Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is it r/relationships day again already? Should we get out the big john effigy to burn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grey Cat posted:

I don't know who big john is.

Odd posted:

So I read this and yeah.

I [23f] created a 1:1 scale puppet version of my boyfriend [22m] and showed it to him during foreplay as a joke. Now he hasn’t texted me in 12 hours and I’m starting to get worried. How do I get him to text me back?

quote:

The title pretty much says it all, but here are some more details: my boyfriend of six months and I have had a pretty cut and dry relationship up to this point. I’ve always been what some people would call “quirky,” so pranks are sort of my bread and butter. He, John, has expressed that he really likes this part of me and I’m just happy to be with someone who can handle all of my zest, lol! Sometimes I worry that he doesn’t actually think I’m as funny as he says, but he always reassures me that this is not the case. One of the ways we really like to express our humor to each other is in the bedroom, for example I love to do impressions of mostly Disney characters (such as the “paperwork” lady from Monsters Inc, haha). He sometimes does them too, but he’s not that good at voices.

So here’s where I think I may have taken it too far: I recently bought a sewing machine to try and make cosplay costumes and stuff, but something dawned on me as I was messing around with it. This was the plan:

We oftentimes sexytimes with a habitual back rub massage sort of thing, and we switch off. And then we progress into french kissing and then full blown you know what. One very important fact to tell you is that John does in fact wear glasses, so I will usually make a point to take them off and put them on the table for safety. During this particular romp in the hay, I got a really funny idea about how to take his glasses off next time and I couldn’t stop laughing. He asked me what I was laughing at because he has some insecurity about his appearance, but I assured him that it was nothing like that. We had our fun and John went home, but all I could think about was this plan.

So the next day I went to the fabric store and bought a bunch of skin colored felt and wire framing and cotton and got to work creating a muppet-style version of my boyfriend to put his glasses on next time we started getting dirty style. Honestly, the thing was looking pretty good and I even found some clothes at Goodwill that were his style. I dressed the puppet in the clothes, hid them under my collection of squishmallows that’s in my room, and invited him over.

To spare you all the explicit details, we did start kissing and taking clothes off and stuff, but my hands were shaking as I reached up to grab his glasses. Instead of putting it on my nightstand I made a point to say something like “I’m just gonna put these riiiiight here” as I stretched over to the squishmallow that was covering the puppet boyfriend’s head and put the glasses right over his felt eyes. He got confused I think and looked back to where I put the glasses and sat up, as a felt version of his face (very easily identifiable by the way, John has red hair and a mustache, so the glasses on top left little question of who this could be). He was silent for a second then said “is that supposed to be me?” as I was laughing. I said something like “do you like it?” as I took it out of the squishmallow pile and revealed the entirety of muppet John.

“Oh did you make that?” he asked, and I stood it up off the bed and asked him to stand next to it. “See? It’s just like you basically!” I said, but he still wasn’t laughing that much. I think he saw that the muppet ended up being just a little bit taller than him (he’s 5’7 and probably insecure about that, the muppet ended up accidentally being a little taller than him, around 6’1 based on seeing them side by side).

I noticed his disappointment and did a tried and true disney impression to make him feel better. In my best Goofy impression I said “Well, looks like we should call him Big, John, Hyuck!” John just took the glasses off of Big John and let him fall to the floor, and put the glasses on the nightstand and sat on the bed for a while but we eventually went to Sin city but it was a lot more quiet than usual. He left after that, even though we were planning on having a sleepover, he said he wasn’t feeling good. I texted him goodnight and went to bed.

So here’s the ish: this morning I haven’t gotten any good morning text, or any texts at all from him, even though he always sends me a good morning text. I’m worried that Big John was a step too far and that normal john didn’t think the joke was as funny as I did. I feel like he’s just putting me in an uncomfortable position by not telling me how this made him really feel, even though I thought it was pretty funny… Is this salvageable or am I effed?

tl;dr : Created a life-sized puppet of my boyfriend to put his glasses on. But, I think it made him insecure, and now he wont text me.
Now you read it too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think Astraea is pretty decent for an unusual name?

mystes
May 31, 2006

A Real Horse posted:

