Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

There are videos of endless numbers of toddlers who are able to recount specific details of deceased strangers lives including names of children, profession, manner of death and claim that they are that person who died and then was born again as their present self.

i get that kids have infinite egos and if they overheard a story, the protagonist just becomes them. But most of these times it's just some random man or woman with no relation to the family, who no one would recount information about.

And it always comes out frankly, not in the typical exaggerated "and then the dinosaur came and he put the firefighter in his basketball and the basketball rolled onto the trampoline and bluey came and made a new trampoline" fashion.

what's going on?

Is there a sort of waiting area afterlife where souls wait to hop into a new body?

is it just weird coincidence generation from billions of dead human beings and the untrimmed neuronal pathways of chirrrdren?

What's up??? What's the deal??

What if souls are not just real but contain various properties and characteristics?

Whats going on?

It's that or their very religious parents have fed them a ton of bullshit and convinced them it was real.

I personally hope for the latter. What happens when the sun expands and incinerates the Earth if we are just endlessly reincarnated? Just popping into the void of space for a few agonizing seconds then dying, only to pop in again, for eternity?

When my son was 4 he told me that he was visited nightly by an alien named "Lang" while I was sleeping. Kids say weird poo poo.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Elukka posted:

Donald is technically correct but uninsightful. Why does understanding the mechanism of a thing cheapen it? My thoughts and feelings are chemicals and electrical impulses, yes. That doesn't make them less real. It's how they work.

Likewise it's true that the universe lacks meaning, because meaning or a lack of it is a thing assigned by human minds. The universe can't have intrinsic meaning, but it's not really a negative lack of meaning either, its value isn't true or or false but null. We make meaning. The universe doesn't, and couldn't, and it's not deficient for that.

Because people want magic and explaining a thing takes that magic away from them.

"We are special and chosen goddamn it and your SCIENCE doesn't mean poo poo so there. If there's no afterlife then all the people I hate won't burn in hell so what would even be the point?"

...or, something along those lines. People fear the void, they'll believe anything that can convince them it doesn't exist. poo poo, maybe there is something after death, but no one alive is going to know about it, they're just following fantasies.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 8, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Remember that Malarkey kid who said he went to Heaven and met his grandpa and Jesus and stillborn sister and it later turned out that his parents just made all that poo poo up to sell a book and religious people were all just completely shocked that none of it was true?

That was pretty funny.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Remember when a social worker attempted to convince Congress that there was a global network of Satanic pedophiles because a bunch of kindergartners had been coaxed by their parents into lying about having been molested at a preschool

That was less funny.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

That which can be created can be destroyed.

I don't think trillions of consciousnesses (only billions if you don't count non-human ones, also only accounting for life on Earth) have been around since the instant of the big bang, so makes sense that consciousness has to be created.

Someone explained it to me like a Soccer game. While it is being played, that game exists. When it ends, that game no longer exists. It is over. It does not exist elsewhere in some other realm, still being played. It is gone now.

Another analogy for engineer types is a daemon. It is called, performs various functions while it exists, but is eventually terminated. That process is no longer running. It is not in some process afterlife, still running alongside all the other terminated daemons. It was an event that is simply no longer happening.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Pontificating rear end posted:

Consciousness would exist independent of this universe, which itself is probably one of relatively infinite universes. Also, if you look at the universe as a whole, from start to finish, the number of souls does not change, it's a finite number. A finite number which is presumably less than the actual number of unassociated souls (also some number approaching infinity).

Reincarnation seems to obvious to me- I'm surprised the idea is consistently scoffed at. Yes, you have lived before, and you will live again, and again. Organized religion is literally the reason we believe otherwise.

You use the word "probably".

What probabilities are you basing this on? Why is it more likely there is more than one universe? What do you even have to base that on? How can you be so sure consciousness exists independently of the universe? Have you tested a consciousness both inside and outside of a universe? Have one sitting in a jar somewhere?

Mind you, I'm not saying you're wrong, just asking why you're so sure that you're right.

(consciousness causing a probabilistic wave collapse, quantum or otherwise)

Ah, nevermind then.

