Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Bouillon Rube posted:

crazy how the guy from butthole 🏄 outlived all of them

Gibby Haynes was great in Phallus in Wonderland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for the update Kurt Loder

I wonder if Lowtax was a fan

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

If Curt Kobain was alive this year he could have made a country album.

Darn shame, that is.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Wilkins Micawber posted:

When I was a kid my sister (a few years older than me) was going through a Ouija board phase. Me and my friend wanted some spooky fun and she agreed to "play" Ouija. So, she got us to meet a spirit who happened to be in the room at the time and their name was spelled out via planchette: K U R T C O B A I N.

Me and my friend had no idea who that was but it was very creepy, getting to meet someone from beyond the grave like that. Whoever this entity was, I hope they are resting in peace.

You know "Kurt Cobain" does sound like the name of a supernatural serial killer from beyond the grave like Freddy Krueger. Pretty freaky!

hot sauce pee hole
May 18, 2023

Anderson Koopa posted:

Lots of bands from that era lost members early.

Alice In Chains - Layne Staley
Blind Melon - Shannon Hoon
Sublime - Bradley Nowell
Stone Temple Pilots - Scott Weiland
Mother Love Bone - Andrew Wood
Screaming Trees - Mark Lanegan
Soundgarden - Chris Cornell

I'm sure there are more, but Grunge musicians tend to not have the longest shelf life.

This is how you know Eddie Vedder isn't a real grunge guy, he's still alive.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

hot sauce pee hole posted:

This is how you know Eddie Vedder isn't a real grunge guy, he's still alive.

oohhhaaahaahhhghhaaim still aliaiaiyayive

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i didn't realize this was a remix video at first. for a second though the dance at the end was actually original to the song. (e: the electronic song i mean, not the nirvana original)

honestly though, ladies slinging gap to an electronic remix of come as you are is what kurt would've wanted, if he still had a mouth he'd be grinning now.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 7, 2024

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQZFMsCJA6U

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Anderson Koopa posted:

Sublime - Bradley Nowell

I'm sure there are more, but Grunge musicians tend to not have the longest shelf life.

You can play this game with like all popular music of the past century. All the great acts and the supporting casts got death tolls. The really sad ones for me are all the loving amazing sidemen on 60s-70s country and rock, virtuoso musicians that died in their cars in the 80s.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 7, 2024

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

considering the amount of drugs he constantly did, mark lanegan lived a long-rear end time.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Teen Spirit solo in reverse is better than the regular version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSbo3xSflgc&hd=1&t=94s

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

20 Blunts posted:

You can play this game with like all popular music of the past century. All the great acts and the supporting casts got death tolls. The really sad ones for me are all the loving amazing sidemen on 60s-70s country and rock, virtuoso musicians that died in their cars in the 80s.

I play this game when someone has music streaming.

The Cranberries - Dolores O'Riordan

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

In Utero sucked except for Pennyroyal Tea. If an album comes with a suggestion for EQ settings in the liner notes to make it sound good that’s usually a bad sign. All of Nirvana’s good songs are collected on Incesticide.

Nirvana was the first band I really got into, in high school, around 2000/2001. It also happened to coincide with the rise of Napster, which was absolutely swimming in rare b-sides and unreleased tracks. As soon as Napster dropped, it seemed like it was open season on finding all of the rarest Nirvana poo poo imaginable. And I still have that collection of 128 kbps MP3s.

edit:

Anderson Koopa posted:

Sublime - Bradley Nowell

Mark Lanegan died two years ago, I would be hesitant to say he died "early". 57 is pretty respectable for a guy who smoked twelve hundred cigarettes a day for each of those 57 years.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 7, 2024

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Dying 30+ years after becoming famous doesn't count lol

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

XYZAB posted:

Nirvana was the first band I really got into, in high school, around 2000/2001. It also happened to coincide with the rise of Napster, which was absolutely swimming in rare b-sides and unreleased tracks. As soon as Napster dropped, it seemed like it was open season on finding all of the rarest Nirvana poo poo imaginable. And I still have that collection of 128 kbps MP3s.

edit:

Mark Lanegan died two years ago, I would be hesitant to say he died "early". 57 is pretty respectable for a guy who smoked twelve hundred cigarettes a day for each of those 57 years.

there's a part in one of lanegan's memoirs where he talks about how his favorite "drug" of the 90s was smoking crack, then asphyxiating himself while he shot heroin until it all hit at once. it's a miracle he lived as long as he did. dude was talented but a loving trainwreck.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Frances Bean Cobain looks like an exact 50/50 mixture of him & Courtney Love, usually people look like one of their parents more than the other one but she doesn't which I always found kind of cool/weird

Anyway, RIP Kurt :rip:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Kurt's been gone three decades?
:psyboom:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Tree Bucket posted:

Kurt's been gone three decades?
:psyboom:

Well he missed majority of the 90s, and all of the 00s 10s and now into the 20s, so it's really 4 decades

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wizard Master posted:

What are your guys thoughts on Cobain and his musical legacy?