Missing out on the probation picture chain is going to be my crumb-filled deathbed regret.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Gotta get it for the 'gram! Don't most gyms have a "no recording other people" policy, anyway? I don't go to any since I don't like working out in public, but that was my general perception.
Yeah I think that is generally the case

mystes
May 31, 2006

The_Franz posted:

Apparently, in most places, you have a grace period to change the name on a birth certificate without having to involve the courts, so Harlot mom could easily fix this.
A Grayse period if you will

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

my name is literally Karen, and none of the nursery/preschool kids I work with have batted an eyelid, it must be a very regional thing for it to be used casually as a swear/slur.
I feel like it peaked during covid and it's already in the process of slowly dying as slang

mystes
May 31, 2006

wheatpuppy posted:

My (35M) gf (35F) tells her coworkers that we are cousins

UPDATE - My (35M) gf (35F) tells her coworkers that we are cousins
The biggest thing that seems hard to understand about this to me is given the length of time and the fact that the OP said in another comment that the boyfriend was in his friend group with the not-girlfriend, even assuming zero ability to pick up on social cues or whatever, surely at some point the not-girlfriend would have ended up saying stuff that made it clear that the other guy was her boyfriend?

Like, I could see 6 months pretty easily, but in 6 years she never said "this is my boyfriend [person other than OP]" in the presence of the OP? She never told the OP "[boyfriend] proposed to me"? She never said "I had a date with [boyfriend]"?

I can imagine that since the OP had decided that they were going out, he was willing to ignore a bunch of times when the not-girlfriend said things that seemed to not quite make sense, but you still think that in 6 years there would be at least one time when there was something so clear it couldn't be ignored.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 3, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

One other thing is, the OP had no issue presumably not being introduced as her boyfriend for six years. But then as soon as she introduced him as he cousin, he was immediately concerned.

So was she introducing him to other people as her "friend" for six years and he thought she just didn't feel like specifying boyfriend because it was none of their business? But now now that she was engaged she felt like it was better to say "cousin" than "friend" in case people might misunderstand and think they were going out?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hughlander posted:

Well cousin implies they’re not together and she’s trying to cheat on him!
Only if you use the "girl code" decoder ring that you get when you are initiated into the secrets of r/relationships

mystes
May 31, 2006

Troublemaker posted:

AITA for telling anyone who asks why I don’t bake for our hall anymore?
Maybe if your kids have food allergies you should tell them not to loving eat random food people leave out if they don't know what's in them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I will say I want to believe it's real and also regardless of whether it's real or not I really like the misinterpretation of the double date. (Conversely, if it's fake that is actually quite an ingenious idea to come up with.)

mystes
May 31, 2006

DemoneeHo posted:

What about in the flipside of this situation? Does OP not have any friends or family he could have introduced his not-gf as his girlfriend? Or a facebook page saying he's in a relationship?
Based on all the stuff OP wrote, I am fairly willing to believe the possibility that, if it's true, he wouldn't have done any of those things, so I don't personally feel like that alters the probability of it being real.

mystes
May 31, 2006

InediblePenguin posted:

i want to change my name for trans reasons but although my county puts a PDF of "fill in the blank" paperwork to fill out, none of the blanks are labeled, i have no idea what information they want, and i can't afford a lawyer to tell me what to write on these dozen blank lines so im stuck :/
It's just a form with a bunch of blank lines and no explanation? Is this some sort of deliberate obstruction tactic?

mystes
May 31, 2006

DemoneeHo posted:

I told my girlfriend I used an AI dating bot to chat with her. She blocked me. Next steps?
I had to read the second paragraph like three times because I was misunderstanding what "ai dating bot" meant and didn't realize there are apparently things designed specifically to do this?

Edit:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Date the bot, I guess :shrug:
I was going to say that but that's not the kind of bot it is, it's even worse than that

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the ai dating bot must be something like this:

https://www.yourmove.ai/

I'm not surprised OP's girlfriend immediately dumped him when she found out because it means that the initial conversation she had where she felt like they had some sort of connection was actually with a bot

mystes
May 31, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

I assume the bot is mostly just a numbers thing, it can message a lot more women without needing to spend extra time.
If it's like the one I linked it seems like it doesn't have direct integration with any dating apps and you have to manually copy in the messages you receive to get it to generate responses so it doesn't seem like it goes off and spams people on its own

mystes
May 31, 2006

I like that they moved in to supposedly help with the baby (which they presumably haven't done?) and are paying zero bills despite working full time but they can't move out because they have nowhere to go?

