like what the gently caress. Other friends that were their were grumbling and felt similar to me. The night went on and the wedding was fine but honestly a bit of a bummer. Now that my wife and I have kids, nights like this are rare, and I was pumped to do something. So we dipped out a bit early and went out. Other friends rolled with. We left in the middle of the dancing time and didn't stay for the exit.

Later that night, I sent a venmo request for the cost of babysitter, hotel, and ubers.

Yesterday, I heard from my college buddy. He was like what the gently caress is this rear end in a top hat. I explained I was mad that this was a dry wedding. The bride had family that are alcoholics so they opted to not have alcohol as an option. I told him thats need to know information. Not informing us of that cost me and our other friends a lot of money. He said I should have asked him and not assumed it was a wet wedding. I said to him, alcohol is a default option, if you change the default you tell people. He disagreed with that notion. I said you drink, why would I think its dry? We went back and forth for a while. He still thinks i'm an rear end in a top hat. Am I?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

Mx. posted:

AITA because I won’t ask the teacher to change my daughter’s grade?

Being able to grasp the important goals of a task and finding ways to accomplish them when the literal reading of the assignment doesn't work is actually a very good skill to have. This isn't journalism class, the teacher isn't going to verify that Bobby actually went to Disneyland and that Space Mountain was actually his favorite ride. It's just an exercise to get kids to write something. She was understood that even if the teacher didn't.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
AITA for telling a friend they aren’t attractive enough for SoCal?

quote:

I (19F) am good friends with Emily (20F) since highschool. Emily wants to move to South California, apparently she has enough to move there. Unfortunately, South California is basically home to a bunch of attractive women. If you aren’t attractive in SoCal, then you aren’t necessarily going to fit in.

Emily is very pudgy and has dry skin, so I told her to be careful about bullying because South California is full of attractive women and they’re a dime a dozen there. Even I’m conventionally attractive and I probably don’t match up to their standards. It’s just how it is.

She responded by calling me a shallow rear end in a top hat and saying I’m looking too deep into things. Now she’s been struggling to talk to me. AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
AITA for peeing in the parking lot of my (now ex) GFs work?

quote:

My best friend came down last night and we went to a bar about a half hour away. I told my (now ex) GF where I was and she said she was working her 2nd job “only 5 minutes away :)”. Great, my best friend was excited to see her so we went to her work to pay her a visit.

Well, the drive wasn’t 5 minutes. It was 15-20 and by the time I got there, I had to pee. There was not a single car in this parking lot (nor portopottie) besides two busses. I peed between the two busses and my GF came out right after. She was pissed

She basically broke up with me right then for relieving myself. I understand what I did could be perceived as bad but literally nobody saw me. She only knew I peed there because I told her. If her supervisor caught me, sure, break up with me. But nobody saw.

I’m not sure what I was supposed to do. Yeah, I could have went to the McDonald’s 7 minutes away, that I didn’t know existed because I was in a part of town I was unfamiliar with but am I really the rear end in a top hat here for just having to pee?