My hot take is that honestly only Nevermind was any good for Nirvana albums. There are some absolute bangers on their other albums, but only Nevermind is a masterpiece from start to finish. And we also got the Foo Fighters from the break up of the band after his death, and the Foo Fighters are one of my favorite bands ever.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I said come in! posted:

My hot take is that honestly only Nevermind was any good for Nirvana albums. There are some absolute bangers on their other albums, but only Nevermind is a masterpiece from start to finish. And we also got the Foo Fighters from the break up of the band after his death, and the Foo Fighters are one of my favorite bands ever.

Ironically the band disagreed and felt nevermind was overproduced and that's why they went with Steve Albini for In Utereo

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

500excf type r posted:

Well he missed majority of the 90s, and all of the 00s 10s and now into the 20s, so it's really 4 decades
actually he's missed all of the 2000s so it's really a millennium

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

500excf type r posted:

Ironically the band disagreed and felt nevermind was overproduced and that's why they went with Steve Albini for In Utereo

i agree with them. i like the more live sound better

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

I said come in! posted:

:psyduck:

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I said come in! posted:

And we also got the Foo Fighters from the break up of the band after his death, and the Foo Fighters are one of my favorite bands ever.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. They are not my favourite band ever but they don't suck - which is something the vast majority of people on these forums thinks.

I remember being at the Witness festival in the early 2000's. Sonic Youth and Foo Fighters were playing on two different stages at the same time. I choose Foo Fighters and regret nothing.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

they suck rear end. but they do have a couple good singles

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

oh my god you chose them over sonic youth? :negative:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Someone told me Courtney Love murdered him but I have absolutely no idea if that is true.

Didn't seem to get much out of it if it is true.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Valko posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. They are not my favourite band ever but they don't suck - which is something the vast majority of people on these forums thinks.

I remember being at the Witness festival in the early 2000's. Sonic Youth and Foo Fighters were playing on two different stages at the same time. I choose Foo Fighters and regret nothing.

You should lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Bible posted:

Someone told me Courtney Love murdered him but I have absolutely no idea if that is true.

Didn't seem to get much out of it if it is true.

That conspiracy has been around for decades. It's hard to believe when you consider Kurt Cobain wrote songs almost exclusively about wanting to die.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Well here's a conspiracy.

When I was a much younger man, I was cajoled into entering a strip club.

A dancer entered the stage and Rape Me was playing.

Not being accustomed to the environment, I didn't really think there was anything strange about this.

A person of authority moved quickly and deliberately behind the bar to mute the PA system.

I've wondered now after some decades, was it the dancer's choice? Was it the DJ sabotaging her, or perhaps one of the other dancers? Was there any fallout from the management? Or was there someone in the crowd the manager noticed reacting in some way?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Wrong. It was yesterday. Idiot.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Anderson Koopa posted:

Sublime - Bradley Nowell

There was a bit of an obscure band called "Eleven" that had one of their members die in the latter 00s. Looking her up, Natasha Schneider, and I was surprised she had such a storied career for nearly a decade before the grunge scene started.

Elliott Smith also died in the early 00s, which seemed to draw some Cobain comparisons. He was viewed by some as the same sort of sensitive and moody talent that Kurt was, history of issues, and a suicide.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

JediTalentAgent posted:

There was a bit of an obscure band called "Eleven" that had one of their members die in the latter 00s. Looking her up, Natasha Schneider, and I was surprised she had such a storied career for nearly a decade before the grunge scene started.

Eleven are one of my favourite bands of all time, and Alain and Natasha were in Queens of the Stone Age when I saw them for the first time on their 2005 tour. Mark Lanegan was also famously a member of QOTSA, as was Dave Grohl, just a few short years before. The connections here are nuts.

If you want something that'll really blow your mind, Alain and Natasha can be seen in the video below, hanging out at Frank Zappa's house in 1993.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZKXEvNhq-Q

Alain can be seen at 22:52 talking to Frank, Natasha comes and sits down beside him at 24:15, Johnny Guitar Watson is in the background. Matt Groening of Simpsons fame is also somewhere in the video. Natasha can also be seen at 1:25:20.