Also asking the son to not blast the horn for no reason does not exactly seem like an unreasonable request.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Not asking is dumb and she shouldn't have done that (he is right to be unhappy imo) but yelling is a bit excessive, assuming he was actually yelling.

I think "please do not do that again" would have sufficed.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 3, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

Assigned Female At Birth. A lot of very young/online people have started saying this instead of just "male" or "female" to acknowledge the impermanence and arbitrariness of gender
I'm not sure that using AFAB when you're just talking about your gender and your AGAB is irrelevant to the post like the OP appears to be doing is necessarily a great way to do that though

mystes
May 31, 2006

500excf type r posted:

That's your projection tho
It is, but there is probably some level of correlation between not giving a poo poo about your spouse's feelings like this and being likely to foist responsibilities for taking care of an animal on them

If you think your spouse is unreasonable for not wanting a dog and don't care about their point of view, and therefore you feel like you should force a dog on them for their own good, maybe after that you will end up thinking they are unreasonable for not willing to take care of the dog and think you should force them to do that for their own good as well.

A reasonable person would say "I won't always be available to take care of the dog and would need my spouse to help some of the time, so if they aren't able to do that, I shouldn't get a dog" and not take in the dog in the first place. So if you're already getting a dog with the plan to make them do something they aren't willing to do some of the time, what's to stop you from doing it most or all of the time?

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 3, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

OP is NTA but it still would have been smarter in some sense to win over some of the complainers by letting them enroll their kids

mystes
May 31, 2006

duck trucker posted:

OP just had to say, "Wish I could help but I'm legally full-up on the amount of children I can daycare. There's a pretty long wait-list but you're free to sign up for it."

Anyone with kids knows that's how every daycare is and only the most difficult of parents will argue with you. But when pressed she decided to poo poo where she sleeps rather than leave it.
I mean, to be fair, she was initially fairly restrained about it, despite wanting to be like "gently caress you" and only said the actual reason when pressed so I don't think it's really fair to be that hard on her. It just would have been smarter to handle it differently and let them sign up for a wait list or whatever.

Kurieg posted:

AITA for telling my mom she doesn't get to act like the victim when she named me after her late husband behind my dad's back?
oh wow that's insanely dumb of the mom

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

This is sad and mom obviously has major issues but how old is OP? Surely that rule stops applying at 18
They said in a comment that it's two years until they turn 18

mystes
May 31, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

Tell the sister a terrible fake name. Pnurtis her up and laugh.
Wasn't there a story in the previous thread where someone actually told someone who was stealing their baby names an awful fake name and it worked?

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's interesting that the OP seems to have no sense of how rich their parents are. Like they're saying they looked up 1% and yes they're in the 1% and their parents' house cost 7 figures when they bought it but that's still pretty vague and that makes them which kind of makes it hard to evaluate the situation

In a lot of places even fairly normal houses are a million dollars now unfortunately but I'm guessing their parents are actually much richer than just owning a 1 million dollar house they're trying to pay off

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 3, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Midnight Voyager posted:

They own multiple houses and vehicles and travel frequently across the world.
That still could probably be anywhere between both parents having made $200k/year for the last 20 years and having bought a normal house and some vacation condo with mortgages and them being billionaires. I'm getting the sense that it's latter it's just weird how abstract it is to the OP, probably because they grew up with such rich parents, which likely means they are massively understating the situation in a way that intentionally or unintentionally makes their boyfriend's reaction seem less justified

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 3, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

deety posted:

I was eighteen, and we lived near the beach. But this kid was shocked beyond words that I'd never been skiing. I kept trying to tell him that skiing was too expensive, and he said, "It's not really that bad if you own your own skis!"
I mean, it's obviously dumb if he assumed that everyone skied, and skiing always tended to be a rich person hobby to some extent because unless you lived right near a ski slope, it would end up being complicated and expensive to try to get to somewhere to ski, and you would have to rent or buy the gear.

