Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
for windows users who dont understand containers: imagine if your application shipped with the msvc library you needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

The Management posted:

containers: imagine instead of shipping an app you could ship an entire OS (minus kernel) that runs in its own special little partition that can’t interact with the main OS.

kubernetes: imagine you had to manage a bunch of containers and you wanted them to run them on all the hosting platforms, which are all different, and needed a tool to abstract the differences by introducing infinite complexity.

the short answer is these are “solutions” to the problem of Unix being a disaster and system administrators being very dumb.

containers are fancy bsd jails which themselves are fancy chroots

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

for windows users who dont understand containers: imagine if your application shipped with the msvc library you needed

incomprehensible

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Jonny 290 posted:

rotor, i present to you a dilemma - what if we ran the code on kubernetes, but kubernetes is running on an optiplex under greg's desk

a cluster of optiplexes under multiple gregs's desks

greg is now ha

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

rotor, i present to you a dilemma - what if we ran the code on kubernetes, but kubernetes is running on an optiplex under greg's desk

isn't this every chik fil a?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
chick phil eh?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

:mad:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

why are you upset? sounds like greg's problem to me

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Jonny 290 posted:

this was literally the first version of battle.net (w/o the kubernetes part obvs)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Asleep Style posted:

containers are fancy bsd jails which themselves are fancy chroots

Solaris zones did what we call containers 20 years ago

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Management posted:

Solaris zones did what we call containers 20 years ago

and where is solaris now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

and where is solaris now

a stark warning from history for those with the eyes to see it

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
hows Rancher? is it also a giant pile of timing windows and polling loops?

also terrible, but differently?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fresh_cheese posted:

never heard of it

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
oh. its just an opinionated kubernetes

nmind - i thought it was its own thing.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

fresh_cheese posted:

it’s really only a management platform sitting on top of k8s. it does nothing to change its nature. it has some opinions on the load balancing and ingress you should deploy but it’s not hard to change those opinions

also, it’s p deece when you want to click instead of type

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

shitface posted:

also, it’s p deece when you want to click instead of type

lol noob

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

eh. makes it easy to check poo poo.

but for fucks sake don’t ever try to upgrade a helm package with it. it has a mysterious ability to gently caress this up

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
the abstractions it provides are better than whatever your in-house ops bozos would cook up

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my homie dhall posted:

the abstractions it provides

stopped reading here

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

my applications are so wild and free they cannot be contained, op.

let alone orchestrated.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Steve Jobs would have loved kubernetes because he liked playing orchestration

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

fart simpson posted:

stopped reading here

Most software presents an abstraction of some kind but I agree with not reading about software

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

i call my approach to software test “strategic ignorance “

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
my take is that adding abstractions to k8s makes it harder, not easier. a good multi-purpose helm chart or two is all you really need

e: and yes i know helm charts are an abstraction, but they're a nice thin one

well-read undead fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 7, 2024

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

my homie dhall posted:

the abstractions it provides are better than whatever your in-house ops bozos would cook up

then the same in-house bozos will come up with any excuse to use k8s (or eks, or aks) instead of other managed services by aws/azure that offer even higher levels of abstraction that are better than whatever your in-house ops bozos would cook up.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
all I know is I used to run my stuff on one t3.medium and now after “rearchitecting” 5 t5.larges and a gazillion AWS queues is apparently still not enough for this beast

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

FormatAmerica posted:

then the same in-house bozos will come up with any excuse to use k8s (or eks, or aks) instead of other managed services by aws/azure that offer even higher levels of abstraction that are better than whatever your in-house ops bozos would cook up.

agreed, running kubernetes on public cloud that has managed services like that makes no sense

