Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

verbal enema posted:

wish I had a tiny elephant

Sadly, the tiny elephant project's resources have been diverted to creating full size dinosaurs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The american cheetah is a cheetah like cougar and not really closely related to actual cheetahs. Regardless, it was fast enough that the pronghorns (which are more closely related to giraffes then anything else) are one of the fastest animals on the planet as a result.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The breeds of dogs present in North America prior to European colonization may have been derived from several species of canids and not just from wolves. As far as I know no positive genetic testing has been done for it but there's a lot of ethnographic accounts that basically say "Uh these things look and act like the local fox/coyote species"

Edit: Elk in the southwest are mostly all transplants. The native species of Elk got hunted out sometime in the 1800s and Elk from Washington were brought in.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 9, 2024

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Homo sapiens soon, hopefully :twisted:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sadly, the tiny elephant project's resources have been diverted to creating full size dinosaurs

well that is loving dumb we all know how that ends up

No one made a documentary about tiny elephants ruining a theme park

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Telsa Cola posted:

We have archaeological evidence of a giant ground sloth hunt, which is pretty loving wild. Basically the hunt happened in an area where foot prints preserved well and you can mostly see how the hunt progressed and when the sloth noticed.

What happened to this country. We used to hunt giant sloths and now people just order food on DoorDishes. Let's sharpen some sticks and break into the zoo.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Dire wolves weren't wolves, or even closely related to wolves, but a seperate canid lineage which through parallel evolution looked like them.

Camels and horses evolved in the Americas, spread to Eurasia, and then went extinct until their reintroduction in historic times.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Cave bears may have been more omnivores then carnivores amd giant sloths may have been opportunistic omnivores.

Elephant bird eggs preserve hella well and it's not uncommon to find fragments of them on beaches in Madagscar

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

It's been almost 80 years since the last shoggoth was seen, are they extinct now?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

Camels and horses evolved in the Americas, spread to Eurasia, and then went extinct until their reintroduction in historic times.

That's some :2monocle: right there

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

There are caves in NA with definite layers of giant ground sloth and mastodon/mammoth poo poo which has preserved fairly well.

Big whoop. Wait until they find my bathroom some day

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Has anyone read "the ends of the world"? That book about all of the major extinctions is a real excellent read. The final chapters about the rise and eventual end of humans puts me in a really strange head space

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

Has anyone read "the ends of the world"? That book about all of the major extinctions is a real excellent read. The final chapters about the rise and eventual end of humans puts me in a really strange head space

I feel fine

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

gently caress if humans are around for a million more years we're probably gonna keep evolving somehow and it makes me wonder if we, like this stage of evolution, is gonna be us as we are now. Like if you showed a pic of say, Ronald Reagan or Eddie Murphy or Lucy Liu to a "human" from the year 1 million would they even consider us separate from Homo erectus? Will they still giggle at "Homo erectus?"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Those torpedo 50's breasts

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Thylacine.

oh sorry I thought this was the Still Alive Beasts thread :twisted:

There's still some people searching for evidence of extant thylacines such as the Thylacine Awareness Group Of Australia (TAGOA). They made a bit of a stir back in 2021 when they announced that one of their trailcams had captured photos which they believed were "unambiguous evidence" but when they finally made the photos public they turned out to be the usual inconclusive bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMEKGLjzjBE

Every now and then someone will snap a photo of a mysterious thylacine-shaped beast, like this critter photographed between Beacon Point and Clifton Springs in 2019 (a fairly built up region on the mainland where the remaining forested areas are extremely sparse)

It's a fox which has lost most of its tail fur to mange :shrug:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Telsa Cola posted:

The american cheetah is a cheetah like cougar and not really closely related to actual cheetahs. Regardless, it was fast enough that the pronghorns (which are more closely related to giraffes then anything else) are one of the fastest animals on the planet as a result.

The american cheetah is a misnomer. They're actually a subspecies of cougar found almost exclusively in new jersey and long island with fractured populations in connecticut, rhode island, Massachusetts and Delaware

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

A lot of recent glyptodon reconstructions keep giving them this dumb little trunk and I don't like it.

Apparently it comes from some paper that suggested that their necks didn't bend right to let their mouths reach the ground, which seems pretty dumb because that's about as low of a mouth as you can get.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

verbal enema posted:

wish I had a tiny elephant

Well you got the tiny trunk at least

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
How did glyptodons mate? It seems like a body shape uniquely poorly designed for that activity.
Yes my monitor is on.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's still some people searching for evidence of extant thylacines such as the Thylacine Awareness Group Of Australia (TAGOA). They made a bit of a stir back in 2021 when they announced that one of their trailcams had captured photos which they believed were "unambiguous evidence" but when they finally made the photos public they turned out to be the usual inconclusive bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMEKGLjzjBE

Every now and then someone will snap a photo of a mysterious thylacine-shaped beast, like this critter photographed between Beacon Point and Clifton Springs in 2019 (a fairly built up region on the mainland where the remaining forested areas are extremely sparse)

It's a fox which has lost most of its tail fur to mange :shrug:

I can't blame them. The head shape looks right, there's even a hint of stripes on the tail. If I'd devoted my life to thylacine-spotting and saw that photo, I would absolutely be thinking this is iiiiit

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 9, 2024

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lol that's very obviously a tabby cat, those dudes are delusional. Citing those photos as evidence of a thylacine is insane.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE2qu51DHZ4