However, despite all that, depending on where/when this conversation took place, it was sort of true in that the actual lift tickets didn't use to be that expensive so if you were really determined and you lived within a few hours of a ski slope and were willing to drive a ton you could make it fairly cheap.

Now it's completely absurd and one day lift tickets are getting close to what season passes used to be like, so it's really a rich person hobby.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I honestly don't know what the right solution is there. I think lying to her husband about something like that is not great but it's kind of understandable given the circumstances.

mystes
May 31, 2006

He should perform a magic ritual to bring the skull to life and ask it how it feels about the situation.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Midnight Voyager posted:

The gently caress's a "typical foreign return"?
I think the OP is not a native English speaker but maybe they meant that the friend was living abroad and came back and is now acting snobbish

Edit: It may be Indian English since OP said he's Indian

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 4, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Basically it seems like the complaint is something like this:

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Indians-returning-from-the-US-start-talking-with-a-fake-American-accent

He seems to feel like she's being pretentious after living broad

mystes
May 31, 2006

Honestly laughing at someone for asking for a fork rather than chopsticks seems pretty lovely to me. But the OP also sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

mystes
May 31, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That's total projection on his part, she just asked if there was a problem and if they should have gone to another restaurant
The way he describes it is that she gave him a weird look when he asked for a fork and then asked the wife if there was a problem in a way that seems to have been in response to him asking for a fork.

imo either
1) He was weird about how he asked for a fork (like he was intentionally acting like he didn't want to be in a Chinese restaurant)
2) He just asked for a fork normally and she was actually acting snobbish about it as he described, or
3) The way he told the story was so inaccurate it's not worth trying to make sense of it

I don't think it's really possible to distinguish between 1 and 2 just by reading his post, so I don't think it's possible to say whether it's projection or not, but if the sequence of events is anything like what he described it doesn't sound like the question about whether they should have gone to another restaurant was intended neutrally. That's not usually something you would say when someone has just started to eat their food unless there is some specific issue.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 4, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

If they've caused incidents after getting drunk but OP feels the need to invite them anyway I don't really see the problem with getting them to agree not to drink and telling the bartender not to serve them?

mystes
May 31, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I guess the ENT may be able to detect sleep apnea
I mean unless he's tired all day or something, there's no reason to suspect sleep apnea based on his post. He has to get up really early so he goes to sleep early.

mystes
May 31, 2006

quote:

Semi night shifts? I work 6:30am-4pm. I don’t see how that’s a night shift in any shape or form. She advocated for me to change to this shift instead of the 9am-6pm I was working. Her literal main issue is that I get home and am tired and falling asleep at 8pm while she’s wide awake until 10-11pm at night. I’m wondering if you misread somewhere. I own my own home, and for a year long relationship I’m not selling it to move closer especially when I’m not done with my renovations. I’m the sole bread-winner in our relationship. She pays for nothing except her bills such as; insurance/phone/and a small rent payment to me that she insisted on. I pay for literally everything else such as; dining, concerts, vehicle repairs, unexpected poo poo and all of my home bills. Monetarily, she has got it beyond easy.
So she's not working and she's unhappy that their his schedule (which he can't control because of work) doesn't match her schedule?

Edit: oh wait
In response to "Does she work?"

quote:

She does, 8am-4pm in person not WFH

I guess he just meant that he's paying for almost everything, not that she wasn't working

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 4, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shanghaied posted:

There's nothing weird about falling asleep at 8-9 if you're getting up at 5 each day? The girlfriend sleeps for 8 hours a night but expects the OP to get by on 6:

GF is just extremely needy. When asked when was the last time the OP wasn't working and wasn't with the GF:

They have lived together for all of two months lol
That sounds completely exhausting

mystes
May 31, 2006

So many people believe in it unfortunately, and you can't really go around telling them that it's pseudoscience or they'll get mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

A chiropractor is someone you go to if you really really need the pain to stop right now, but can't get in or afford to see an actual doctor for whatever reason (or if the problem isn't severe enough for a doctor to treat). They won't fix your problem and you shouldn't go to one long-term if you can help it, but if all you need is a quick fix to make some pain go away until you can see a real doctor, then a chiropractor isn't totally useless for that.
If you want pseudoscience as a placebo to temporarily make you feel better, homeopathy is a lot less dangerous