Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Anyone else think Dodos would be fun to have around again? Just slightly larger more docile chickens?

Laying big stupid eggs on golf courses.

Seems like a missed opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Wish I could watch hilarious dodo videos on youtube :sigh:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Busters posted:

Anyone else think Dodos would be fun to have around again? Just slightly larger more docile chickens?

Laying big stupid eggs on golf courses.

Seems like a missed opportunity.

That'd be fun, I wonder what their actual behavior would be like. The descriptions always remind me of some of the larger farm breed chickens I've raised, with most of their wild traits bred out of them over the years - gentle and fun but very much on the dumber side. Like, dumb enough that you have to bring them back into the coop at night if they're free ranging, because otherwise they'll just fall asleep out in the open where a predator can walk up and grab them.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I bet they'd be good eating too!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Giant pterosaurs freak me out. loving vicious giraffe sized flying lizards who know no pity or remorse. You could barter with a T Rex I reckon, maybe even befriend a Spinosaurus. But a Quetzalcoatlus would go out of it's way to kill you, not for food or even for sport, just out of a sheer lack of inhibitions.

Deformed Church posted:

I bet they'd be good eating too!

Apparently not! Their meat was described as "offensive and of no nourishment" where have I heard that before?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Whorelord posted:

Giant pterosaurs freak me out. loving vicious giraffe sized flying lizards who know no pity or remorse. You could barter with a T Rex I reckon, maybe even befriend a Spinosaurus. But a Quetzalcoatlus would go out of it's way to kill you, not for food or even for sport, just out of a sheer lack of inhibitions.

Apparently not! Their meat was described as "offensive and of no nourishment" where have I heard that before?

Im not trusting a bunch of white people from 1600s on what constitutes good food.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Telsa Cola posted:

Im not trusting a bunch of white people from 1600s on what constitutes good food.

People from the 1600s who hadn't had access to anything other than hardtack and salt cod for months still thinking that Dodos tastes awful makes me think that they did in fact, taste awful.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
you probably just had to be there. buffoonery is the sweetest spice of all

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Whorelord posted:

People from the 1600s who hadn't had access to anything other than hardtack and salt cod for months still thinking that Dodos tastes awful makes me think that they did in fact, taste awful.

Especially since there were reports from around the same time that Galapagos tortoises were especially delicious

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

newts posted:

I’d give you partial credit on my evolution exam for this answer.

I think it was my vertebrate bio prof who said "Hagfish aren't fish. But cows are fish. But hagfish aren't fish."

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Captain Hygiene posted:

That'd be fun, I wonder what their actual behavior would be like. The descriptions always remind me of some of the larger farm breed chickens I've raised, with most of their wild traits bred out of them over the years - gentle and fun but very much on the dumber side. Like, dumb enough that you have to bring them back into the coop at night if they're free ranging, because otherwise they'll just fall asleep out in the open where a predator can walk up and grab them.

Having spent time around chickens, I've always thought the "dumb as a dodo" stereotype was probably slightly inaccurate. A lot of small ground birds are very dumb. Chickens can be too dumb to live and too dumb to die.

Like the quokkas, dodo's lacked predators. So they probably weren't dumb (or any dumber than a chicken) they just lacked flight or fight behaviors. So they would probably be cute pets.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

maybe they tasted like seagulls which are apparently so abhorrent that no culture on earth eats them

Knormal posted:

The first scientific paper analyzing a dinosaur bone concluded it was the fossilized scrotum of a giant from the Bible.

now that's some good poo poo

Buce fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 12, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Especially since there were reports from around the same time that Galapagos tortoises were especially delicious

The QI (Quite Interesting) panel discussing how the tortoises took too long to describe and name because of their deliciousness is one of my favorite parts of the show: https://youtu.be/zPggB4MfPnk?si=7aeO5OZToS6noa2D

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

People have eaten seagulls.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Knormal posted:

The first scientific paper analyzing a dinosaur bone concluded it was the fossilized scrotum of a giant from the Bible.

https://blog.biodiversitylibrary.org/2015/10/the-first-described-and-validly-named-dinosaur-megalosaurus.html

Buce posted:

now that's some good poo poo

As the link mentions, the description was likely a joke but it was correctly following the Linnaean system of binomial nomenclature and it was legitimately published which technically established precedence so according to the rules that dinosaur should actually be called Scrotum humanum in every museum and text book.
Paleontologists quietly decided to ignore the official rules just this once and renamed it Megalosaurus bucklandii.

Edit: goddamn, they were still arguing over this as recently as 1993

quote:

According to the rules of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN), the name Scrotum humanum in principle had priority over Megalosaurus because it was published first. That Brookes understood that the stone did not actually represent a pair of petrified testicles was irrelevant. Merely the fact that the name had not been used in subsequent literature meant that it could be removed from competition for priority, because the ICZN states that if a name has never been considered valid after 1899, it can be made a nomen oblitum, an invalid "forgotten name".

