Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the real value of containers is configuring ports and ip addresses of services in a consistent way
instead of configuring 100 services with a 100 different config formats to coexist on one machine you just throw up hand and say gently caress it, everything runs on the default port and we'll just work around it using network namespaces and iptables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Perplx posted:

the real value of containers is configuring ports and ip addresses of services in a consistent way
instead of configuring 100 services with a 100 different config formats to coexist on one machine you just throw up hand and say gently caress it, everything runs on the default port and we'll just work around it using network namespaces and iptables

this is very much it for me. i can put your /config store in a cute little pocket and give you your own very special port and i never have to think about you again

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

well-read undead posted:

i used ecs for a very short period and let me tell you friend i found it to be excruciatingly bad

What didn't you like about it? I haven't bothered with any of the "advanced" features I just set up a basic service in cloud formation and thought that was fine (well, "fine" compared to the background frustration of doing anything in AWS, which is high)

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

ADINSX posted:

What didn't you like about it? I haven't bothered with any of the "advanced" features I just set up a basic service in cloud formation and thought that was fine (well, "fine" compared to the background frustration of doing anything in AWS, which is high)

well, first of all, if i'm ever forced to use cloud formation i will face god and walk backwards into hell

but beyond that, i just chafed at the abstractions they chose. it's been a couple years now so i'm fuzzy on details but i remember a lot of friction with the way tasks were defined that made something as simple as rolling out a new version take more steps than should be necessary. and of course the console ui is dogshit but that's literally all of aws, so

i just found it very unpleasant to use is all. probably dialed in with some decent management tools that are not anything aws has made it wouldn't be that bad because at the end of day it's just a RUN CONTAINER ON COMPUTER tool

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

containers are good, especially for deploying python. namaste

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I disappointed our security team because their agent thing couldn’t run in our containers because they’re chiseled Ubuntu and the /bin and /lib folders are basically empty. Filesystem is so locked down it runs the app copied into it and that’s it.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

you’re security team is a pos

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
we use crowdstrike and it understands how containers work its nice

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

if one has to run an agent, why wouldn't one run it on the host os? you know, where the containers run?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

git apologist posted:

containers are good, especially for deploying python. namaste

yes, they are good bandaids for pythons awful versioning issues

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

rotor posted:

yes, they are good bandaids for pythons awful versioning issues

its true, it rules

i want more than anything else for this to be solved in a "ok here's how you actually should package and ship applications and this is what our tools provide" but there's already 12 of those and it'll just become #13 but official

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
systemtap is another thing that's completely rear end to try and get to run in kubernetes, between permissions and the host/container not having the same versions of poo poo.

eBPF is supposed to work as a better replacement for it in kubernetes but still needed a while to cook as far as not requiring specialized expert-level understanding of eBPF to use it outside some pre-configured setup. there's not as much readily available supporting tooling for it yet