So what New Age self-help book did you get all this from?

The Bible fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 8, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Seriously though, kids latch on to anything that gets a reaction. When one of my cousins was 3, he heard this old Budweiser commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ksf3Oe8cU

and his dad laughed.

3 hours later and he's loving shrieking "Doobie Doobie Doo" at the top of his lungs. Kids don't know when to let a bit go when it once got them some attention.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I actually manifested this post. I imagined you making this post exactly and it now manifested.

rear end in a top hat.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

my rebuttal to the people saying kids are just lying is in those books I linked. some kids are able to relay specific details of random dead strangers with no connection to their families. and it happens a lot.

According to their families. The people selling the books.

Then again, it's not like there are books or websites about people in history.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 8, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

People be videotaping their kids doing this in the present day without knowing about this dead mon. It's just going on whether we like it or not.

I get that kids say random poo poo, the viral one of today was a little Mexican girl weeping because she isn't Chinese. But why say verifiable poo poo specifically details from dead strangers lives.

Lots of problems with some central supply of souls due to the ever increasing number of people. Which would imply some people get born without a soul or something? Doesn't make sense. Consciousness is a strange thing. Some people say it's fake. Some people disagree

Because the parents researched those people and fed details to the kid, then manipulated them into regurgitating it on the news.

Seriously, people do lie. All the time. This isn't really a 50/50 thing. The kid is almost certainly repeating something he was taught.

This is pretty loving obvious, man.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

sex excellence posted:

When a scam works a lot of people do it. There were more nails on display at various Abby's and villages than Christ had limbs for. Enough fragments of the cross to build seven of them lol. There's your answer, and the truth

Nuh uh because the parents SAID they didn't tell him and even though they were able to confirm the details about this person's life online they couldn't have had any way to know about it beforehand.

They're virtually all Christians too, so of course they can't be lying.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

For reals though, epigenetics is a super interesting field and there’s evidence that suggests that some memories* can be transmitted on to younger generations.

Oh for gently caress's sake...

That isn't epigenetics!

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

parents seem more weirdly perplexed than anything

Because. they. are. running. a. scam.

Read that again.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Random strangers saying my kid is doing something weird and gaining no money from it sounds like a great scam. Rational redditor rear end

The parents are the ones making the claim. They researched some rando, taught the kid a bunch of poo poo and convinced him he is the reincarnation of that person. Then they act surprised in front of cameras.

They are selling a book about it. There is a clear profit motive. It is the most basic level of scam, below even Nigerian Prince email scams.

This is a Poe, isn't it?

The Bible fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 8, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010

You know what, I'm actually turned around on this. I believe you.

So I'm going to let you in on a great investment opportunity. Ever hear of a crawdad farm?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

My LEARNED ASSERTION is consciousness does not use quantum magic, rather events occur from a wave of probability collapsing to a singular event. If consciousness makes a choice that causes an event to occur, then the CHOICE has informed this action, and that causes the singular event to be cemented in history FROM what is otherwise only probability.

No offense, but this is gibberish.

I'm no quantum physicist, but I know enough about it to know that you aren't either. This is straight nonsense.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Sorry but it's all sound logic and the wording is concise. It doesnt hurt the thread :justpost:

It's gibberish but yeah it's funny and makes the thread funnier so we can at least agree on that.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Citing physics to prove the existence of a soul or reincarnation or mindreading is like citing gastronomy to prove that dragons are real.

If the soul were real though there would be no reason it couldn't be proven to exist.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Well if it's a recipe for roast loving dragon why not? Why would someone go to the trouble?

If dragons are reptiles then they'll be crawling with salmonella. There's a reason we typically don't eat reptiles.

Now I'm waiting for someone to post actual reptiles that are eaten.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Chicken is riddled with salmonella and we eat more of them than anything else but we eat 12 times more lizards than fish.

So what kind of delicious reptiles have I been missing out on?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Smugworth posted:

Yea good luck praying to your imaginary sky TPS reports

See now I know this is all bullshit because no way in hell I ever did a shitton of paperwork in any life.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

what’s the overlap with people believing 3 year olds are recalling past lives with people big into UFOs? it’s gotta be drat near the exact same set of people right?

