Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I had some weirdness tonight with my computer that I was curious if anyone else has had.

I have a prebuilt computer with an ASUS TUF GAMING Z-590- PLUS WIFI. I recently flashed the BIOS for ~reasons~. It was working pretty much fine since that date a few weeks ago, and tonight, I put the computer on sleep and went out to get beer. When I came back, the display was off and the computer was running. I restarted the computer and the computer would fail to POST three times and then run with no error lights on the board remaining on. I carefully went through and removed and reseated the RAM, everything hooked into the board via USB/Ethernet/ and finally the GPU. Still failing to POST three times.

Finally, I removed the CMOS battery and it posted. I reseated everything, and now it boots. I'm thinking that its probably a CMOS battery going bad and uuuuugh, I don't want to flash the BIOS again if I need to replace the battery again. Any suggestions?

CPU:Intel Core I7 11700K
Mobo: TUF Gaming z590- PLUS WIFI
Memory: 2x32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600 MHz
GPU: NVIDIA Gefore RTX 3070
SD: 1xTB NVME SSD

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Usually when a CMOS battery goes bad it just means that it won't save your settings.

So you are on the latest BIOS?

Make sure your OS is fully updated.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Once is fine and somewhat "normal" but if you have a hung EC or Chipset more than once (the problem you're describing, imo) you may need to change the bios version back or forth.

You have several little computers inside your big one, each with their own software and their own bugs. Some software is given to them by the bios on boot/reboot and it loads all it's programming before your screen switches on. If it crashes or divides by zero somehow your poo poo will stop working completely and just hang.

Do tell if it's repeatedly doing this.