Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Man I loved reading about dinos as a kid. But I kind of assume all kids did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Man I loved reading about dinos as a kid. But I kind of assume all kids did.

Kids love the taste of Kix.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

All this discussion reminds me of those pictures that pop up from time to time, illustrating modern animals as if they were reconstructions based on their skeletons.

Swan

Baboon

Elephant, zebra, rhino

I know there's a lot of artistic license taken for comedic effect, but it works, they make me laugh every time.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
I'm pretty sure I can tell which part of the conversation reminded you of that.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

All this talk about bad reconstruction reminds me of that Extinct Beast thread in GBS

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah poo poo, I would've sworn I'd read everything so I didn't bother to go back and check. Well, enjoy seeing them again! :yikes:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Remember- the Time Vortex can open anywhere, any time! This winter, stay Dino-Safe with the Three R's of Dinosaur Awareness:
*REGISTER* the encounter with the Bureau of Temporally Displaced Ceratopsians through the handy MyReptile app;
*RUN* away;
*RUN* awaaaaaaaaay.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My plan remains the same:

I get to their sensitive underbelly and inflict maximum damage if called on

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I've always wondered how people manage to work out how a creature looks like and how it operates based on a minimal amount of bone or material.

How do people know a creature would be 7 metres long based purely on a skull?

A skull is obviously a complex skeletal piece but I've also seen intricate descriptions and models based on far less.

Edit: I apologise if this is a dumb question. It's always intrigued me when a report comes out saying something like:

"We found the malleus of a new type of dinosaur, here is what it would have looked like when it was still alive"

It's a pretty straightforward process

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Last Visible Dog posted:

It's a pretty straightforward process

Oh poo poo, it’s Science Made Stupid! What a great book.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I like glyptodons.

those guys are cool

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

This thread cannot go on without hearing my favorite success story in all of natural history: the Lystrosaurus

This stupid looking thing is a dicynodont therapsid, a vaguely reptilian relative of modern mammals. They were pig-like herbivores about the size of a small dog, and for a period of hundreds of thousands of years, they were the single most successful animal life on Earth. How the gently caress did THAT happen?

The Permian Extinction, that's how. 70% of all terrestrial animal species were wiped out, but somehow the Lystrosaurus survived. It entered a world where every carnivore large enough to prey upon them, and every herbivore that could compete with them, were dead. The Great Dying created a Garden of Eden for these little buggers, and for a long time 95% of all land animals were just Lystrosauruses. Imagine if you went outside and nineteen out of every twenty animals you saw were just, like, guinea pigs or corgis or some other lovely animal just bumbling along without a hint of hunger or fear.

Sadly, the good times couldn't last, and the Lystrosaurus died out before the Middle Triassic as other stuff evolved to eat them and compete in their ecological niche. Still, remember them as the only animal in the history of life on Earth to rival humanity for total dominance of their biosphere, despite being slow stupid pig-lizards. Because sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Imagine if you went outside and nineteen out of every twenty animals you saw were just, like, guinea pigs or corgis or some other lovely animal just bumbling along without a hint of hunger or fear.

The capybara of their time

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

This thread cannot go on without hearing my favorite success story in all of natural history: the Lystrosaurus

This stupid looking thing is a dicynodont therapsid, a vaguely reptilian relative of modern mammals. They were pig-like herbivores about the size of a small dog, and for a period of hundreds of thousands of years, they were the single most successful animal life on Earth. How the gently caress did THAT happen?

The Permian Extinction, that's how. 70% of all terrestrial animal species were wiped out, but somehow the Lystrosaurus survived. It entered a world where every carnivore large enough to prey upon them, and every herbivore that could compete with them, were dead. The Great Dying created a Garden of Eden for these little buggers, and for a long time 95% of all land animals were just Lystrosauruses. Imagine if you went outside and nineteen out of every twenty animals you saw were just, like, guinea pigs or corgis or some other lovely animal just bumbling along without a hint of hunger or fear.

Sadly, the good times couldn't last, and the Lystrosaurus died out before the Middle Triassic as other stuff evolved to eat them and compete in their ecological niche. Still, remember them as the only animal in the history of life on Earth to rival humanity for total dominance of their biosphere, despite being slow stupid pig-lizards. Because sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good.

lol this is an amazing fact I did not know, thank you. Lystrosaurus rules! (until of course it didn't)

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

redshirt posted:

My plan remains the same:

I get to their sensitive underbelly and inflict maximum damage if called on

Same but it's maximum belly rubs.

I will also offer scritches on request.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Asterite34 posted:

Man I love Lystrosaurus being the most unlikely possible animal to inherit the earth, for a while. Something I've always wondered about is what exactly it had going for it that allowed to survive and explode in population afterward? Its bigger than most other animals that tend to survive mass extinctions, but as you say, it doesn't seem that impressive and petered out pretty quickly when the rest of the ecosystem recovered (though Dicynodonts as a whole remained important parts of the ecosystem until the end of the Triassic).

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

khwarezm posted:

Man I love Lystrosaurus being the most unlikely possible animal to inherit the earth, for a while. Something I've always wondered about is what exactly it had going for it that allowed to survive and explode in population afterward? Its bigger than most other animals that tend to survive mass extinctions, but as you say, it doesn't seem that impressive and petered out pretty quickly when the rest of the ecosystem recovered (though Dicynodonts as a whole remained important parts of the ecosystem until the end of the Triassic).