I kinda adore this ...mockumentary? Dude uses a time traveling sailboat to visit a bunch of prehistoric seas and swim with various awesome critters. It's got pretty excellent cgi for the time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tree Bucket posted:

I can't blame them. The head shape looks right, there's even a hint of stripes on the tail. If I'd devoted my life to thylacine-spotting and saw that photo, I would absolutely be thinking this is iiiiit

That skinny-as-gently caress fox rear end is the big giveaway, thylacines had that dumptruck marsupial rear end

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Tree Bucket posted:

How did glyptodons mate? It seems like a body shape uniquely poorly designed for that activity.
Yes my monitor is on.

lay down on their side and sorta shimmy until their genitals touch

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Cave hyenas are basically genetically identical to modern spotted hyenas

Spotted hyenas are also still capable of developing winter coats, which is cool

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Thylacine.

oh sorry I thought this was the Still Alive Beasts thread :twisted:

He mouth too big for he gotdamn head.

free hubcaps posted:

I kinda adore this ...mockumentary? Dude uses a time traveling sailboat to visit a bunch of prehistoric seas and swim with various awesome critters. It's got pretty excellent cgi for the time.

Oh I love this. As much as I love the serious documentaries this scratches the Steve Irwin itch so well.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

khwarezm posted:

Lots of interesting information.

This was a fascinating read, thank you!

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 9, 2024

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Roundup Ready posted:

I was actually going to mention this! Apparently after the moas went extinct the haasts eagle started going after the other thing roughly that size. There's evidence of human skulls with deep claw like scratches in them.

I don't think they've ever found anything like that, just some stories about some kids maybe getting taken by them.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I don't think they've ever found anything like that, just some stories about some kids maybe getting taken by them.

There's no physical evidence of it happening but they were big enough to do so if they wanted.

My guess is people are mixing that up with the Taung Child which is a Australopithecus skull that does have some solid evidence of predation by a raptor.

But that's the only physical evidence I am aware of.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Telsa Cola posted:

My guess is people are mixing that up with the Taung Child which is a Australopithecus skull that does have some solid evidence of predation by a raptor.

100% it's this.

There's actually a few modern species of Eagles with similair wingspans, but Pouakai (maori name) was hella yoked and had comparatively short wings for an eagle, probably an adaptation to make hunting in forest and scrub easier.

I remember reading something somewhere that had calculated that getting hit by one would be like the equivalent force of getting a cinder-block dropped on your head from a 2-storey building or something :black101:

e] they were fat as hell, like 30% heavier than any modern eagle

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

free hubcaps posted:

Its a fun show, but reading up on ancient seas it annoys me that they made the late Cretaceous No. 1, and the late Jurassic is No. 2. The real deadliest seas were probably the Late Miocene (with Megalodon and Livyatan being two of the largest predators in the entire history of the earth) and the mid to late Triassic (the show actually considerably downsizes Cymbospondylus in its appearance during the Triassic segment compared to how large it could be, and later in the Triassic the gargantuan Shonisaurus and Shastasaurus showed up).

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Thanks for this amazing thread and high effort posts, it’s the bright spot in what’s been a depressing day. I had so much joy for extinct animals as a kid and I’m getting a snippet of that back.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've always wondered how people manage to work out how a creature looks like and how it operates based on a minimal amount of bone or material.

How do people know a creature would be 7 metres long based purely on a skull?

A skull is obviously a complex skeletal piece but I've also seen intricate descriptions and models based on far less.

Edit: I apologise if this is a dumb question. It's always intrigued me when a report comes out saying something like:

"We found the malleus of a new type of dinosaur, here is what it would have looked like when it was still alive"

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 10, 2024

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

You extrapolate based on related, more complete dinosaurs. It's only approximate and sometimes things change drastically based on new finds, like how Spinosaurus changes every couple of years.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kingo Ligma posted:

Well you got the tiny trunk at least

nooooo

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I've always wondered how people manage to work out how a creature looks like and how it operates based on a minimal amount of bone or material.

A skull is obviously a complex skeletal piece but I've also seen intricate descriptions and models based on far less.

Edit: I apologise if this is a dumb question. It's always intrigued me when a report comes out saying something like:

"We found the malleus of a new type of dinosaur, here is what it would have looked like when it was still alive"
Theyre mostly bullshitting

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

If you have similar remains, then you can extrapolate based on measurements/proportions, similar to like how if I died and someone found a femur fragment of me they could figure out I'm human and roughly my height. (IMO Human bone is pretty easy to ID, even when incredibly fragmentary).

People do get it wrong all the time though, and you need to have a comprehensive enough comprative collection to be able to do it well, AND either to time to look through and compare it or have done it enough for that specific species or whatever that you can just kinda tell by sight (still should show your work though)

There's also a reason why the size/weight ranges vary so much since it just gives you an estimate.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 10, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

titty_baby_ posted:

Theyre mostly bullshitting

They're just excitable, they're doing their best with the data they have available. :colbert:

Dino reconstructions get argued over for literally decades, in some cases there's been more than a century of arguing back and forth and certain camps gaining mainstream acceptance only to be dethroned when new evidence comes to light. I grew up in the 70s when dinos were still considered to be big squat lumbering lizards who lived in swamps, I remember when this book came out and reignited my love of dinos by making them cooler than ever:

Here's a fun video showing how the reconstructions of various dinos changed over time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgqQNBuGGWg

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I love the iguanadon and their aggressive thumb spikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

aminals