Basically, yeah.

These people can't handle being told they are wrong, and they won't tell each other that they are wrong, because then they might say the same thing to you, so everything overlaps with everything.

UFOs are aliens are demons are angels are time-travelers. It's all true at the same time, as long as everyone in your circles agree to support everyone else's bullshit.

The only thing that isn't true is something that tells you that you are wrong.

Linux Pirate posted:

Reincarnation sounds like a pain in the rear end. Also the children are lying or are being told to talk about that poo poo from adults.

But the adults said they didn't tell them to...

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 9, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Why is he doing the Gangnam Style dance?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Mmmmm pseudo-profound bullshit

Something about gluons I don't understand so you see we're all really just energy man

The Bible
May 8, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Yeah, I actually do enjoy meditation as a grounding, processing and relaxation exercise, but pretending it delivers the answers of the universe is no more wishful thinking than obliging yourself every Sunday to kneel will allow you to channel a version of the Abrahamic God.

As if most Christians actually attend church.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Turns out you don't have a soul until you turn 5 or 6 so toddlers and pre-K are inherently easier for ghosts to possess

This is the most believable thing in the thread so far.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Stunt-Puffin posted:

What happens to our eternally reincarnating souls after the heat death of the universe? We all just floatin' around the infinite void of absolute darkness for the rest of forever?

God something something Quantum Fluctuations something about Simulation Theory and it all makes sense again.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

The ones that are even more confusing are the ones that are like "He's the reincarnation of my dad" when the dad was alive when the kid was born.

I'm sure you could shoehorn some quantum superpositioning argument into it, though.

Also perplexing when they are some flavor of Christian. I hear a lot about funerals where a butterfly gets in the building or something and yup, that's definitely grandma, saying goodbye to us. Also she's in Heaven.

And then I guess grandma either gets stuck in the building, dies, and dries up a couple days later or gets eaten by a bird or whatever.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 11, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Ironic she would die the same way twice in a row

:(

My grandma was also eaten by a bird.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Collateral posted:

This is it. I did similar things when I was little. After, according to my dad, screaming for my entire first loving year, I started to learn words. I would tell my mum about things that had happened in the 60's, particularly about her favourite cousin who got wiped out on a moped in '63. It freaked her out a lot. The reality was that my grandfather, a clever scallywag, picked up on my tendancy to repeat things I had heard in personal terms, and would tell me about stuff I wouldn't know. He thought it was hilarious. Except the time I told him about a robbery he and his brothers planned but never followed through on.

I have no memory of any of this.

My uncle taught me all the songs from the Cheech and Chong movies and never told anyone he did it.

I caused a lot of extra parent-teacher conferences due to that. Never even occurred to me to tell anyone where I learned the songs. I didn't even understand them.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

IF you are using this logic, the universe ultimately is a finite timeline from start to finish!! there is certain a number of souls in the timeline you foolS!! they are not created nor destroyed!I!

Anyway I still find it interesting 6 pages later itt that people do so much mental gymnastics to try and explain away reincarnation. Billions of years and an entire unknown existence beyond this universe, and you think you just happened to spawn at this current time by complete happenstance, and you will soon die and never exist again. just lmao lol etc

I mean, we aren't going to spawn in a time/place that doesn't support life, so of course.

It's the Anthropic Principle.

We're not really explaining it away, either. To do that, it would need to be something that obviously exists. You can't disprove something that hasn't first been proven.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Dawg you are literally talking about the mechanics of quantizing the soul (into exactly one [1pc] unit) and the specifics of when it enters the body, leaves it, and whether it can be created or destroyed as if it follows thermodynamic laws of matter.

Why should we assume that it doesn't?

This whole "mystical bullshit I believe doesn't obey the laws of the universe" has never sat well with me. Anything that exists in this universe follows the rules of it. Anything that exists can be proven to exist.