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

FormatAmerica posted:

my homie dhall posted:

agreed, running kubernetes on public cloud that has managed services like that makes no sense

generally, where practical, I do like to keep things like databases externalised from the cluster and these services can work well for that, no doubt. I highly suspect that many, if not all, are just running in k8s with the detail hidden from you though. but anyway what managed services will scale your application nodes automatically and transparently? what equivalent to hpa do the cloud providers offer? (genuine question. I don't know)

ime the experience you have with k8s is largely down to the competence of the original architect and build engineers. provided they have designed and setup the architecture constraints correctly, provided robust pipelines for upgrades/deployments etc., k8s become a pretty automated self-healing substrate for applications (except when it's not)

shitface fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 8, 2024

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

shitface posted:

generally, where practical, I do like to keep things like databases externalised from the cluster and these services can work well for that, no doubt. I highly suspect that many, if not all, are just running in k8s with the detail hidden from you though. but anyway what managed services will scale your application nodes automatically and transparently? what equivalent to hpa do the cloud providers offer? (genuine question. I don't know)

aws has autoscalers for ec2 instance groups that you can connect to various metrics in various ways and i'm sure there are similar things in other public cloud providers. they're actually what the cluster autoscaler uses under the hood if you're running eks (or otherwise running k8s in aws)

but they suck to set up. most stuff in aws sucks to set up. i'd rather use the k8s control plane any day of the week, and it's just a bonus that that control plane is portable to other providers

the thing isn't that kubernetes is this beautiful thing that's simple and perfect, it's that other things are and always have been absolute dogshit once they've matured past the complexity of optiplex under greg's desk

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

well-read undead posted:

aws has autoscalers for ec2 instance groups that you can connect to various metrics in various ways and i'm sure there are similar things in other public cloud providers. they're actually what the cluster autoscaler uses under the hood if you're running eks (or otherwise running k8s in aws)

TIL :tipshat:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
let me just pedant myself though: i think it might just be the target groups that the cluster autoscaler uses, not asgs themselves, idk, it's sunday

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

well-read undead posted:

but they suck to set up. most stuff in aws sucks to set up. i'd rather use the k8s control plane any day of the week, and it's just a bonus that that control plane is portable to other providers

the thing isn't that kubernetes is this beautiful thing that's simple and perfect, it's that other things are and always have been absolute dogshit once they've matured past the complexity of optiplex under greg's desk

I've used ECS for a few different services and it's fine, I never used any of the advanced features in kubernetes, ECS basically just has the stuff I care about which is deploying and auto scaling containers

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i used ecs for a very short period and let me tell you friend i found it to be excruciatingly bad

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

well-read undead posted:

aws has autoscalers for ec2 instance groups that you can connect to various metrics in various ways and i'm sure there are similar things in other public cloud providers….

Azure Container Apps is opinionated Azure Kubernetes Service that sets up ingress with properly signed certs for each app, autoscaling with good defaults but it takes all the fun of fiddling around with K8s away so I will never hear the end of the bellyaching about not using aks

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

FormatAmerica posted:

This is the truth. They'll run k8s on ec2 nodes, then they'll run AKS, then they'll get to wondering why they don't just run everything in ecs. Every step of the way OPS guy is blocking any attempt to go straight to the conclusion with "BUT WHAT IF WE NEED THE POWAR?!?"

Then once it's all finally peaceful they'll all move on to more senior jobs on this experience and get replaced by a bunch of wide eye'd noobs once again asking the unholy question and the cycle continues through yet more crap tech stacks.

FormatAmerica posted:

Azure Container Apps is opinionated Azure Kubernetes Service that sets up ingress with properly signed certs for each app, autoscaling with good defaults but it takes all the fun of fiddling around with K8s away so I will never hear the end of the bellyaching about not using aks
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE POWAH OF CUSTOM CONTROLLERS?

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 8, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

well-read undead posted:

my take is that adding abstractions to k8s makes it harder, not easier. a good multi-purpose helm chart or two is all you really need

e: and yes i know helm charts are an abstraction, but they're a nice thin one

helm is a horrid abomination of hasty design decisions and aimless open sores development

gotemplate should have never been let near yaml and is complete rear end to do anything complex with, which you'll inevitably need to do for a chart not targeted at a single environment because there's gently caress all way for end users to make their own adjustments

i also love the people that clamor for the ability to write their own templates inside values.yaml, like what the gently caress, why

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
look, it's not pleasant to write go templates, but it's completely manageable, and far better than running a whole additional stack of machinery that does god knows what

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i also love the people that clamor for the ability to write their own templates inside values.yaml, like what the gently caress, why

yeah that's cursed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
what if someone made an OS that you can just run your app in? and it was standardized so you could run your app in it everywhere. and you wouldn’t have to ship a whole userspace with your dumb service