In fact, Frank passed not too long after this video was made, and Alain and Natasha recorded this song about Frank's passing for their next album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwjDjCJP4R0

And this is to say nothing about how Alain graduated same year same high school as the guys from Red Hot Chili Peppers and was even in the band that ended up splitting up and becoming RHCP, which brings us back to another early grunge-era loss in Hillel Slovak who nobody seems to have brought up here. Or about how Alain produced Chris Cornell's later solo work post 1996 Soundgarden breakup.

There are so many insane connections that all point back to Alain that I'm surprised he isn't more well known.

Edit: Funny story. Alain's early band "What Is This?", which was the one that broke up when Flea and Hillel decided they'd rather be in Red Hot Chili Peppers, only had one marginally successful hit song: a cover of a song by The Spinners called "I'll Be There." It only ever charted in Canada. I am in Canada. I have memories of this song playing on the radio in the late 80s/early 90s as a young child, and then losing my loving mind in my 20s when I realized it was the same guy who wrote Hanging Tree for QOTSA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G50kXEqgvSY

But as far as 80s rock goes, their less commercial poo poo was actually pretty bangin'. Slovak's guitar on this EP is insane. I've got them all on vinyl. That's Flea on the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVfpwnZ8URM

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 8, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I said come in! posted:

That conspiracy has been around for decades. It's hard to believe when you consider Kurt Cobain wrote songs almost exclusively about wanting to die.

Maybe he wanted to die so much because he was dating Courtney Love.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Kurt, and I don't know if many of you know this, famously SWORE that he did NOT have a gun.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

The Bible posted:

Maybe he wanted to die so much because he was dating Courtney Love.

Doesn't track sorry

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Courtney Incapable-of-Love am I right? :smug:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

covidstomper58 posted:

Well here's a conspiracy.

When I was a much younger man, I was cajoled into entering a strip club.

A dancer entered the stage and Rape Me was playing.

Not being accustomed to the environment, I didn't really think there was anything strange about this.

A person of authority moved quickly and deliberately behind the bar to mute the PA system.

I've wondered now after some decades, was it the dancer's choice? Was it the DJ sabotaging her, or perhaps one of the other dancers? Was there any fallout from the management? Or was there someone in the crowd the manager noticed reacting in some way?

That shjts crazy man

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
I worked with a guy (he was my boss, lol) who said that happened at a club here back when that plant was a lot wilder and people would go to TD's Showclub down the street for lunch.

He said pretty much the exact same thing happened lol, this is the second time in my life I have heard that story with nearly the exact same details leaving everyone with the exact same questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
I was a huge Alice in Chains fan in the 1990s/early 2000s as a teen, and the other grunge bands I also really liked, were Soundgarden & Pearl Jam. I don't hate Nirvana at all, they had a huge cultural impact, I just felt they were overrated compared to other Seattle based bands & their musical abilities.

I had family who loved Kurt, so I might be biased, but one of the main things they constantly spoke about back then, was, "Kurt Cobain was a sweet wide eyed naive person, who had no interest in making any money whatsoever, at any point in his entire life, only music, and he hated money so much his commercial success forced him to commit suicide!" I found this quote in an old book in my collection, which does put that claim under a new light.

quote:

In April 1992 Kurt Cobain announced to Grohl & Novoselic that he wished to redraft Nirvana's publishing agreement. Up until this point, publishing royalties had been split evenly between the three band members: under the new arrangement proposed by Cobain, the band's publishing would be altered so that Cobain would receive 90% of the monies...and more contentiously, the agreement would be applied retroactively, dating back to the release of Nevermind. In effect, this agreement meant that both Grohl & Novoselic, now owed Cobain money. The ensuring arguments nearly split the band.

"This is a sticky conversation," Grohl told me in 2009, "but yeah, let's just say things changed. And I realised, "'Okay, wait, this isn't three guys in a van anymore." I kinda knew that, because my mom had a gold record on her wall, but that's when I started thinking, "You know, I don't know if I signed up for this, this isn't what I signed up for." When we signed our deal it was a three-way split. And sometimes that changes after you sell ten million loving records, you know? So the publishing issue came up...and I got nothing. Close to nothing. Like nothing at all...My first reaction was "Okay, yeah...I mean, like, how much do you need? I've already made enough money to buy a house....Holy poo poo! So that's not too terrible." And then I found out what it really meant. And I'm like "Wait a minute, should I be punished because I didn't know what I was signing?" Because apparently nobody else did either. So that was a big one. I considered bailing out at that point. But I stayed..."

Livo fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 8, 2024