There's no reason to believe that scientific observation should always fail to detect something like a soul. If it does exist, it occupies space (living beings, presumably), has an effect on them, leaves when they die, etc. There's no reason any of this shouldn't be observable. You could argue that we simply haven't figured out how to detect it yet, but then you're just defeating your own assertion that it exists. You don't know any more about it than anyone else in that case.

This post is like ghost hunters waving around electronics tools and insisting a ghost is in the room because there's an electrical field near the light socket. Why assume a ghost would even project such a field, and in such a broad range that any imporperly calibrated sensor will detect it? One would need to first capture a ghost and test it under a variety of conditions to know if that would be a valid means of detecting them. You can't just use random tools made for totally different purposes and expect them to actually do anything related to ghost hunting. What are you using to determine that souls don't obey the laws of thermodynamics? Absent those tools, why do you assume they simply just do not?

Senor Tron posted:

Clearly a random sewer rat in medieval Europe had an eternal soul, because what are the odds of that particular rat existing at that particular time and place.

I was trying to explain this to my 8 year-old the other day. Probability and Possibility are easily conflated. He was confused about how events with tiny chances of happening, such as a mother having triplets, seemingly happen fairly often.

I explained it like this. Imagine you had 1 trillion people standing equal distances apart from each other in a square formation. You are standing above them, and toss a quarter into the pit they are in. Assume that the coin could somehow reach any of the trillion below.

The odds of any given person down there catching the coin are virtually non-existent. You could repeat the experiment for thousands of years and a particular person will never catch the coin even once. However:

The odds that someone will catch the coin are 100%. It will absolutely happen (interjection about missing the catch or dropping the coin aside, of course). That coin will land somewhere, and one of those people will have it, despite the nearly impossible odds of that particular person ever catching it. Everyone has equally terrible odds, but someone will certainly win.

Not the perfect answer to his question, but ELI5 enough, I figured.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 14, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010

tetSUOOO posted:

my soul is directly observable through the soul window i have had installed in my chest. It is purple, and has wavelength harmonization with my pooper, pulsating in tandem

You got the bad soul.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Cats and dogs have souls, sorry. You are partially correct that tarantulas have souls: most of them have souls.

Cats don't have souls, they steal them.

I believe their holding capacity is 9.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kids under 3 cant even process the words into concepts, they're not retaining every word ever heard and then repeating it later after they've learned to speak. I'm sure you could find a thousand stories about kids that age talking about things they have had absolutely no exposure to.

Perhaps, but it is far more likely than that they are processing entire past lives.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

What if we end up with so many living things one day that there aren't any souls left in the soul bank? Will it be impossible for women to get pregnant at that point, or will the children just come out soulless?

That's why you bring them to church.

The magic man says the magic words and dunks you in the magic water and tadaa, you have a soul.

Edit: avoid cameras though or you'll have to do it all over again.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

We're basically in agreement except for some semantics. Suppose soul matter

Why assume souls are composed of matter?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

If souls are made of matter and they inhabit a body wouldn't that show up on scans and stuff? Or is it quantum matter where when you observe it then it isn't matter. Because quantum.

Like all magical things, it can't be detected by anything at all but I still know it exists and exactly how it works because reasons.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Those are bad souls, so they don't get reincarnated is the cop out answer is guess, which is both lame *and* dumb as an answer.

I read this as "they get reincarnated as cops" at first.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

so a personally spiritual answer is probably better than trying to figure out the mechanics of it.

Not really. There's no difference between this and outright fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Believing in a spiritual soul is a fantasy? You really think a person dies forever and there is nothingness for all infinity (even though there is actually provably somethingness for all infinity)? Call me the quantum soul guy, but I'm guessing what you believe is a nihilistic oversimplification mostly influenced by conventional physics?

It isn't pretty, but given what we currently know, this would seem to be the case.

I'll change my mind if presented good, solid evidence otherwise, but yeah, you are just engaging in pure wishful thinking.

You don't like the idea of a universe in which you will someday completely cease to exist, but your personal distaste for that idea does not make it any less likely to be true.

It certainly doesn't make the Woo you are spouting any more likely to be true. Do you really not see that you're just completely making poo poo up with absolutely no verifiable details at all?

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 19, 2024