Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i think.... we might

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
if by terraform you mean make a new hole in the dirt and fuse some rock and dust into new rock at reentry speeds, then sure.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I don’t think humans will ever live in space, I think it’s more likely we engineer some kind of artificial intelligence and launch those into space as robots, and that any space fairing society will have done the same thing

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

terraforming mars will realistically take hundreds of years at least so not unless we manage to extend the human lifespan a shitload

living in domes on mars though maybe

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op my friends and I have already done just that in the hit board game “Terraforming Mars”

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
no

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

ya op, it's easy. just run

terraform apply

and then type yes

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i'm more into terrorforming mars. like in doom.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

nobody is going to mars as long as there's a single boomer left alive to whine about the cost

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
maybe. nah. i dunno? yeah possibly. we'll just have to wait n see

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Terraforming mars requires the exact same long term thinking and investment that cleaning up earth would so no we won’t ever do it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
visit mars? maybe

terraform? no, lol. even if it were possible, it'd take an extremely long time. none of us would ever see it

but mars doesn't and can't really have an atmosphere anymore, so unless we crack that nut it's not happening anyway

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i wouldn't bet against humanity introducing some bioengineered lichen on the martian surface in my lifetime

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
unless we figure out how to stop (mars' accelerating) atmospheric escape, it's not going to matter

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

unless we discover something on mars that is worth exploiting there will never be a reason to go there :capitalism:

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet
Can't terraform a planet that's incapable of holding on to an atmosphere. This is just a hairbrained, ideas-guy-esque thing that dunderheads like Elon Musk thinks is possible.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
as someone who is working on a game about inhabiting space and terraforming planets, no, not under capitalism

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MaliciousBiz posted:

Can't terraform a planet that's incapable of holding on to an atmosphere. This is just a hairbrained, ideas-guy-esque thing that dunderheads like Elon Musk thinks is possible.

it's so unlikely to happen that even in star trek set in star trek's future (i.e. picard, set in the 25th century) mars is a desolate wasteland that requires specific indoors habitats for colonization

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
elong musk will rule over a Green Mars by 2030

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

op my friends and I have already done just that in the hit board game “Terraforming Mars”

hell yes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn posted:

as someone who is working on a game about inhabiting space and terraforming planets, no, not under capitalism

im glad we finally have an expert itt

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
i'm gonna terraform uranus, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

no, we will use cdk instead