In 1993, after the death of Halstead, his friend William A.S. Sarjeant submitted a petition to the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature to formally suppress the name Scrotum in favour of Megalosaurus. He wrote that the supposed junior synonym Megalosaurus bucklandii should be made a conserved name to ensure its priority. However, the Executive Secretary of the ICZN at the time, Philip K. Tubbs, did not consider the petition to be admissible, concluding that the term "Scrotum humanum", published merely as a label for an illustration, did not constitute the valid creation of a new name, and stated that there was no evidence it was ever intended as such. Furthermore, the partial femur was too incomplete to definitely be referred to Megalosaurus and not a different, contemporary theropod.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalosaurus#%22Scrotum_humanum%22

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 12, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's fool's gold to think you can just toy with lifeforms and their behaviors.

Poor Lystrosaurus....

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

titty_baby_ posted:

People have eaten seagulls.

bad luck to eat a seabird

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

As the link mentions, the description was likely a joke but it was correctly following the Linnaean system of binomial nomenclature and it was legitimately published which technically established precedence so according to the rules that dinosaur should actually be called Scrotum humanum in every museum and text book.
Paleontologists quietly decided to ignore the official rules just this once and renamed it Megalosaurus bucklandii.

Like manospondylus being renamed TYRANT LIZARD KIIIIIING

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tree Bucket posted:

Like manospondylus being renamed TYRANT LIZARD KIIIIIING

Good, gently caress ED Cope :colbert:

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I think it was in a Shackleton book how after a long period of no good food they came across an albatross nest with a couple juvenile birds in it. The author explained how sailors had a strong kinship with the albatross but they were famished and full of guilt and remorse grabbed a bird, cooked it up and ate every last bit of it including the marrow and went back for the other bird later on.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

verbal enema posted:

wish I had a tiny elephant

In the original Jurassic Park novel John Hammond had a tiny genetically engineered elephant he used to wow investors, like the size of a cat. Except it bit everyone and was always sick, on account of the messed up genetic engineering.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like platybelodon, gomphothere, amybelodon and other weird elephants and so-called "shovel-tuskers"

there was this long period of the Pleistocene where elephants kept evolving hosed up weird as poo poo lower teeth

aaaaaa

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Leperflesh posted:

I like platybelodon, gomphothere, amybelodon and other weird elephants and so-called "shovel-tuskers"

there was this long period of the Pleistocene where elephants kept evolving hosed up weird as poo poo lower teeth

aaaaaa

some animals deserve to be extinct

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

We all deserve whatever we get....

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh i said pleistocene but that's wrong these were oligocene guys sorry bout that

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Leperflesh posted:

aaaaaa

I'd completely forgotten about those things. Alongside Bigfoot and cliche grey aliens, I think those were the things that unsettled me the most as a kid in book illustrations. So, thanks for the memories :stonkhat:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Leperflesh posted:

aaaaaa

I want a time machine to go check these out.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 13, 2024

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

aaaaaa

Literally loling at these goofy freaks

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

ChubbyChecker posted:

Not these guys though, these guys are cool. Big ol' underbite elephants

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

aaaaaa

They all look like they're saying "guyyyys hold on guyyss"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

every single drawing wants to show off those teeth so literally 100% of them are going "aaaAAAHHHH"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Leperflesh posted:

every single drawing wants to show off those teeth so literally 100% of them are going "aaaAAAHHHH"

It's always hilarious when it happens. Sometimes the critters are going "aaaAAAHHHH" and sometimes they're doing a Professor Frink impersonation

The toxodon was a boring basic-bitch hornless rhino thing which was completely uninteresting except for two facts: 1) Charles Darwin was one of the first people to collect toxodon fossils, paying a Uruguayan farmer 18 pence for a skull, and 2) it has some big-rear end novelty nerd teeth:

Since the teeth are pretty much the toxodon's only interesting physical feature a lot of the paleo art makes it look like a dumb goober nerd:

That photo comes from a hilariously rundown prehistoric animal sculpture park in Cordisburgo, Brazil
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Stones+Zoo/@-19.1221006,-44.3180069,343m/

There's a lot more wacky paleo art in that old PYF thread

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hurf Durf I'm extinct!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do you ever think that while you were out walking today you may have thoughtlessly crushed the plant or insect carrying the mutation that would have led to whole new branch on the tree of life? That you just sprayed disinfectant on a bacteria that only eats cancerous cells?

Every time I jerk off and wipe the jizz up with kleenex and then flush that poo poo I congratulate myself that "today I have not potentially sired the next hitler".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Asterite34 posted:

This thread cannot go on without hearing my favorite success story in all of natural history: the Lystrosaurus

if i had a time machine id go chill with these dudes for all eternity.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Not facts, but I've always liked The Ugly Chickens.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

flubber nuts posted:

if i had a time machine id go chill with these dudes for all eternity.

They were small dog sized, so imagine rolling one on its back and giving it some belly rubs.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It looks like you're trying to evolve. Would you like help?

This friend is the Diplomoceras. I don't know why he's like this, and you'd have to go back 70 million years to ask.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
why the long shell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

If you know of a better way to hold your ancient stacks of giant papers together I'd like to hear it.