Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i got pods in my cluster bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

:cb::byewhore:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

none of these words are in the Bible

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Dijkstracula posted:

none of these words are in the Bible

Luke 15:16
He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

Song of Songs 7:7
Your stature is like that of the palm, and your breasts like clusters of fruit.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ill take ur word for it op

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

oh you like kubernetes? name every apiGroup

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

you should see a doctor about that

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I always mix up kubernetes and Kerberos

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
if you need HA just buy a mainframe

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
then run a kubernetes cluster on it

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

containers were a pointless pain the rear end before k8s. fight me

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

shitface posted:

containers a pointless pain the rear end

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
counterpoint: containers are the best little scratch cone protectors we have for random trash linux code things

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

kubernetes is in fact, bad

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Container and kubernetes can be ok but for whatever reason people insist on using them without asking "is there any possible way I'll get my time back from this bullshit if something goes wrong?"

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Jonny 290 posted:

Luke 15:16
He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

Song of Songs 7:7
Your stature is like that of the palm, and your breasts like clusters of fruit.

Song of Solomon is so horny; the original horny posting on main

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Kubernetes is bad but managing stuff in production before kubernetes was also bad

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

ADINSX posted:

Kubernetes is bad but managing stuff in production before kubernetes was also bad

much worse, in fact

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
honestly was expecting a "for me to poop on" bit, very disappointed to see people actually advocating for k8s

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

make better choices kids

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

no

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im deploying my manifests in a school zone while drunk

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
polling loops everywhere

no dependency graph. just sleep a bit and try again and give up after 30 tries.

oo, you created a custom resource in some other namespace pointing here? hope you wrote that poo poo down cause you cant drain the node normally anymore with it like that.

yea its great op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i like kubernetes a lot. i mean, i have no idea how to use it or how it works, but i think it is a big force for crystallizing what should have been an expert role for a long time. deploying and running things is complex enough that you should have experts doing it. sysadmin used to be the role but that got kind of dissolved into not meaning anything as complexity shifted (and realistically grew)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i like kubernetes a lot. i mean, i have no idea how to use it or how it works, but i think it is a big force for crystallizing what should have been an expert role for a long time. deploying and running things is complex enough that you should have experts doing it. sysadmin used to be the role but that got kind of dissolved into not meaning anything as complexity shifted (and realistically grew)

i agree, dealing with k8s shouldnt be my responsibility

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

fresh_cheese posted:

polling loops everywhere

no dependency graph. just sleep a bit and try again and give up after 30 tries.

oo, you created a custom resource in some other namespace pointing here? hope you wrote that poo poo down cause you cant drain the node normally anymore with it like that.

yea its great op

yes bad administration leads to bad situations, such as it ever was

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I went to a few Kubernetes meetups and there was free beer and pizza so that was cool, I had absolutely no idea what the presenters were talking about though

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
i don't really care for k8s but compared to the absolute ball-ache that was getting an infra person to provison me some goddamn resources for whatever dumbshit service i needed to deploy it sure was nicer

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

keights

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

it's all right

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I had a meeting yesterday and everyone agreed we need to stop using Kubernetes.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

for a clown

in the circus

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
on a tangentially kubernetes note, i decided to do something incredibly stupid and redo my toy app pirate video system in kubernetes with envoy and blob storage instead of a plain old vps with nginx and some app containers

i was surprised to learn that envoy's docs are actually worse than my employers' (though the latter are still kinda poo poo as far as commercial products that can afford dedicated documentation teams go)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i don’t understand containers or micro services and i really don’t understand whatever the gently caress kubernetes is

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
I had a 3-day course on it last year.
Iirc I was pleasantly surprised to find that there weren't too many insane layers of abstractions over containers and actual machines in vanilla k8s itself. There's mostly one big fat layer containing various things and ideas but most of those still relate in some manner to actual things happening in running images (like ports and volumes). What I expected was that there would be some-Thing you interact with, but it would be a layer sitting atop a pile of k8s specific layers where the lowest of those layers sits atop running docker containers (but does not actually let you touch all the stuff you need to do with containers), and 99% of your time would be spent dealing with the concepts and problems introduced by the layers inbetween and the mere act of simply starting a container would be basically impossible. That was not the case.
The flipside of that is you have to add various stuff on top of it to actually turn it into an ergonomic solution for the problem of managing deployments and stuff. This is where the surrounding ecosystem comes in which in my understanding consists of a multitude of tools each of which does little more than introducing its own way of wrangling yaml you write to express some-thing-you-want-to-happen into yaml that k8s can actually understand and make happen.
I don't actually work with it so that may all be bogus.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i don’t understand containers or micro services and i really don’t understand whatever the gently caress kubernetes is

containers: imagine instead of shipping an app you could ship an entire OS (minus kernel) that runs in its own special little partition that can’t interact with the main OS.

kubernetes: imagine you had to manage a bunch of containers and you wanted them to run them on all the hosting platforms, which are all different, and needed a tool to abstract the differences by introducing infinite complexity.

the short answer is these are “solutions” to the problem of Unix being a disaster and system administrators being very dumb.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
nobody knows what micro services are

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

a miserable pack of lies, op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
rotor, i present to you a dilemma - what if we ran the code on kubernetes, but kubernetes is running on an optiplex under greg's desk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divsel
Mar 28, 2024
can't really say anything about kubernetes since its overkill for any of my dumb CJ projects, but containers are lit fam.