There is a couple theories but the two I buy the most is that burrow and turns out being used to living in darkness in low oxygen environments is pretty good when the surface world turns to poo poo. Plus there is evidence they could hibernate.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

They have a cool exhibit here at the museum based around a 13,650-year-old steppe bison skull found in Tsiigehtchic (pronounced something like "Sig-a-chick") Northwest Territories in 2007. It's been a few years but it also had some other cool animals mocked up like giant beavers IIRC. This thread is making me want to go check it out again.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

They pulled the ultimate Steven Bradbury

.... and then just kept doing a self-congratulatory victory lap for 30 million years :v:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

khwarezm posted:

You really can't go wrong with Spinosaurus, every time you read an article or listen to a podcast featuring a scientist talking about this animal you can just tell that they harbour an impossible urge to beat the poo poo out of the other scientists who disagree with them until they stop doing science wrong, especially as it relates to whether or not they used their tail to swim.

What podcasts do you like for this kind of thing?

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme

Asterite34 posted:

these little buggers

Awww, I'm so happy for them! They seem nice.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Asterite34 posted:

Imagine if you went outside and nineteen out of every twenty animals you saw were just, like, guinea pigs or corgis or some other lovely animal just bumbling along without a hint of hunger or fear.

ah, so it's an mmorpg

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Asterite34 posted:

I think this was in the movie Evolution

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Me and my Lystrosaurus

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I think this was in the movie Evolution

That movie rules

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Thank you for the replies to my question, they were enlightening.

I did enjoy reading about the Aachenosaurus. A dinosaur identified from fragments found in the region of Aachen. In 1887, Gerard Smets conducted extensive studies and declared that the fossils were a Hadrosaur with dermal spines. But after someone else looked at the fossils it turned out they they were actually petrified wood. Smets doubled down but was proven false again by a committee. He was so embarrassed by this that he decided to quit the field of science forever.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wooden dinosaur

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Oh there's a lot of paleontology fringe theories, some of them slightly weird and some of them completely off the loving wall. Here's an iceberg list from Reddit:

Here's part 1 of a Youtube series about this iceberg. I've only just found it and started watching it so I can't vouch for its quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9elMHLG7Rc

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The first scientific paper analyzing a dinosaur bone concluded it was the fossilized scrotum of a giant from the Bible.

https://blog.biodiversitylibrary.org/2015/10/the-first-described-and-validly-named-dinosaur-megalosaurus.html

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Smets was later somewhat vindicated when it was revealed the fossils were of a dinosaur ventriloquist dummy.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh there's a lot of paleontology fringe theories, some of them slightly weird and some of them completely off the loving wall. Here's an iceberg list from Reddit:

Here's part 1 of a Youtube series about this iceberg. I've only just found it and started watching it so I can't vouch for its quality

Good username/post combo

"Paleovirus currently dethawing", so... Freezing?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The wikipedia rabbit hole (lystrosaurus burrow??) has led to the phrase "the Great Dying"

e: "triassic disaster taxon"

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 11, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
im down with birds evolved from flying fish

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

In the strictest taxonomic sense, birds are a sort of flying fish

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The thing that gets missed is that's it's all guesses. Some are better informed and elegant. There is literally hard evidence in the fossils but much of the animals behavior and appearance comes down to best guess and is prone to change.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

I’d give you partial credit on my evolution exam for this answer.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Zesty posted:

What podcasts do you like for this kind of thing?

I've been mostly listening to Palaeocast and Terrible Lizards, the former is a bit more ramshackle and infrequent while also covering a wider range of topics and having a lot of good guests and hosts with knowledge of the subject, the latter is more professional and regular, but its a lot more focused on dinosaurs and pterosaurs (nothing about the Paleozoic or Cenozoic) and it tends to be more introductory, with one of the hosts being a dinosaur novice. Notably the episodes these two podcasts have done about Spinosaurus have pretty much completely opposing viewpoints.

I've also been meaning to listen to the Tetrapod Zoology podcast more regularly because I've always found Darren Naish's blog a good read, annoyingly though its not on Spotify, and it hasn't been updated in a long time. I'm also going to start listening to Common Descent as well which has been recommended to me.

In addition to podcasts there are a lot of youtube channels I can recommend.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Darren Naish is cool and it was wild learning he had a big part in lots of the dinosaur books I read as a kid.

Whats everyones favorite dinosaur, mines pachyrinosaurus.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Telsa Cola posted:

Whats everyones favorite dinosaur, mines pachyrinosaurus.

The Common Raven.

:smug:

Edit; man the whole 'did you know, birds are dinosaurs' factoid is so perfect for any snotty twelve year old and I will never grow out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Asterite34 posted:

What? No, Man After Man was Dougal Dixon, the guy who did After Man and The New Dinosaurs

Oh dang, I thought they were all done by the same guy. I think I was getting The New Dinosaurs and the aforementioned book confused.

I liked the Palentology Iceberg video series, good listens to while I was painting, but yea, a lot of it is one rando having some crazy theory and not people who actually know things suggesting different and novel new interpretations of actual evidence. I watched one called Paleontological Cryptids, thinking it would be about weird stuff in the fossil record, but it was more "a bunch of drunk rednecks swore they saw a raptor at their meth and moonshine party".